What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels V. Storm, Game Thread

boxhead

First Grade
Melbourne never looked like us under Bellamy! We are apparently happy with missing the 8 under Kearney, Melbourne made the 8 in his first year, they looked competitive, we have 2 of 5 games so far.

If you are happy so far then good for you, I expected better with all the talk and promises I heard in the off-season, I am however getting what I expected!

Difference between Kearney and Bellamy when they inherited their clubs is that Bellamy actually had a roster he could work with. Kearney doesn't, and considering the drastic changes he is trying to make to the Eels after just one off-season, you are definitely being far too harsh on him.

I expected more with all the hype and talk, not to beat the likes of Melbourne but play better than the garbage we saw today!

They dominated us in every facet of the game, especially in the ruck and the play-the-ball, and that is where they destroyed us. We showed today that though we can do it against teams and win, against the masters, we will be outclassed.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Melbourne never looked like us under Bellamy! We are apparently happy with missing the 8 under Kearney, Melbourne made the 8 in his first year, they looked competitive, we have 2 of 5 games so far.

If you are happy so far then good for you, I expected better with all the talk and promises I heard in the off-season, I am however getting what I expected!

Mate of course I am not, I hate it my 3 year old daughter is walking around the house now saying "get off him" or "thats a forward pass". But you need to look at the bigger picture and look at the squad Kearney has inherited. We lack experience in key positions and Kearney needs time to fix this. Also have a look at this side:

1. Billy Slater
2. Steve Turner
3. Matt King
4. Ben MacDougall
5. Fifita Moala

6. Scott Hill
7. Matt Orford
8. Robbie Kearns
9. Cameron Smith
10. Rodney Howe
11. Peter Robinson
12. Stephen Kearney (c)
13. David Kidwell

Bench
14. Danny Williams
15. Kirk Reynoldson
16. Alex Chan
17. Ryan Hoffman
18. Antonio Kaufusi

This is a storm side from March 2004 Bellamy's second year, now I ask you, have a really good look at this side and tell me has Kearney inherited a side as good as this ?

No he hasn't this storm side from 2003 has Orford and Hill in the halves when they were in there prime. This halves combination would have been one of the better in 2003 - BUT DID Bellamy win a comp in 2003 ?NO it took him 2003, 2004 and 2005, then 2006 before he took his side to a GF. If Kearney had players of the equal ability in the eels then I would be disappointed.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Mate of course I am not, I hate it my 3 year old daughter is walking around the house now saying "get off him" or "thats a forward pass". But you need to look at the bigger picture and look at the squad Kearney has inherited. We lack experience in key positions and Kearney needs time to fix this. Also have a look at this side:

1. Billy Slater
2. Steve Turner
3. Matt King
4. Ben MacDougall
5. Fifita Moala
6. Scott Hill
7. Matt Orford
8. Robbie Kearns
9. Cameron Smith
10. Rodney Howe
11. Peter Robinson
12. Stephen Kearney (c)
13. David Kidwell

Bench
14. Danny Williams
15. Kirk Reynoldson
16. Alex Chan
17. Ryan Hoffman
18. Antonio Kaufusi

This is a storm side from March 2004 Bellamy's second year, now I ask you, have a really good look at this side and tell me has Kearney inherited a side as good as this ?

No he hasn't this storm side from 2003 has Orford and Hill in the halves when they were in there prime. This halves combination would have been one of the better in 2003 - BUT DID Bellamy win a comp in 2003 ?NO it took him 2003, 2004 and 2005, then 2006 before he took his side to a GF. If Kearney had players of the equal ability in the eels then I would be disappointed.
Great post, that side is light years ahead of what Kearney has at his disposal.

Delboy

First Grade
Robson might have 40 games under his belt, 37 of them with us and the Beagles were happy to punt him, and we signed him to play at Wenty until we dumped Finch.

He was not kept at Moanly when they got ro\id off Orford and that was for a reason, he can't play at NRL level, he has had a dream run in a team that lacks halves.

End of story

Kornstar

Coach

1. Billy Slater
2. Steve Turner
3. Matt King
4. Ben MacDougall
5. Fifita Moala

6. Scott Hill
7. Matt Orford
8. Robbie Kearns
9. Cameron Smith
10. Rodney Howe
11. Peter Robinson
12. Stephen Kearney (c)
13. David Kidwell

Bench
14. Danny Williams
15. Kirk Reynoldson
16. Alex Chan
17. Ryan Hoffman
18. Antonio Kaufusi

I ask for consistency and to be competitive, we have been in 2 of 5 games and outclassed badly in the other 3 where we didn't look interested.

With all the talk in the offseason, I expected to be in every game not to have been beaten by the 10th minute!!!

Aren't we fitter and better mentally prepared?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I ask for consistency and to be competitive, we have been in 2 of 5 games and outclassed badly in the other 3 where we didn't look interested.

With all the talk in the offseason, I expected to be in every game not to have been beaten by the 10th minute!!!

I would saying we are fitter and better mentally prepared, last year Penrith from round two and Storm from this afternoon would have put 50 or more on us but the side didn't give up. This afternoon the side definitely didn't loose because of lack of trying or commitment. And we definitely would not have won last week

Kornstar

Coach
I would saying we are fitter and better mentally prepared, last year Penrith from round two and Storm from this afternoon would have put 50 or more on us but the side didn't give up. This afternoon the side definitely didn't loose because of lack of trying or commitment. And we definitely would not have won last week

We won close games last year too, so what?

I have seen no change at all, I just expected more as they ran up a lot of hills in the offseason and went on a camp in the offseason, it was thd toughest ever, better prepared etc.....I have seen no evidence is all......

We looked out of puff after the second try.....

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We weren't really that bad; we just never had any ball. Whenever we tried to muscle up in the first half we got penalised, including Melbourne surrendering in the tackle.

In the second half we didn't bother.

Slater 1 Hayne 0 after today.

I think you'll find they've played each other more than once.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
We won close games last year too, so what?

I have seen no change at all, I just expected more as they ran up a lot of hills in the offseason and went on a camp in the offseason, it was thd toughest ever, better prepared etc.....I have seen no evidence is all......

We looked out of puff after the second try.....
Melbourne had 60% of the ball today. honestly for us to be any chance of beating them it would have to be the other way around. And as Pou pou has said every time we tried to muscle up or slow the play the ball we were penalised. And as usual Melbourne seemed to have all day. Even Belcher mentioned it a few times.

ParraSteve

Juniors
We just have nothing in attack, The storm play a structed game plan but they have set plays, the best we can do is robson going across field and passing a short ball to Lasalo to get smashed by the defence.

Noise

Coach
has anyone seen the press conference? wat did kearney have to say? please not "we r not far from where we want to be"

mrpwnd

Bench

Clearly, you got sucked into all that stupid talk on how the pre-season was supposedly meant to re-vamp this sh*tty Parra line-up into a squad of 17 superstars.

I'm actually surprised Parra have won any games this year considering how absolutely terrible their side is across the park(except the forwards).

Fitter and better mentally prepared doesn't equal class in a line-up, I think you simply have an anti-Kearney agenda shoved very high up your ass.

Evenflow

Bench
Which nuffies?

Let's not forget that this is the finest collection of youngsters that money could buy (literally).

They didn't just cheat to get Slater/Smith/Inglis/Cronk locked away.
They cheated to get Blair etc as well.

Then they cheated to get guys like Duffie/Widdop to the club in the first place.

And the 'penalty' for the cheating was to change the records, but pretty well let them keep the fruit of the cheating...

hypothetical example (using made up numbers!):
Smith gets paid $500k per season - the cheating salary was $500k + $300k in club organised endorsements/cap rorts
Instead of being forced to count him as $800k against this years cap (and so be forced to lose a lot of mid level talent AND young talent) the Storm are allowed to ditch the $300k amount and just count him as $500k.

Cheats prosper... hate the Storm!

Wow.....just f**king WOW! :lol:

I've read some utter sh*t in this thread but that one just about takes the cake :lol:

Angent Mulder hold your head up, just one of the few who actually talks some sense in here. Not blaming the ref, not blaming anything or anyone else, just realizing you were beaten by a better side on the day and not looking like a whingeing sook doing it like most of the others :clap:

mrpwnd

Bench

Wait...What?
Exactly WHAT promises were offered in the off-season? That the Eels would be able to outclass superior sides? That they'd make the 8?

Please tell me, aside from the notion of 'toughest off-season ever', exactly WHAT was promised from Kearney? IIRC he wanted to try and make this rabble piece of sh*t of a side competitive for 2011 and i'm satisfied with that much, Parra have won 2 games against superior sides.

It's ironic how people criticize the bullsh*t that comes out of the DT and yet, are so quick to use it as the main source for the blame game.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
We weren't really that bad; we just never had any ball. Whenever we tried to muscle up in the first half we got penalised, including Melbourne surrendering in the tackle.

In the second half we didn't bother.

I think you'll find they've played each other more than once.

Mate - I am all with you, at last someone on here is posting some common sense.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Wow.....just f**king WOW! :lol:

I've read some utter sh*t in this thread but that one just about takes the cake :lol:

Angent Mulder hold your head up, just one of the few who actually talks some sense in here. Not blaming the ref, not blaming anything or anyone else, just realizing you were beaten by a better side on the day and not looking like a whingeing sook doing it like most of the others :clap:
Who on here said we weren't beaten by a better side??? We were always pushing sh*t up hill. But can you honestly say your mob didn't get the rub of the green today??? Thats the thing that gives me the sh*ts, your side didn't need that leg up to beat us but you got it anyway. I really think the Storm are the only team that can get near the Dragons this year.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
We just have nothing in attack, The storm play a structed game plan but they have set plays, the best we can do is robson going across field and passing a short ball to Lasalo to get smashed by the defence.

Mate did you watch the game ? how do you attack when you are coming of your try line, and on top of that your are using your their string hooker ?

In the limited times we were attacking the opositions try we looked dangerous

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Who on here said we weren't beaten by a better side??? We were always pushing sh*t up hill. But can you honestly say your mob didn't get the rub of the green today??? Thats the thing that gives me the sh*ts, your side didn't need that leg up to beat us but you got it anyway. I really think the Storm are the only team that can get near the Dragons this year.

Yep didn't cost the game but definitely didn't give us any chance:

- no penalty or penalty try for Laslaso hold back
- no penalty for Haynes elbow to the head
- continuely held down by the storm in the play the ball
- Bea's try which is exactly likes Laslaso against south
- Early in the 2nd half we don't get the ball back after reddy is ruled to knock it on, while on the storms try line
- Loco being held (he went to ground, the ball touched the ground, he was making no further progress) and thrown over the side line. Should have been a penalty to the eels, but was a scrum
- A forward pass leading up to storms 6 or so try
- Smith continuely throwing line balls which some are forward from dummy half
- some tough penalties which lead to tries in the first half

Glenn

First Grade

Anytime you mention a refereeing error you are automatically saying the refs cost us the game, apparently. :sarcasm: