What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratchy

Juniors
The most important thing is the club short and long term is to get the team playing for points against Souths. It has to happen or I believe it will take along time for the club to recover to be a legitimate chance of being a force again.

So that means the 5 should stand down for the good of the club and continue to fight to clear their names if they truly believe in their innocence.

Eelectrica

Referee
Well when you do something wrong there is normally a punishment, that's right you think the board did nothing wrong at all and condone cheating.

One thing I could always say when I copped shit for following the Eels and the fact we are so shit was that at least my team aren't a bunch of scummy cheats. Well that now is gone thanks to Sharp and his team.
+1
I've been lurking in this thread. I'm just over the NRL lately.
I'd prefer to win 10 spoons legitimately than 1 comp by cheating. It's a stigma that never goes away.
Person I'm most disappointed in is DA. If anyone should have known better, it's him.
I'll see how it plays out, but I'm just about over it. Id still prefer a bullet to the head than follow AFL though, so there's that.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Not sure if this timing works

The 3 directors stood down were on board during the reign of the so called rogue CEO, when the current board was elected he was gone within 2 months, does the punishment relate to the time those 3 were there and the problems grew, should they have known earlier?

The football office guys, is their suspension related to the fact they did not come forward during the investigation

Again not sure if this could be relevant, didn't the NRL advise the board that they would not allow a presentation until the review was complete . Then they then deregistered them, therefore denying that board an opportunity for their full explanation

I understand the NRL hold the cards, perhaps the suspended parties should be heard

If the protagonists come into the clubs as a result , that rewards the tactics re leaks and media mates, would be a terrible precedent going forward

Did they say why they were stood down?
Seems baffling (to me) that they wouldn't be told why, and that he wouldn't announce why...

eel01s

Bench
Agreed. I have HATED the Storm since their cheating ways were revealed in 2010. It looks like we aren't much better. Hopefully there is some good news when the NRL hands out the final verdict (after reviewing our response to the breach notice).

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well when you do something wrong there is normally a punishment, that's right you think the board did nothing wrong at all and condone cheating.

One thing I could always say when I copped shit for following the Eels and the fact we are so shit was that at least my team aren't a bunch of scummy cheats. Well that now is gone thanks to Sharp and his team.

So if you're going to f**king crow about deserving the punishment, don't whinge about having to lose players we cheated to sign.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well have they ever been caught??? Where they stupid enough to put in their mins that they plan to cheat??? They do have massive advantages over us because of the people who run their clubs and the reach they have in business. I know everyone got shitty with Jake over his plumber jibe but that's what he was. Compare him to Politis, Dib, Lafranchi and the guys who run the backroom of the Broncos.

Do you reckon those guys would be interested in running those clubs if their voting members were a bunch of backstabbers and snitches?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yes, the 5 could go immediately.
Yes, the club (of what is left anyway) could still disagree with the breech notice.

But if the club disagrees with the breach notice then the NRL will not assist them with the salary cap issue, (essentially Watmough off the books) so the club will not play for points until there is no disagreement with the breach notice, the club accepts the punishment in full and the team is under the salary cap.

The issuing of Preliminary Findings and allowing the club to respond is all about procedural fairness, but if the club dissents then forget about playing for points. The NRL essentially has played a strong strategic move.

Surely it qualifies as duress.

