What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels Sides for Round 13

dazeely

First Grade
I'd swap Wagon and Chad over. Use Chad predominantly up front from the bench. Loose nothing with Wags defensively. Need the second prop on rotation from the bench.

yy_cheng

Coach
There was an article earlier in the week where JT mentioned that Hindy played Front Row. I definitely saw him pack in the front row and was taking the ball up closer to the ruck, rather than out wide.

That's why in some of the other threads I talked about Hindy playing as a frontrower. He could definitely be a hit and I can definitely see him playing a Webke role.

Other forumites said why play the best 2nd rower out of position. But for mine, he will still do what hindy does irrespective of him playing front row or 2nd row.

I actually liked watching him run with the ball more.

bartman

Immortal
With a bench like that with one prop, either Hindy or Robinson have to do some work up front at some stage of the game. That's why Wags on the bench is good in that he can come on and take up their defence in the second row when they change their roles.

Happy with the team as it reads, surprised to see Cayless back as I wasn't expecting him for a while? Happy with Riddell and Tim having to do more than play well once to automatically regain their starting spots - consistency has been our problem, and if they show it on field then they will earn their places again.

Hearing C's info about Cannings wanting to prove himself, perhaps he is worth one extra year on a reduced average compared to his current contract. If he plays out of his skin, then it can easily be upgraded before June 30 next year.

Good (in a way) to know Ben Smith didn't get re-injured, even though it's bad that a planned return for some reason didn't eventuate.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
JT's been in charge for only two weeks and we see something like Hindy in the front row, now thats lateral thinking

he was definatley packing down in the front row

shaun

Juniors
Maybe Hindy will do a Tallis and finish up playing in the front row. I think it could work. We are much stronger in 2nd row than prop.

The Colonel

Immortal
Hurriflatch said:
I'm guessing the Riddell/Marsh argument is the same as J or T Smith

JT wants Riddell to show form for more then 1 game before getting back into his normal role of starting matches

The other reason could be the way he played on the weekend which was partly at hooker after giving PJ a rest and then after a rest he was moved into the second row rotation. IMO this is his most effective use and always has been.

True EEL

Bench
dazeely said:
I'd swap Wagon and Chad over. Use Chad predominantly up front from the bench. Loose nothing with Wags defensively. Need the second prop on rotation from the bench.

i agree

although Chad is playing well and seems to have the nod from JT, i think playing Wagon at lock, Morrsion in the second row with Hindy and Robbo off the bench gives better balance as Robbo effectively becomes your second prop off the bench

however, we will see how it continues to go with the current make-up, might just be that Wags has to play more like a prop these days, he can play anywhere after all, the man could play fullback if you asked him and he has basically playede everywhere esle on the paddock for Parra

IMHO Widders has to come up big on Friday night or he could be dropped for Tsoulos

fish eel

Immortal
Chad mainly played front row when he was coming up through our lower grades.

My personal view is I don't see much benefit in having Wagon on the bench. I think he either starts at lock and plays for 80, or he isnt there.

The PJ/Riddell thing. I thought Pig was terrific off the bench on the w/end. I also think we need PJ on the field as much as possible....so whatever combination makes sure that happens is fine by my.

Daneel

Bench
fish eel said:
I dont actually remember that many getting charged down????

I remember seeing a few get charged down, i also remember seeing jeremy kick a few attacking kicks straight into roosters players.

Time for Timmy to come back!

Bigfella

Coach
Playing Hindy in the front row improved his running game.

I think it is a brilliant move: to counter his slight drop in pace over the years and with the injury, and to address the fact that as a second rower he had been running to close to the ruck and less into holes, he played a position which added to his offensive work rate and slightly reduced his tackle count.

It helped address our general lack of go forward and compensated for the fact that we had a few workers in the side whose metre gaining is not massive; ie Wagon, Robinson.

Perhaps is role may vary depending on who else plays or is on field at the time?