What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are plenty of good reasons for another Brisbane team including that it would be a decision (maybe the first in 30 years) that is against the best interests of the Broncos. The current feeling that the Broncos are protected (in addition to having TPA advantages) is probably a leading cause of other clubs looking at cheating the cap.

A new Brisbane rugby league team might inflict another wound on the Brisbane Lions as well. It would certainly weaken the Melbourne Storm (which would delight me) as it would dry up their source of players.

I thought the storm were attached to Brisbane Easts.

As for another Team inflicting wounds, paper cuts, seriously just paper cuts.

Delboy

First Grade
Not sure you are correct re Moanly and TPAs, that is not one of their strong points, the Rorters and the connections through their board and the ability to possibly use distant friends to cough up after calls from important people , has put them at the head of Sydney third party payments

Rather than Moanly , would suggest Canterbury and their ethnic based connections have much more access to TPAs

We should have been in a strong position, but the emperor made a point of telling potential sponsors of TPAs that it was his club , funding was via the Leagues club, we all know that was short sighted and has hurt us

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
I thought the storm were attached to Brisbane Easts.

As for another Team inflicting wounds, paper cuts, seriously just paper cuts.

True. It's not going to have a major impact and if it is a club that is poorly managed then it will have no impact (Crushers anyone?).

However, it would still be a step in the right direction and potentially something to build on in the future.

Oscarman

Juniors
True. It's not going to have a major impact and if it is a club that is poorly managed then it will have no impact (Crushers anyone?).

However, it would still be a step in the right direction and potentially something to build on in the future.
Don't think there will ever be a second team in Brisbane again. Broncos will not allow it - last time there was one they started their own comp.

Gronk

Staff member
Parramatta's so-called "gang of five" will on Tuesday learn whether their provisional NRL bans over the club's salary cap scandal will stand.

The NSW Supreme Court will on Tuesday hand down its findings after the five officials launched legal action after they were provisionally stripped of club duties.

Chairman Steve Sharp, chief executive John Boulous, head of football Daniel Anderson, deputy chairman Tom Issa and director Peter Serrao say the NRL failed to follow its own rules when it ordered them to show cause as to why they should not be de-registered over their alleged role in salary cap breaches.

The five were ordered to stand down as part of the governing body's preliminary punishments to Parramatta, which included the loss of competition points and a $1.25 million fine, for $3 million in systematic salary cap breaches.

Barristers Arthur Moses SC has previously told the court the plaintiffs had been the victims of a "public flogging" and they were not given adequate notice or a right of reply.

However the NRL has argued that the decision to suspended their registration was in line with the rule book.

The NRL last week granted the Eels a one-week extension to respond to its breach notice and given a new deadline of Friday.

The NRL is not expected to hand down its final findings into the scandal before next Monday.
http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016/06/06/eels-gang-five-learn-fate

Gronk

Staff member
I thought they decided not to go with the court proceedings

IIRC the last article suggested that a few were about to drop proceedings.

I get that they needed to seek injunction so they the unreasonable 5 business day rebuttal period was extended to 28 days. I don't get that they think that they have any legal right to overturn what the NRL have done. The NRL have not imposed any restriction on them being employed or holding office buy the club, they have simply removed their accreditation.

So like Trent Elkin, Steven Danks or John Hopoate, a club can't have you involved unless you have NRL accreditation.

I'm guessing that their only avenue is to pursue some sort of fit and proper person test and argue that their accreditation should not be removed. Pissing in the wind IMHO.

EelsFan05

Bench
Because they couldn't reach an agreement on who would pay costs, they decided to continue on with proceedings.

ash411

Bench

At least that's sorted now.

If they even think about appealing and carrying on with it it'll do my head in. I understand they have to maintain their innocence, more for appearances sake than anything else, hell they may even believe it themselves, but at some point you just have to cop it.

Whether or not each of them actually did something, they are complicit in it by allowing it to happen on their watch, which is bad enough, and at least some of them had to have a hand in it.

84 Baby

Referee
“In saying this the NRL will until it has made its determination of this Notice, and the Breach Notice that it has today issued to the Club, permit you to continue to participate in the management of the Club to:
(a) enable you to prepare your response to this Notice; and
(b) assist the Club to prepare its response to the Breach Notice.”

https://www.caselaw.nsw.gov.au/decision/575535f9e4b058596cb9bfcb

Except Tood has made it ambiguous over whether them doing so will inflict further punishment on club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts