What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I trace all our problems with the appointment of an inexperienced dropkick in Stephen Kearney that assembled the worst team in parra history.

Worst decision ever.

You can only assented what you've got in front of you and in all fairness SK inherited an abortion thanks to DA

phantom eel

First Grade
Should never have been appointed, too smart for his own good and anyone else. Brian Smith was primed for the job until the "factions" got involved and his appointment was the give up to get BA over Jason Taylor

There is a reason he doesn't last long anywhere
Brian Smith lasting so long was one of the problems - I'm glad we didn't have Smith return again in 2013.

Anderson served at...
Warriors: 5 seasons 2001-04
St Helens: 5 seasons 2005-2008
Parra: almost 2 seasons 2009 gradfinalists-2010 (contract cut short)
That hardly looks like not lasting long, until Spags knifed him anyway?

phantom eel

First Grade
You can only assented what you've got in front of you and in all fairness SK inherited an abortion thanks to DA
Thanks to DA being cut short mid-contract by your mate Spags, you mean? ;-)

And don't people usually shoot through some blame for all that to Hagan as well...

Kornstar

Coach

May have been true but he add any value during his term and a rookie coach should never have been in that position!

The club has been an abortion since the day they hired Hagan!

Stagger eel

Staff member
Thanks to DA being cut short mid-contract by your mate Spags, you mean?

And don't people usually shoot through some blame for all that to Hagan as well...

Brilliant decision too...

Where is your mate DA now???

It's not our fault if your too ignorant to understand what was going on at the club at that time the junior system and structure was a bottomless pit that would of taken a few years to fix but unfortunately with everything we needed to fix it now hence why the 5 year plan wasn't allowed to get off the ground ... Given that you were only turning up to home games 2 minutes before the NRL started you wouldn't have understood what was going on.

Stagger eel

Staff member
May have been true but he add any value during his term and a rookie coach should never have been in that position!

The club has been an abortion since the day they hired Hagan!

I think if SK he probably would of made a real fist of it but I'm sure I'm the only one who believes that..

strider

Post Whore
I blame the mad merkin who decided to create a team in Parramatta back in 1947 ... if he had never done that we would not have been caught cheating

phantom eel

First Grade
Brilliant decision too...

Where is your mate DA now???
Where DA is now doesn't mean it was a good decision to cut him mid-contract and install... lolKearney the work experience coach.

But we know your love for Spags and his proganda back in the day knew no bounds...

what was going on at the club at that time the junior system and structure was a bottomless pit that would of taken a few years to fix but unfortunately with everything we needed to fix it now hence why the 5 year plan wasn't allowed to get off the ground ...
:lol: So all of that was DA's fault... not Hagan's like it used to be when it was talked about closer to the time. I guess that revision of history suits the current agendas for future control of the club board, for which I'll assume you'l be a willing pawn in the propaganda battles again?

Stagger eel

Staff member
I blame the mad merkin who decided to create a team in Parramatta back in 1947 ... if he had never done that we would not have been caught cheating

Yes mate his name is the Colonel Jack Argent ( I think ) commonly known as the 'mad merkin ' lol

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think cheating in an almost unbelievably inept manner has the most to do with where we are today. Perhaps they just needed more experience.

I think repeated changing of coaches is ultimately responsible for needing to cheat. With continued change of management came continued change of strategy, including periods between coaches, where we either signed/re-signed players according to no plan or made no market moves when the time was right for making such moves (e.g. any recruitment/retention decisions we make right now while we have no head of football operations). All these decisions (and non-decisions when a decision needed to be made) put us in a weak position regarding our squad and our salary cap, which put us in a weak position in the player market. This means we inflated player prices and got less for our money. Add to that we kept sacking players and paying them out (which meant they stayed in our cap), and cheating was the only way we could afford to spend enough on players to be any chance of competing.

The alternative was to not cheat and lose every single game. Why do you think Stuart left at the end of 2013? He could've stayed and continued getting paid big money.

