What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kornstar

Coach
So when the Daily Telegraph pounds the living bejesus out of your ar$e and one of the factions runs a campaign against you because you're continuing to run last and you have a choice of
* doing the right thing and continue to run last;
* doing something dodgy, which is probably the way most successful clubs are doing things, and hope it works out;
* fall on your sword and let DF have his way;

Which one would you choice?

Do the right thing. In my job there are many ways to do dodgy things but there is always a potential consequence. Why bother when I am held accountable?

Knowledge is power, Denis has the knowledge so in fighting that you need to absolutely know what you are talking about and arguing. Surely governing bodies and regulators etc. are a wealth of information and there would be people within those organisations that you could go to for information?

Denis is not the only person on earth that knows how to run the business. Network, ask questions and get guidance. There is a shit load of legislation, awards and knowledge I have to hold in doing my job, how do you think I got that?

My workplace is a political shit fight as well, you just need to play the game. I play it every day knowing that my enemy is also my friend at times and then back to my enemy. You use it to your advantage.

Our board seemed to like the prestige of being on the board rather than actually bothering to know anything.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
There is no indication that they will not resign as per the NRL orders. I think what they have done is sought relief (injunction) to enable them to carry out their normal functions whilst they respond, shed players etc. IIRC the orders from the NRL stated that they must cease all activities with the club EXCEPT to respond to the breach notice.

As Sterlo said yesterday, who at the club will be able to manage the player shed if those capable are prevented from working at the club in that capacity ?
Pretty sure they were able to that anyway, they were allowed to get us cap complient and work on thief defence. That was all but Keep supporting your hero, the time to do the right for the club has passed, they had that chance as late as last week to come clean and help the club out. They refused, now they take the NRL to court to waste club funds and piss the NRL off more to save their useless hides.

jono

Juniors
Just to remind folk of the emperor's acumen, wasn't it Denis who never bothered to call Gene Miles back in the '80s when he was apparently keen to come to the eels?
And when Steve Ella gave him the heads up on a talented teenager by the name of D.Lockyer again nothing was ever done?
Just sayin'......

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Pretty sure they were able to that anyway, they were allowed to get us cap complient and work on thief defence. That was all but Keep supporting your hero, the time to do the right for the club has passed, they had that chance as late as last week to come clean and help the club out. They refused, now they take the NRL to court to waste club funds and piss the NRL off more to save their useless hides.

I think they could work on response but not work on getting cap in order.

Kornstar

Coach
To follow up, a lot of people are worn down by Raay and the emperor, but that is no reason to fold and let power return, that is a weak outcome

Yes, it's good to stop a headache, but it is not the right thing by th club and fans

Like I said yesterday, what a lot of people who don't follow the club closely will remember is the time Denis was here had none of these issues. If these people are members they may feel compelled to vote in future elections to go back to when everything seemed fine and we made the finals a lot more than now.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Just to remind folk of the emperor's acumen, wasn't it Denis who never bothered to call Gene Miles back in the '80s when he was apparently keen to come to the eels?
And when Steve Ella gave him the heads up on a talented teenager by the name of D.Lockyer again nothing was ever done?
Just sayin'......

And we had to merge with the Tigers and appointed Hagan on his own

Chipmunk

Coach
Do the right thing. In my job there are many ways to do dodgy things but there is always a potential consequence. Why bother when I am held accountable?

Knowledge is power, Denis has the knowledge so in fighting that you need to absolutely know what you are talking about and arguing. Surely governing bodies and regulators etc. are a wealth of information and there would be people within those organisations that you could go to for information?

Denis is not the only person on earth that knows how to run the business. Network, ask questions and get guidance. There is a shit load of legislation, awards and knowledge I have to hold in doing my job, how do you think I got that?

My workplace is a political shit fight as well, you just need to play the game. I play it every day knowing that my enemy is also my friend at times and then back to my enemy. You use it to your advantage.

Our board seemed to like the prestige of being on the board rather than actually bothering to know anything.

in your current workplace if you are unable to achieve completely unattainable benchmarks, that in reality are impossible to achieve, would you be sacked anyway?

ek999

First Grade
We had plenty of time to restructure the playing roster before June 30 to ensure that we are under the cap this year. What the NRL have done has screwed us massively by letting everyone know that we need to shed players fast, and they have us over a barrel. We won't get anything like their true value.

