What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels V. Storm, Game Thread

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I saw them live too and I didn't see a lack of heart; I saw a lack of ability.

They looked like a team half a million bucks under the cap. Funny that.

well thats still cheating and it has a longer affect than just in its day, it has kept their marquee players in marquee positions together after the event

I remember Cam Smith being seriously courted to take up the titans post when they entered the league. they threw buckets at him. Storm just threw a lot more. He wouldnt be at melbourne today had they not cheated then. I doubt a few othgers would be either. Cronk for one. The whole makeup of their side would be so different

You flippin whinger, are you an Aussie ?

Look, Michael Maguire spent years with Cronk to help him get to this level. The NRL should have 'asked' Smith to go to Victoria. And Maoris have a sense of attatchment to Melbourne. Bellamy is the best coach on the planet, and I'm sure we train more than any other team. Out passing plays are first class, he train them like dogs to get them as good as that.

Granted we have the best player on the planet in the most important posision in League. But still, we'd be very good.

And another thing The, as I said yesterday, the Yankees have often spent far more than other MLB teams and not won the World Series. They've won it twice this century, and one of those was in 2000.

And the US Ryder Cup team, have often had the best players, but bad attitude and a lack of team spirit has resulted in the European team winning. I loathe bringing soccer up, but on this occasion obviously...anyway, Real Madrid, often spending obscene amounts on their squad, yet winning zip.

It takes more than having the best players in a team sport to win Championships.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Granted we have the best player on the planet in the most important posision in League. But still, we'd be very good.

It takes more than having the best players in a team sport to win Championships.

Completely agree with ya buddy.

HOWEVER - the guy is talking about the cheating because some moronic eels 'fans' here are saying that we should be as good as the Storm just because we got their old assistant coach.

The problem is that we don't have the cattle for Kearney to push around - and even a one eyed Storm supporter has to acknowledge that years of systematic cap rorting has provided Bellamy with an excellent crop of cattle to push around the paddock.

You DO have the best player on the planet in the most vital position (Cam Smith) - but take away him and Cronk, and insert Robson/Mortimer into your halves and there wouldn't be much coach Bellamy could do to get them to score a try!

Joely01

Bench
I, for one, am beginning to question Kearney's selections. Granted, he hasn't exactly got superstars to work with but deadset we've had 5 backlines in 5 weeks and probably almost that number of different benches. How can we get any rythm or consistency happening when the entire side has a different balance week to week?

We were horrific today. Mitchell was just about the only bright spot, we looked our best in the first half when he started to work well at acting half. When he went off, we instantly went flat.

Jordan Atkins-Horrific game. Slow, constantly caught out of position and just did little things wrong as well. Seeya

Jakob Loko-Clearly not ready, and honestly from what I've heard was never going to be ready. He showed he has talent with a good move at one stage (before running into touch) but the ease with which he was beaten at times was simply ridiculous.

Ben Smith-Needs time at Wenty, out of form very clearly.

Shane Shackleton-IS NOT A PROP!!!! His career best form was at the Roosters at lock and in the back row. He is a wide runner, not a hit up merchant. Wasted in the front row.

Daniel Mortimer/Jeff Robson-Something has to give, one of them has to go. They're both clones of each other, insipid and uninspiring. I don't care how well they can tackle, they can't make a play that would cut it in CRL second grade!

On top of that, our defence was an insult, some of the softest I've ever seen. And for the love of christ, WHERE THE f**k IS TOM HUMBLE?????? The club has gone from leaking like a seive to shutting information away in a f**king vault, and when it comes to a player who could make a difference like Humble it gets pretty damned frustrating

did you watch the game?

these two were actually the two positives to come out of this game, i think your being really harsh on them both.
I would assume they will both get another crack next week against the dogs.

Barken1

Juniors
I'M BACK !