Gronk

Staff member
There's a fraction too much factions in this thread. Move on merkins.

[youtube]6iGcCWysGK0[/youtube]

Stagger eel

Staff member
Where DA is now doesn't mean it was a good decision to cut him mid-contract and install... lolKearney the work experience coach.

But we know your love for Spags and his proganda back in the day knew no bounds...

:lol: So all of that was DA's fault... not Hagan's like it used to be when it was talked about closer to the time. I guess that revision of history suits the current agendas for future control of the club board, for which I'll assume you'l be a willing pawn in the propaganda battles again?

Keep running that angle you ignorant piece of shit....I've indicated on several occasions and I'll say it again that this club needs to be free of factions including spag fitzy and your mates... Not once not a single time through all this have you ever ever ever put the onus on the current merkins that have single handily ruined our club... Stop crying about their fall from grace ( they were never there to begin with ) and come on board Bart ... You're the only merkin who mentions the former Chairmans name whenever you're on here...time to get over it, it's become boring and reparative..

Last edited:
I think repeated changing of coaches is ultimately responsible for needing to cheat. With continued change of management came continued change of strategy, including periods between coaches, where we either signed/re-signed players according to no plan or made no market moves when the time was right for making such moves (e.g. any recruitment/retention decisions we make right now while we have no head of football operations). All these decisions (and non-decisions when a decision needed to be made) put us in a weak position regarding our squad and our salary cap, which put us in a weak position in the player market. This means we inflated player prices and got less for our money. Add to that we kept sacking players and paying them out (which meant they stayed in our cap), and cheating was the only way we could afford to spend enough on players to be any chance of competing.

The alternative was to not cheat and lose every single game. Why do you think Stuart left at the end of 2013? He could've stayed and continued getting paid big money.
I can see the logic in that but the fact remains that if we'd cheated just a little bit better, things would be nowhere near as bad as they are.

And Sticky could have realised that he'd made a hash of things and he'd rather coach Canberra anyway. Either that or family reasons.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Anderson wasn't here long, and was obviously under massive pressure for instant success given our '05-'07 premiership window had snapped shut the year before.

It turns out 2009 was the death rattle of our premiership window and Hagan had rapidly dismantled Brian Smith's 'academy'. To their credit, 3P identified the need for a rebuild and brought in personnel with long experience at clubs with good academies: Kearney, Arthur and Nolan. It's no surprise that Bennett has hung onto Kearney and snapped up Nolan. Brad Arthur wasn't long out of a job, going straight to premiership contenders Manly, and I dare say he is in some demand now as well.

strider

Post Whore
I can see the logic in that but the fact remains that if we'd cheated just a little bit better, things would be nowhere near as bad as they are.

And Sticky could have realised that he'd made a hash of things and he'd rather coach Canberra anyway. Either that or family reasons.

I agree ... its only illegal if you get caught

Gronk

Staff member
We made the 8 almost every year from 1997 to 2009. Special mention to 2003 and 2014 when we missed out by a bee's dick.

If you were involved in any of those years - good job.

If you were involved any year other than the above years - you're a useless merkin.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Anderson wasn't here long, and was obviously under massive pressure for instant success given our '05-'07 premiership window had snapped shut the year before.

It turns out 2009 was the death rattle of our premiership window and Hagan had rapidly dismantled Brian Smith's 'academy'. To their credit, 3P identified the need for a rebuild and brought in personnel with long experience at clubs with good academies: Kearney, Arthur and Nolan. It's no surprise that Bennett has hung onto Kearney and snapped up Nolan. Brad Arthur wasn't long out of a job, going straight to premiership contenders Manly, and I dare say he is in some demand now as well.

You're right every merkin since smith was under the pump..

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We made the 8 almost every year from 1997 to 2009. Special mention to 2003 and 2014 when we missed out by a bee's dick.

If you were involved in any of those years - good job.

If you were involved any year other than the above years - you're a useless merkin.

Arthur was involved from 2011 to the present, minus 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.