Gronk

Staff member
Denis Fitzgerald isn't the answer, says Mick Cronin

Denis Fitzgerald isn't the answer to Parramatta's off-field crisis, says club legend Michael Cronin.
The Eels have gone through 25 directors and six chief executives since 2009 when Fitzgerald was ousted by the club seven years ago, and face even more turmoil with five board and staff members facing deregistration from the NRL after the salary cap scandal.
And while Cronin – who coached under Fitzgerald for four years – said his 30-year reign was the most stable in the club's history, he doesn't believe the former boss is the club's answer.
"I think it's fair to say Denis has got a lot of enemies," Cronin said.
"I'm not one of them but they won't want him back.
"That'd be going backwards, you're going back to another faction that the other three hate."
Instead, Cronin believes the club must rid itself of warring factions and embrace stability if they wish to move forward.
"They need a stable board and people running it," Cronin said.
"There have been factions there since when Denis Fitzgerald was put out and there have been factions every year since.
"The thing about it, once they are beaten there always seems to be people in the background sniping at the people in charge."
However he admits it's a lot easier said than done.
"Everyone will quote Jack Gibson's `success starts at the top' ... but there seems to be a lot of drama there," Cronin said.
"You're looking for someone to come in and take over and rule with an iron fist that everybody likes. They're hard to find."
Cronin also remains a close friend and former teammate of current chairman Steve Sharp, who on Tuesday night along with four other key board and staff members successfully filed for an injunction against the NRL's attempts to deregister them.
Such a move could threaten the Eels' hopes of accruing points again next Friday against South Sydney, and while Cronin admits he doesn't know the finer details, isn't sure the group's decision is the right one for the club.
"I think the smartest thing would be to stand down, just so the players have got hope and the fans have got hope," Cronin said.
Cronin scored 75 tries in a 10-year career for the Eels which yielded four premierships.
AAP

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ick-cronin-20160504-gom391.html#ixzz47kvovCzp
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Gronk

Staff member
Adrian Proszenko ‏@proshenks 41m41 minutes ago
BREAKING: Bernie Gurr - anointed by Peter Sterling as the man to take over at @TheParraEels - says he is interested in the job #NRL

eels_fan

First Grade
Bernie Gurr, anointed by Peter Sterling as the man to take the reins at strife-torn Parramatta, believes the club's salary cap problems are easily fixed and wants to lead the repair operation.
Gurr already has extensive experience as an NRL club CEO, having overseen the Roosters from 1995 to 2003 before shifting to the United States to take up senior executive roles. He was shortlisted as a replacement for outgoing NRL boss Dave Smith before Todd Greenberg ultimately got the job.
Speaking on Fox Sports' Sterlo On The Couch program, Sterling nominated Gurr as the ideal person take over his beloved Eels following the salary cap scandal. "I know who it should be - it's Bernie Gurr," Sterling said. "He's based in the States, but don't be fooled by that. He is a pre-eminent thinker when it comes to rugby league. He's stayed very close to the NRL."

Speaking from the US, Gurr said he was flattered by the comments and confirmed his interest in a role at Parramatta.
"I'd be interested in exploring it, for sure," Gurr told Fairfax Media. "No one has reached out to me as yet. Peter is a very respected voice in the game, he has a lot of integrity. Whenever he talks, people are very respectful of what he says because of his knowledge and intelligence on the game. I was very flattered that he even considered I could potentially help Parramatta.
"It should be a powerhouse club. They have everything going for them, a big junior base, a terrific supporter base, a wealthy leagues club. They have one of the better NRL grounds and they will get an even better one when they build them a new one in a couple of years.
Solid resume: Bernie Gurr.
Solid resume: Bernie Gurr. Photo: LinkedIn
"You look at all the criteria you could possibly earmark for a successful Sydney club, Parramatta pretty much ticks every box. They should perennially be a very competitive club, no doubt about it."
Gurr said the appointment of a strong board and management team at Parramatta could result in a speedy turnaround for the embattled club. "Usually these salary cap [issues] are self inflicted, that's just the reality," he said. "You need a strong, competent board and front office to set the path right. Organisations that are consistently well run and competitive every year have good people inside of them. Good boards, front office and coaching staff. If you put good people in those three areas, you can become competitive very quickly."
Despite his time overseas, Gurr remains one of the game's best thinkers. He has published several papers on issues affecting rugby league, with his thoughts on the salary cap, the controversial third-party agreement system and player payments more timely now than ever.
Gurr has previously told Fairfax Media the NRL should publish player salaries and pay them out of head office to prevent the system from being rorted.
"[The Parramatta scandal] has reinforced those points," he said. "The salary cap is a must to monitor spending and keep the clubs financially sustainable. Does it need tweaking? Yes it does. All payments should come from the NRL clearing house. There should be a limit on third-party agreements - if you have a salary cap you can't have a major component that is totally inequitable. There's no doubt it favours the clubs that have either contacts in the big end of town in Sydney or they are one team, one town situations such as the Warriors, Broncos, Storm and, to an extent, the Cowboys.
"For a number of other clubs they don't have the same TPA capability and that's not fair because it should be about equity."
Gurr said the publishing of player salaries would ensure transparency for the game.
"The players are in a public sport that's very analogous to a public company where they publish salaries and compensation to board members and senior executives," he said. "These clubs are effectively public assets and it's not unreasonable to have the salaries published.
"It makes for good theatre too. People can ask 'why is your left centre earning $350,000 when my my centre killed him last week and is only on $250,000. It adds positive drama and theatre, unlike what we're hearing now with rorting of the cap."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ernie-gurr-20160505-gon2dk.html#ixzz47kqvs19d

Swiftstylez

Bench
Get him. Get him fast

Or we can not walk like sheep to the slaughter?

Let the board have their right of reply to the allegations and see if we can get out of the mess before we pull the pin.

This season is done and dusted if the allegations are entirely correct and stand, the NRL will not see us lift the premiership trophy come hell or high water.

Trial by media, now NRL has added trial by fans into the account by dangling the little carrot.

The natural order of justice must play it's course

Forty20

First Grade
Person I'm most disappointed in is DA. If anyone should have known better, it's him.

That was my initial reaction on Tuesday as well mate but (attempting to phrase this in a way that won't cause trouble) if the tip I got is correct DA might actually be desperately unlucky to be caught up in this all.

ash411

Bench
Or we can not walk like sheep to the slaughter?

Let the board have their right of reply to the allegations and see if we can get out of the mess before we pull the pin.

This season is done and dusted if the allegations are entirely correct and stand, the NRL will not see us lift the premiership trophy come hell or high water.

Trial by media, now NRL has added trial by fans into the account by dangling the little carrot.

The natural order of justice must play it's course

It's all a big frame up! we've done nothing wrong, the NRL just hates us and decided to do this to us this year cause we were a chance to win.

Even if we get under the cap, and satisfy all the conditions, they will just rig all our games so we can't get in the finals.

That's about right, isn't it Swifty?

Swiftstylez

Bench
It's all a big frame up! we've done nothing wrong, the NRL just hates us and decided to do this to us this year cause we were a chance to win.

Even if we get under the cap, and satisfy all the conditions, they will just rig all our games so we can't get in the finals.

That's about right, isn't it Swifty?

Hi Denis.

How's it going?

We may have been deceptive to the NRL and that pissed them off but we are in no way as rampantly out of control that the drumming up of the media leaks gave the impression of.

The only condition they care about is getting rid of the board.

It is worth contesting as if someone like Anderson is involved, there is probably more to it than meets the eye. Or do you just believe everything you are told without seeing the details?

Deceptive, maybe. Stupid, yes. Do we have an advantage this year? No... not compared to other teams over the last few years, whether legal or illegal. Not considering 800k has done nothing for us and filed for insurance a long time ago, yet the NRL is trying hard to not allow this to make us play for pts if he retires.

This season is over honey, may as well try to salvage some credibility. If the board has anything to combat the NRL with than they should be allowed to. If they don't then we walk blissfully into the sunset as cheaters in 2016.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
Journalists are funny merkins. Sterlo says Bernie Gurr. SMH googles him and calls him for a quote.

ATM he's CFO for a corporate relocation co in Huntington Beach CA.

He must be brave or crazy to take on the 3 (Fitzy, Spags, Sharp) factions. After all, as CEO he'll answer to the next version of the Board.

Status
Not open for further replies.