What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gronk

Staff member
Gus said:
The constant perception and rumours that tell us there are several NRL clubs spending anything from $1 million to even $3 million over the salary cap level each year thanks to private sponsorships. Whether these rumours or perceptions are true or not, whether these extra payments are actually legal or not, weighs heavily on the minds on those in charge of clubs who do not have access to such support.
:shock::shock:

Yet no monkey business Toddy said. ;-)

superparra

Juniors
I remember leering at Melbourne fans when their salary cap scandal broke that I was disgusted in their willingness to stand by a club that was so intentionally deceptive.

This is such a strange feeling. I feel personally let down by each and every board member that had a hand in this saga. I'm absolutely shattered for BA and the players. But most of all, I just can't wrap my head around why it seems that the board have had their own self interest at heart for as long as I can remember. I just don't get how anyone who loves the club could have the conscience to do this.

I know the chances are about a million to one, but I hope that the NRL can be consistent with this moving forward. I'd love to think that all teams are under the salary cap but this simply can't be the case. I hope that any other team that has made mistakes like our board has, will feel the full wrath of the NRL as we have today.

I'll be cheering my heart out for 12/15.

woddy

Juniors
If Melbourne take the NRL to court, couldn't we take the NRL to court because we're not being allowed to offer pay cuts to keep the squad (which was offered to the Dogs in '02)?

I hope we can get some relief if the squad decide that this is on the cards . Same rules different playing field with us it seems.

phantom eel

First Grade
I reckon the NRL will (eventually) accept Watmough's insurance-covered retirement as a means of us shedding the $570K we need in order to play for points again.

When they delete Watmough's contract for the season (let's call it $600K including TPA) from the cap, of course we then have to replace him in the top 25 with someone on (say) minimum $80K wage. So we'll likely still be $50K out.

If Morgs was in the top 25 and Melbourne are paying him $130K for the remainder of the season, that would cover us for the remaining $50K of the cap breach, plus the $80K for his minimum wage replacement into the top 25. If Morgs wasn't in the top 25 - or if Storm didn't pay him $130K, then we need to shed some dollars elsewhere.

Being able to play for points in the next 10 days before the Souths game is very doable - but only if Watmough's insurance company rules that it was a new (not pre-existing) injury that has forced his retirement, and the NRL rules the payout cap-exempt.

IFR33K

Coach
Why you angry the NRL? We freakn cheated, if it were another club you would not want them to compete. NRL just did their job. We need to cop our punishment.

Funny thing is that there's still a glimmer of hope we could make it. But yourself absorbed good governance mates are digging in their heels and not falling on their swords. There's a small window NOW WHERE THEY CAN RESIGN and give us a chance to play for some points starting with the Souths game. But with legal action taking place it's highly doubtful.

So instead of taking your anger out on the NRL. Give your plumbing mate a call and ask him to resign.

#goodgovernance

Mate, by all accounts the NRL have known for at least two weeks that we were in the poo. Why did it take so long for them to penalise us????? They even waited till after Sydney's blockbuster, because they didn't want their findings to have a negative impact on crowds or ratings. Had they handed us their findings two weeks ago, we may be here, sitting on 4 points. But now they've basically killed our season.

Gronk

Staff member
I remember leering at Melbourne fans when their salary cap scandal broke that I was disgusted in their willingness to stand by a club that was so intentionally deceptive.

This is such a strange feeling. I feel personally let down by each and every board member that had a hand in this saga. I'm absolutely shattered for BA and the players. But most of all, I just can't wrap my head around why it seems that the board have had their own self interest at heart for as long as I can remember. I just don't get how anyone who loves the club could have the conscience to do this.

I know the chances are about a million to one, but I hope that the NRL can be consistent with this moving forward. I'd love to think that all teams are under the salary cap but this simply can't be the case. I hope that any other team that has made mistakes like our board has, will feel the full wrath of the NRL as we have today.

I'll be cheering my heart out for 12/15.

Me too mate. Nice post.

I looked down at the Dogs for their cheating, I looked down at the Storm for theirs. It is hard to believe our leaders are so stupid as to copy them both especially in the clubs political environment.

In Legal terms, we have been charged with an offense. Now it would seem is the time to test those charges in a court of law, both with the NRL, the NRL appeals committee and then I get the feeling the courts.

I will not pretend to harbour any hope for this season being able to continue without this stigma, but I am almost positive that come next year the term "Salary Cap" will have a vastly different meaning.

Mate, by all accounts the NRL have known for at least two weeks that we were in the poo. Why did it take so long for them to penalise us????? They even waited till after Sydney's blockbuster, because they didn't want their findings to have a negative impact on crowds or ratings. Had they handed us their findings two weeks ago, we may be here, sitting on 4 points. But now they've basically killed our season.

I agree about the lateness of the NRL's decision. And you know what they probably don't want us to make it. But again, it's not their doing. They didn't force us to. Cheat and creat this issue. This is all on our managements heads. Direct your fury at them. Even now our management don't want to resign. They are hampering any flukey chance that we may have ie 12-15.

I reckon the NRL will (eventually) accept Watmough's insurance-covered retirement as a means of us shedding the $570K we need in order to play for points again.

When they delete Watmough's contract for the season (let's call it $600K including TPA) from the cap, of course we then have to replace him in the top 25 with someone on (say) minimum $80K wage. So we'll likely still be $50K out.

If Morgs was in the top 25 and Melbourne are paying him $130K for the remainder of the season, that would cover us for the remaining $50K of the cap breach, plus the $80K for his minimum wage replacement into the top 25. If Morgs wasn't in the top 25 - or if Storm didn't pay him $130K, then we need to shed some dollars elsewhere.

Being able to play for points in the next 10 days before the Souths game is very doable - but only if Watmough's insurance company rules that it was a new (not pre-existing) injury that has forced his retirement, and the NRL rules the payout cap-exempt.

Don't forget the NRL won't allow points while the 5 officials remain.

I looked down at the Dogs for their cheating, I looked down at the Storm for theirs. It is hard to believe our leaders are so stupid as to copy them both especially in the clubs political environment.

In Legal terms, we have been charged with an offense. Now it would seem is the time to test those charges in a court of law, both with the NRL, the NRL appeals committee and then I get the feeling the courts.

I will not pretend to harbour any hope for this season being able to continue without this stigma, but I am almost positive that come next year the term "Salary Cap" will have a vastly different meaning.

So you reckon the board will dig in and challenge the legitimacy of The salary cap?

phantom eel

First Grade
What if the third party sponsor terminates the agreement and stops paying......
In that case I reckon the NRL would deem the TPA value needs to be added to the overall contract value and be counted on the cap - unless another TPA donor can be found.

An alternative might be for players/their managers to all source additional (legitimate) TPA sponsors, and then agree to reduce the salary cap portion of their salaries accordingly, when registering the new contracts with the NRL? That's a lot to do in 10 days though... and might only be feasable if we are within say $50K/one contract amendment of where we need to be (after the Watmough salary hopefully comes off our cap).

IFR33K

Coach
I've never claimed its the Nrls fault. Of course it's the fault of whoever master minded it. Sharp?? Da??? Idk who the mastermind is, but God help us.

The NRL has only left us with a slight chance of making it to ensure there's still interest. To protect their ratings.

The board still has my support if there's any chance of reducing the points deduction. If there's no chance of that, they can f**k off yesterday. :)

So you reckon the board will dig in and challenge the legitimacy of The salary cap?

I think that this is not over by the longest shot. But what they will do, I have no actual idea.

Just a hypothetical, imagine we present proof we are under the cap, that is tested legally and found accurate. What would that do to the game ?

But then you have the matter of the board staying on and challenging. NRL won't let us play for points whilst the good governance crew are around. Apparently even if we do get 100 signatures to have a extra ord AGM, board needs 21 days notice for this to happen. Our only hope is if the board grows a conscience and resigns before the Souths game.

phantom eel

First Grade
Don't forget the NRL won't allow points while the 5 officials remain.
That bit's easily fixed at the stroke of 5 pens, once they help get us under the cap to the NRL's satsifaction.

Once they have completed their responses (five day timeframe?) I don't think any of them will "hold on" to the detriment of the club starting to play for points, so long as they have an appeal avenue via the courts (next hearing this Friday - case could all be over well before the Souths game).

phantom eel

First Grade
But then you have the matter of the board staying on and challenging. NRL won't let us play for points whilst the good governance crew are around. Apparently even if we do get 100 signatures to have a extra ord AGM, board needs 21 days notice for this to happen. Our only hope is if the board grows a conscience and resigns before the Souths game.

That bit's easily fixed at the stroke of 5 pens, once they help get us under the cap to the NRL's satsifaction.

Once they have completed their responses (five day timeframe?) I don't think any of them will "hold on" to the detriment of the club starting to play for points, so long as they have an appeal avenue via the courts (next hearing this Friday - case could all be over well before the Souths game).

IFR33K

Coach

The courts can always overrule the NRL....geez the NRL didn't want Souths in the Comp. remind me how that panned out????

I think that this is not over by the longest shot. But what they will do, I have no actual idea.

Just a hypothetical, imagine we present proof we are under the cap, that is tested legally and found accurate. What would that do to the game ?

Hypothetically it would change the laws of the game and the way the salary cap is applied and the game would be in limbo.

In real life, the NRL has ammo. We rorted the cap, they have found fake invoices. Check mate.

Hypothetically it would change the laws of the game and the way the salary cap is applied and the game would be in limbo.

In real life, the NRL has ammo. We rorted the cap, they have found fake invoices. Check mate.

Well I want to see those claims tested or admitted to. One or the other. Before I pass judgement.

And while we appeal, we are still 5th and playing for points every round.

phantom eel

First Grade
But the NRL simply has to tighten up teh whole system from next year onwards.

There was refernece in Greenburg's statement (nrl.com) that the next phase of this investigation (for them) is to examine the role of managers and players, with the inference that they believe some players (allegedly knowingly?) received cash payments beyond their registered salary.

if the NRL reveals (form their 750,000 documents) that player managers are willingly negotiating/accepting these type of arrangements, then that could blow open the whole cap/TPA/contract registration/manager involvement system... reference Gould's article above for the first (semi-official/influential) murmurings that clubs derive different benefits from the TPA system and hence the playing field isn't level.

We may not escape our penalty in any way, but I agree with MITS - things are going to be big changes one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.