It's a cop out blaming the NRL. They gave you multiple opportunities to come clean and get everything in order. If the club acted when given the chance you wouldn't be in this mess

Kornstar

Coach
in your current workplace if you are unable to achieve completely unattainable benchmarks, that in reality are impossible to achieve, would you be sacked anyway?

What were the impossible benchmarks that the board were given?

I would be sacked if I committed the acts that these guys have allegedly committed.

Chipmunk

Coach
What were the impossible benchmarks that the board were given?

I would be sacked if I committed the acts that these guys have allegedly committed.

If the team was running last at the last election then the board would have been sacked at last years AGM. The benchmark was success on the field, which was really unattainable given the situation the club found itself in.

It appears that they have chosen to do some dodgy things to get the team more competitive and get themselves re-elected. Having said that, I'd be surprised if similar behaviour wasn't being conducted by the previous administration also, but I could be wrong.

What I'm trying to say is that you, or whoever now comes into the place, is going to be faced with the exact same dilemma's that the current board faced.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member

No, you're wrong. Greenberg said that the staff were ONLY permitted to act in response to the breach notice and nothing else.

All of the above is just regurgitated News Ltd / Raaay hysteria.

Kornstar

Coach
If the team was running last at the last election then the board would have been sacked at last years AGM. The benchmark was success on the field, which was really unattainable given the situation the club found itself in.

It appears that they have chosen to do some dodgy things to get the team more competitive and get themselves re-elected. Having said that, I'd be surprised if similar behaviour wasn't being conducted by the previous administration also, but I could be wrong.

What I'm trying to say is that you, or whoever now comes into the place, is going to be faced with the exact same dilemma's that the current board faced.

Of course they are but going the dodgy way has clearly not been the right way, otherwise we wouldn't be needing the #12from15 hashtag would we?

We need someone up to the task who will live and breath the club, just like our coach does but from an administrative perspective who will leave no stone unturned.

Essentially all you can do is communicate with the people who you report to and be open and honest. Don't shit on those before you just lay out the facts. We are in a mess which is irrelevant how we got here but we are tasked with cleaning it up. The time frame is x amount of years and these are the steps we are going to take to gain your trust.

We will update you on our progress (and set dates and times that you will achieve this) and take you along for the ride if you are interested.

Clear and transparent. We now have a PWC audit with results and governance guidelines that the NRL have recommended. The next guys just have to stick to that and not deviate. It's pretty simple. Have open and honest relationships with the NRL and it can only benefit you.

Do I think it is easy, f**k no. If you aren't doing anything wrong though and communicate effectively to the people you report to, i.e the voting members and the NRL then you are heading in the right direction. We have a good coach now, we just need the administrative side to catch up and support him!

IFR33K

Coach
Here's a question. What if the board are still in power in 2017, we still playing for zero points???

ash411

Bench
Of course they are but going the dodgy way has clearly not been the right way, otherwise we wouldn't be needing the #12from15 hashtag would we?

We need someone up to the task who will live and breath the club, just like our coach does but from an administrative perspective who will leave no stone unturned.

Essentially all you can do is communicate with the people who you report to and be open and honest. Don't shit on those before you just lay out the facts. We are in a mess which is irrelevant how we got here but we are tasked with cleaning it up. The time frame is x amount of years and these are the steps we are going to take to gain your trust.

We will update you on our progress (and set dates and times that you will achieve this) and take you along for the ride if you are interested.

Clear and transparent. We now have a PWC audit with results and governance guidelines that the NRL have recommended. The next guys just have to stick to that and not deviate. It's pretty simple. Have open and honest relationships with the NRL and it can only benefit you.

Do I think it is easy, f**k no. If you aren't doing anything wrong though and communicate effectively to the people you report to, i.e the voting members and the NRL then you are heading in the right direction. We have a good coach now, we just need the administrative side to catch up and support him!

Agree with this. Also being clear and open would also help stave off the white-anting. If there are no secrets, there is nothing to leak. Put everything out there, so that when someone tries to fire at the board in the hopes of de-stabilising it, they have no ammo to fire with.

If we have a strong board that get the job done as best they can, and are honest and work within the rules, there's nothing to go to the media about.

That was the current boards undoing, yeah it was a dog act leaking the dodgy dealings to the media & the NRL, but if they hadn't been dodgy there would have been nothing to leak in the first place.

Kornstar

Coach
I could see that in a nice frame in your office at home Korny... :lol:

knowing you and how much you hate teaching people anything, makes the education degree much funnier..

I've already organised a frame and will be going up on the weekend!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts