What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels under pressure to turn around recruitment policies

lucablight

First Grade
seriously mate, what part of eels dude's response do you not understand? maybe for the sake of this arguement we should infact sack SK and reinstate DA as head coach..

I don't see the relevance? Are you saying that whichever club signs Blair will end up paying 500k? I find that hard to believe. Seriously look at the players we lost in 2010. Cayless, Tahu, Grothe, Keating, Wright, Inu, Mateo. You're telling me we can't even sign one high profile quality player after losing so much talent?

I dont know how many times I have said it or it has been stated, but both Inu and Mateo did not leave because of the salary cap.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...zealand-warriors/story-e6frexnr-1225864752150

Seems like that was the official reason given why. Reading between the lines it does seem like they were unwanted which seems like madness to me. Looking at the teams inability to score points when we could have kept Mateo if we wanted to is just infuriating.

caylo

Bench
From my understanding with Mateo he was offered 400K at the warriors and around 275K to stay at parramatta. The eels would have kept him if he chose to stay on but didnt think he was worth 400K rather then not being able to pay him that (correct me if im mistaken Jodic).

Now I think its fair enough, Mateo is not an origin player and has not represented his state. He has always had issues at training, has a horrible defencive technique and can be inconsistant. I wouldn't pay Blair 400K (let alone 500K) so why would you invest so much money in Mateo.

Inu on the other hand was not offered a contract (again correct me if im wrong Jodic) as the club wanted to secure a halfback before offering him anything - in other words he wasnt priority and Inu got sick of waiting. He is being paid good $$ at NZ so I doubt the eels would have matched the money, because again who would pay a slow winger over 150K a season.

I think its important to value a player worth to your club and stick to it rather then pay through the roof, bennet has done this with Snowden at Knewy and he did the same thing with Poore at St George, look how that worked out for him.

Eelsnutcase

Juniors
I know this might be a silly question but how does the salary cap work in NZ . What i mean is that the aussie $ is like $1.35 NZ so if they were paying mateo 400K wouldn't it be more like 540k nz money. I have always wondered how the cap worked compared to the aussie/nz dollar. Anyone care to explain please. It does seem like they would have an advantage if it is as simple as it looks.

SDM

First Grade
I know this might be a silly question but how does the salary cap work in NZ . What i mean is that the aussie $ is like $1.35 NZ so if they were paying mateo 400K wouldn't it be more like 540k nz money. I have always wondered how the cap worked compared to the aussie/nz dollar. Anyone care to explain please. It does seem like they would have an advantage if it is as simple as it looks.

It is in AUD

SDM

First Grade
So would any 400K AUD once converted into Kiwi Pesos. I dont get the point?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He is saying that since he is in NZ he is really getting 540k once the exchange rate is factored in.

The exchange rate is only an advantage in how it applies to the cost of living while they're in New Zealand.

If they want to live in Australia after they leave the Warriors (as most Australian-born players do) then they're back dealing in Aussie dollars again.

But you're right - the players who retire in New Zealand are getting a better real return on their investments than the ones who retire in Australia. Then again, players from any club can retire in New Zealand if they want to; it's not just a Warriors thing.

spiderdan

Bench
Lucablight think back to what else was going on around the club at the time in relation to mateo-

Mateo was apparently offered a crap contract about then from parra (from memory grapeape mentioned that)
A few weeks earlier after a crap star Osborne publicly stated that the club would put all contract negotiations on hold until the players started performing (worst play by any idiot CEO I can remember)
Osborne's obsession with re-signing Mortimer before anyone else
Osborne pulling out all stops chasing quade cooper
The club chasing Cooper cronk even though he was still under contract
Apparently Anderson not wanting to keep or thinking Mateo was a priority

Had the club made him a decent offer and priority pre-season I am sure he would have stayed for significantly less than what the warriors offered a couple of months later.

I really hope Kearney gets the recruitment part right soon.

ROGUE

Juniors
Lucablight think back to what else was going on around the club at the time in relation to mateo-

Mateo was apparently offered a crap contract about then from parra (from memory grapeape mentioned that)
A few weeks earlier after a crap star Osborne publicly stated that the club would put all contract negotiations on hold until the players started performing (worst play by any idiot CEO I can remember)
Osborne's obsession with re-signing Mortimer before anyone else
Osborne pulling out all stops chasing quade cooper
The club chasing Cooper cronk even though he was still under contract
Apparently Anderson not wanting to keep or thinking Mateo was a priority

Had the club made him a decent offer and priority pre-season I am sure he would have stayed for significantly less than what the warriors offered a couple of months later.

I really hope Kearney gets the recruitment part right soon.

Allegedly you could throw in the pursuit of Thurson in the mix also

Jodeci

Bench
So would any 400K AUD once converted into Kiwi Pesos. I dont get the point?

A former Warriors player had his pay converted from NZ dollars to his Australian bank account whilst he was over there.

The players get paid in NZ dollars obviously.

Wise Old Eel

Juniors
a lot of this got a bit of a mention last year http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/eels-insist-anderson-must-go/story-e6frexnr-1225929346620

Andersn really f**ked up and so to did Hagan

it will take time to repair the damage

good to see SK has a plan

You are basing your whole assessment on Daniel Anderson on a story from the Tell-ya-crap. It is hardly "fact". I was informed by someone who had actually spoken with Geoff Gerard that he had very little to do with this so-called "report". They asked if they could put his name to it just so it appeared to have more credibility.

The "facts" are that no one here really knows what transpired. To me it looked like the new board came in and wanted no part of Daniel Anderson from the get go - which is their right. Fitzgerald sympathizers (of which I am NOT one) will say it was because Anderson was hired by him & they wanted anyone hired by Fitzy gone. Whatever. As I said, no one really knows why.

I truly believe Anderson was the right man for this club. He proved what he could do in his first year here. He has been proving himself for almost 10 years of first grade coaching. Check out his record. For whatever reason, I believe they wanted him to fail so they could get rid of him. - And before anyone jumps down my throat with "how ridiculous, why would they want the club to fail?", remember this. They are willing to give Kearney as long as it takes to build the team he wants - something Anderson was never given. That in itself means they are willing to wear failure for the next year or two.

Anyway, it's all water under the bridge now. I want to look forward, not back. I just find it difficult to put up with anti-Anderson crap, while having to swallow the "Kearney deserves time" rhetoric. It makes no logical sense at all. Anderson had one fantastic year (with a side that everyone on here agreed would go no where I might add) and then an ordinary one. He was given no chance to "build the team he wanted." But Stephen Kearney has achieved nothing and deserves time. WTF??? I'll tell you one thing, we looked better last year than we do this year ... so far anyway.

Rant over.

WOE

TheParraboy

Staff member
You are basing your whole assessment on Daniel Anderson on a story from the Tell-ya-crap. It is hardly "fact". I was informed by someone who had actually spoken with Geoff Gerard that he had very little to do with this so-called "report". They asked if they could put his name to it just so it appeared to have more credibility.

The "facts" are that no one here really knows what transpired. To me it looked like the new board came in and wanted no part of Daniel Anderson from the get go - which is their right. Fitzgerald sympathizers (of which I am NOT one) will say it was because Anderson was hired by him & they wanted anyone hired by Fitzy gone. Whatever. As I said, no one really knows why.

I truly believe Anderson was the right man for this club. He proved what he could do in his first year here. He has been proving himself for almost 10 years of first grade coaching. Check out his record. For whatever reason, I believe they wanted him to fail so they could get rid of him. - And before anyone jumps down my throat with "how ridiculous, why would they want the club to fail?", remember this. They are willing to give Kearney as long as it takes to build the team he wants - something Anderson was never given. That in itself means they are willing to wear failure for the next year or two.

Anyway, it's all water under the bridge now. I want to look forward, not back. I just find it difficult to put up with anti-Anderson crap, while having to swallow the "Kearney deserves time" rhetoric. It makes no logical sense at all. Anderson had one fantastic year (with a side that everyone on here agreed would go no where I might add) and then an ordinary one. He was given no chance to "build the team he wanted." But Stephen Kearney has achieved nothing and deserves time. WTF??? I'll tell you one thing, we looked better last year than we do this year ... so far anyway.

Rant over.

WOE

:clap:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

We've won 3 games by round 7 - same as last year, although we did hold more hope of a turnaround last year because the players we had available were much better.

Kearney deserves time because of the shit squad he's inherited. He's also shown his ability coaching the Kiwis, and he served a fair apprenticeship at a club that's renown for developing juniors. Cheating aside, you can't take that away from them.

Suitman

Post Whore
We've won 3 games by round 7 - same as last year, although we did hold more hope of a turnaround last year because the players we had available were much better.

Kearney deserves time because of the shit squad he's inherited. He's also shown his ability coaching the Kiwis, and he served a fair apprenticeship at a club that's renown for developing juniors. Cheating aside, you can't take that away from them.

:clap:

Suity

The Engineers Room

First Grade

Who says this is a shit side. We have the potential to be so much better than we have been.

Maroubra Eel

Coach

Just on the storm bit. It's easier to develop youngsters when you have a team of superstars to support them. So I give him zero credit for that. They cheated.