What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Salary Cap MK IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noise

Coach
Yes. Only for 6's and 7's. The major change is there is no referee. Both coaches do this. There is a max of 6 players on the field per team ( min 4). There is also now 6 tackles to a set. This is designed so that every player should get a run each set. Any players that knock on or run out, are to be deemed tackled.

The game is designed to be more enjoyable for the youngsters, and stop them quitting for soccer. Coaching both 6's and 7's, I have enjoyed the revamped model.

On a side note, if anyone has spare time, I suggest u get involved in junior league in any capacity. It's rather enjoyable. :D:D

I coach an under 14s team (not at Parra). It is enjoyable.

Kornstar

Coach
Couldn't agree more Korny when it is put like that.
Pretty much makes us all guilty at some time or another of bringing this club down to where it is now. I think Pou has suggested that once or twice.

Suity

Yep, I take complete blame for 3P, they sucked me in.

I can probably take blame for after that too cause I stopped voting after that and now i f**ked up and forgot to renew my membership to LC so now I can't vote at all.

Not that there have been better alternatives up for the board though. It is a popularity vote and ex players get lots of votes, even Riddell got way more votes than I thought he would in the last election.

Chipmunk

Coach
No. Junior clubs still have the game of 8's and onwards, every second weekend. Our junior club already hosted all the 6's and 7's on the south side. Every club will host these ages at least once in the season. I think our club profited 2k in canteen takings. There is no way we'd do that in a normal weekend. These age groups have been split up into north and south divisions. It stops parents travelling for instance from Fairfield to rouse hill for a 5 year old.

Like anything, it has it's pro's and cons. The NRL has done studies, and found we are losing 33% of kids of this age to soccer, After a year in league. They have restructured the way the game is played, coached and officiated.

I have enjoyed it to date.

Wow, how terrible that parents of 6 year olds might have to travel 30 mins for their kids to play a game of football! For most families in the country people travel that for or more even for their Home Games, let alone how far they have to go for Away games. You Sydney people need to get out in the real world

Last edited:

Chipmunk

Coach
Yes. Only for 6's and 7's. The major change is there is no referee. Both coaches do this. There is a max of 6 players on the field per team ( min 4). There is also now 6 tackles to a set. This is designed so that every player should get a run each set. Any players that knock on or run out, are to be deemed tackled.

The game is designed to be more enjoyable for the youngsters, and stop them quitting for soccer. Coaching both 6's and 7's, I have enjoyed the revamped model.

On a side note, if anyone has spare time, I suggest u get involved in junior league in any capacity. It's rather enjoyable. :D:D

Coached junior teams years ago, I found it annoying coaching kids that weren't interested and spent most of there time mucking around with each other and not concentrate on training. I'd never do it again.

hybrideel

Bench
I'm a trainer for my son's U6 team in Central Coast league. While it can be a pain getting up at 6 to take him up to Wyong and such for games, i'd much rather do that on a Saturday than get up at that same time to go to work. Our junior teams have 1 gala day a year, which coincidentally was today for us. We haven't had rule changes like the Parra league looks to have but some changes they did bring in recently was the 1 chance per set of tackles if you knock on, run out etc. They also removed goal kicks for 6 and 7 as most wouldn't get it and it really only wasted time.

Noise

Coach
Coached junior teams years ago, I found it annoying coaching kids that weren't interested and spent most of there time mucking around with each other and not concentrate on training. I'd never do it again.

I still reckon you are a better coach than Kearney

phantom eel

First Grade
Yep, I take complete blame for 3P, they sucked me in.

I can probably take blame for after that too cause I stopped voting after that and now i f**ked up and forgot to renew my membership to LC so now I can't vote at all.

Not that there have been better alternatives up for the board though. It is a popularity vote and ex players get lots of votes, even Riddell got way more votes than I thought he would in the last election.
Yep, our governance system is ridiculous - a minimal number of members voting for a Board (formerly Boards) from a candidate list full of factions (since 2009 anyway).

The sooner the NRL approves the independent directors that will be recommended by the club (by August deadline?) and then staggers the elections to remaining director positions to eliminate the factional chaos and hangers on, the better.

hindmarshisgod

Juniors
You can only assented what you've got in front of you and in all fairness SK inherited an abortion thanks to DA

Kearney had the philosophy of building a structured team based on a strong defense........................

and then he signed Chris Sandow...... no more needs to be said.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
No. Junior clubs still have the game of 8's and onwards, every second weekend. Our junior club already hosted all the 6's and 7's on the south side. Every club will host these ages at least once in the season. I think our club profited 2k in canteen takings. There is no way we'd do that in a normal weekend. These age groups have been split up into north and south divisions. It stops parents travelling for instance from Fairfield to rouse hill for a 5 year old.

Like anything, it has it's pro's and cons. The NRL has done studies, and found we are losing 33% of kids of this age to soccer, After a year in league. They have restructured the way the game is played, coached and officiated.

I have enjoyed it to date.

Yeah the Comp I follow splits 9's down into north / south and each group only play each other. Saves a shitloaf of travelling.

But definitely don't have gala days each weekend

Are your clubs required to pay the for refs for games at your ground ?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I'm a trainer for my son's U6 team in Central Coast league. While it can be a pain getting up at 6 to take him up to Wyong and such for games, i'd much rather do that on a Saturday than get up at that same time to go to work. Our junior teams have 1 gala day a year, which coincidentally was today for us. We haven't had rule changes like the Parra league looks to have but some changes they did bring in recently was the 1 chance per set of tackles if you knock on, run out etc. They also removed goal kicks for 6 and 7 as most wouldn't get it and it really only wasted time.

I found while there was no particular rule changes, refs for when my son played 6's and 7's were pretty easy going. They were pretty flexible and didn't pick up every knock and let quite a bit go. Makes sense as its non competitive.

ash411

Bench

Did you bring out an overhead projector with your name up on the wall?

ash411

Bench
Yep, our governance system is ridiculous - a minimal number of members voting for a Board (formerly Boards) from a candidate list full of factions (since 2009 anyway).

The sooner the NRL approves the independent directors that will be recommended by the club (by August deadline?) and then staggers the elections to remaining director positions to eliminate the factional chaos and hangers on, the better.

I wish they would fix up the voting system as well. It sucks that to be able to vote on who runs the NRL team, you have to be a member of the PLC.

I don't particularly want to be a member of the PLC, but have been a member of the NRL team, and I hate the fact that I can't have a say in how the team is run.

I would like to see the PNRL board separated from the PLC board again. I have no problem with the PLC having ownership of the team, and I also have no problem with the PLC having mandatory positions on the board (as in a set number, let's say 3) must be appointed by the PLC, that's fair enough. But the members of the NRL team (STH & BGA members) should be able to have a say on the rest of the board positions.

I know it won't happen, but I'm just saying it's be nice.

emjaycee

Coach
I wish they would fix up the voting system as well. It sucks that to be able to vote on who runs the NRL team, you have to be a member of the PLC.

I don't particularly want to be a member of the PLC, but have been a member of the NRL team, and I hate the fact that I can't have a say in how the team is run.

I would like to see the PNRL board separated from the PLC board again. I have no problem with the PLC having ownership of the team, and I also have no problem with the PLC having mandatory positions on the board (as in a set number, let's say 3) must be appointed by the PLC, that's fair enough. But the members of the NRL team (STH & BGA members) should be able to have a say on the rest of the board positions.

It may happen.
Some of us have been lobbying for this exact thing for a while and one outcome of the recent ugly mess is that we may be able to get this type of change effected now. Not sure we will do it in the next 12 months, but this level of change is something I know I have been vocal about in discussions with people who may be able to help effect this change.

FYI - my idea is that the PNRL board be comprised of:
3 x PLC Directors (to serve a 3 year term, but must be endorsed via a General Motion at the PLC Annual AGM)
2 x Independently Appointed Directors (shortlist approved by NRL and final selections to be by PNRL Board to serve a 3 year term)
1 x B&G Army Elected Director (voted on by online voting option every year with a one year term)
1 x Parramatta District Junior League nominated Director (selected by the junior clubs each year)

The PLC is the only shareholder in the PNRL and so they need to have a significant say on the PNRL Board;
The NRL really wants quality, independent people on the Board and this will satisfy there wishes as the licencee of the NRL Licence;
The B&G Army/Season Ticket Holder should be able to vote for one Director which would be a popular vote but at least it isn't the whole board)
The Junior Leagues Clubs could nominate one representative who wouldn't be "elected" and would change each year to ensure all clubs were given an opportunity to represent.

Just my thoughts, I am sure there are better ideas out there.

And this would help remove the factionalism that exists and would make the PLC elections less important to the media each year and to some of the shits that have been trying to use it as a soap box.

Last edited:

Chipmunk

Coach

What are they trying to achieve with this Independent board members?

Surely the PLC would always have to have control of the PNRL board?

If the PNRL board was seperate from the PLC board, and they had a difference of opinion, or lost control, then what's stopping the PLC just telling the PNRL to go and find its own money to pay for things? Money it could never find.

Outside of the players and coaching staff, etc. I'm guessing the PLC employs everyone else?

Last edited:

emjaycee

Coach
What are they trying to achieve with this Independent board members?

Surely the PLC would always have to have control of the PNRL board?

If the PNRL board was seperate from the PLC board, and they had a difference of opinion, or lost control, then what's stopping the PLC just telling the PNRL to go and find its own money to pay for things? Money it could never find.

Outside of the players and coaching staff, etc. I'm guessing the PLC employs everyone else?

My understanding is that the PNRL gets it's funding from 6 main sources:
- NRL Grant
- Gate Reciepts
- Memberships
- Corporate Sponsorships
- Merchandising
- And the PLC who makes up the 'difference' in a grant of sorts.

From this funding it pays for all costs incurred by the PNRL, including ground rental, training facilities, playing and non-playing staff, marketing, etc. Just like any other business. The PLC doesn't directly fund anything, although it does cover PNRL costs with the annual grant which varies year to year.

Chipmunk

Coach
My understanding is that the PNRL gets it's funding from 6 main sources:
- NRL Grant
- Gate Reciepts
- Memberships
- Corporate Sponsorships
- Merchandising
- And the PLC who makes up the 'difference' in a grant of sorts.

From this funding it pays for all costs incurred by the PNRL, including ground rental, training facilities, playing and non-playing staff, marketing, etc. Just like any other business. The PLC doesn't directly fund anything, although it does cover PNRL costs with the annual grant which varies year to year.

But the PLC 'difference' was $12 million or something last year wasn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.