What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if we are only getting half of Watmoughs salary removed, does that mean the NRL refused to backdate to when the injury occurred?
Where as realistically he was injuried 1/3 of the way into the year so we should get back 2/3 of his wages. But i wonder if the NRL ruled that because he then continued to train with the club that they would only discount 1/2 his wages.
As he tried to get back on the field so basically he only retired recently not when the injury happened.
Also pressure from other clubs, who are most likely using more dodgy TPA's then us but no one has dobbed them in yet.

strider

Post Whore
I think it also needs to be stressed that Schubert is the only person that has been quoted in all of these articles that speculate that we need to move another player along and none of his comments give me any reason to suggest that we are releasing a player unless this release was well under way anyway.

I think the media has been doing their own calculations for the sake of writing an article and they're all probably basing their information on the first person that came up with the reasoning that we need to get rid of another player.

Schubert saying "throw some numbers up in the air and see what happens." doesn't really indicate to me that he believes we need to offload any players.

You're right - throwing things up in the air and hoping they land well usually indicates having no f**kin idea :lol:

I think it also needs to be stressed that Schubert is the only person that has been quoted in all of these articles that speculate that we need to move another player along and none of his comments give me any reason to suggest that we are releasing a player unless this release was well under way anyway.

I think the media has been doing their own calculations for the sake of writing an article and they're all probably basing their information on the first person that came up with the reasoning that we need to get rid of another player.

Schubert saying "throw some numbers up in the air and see what happens." doesn't really indicate to me that he believes we need to offload any players.

Yep. And don't forget that it is not 'get compliant by Round 10 or get no points for rest of season', it's 'you don't earn points until you are compliant'. If we lose another (potential) two points by not rushing into a deal where we are bent over a barrel....so be it.

Chipmunk

Coach
Yes I agreed. It would just stuff our 2017 season.

If Watmough retires, this potentially frees up $750k for 2017 which the club probable hadn't budgeted for. We probably need a fair chunk to sign Norman but surely we could do some creative contract negotiations to use it to our advantage.

Interesting to see what happens to the squad next season. You'd suggest Melbourne will just retain Morgan next year and Watmough's full salary will be off the books. Obviously Junior's money is spare too. How much does this give us to spend next year?

Last edited:

EelsFan05

Bench
That's the bit that i have struggled to understand. We are basically being punished double the supposed cap breach roster wise as well as all our points.

Exactly. And if all TPA'S are being included in our cap, why aren't they coming off the cap in Watmoughs instance? The article is written as though his TPA'S aren't being removed from the breached amount.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Some merkins are saying that we should not weaken the squad for 2017 just to make an against the odds run for the 8. They would rather play for no points.

The way i see it playing for no points is stupid.

Release Jnr and we can play for points. Dont release Jnr and we cant play for points is the same result.

So unless Shuey has a cunning plan like extend Norman etc then we should let Jnr go IMHO.

thats what I'm leaning towards as well...

Glenn

First Grade
Rumors on Twitter from James Hooper, Peats will be the sacrificial lamb. :(
Edit:See above

84 Baby

Referee
I think there is some confusion in the media reports regarding replacement of say Paulo should he be released. The cap is your Top 25 player payments.
If Paulo is on $180k, and he's already been paid half then his cap value for the year would be $90k. If $90k means he is one of the Top 25 paid players in the club, then there is no reason for a "replacement" in the Top 25.
It would make management of the 2nd tier interesting however where exemptions can be applied for as necessary.
Should be the same with Watmough.
Imma keep bumping this post until someone shows me, that if they only take half off Watmough's salary, how then he doesn't remain a top 25 player for this season and therefore we don't need to replace him

It's a long time until 2017. And it's not as if we're guaranteed the title. I say do just about anything it takes to play for points this weekend. Even if we lose a good player, the boys'd be all like "let's do it for Morgs! Raaa!"

Status
Not open for further replies.