What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels set to block Moimoi release.....

League: Eels set to block Moimoi release
4.00pm Wednesday June 14, 2006
By Mark Geenty

Fuifui Moimoi might have escaped a biting charge last night but his Parramatta National Rugby League (NRL) club are unlikely to let him loose for a Kiwis debut this month.
Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald told NZPA today the chances of Tongan-born prop Moimoi playing for the Kiwis against Great Britain on June 28 (NZT) at St Helens were slim.
"We still haven't made a final decision but it's likely he will not be released," Fitzgerald said.
"We're doing it very tough at the moment and we'd like to have all our available players on deck."
Moimoi was cleared of foul play by the NRL judiciary last night after Melbourne Storm forward Brett White alleged Moimoi bit him on the arm during Sunday's match.
The Eels have won just three of their 13 matches this season and slipped behind the New Zealand Warriors to second-last on the NRL points table at the weekend.
Fitzgerald said the team still had a slim chance of making the top-eight playoffs, so didn't want to release a key forward -- despite having the bye the weekend before the test, meaning Moimoi would miss just one NRL match.
Fitzgerald was also irked at the New Zealand Rugby League's (NZRL) approach to the request for Moimoi, naming him in the Kiwis' 22-man squad last week despite not sending a letter to the club.
"I still haven't got anything in writing from the NZRL."
Fitzgerald's comments come a day after Sydney Roosters chief executive Brian Canavan said they would block 19-year-old centre Iosia Soliola's release.
Canavan claimed the NZRL had backtracked on a pre-season agreement that they wouldn't select regular NRL first grade players for the one-off test.
But there was some good news for Kiwis coach Brian McClennan today when the Bulldogs confirmed they would release reserve grade halfback Ben Roberts.
Bulldogs spokesman Chris O'Brien said Roberts would go with the club's blessing, provided there were no injuries in the next two weekends and he was required for the first grade side.
"It's a win-win for Ben, he'll play for the Kiwis, or, if not, play first grade," O'Brien said.
The Storm's David Kidwell and the Broncos' Greg Eastwood have been released by their clubs.
- NZPA

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=4&ObjectID=10386563

strider

Post Whore
oh FFS let him go denis ... like we are going anywhere this season anyway :roll: ... no club should stand in the way of letting their players represent

V1er

Juniors
we do have the bye the weekend before the game, so he'd only miss the raiders match and he could very well make it back in time. they should let him play, he might not get many chances.

Parra Guru

Coach
This is ridiculous!!! We aren't a chance of making the top 8, so let him go!!!

Geez Dennis is a stick in the mud sometimes.

Stagger eel

Staff member
V1er said:
we do have the bye the weekend before the game, so he'd only miss the raiders match and he could very well make it back in time. they should let him play, he might not get many chances.

I feel sorry for fui, I really do but the problem is, is that game is just before Origin 3 so we'll be missing some key players anyway and that may of persuaded their decision not to allow him to go.

just a hunch.

The Colonel

Immortal
Yes and no. Given the lack of props we have at the moment with injuries and retirement I say he should stay. Particularly as the Canberra game will see us without Origin players as well. Disappointing for him but there is the Tri-Nations at the end of the year which I'm positive he'll make anyway.

Stagger eel

Staff member
he'll be playing for the Kiwi's at the end of the year, I have no doubt about that.

yy_cheng

Coach
Ummm another phantom biting charge could do him in.

Let him go I say. Let him kill a pom or two.

Suitman

Post Whore
strider said:
oh FFS let him go denis ... like we are going anywhere this season anyway :roll: ... no club should stand in the way of letting their players represent

I agree.

Suity

Gronk

Staff member
If that happens then I feel very sorry for FFMM.

Jeremy does not have to be as dissapointed over his suspension then. Perhaps the club wouldn't have released him anyway ?

Utey

Coach
Given the joke of the game on an international level is anyone suprised? Seriously.

Eelectrica

Referee
Let him go, as long as he's guaranteed a spot in the team.
Gives us a chance to give some of our youngsters more first grade experience.
Also Fuifui will come back better for the trip.

otag

Juniors
no club should stop a player from representing at international level, ever.
no matter the situation.
its personal.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
let him play it's not like we'll make the 8 anyway but it will be a reward for the hard work he's put in the last couple of years go fui!!!!!!!!!!!!

eelsta

Bench
Parra Guru said:
This is ridiculous!!! We aren't a chance of making the top 8, so let him go!!!

Geez Dennis is a stick in the mud sometimes.

Sometimes:sarcasm:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
hineyrulz said:
let him play it's not like we'll make the 8 anyway but it will be a reward for the hard work he's put in the last couple of years go fui!!!!!!!!!!!!

exactly

bit selfish if you ask me, why not let Fui make his own decision

Eelementary

Post Whore
Belly in Brisvegas said:
League: Eels set to block Moimoi release
4.00pm Wednesday June 14, 2006
By Mark Geenty

Fuifui Moimoi might have escaped a biting charge last night but his Parramatta National Rugby League (NRL) club are unlikely to let him loose for a Kiwis debut this month.
Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald told NZPA today the chances of Tongan-born prop Moimoi playing for the Kiwis against Great Britain on June 28 (NZT) at St Helens were slim.
"We still haven't made a final decision but it's likely he will not be released," Fitzgerald said.
"We're doing it very tough at the moment and we'd like to have all our available players on deck."
Moimoi was cleared of foul play by the NRL judiciary last night after Melbourne Storm forward Brett White alleged Moimoi bit him on the arm during Sunday's match.
The Eels have won just three of their 13 matches this season and slipped behind the New Zealand Warriors to second-last on the NRL points table at the weekend.
Fitzgerald said the team still had a slim chance of making the top-eight playoffs, so didn't want to release a key forward -- despite having the bye the weekend before the test, meaning Moimoi would miss just one NRL match.
Fitzgerald was also irked at the New Zealand Rugby League's (NZRL) approach to the request for Moimoi, naming him in the Kiwis' 22-man squad last week despite not sending a letter to the club.
"I still haven't got anything in writing from the NZRL."
Fitzgerald's comments come a day after Sydney Roosters chief executive Brian Canavan said they would block 19-year-old centre Iosia Soliola's release.
Canavan claimed the NZRL had backtracked on a pre-season agreement that they wouldn't select regular NRL first grade players for the one-off test.
But there was some good news for Kiwis coach Brian McClennan today when the Bulldogs confirmed they would release reserve grade halfback Ben Roberts.
Bulldogs spokesman Chris O'Brien said Roberts would go with the club's blessing, provided there were no injuries in the next two weekends and he was required for the first grade side.
"It's a win-win for Ben, he'll play for the Kiwis, or, if not, play first grade," O'Brien said.
The Storm's David Kidwell and the Broncos' Greg Eastwood have been released by their clubs.
- NZPA

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=4&ObjectID=10386563

Fair dinkum, if we don't let him play for New Zealand, I'll bomb the Leagues club and spray-paint "f**k YOU DENIS" on the walls...

Latest posts