YOU MOANING,WHINGEING SOOKING BUNCH OF SUPPORTERS,YOU WENT ON & ON LAST YEAR ABOUT BEING BEATEN IN THE G.F. BY A BUNCH OF CHEATS (WHICH WE WHERE GUILTY OF),BUT THIS TIME (YESTERDAY) YOU WERE ABSOLUTELY "THRASHED" BY A TEAM WELL UNDER THE SALARY CAP WITH A "RECYCLED" PACK 4 OF WHICH NOBODY WANTED & YOU STILL WILL NOT ACCEPT THAT YOU WERE WELL & TRULY BEATEN.

I KNOW YOU ARE A 1 MAN TEAM (no hayne no parra) BUT EVEN HE WAS TAUGHT A LESSON BY THE BEST FULL BACK IN THE WORLD.

YOU ARE STILL THE "parrachokersrlfc no hayne no parra" & go the mighty
MELBOURNE STORM R.L.FOOTBALL CLUB.:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Gronk

Staff member
I'M BACK !

YOU MOANING,WHINGEING SOOKING BUNCH OF SUPPORTERS,YOU WENT ON & ON LAST YEAR ABOUT BEING BEATEN IN THE G.F. BY A BUNCH OF CHEATS (WHICH WE WHERE GUILTY OF),BUT THIS TIME (YESTERDAY) YOU WERE ABSOLUTELY "THRASHED" BY A TEAM WELL UNDER THE SALARY CAP WITH A "RECYCLED" PACK 4 OF WHICH NOBODY WANTED & YOU STILL WILL NOT ACCEPT THAT YOU WERE WELL & TRULY BEATEN.

I KNOW YOU ARE A 1 MAN TEAM (no hayne no parra) BUT EVEN HE WAS TAUGHT A LESSON BY THE BEST FULL BACK IN THE WORLD.

Um no, everyone here agrees with you. :roll:

mrpwnd

Bench
Every player interviewed talked it up, i saw video, the DT didn't tell me sh*t!

Kearney wanted to make them competitive, on todays performance, there was nothing competitive, only repetitive, same old, same old!!
Obviously every player is going to talk up their own goods. You got sucked into all that crap and believed this rabble of a side would be able to compete with other clubs, all of which have considerably more playing ability and sheer class in their line-ups.

The loss is absolutely devastating, but not completely outside the bounds of expectation for me, I really don't give a sh*t how badly the Eels go this season, on paper there's absolutely nothing or very little to look forward to and I'm sure most people here had the exact same mindset until the premature ejaculation that came from the Warriors game, or that whole 'this pre-season is going to turn every reserve grader in Parra into an origin standard player'.

I'll reserve my actual judgement of both club and coach for when Parra get a proper playing roster and aren't massively under the cap.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I'M BACK !

What?

I thought Parra won yesterday?

Crap.

Kornstar

Coach
Obviously every player is going to talk up their own goods. You got sucked into all that crap and believed this rabble of a side would be able to compete with other clubs, all of which have considerably more playing ability and sheer class in their line-ups.

The loss is absolutely devastating, but not completely outside the bounds of expectation for me, I really don't give a sh*t how badly the Eels go this season, on paper there's absolutely nothing or very little to look forward to and I'm sure most people here had the exact same mindset until the premature ejaculation that came from the Warriors game, or that whole 'this pre-season is going to turn every reserve grader in Parra into an origin standard player'.

I'll reserve my actual judgement of both club and coach for when Parra get a proper playing roster and aren't massively under the cap.

I didn't buy into nothing!! I am holding them accountable for bulls*ting me!!!

I would have been content had we lost last week, in fact after Tonga scored I thought the game was over and was satisfied with the effort, that is what we were promised and they had delivered.

Yesterday I saw the same sh*t that we dished out against Souths in the second half! I just want effort and didn't see much yesterday, no matter how good Melbourne were......I expected more effort.....

Delboy

First Grade
Kornie, this season was always going to be very difficult, but I agree completely with the comments about competing..

I think that the coaches are burning at the moment with the stuff being seved up every couple of games, but as Jack Gibson said " if you don't have the cattle, you can't complete".

We are so leaderless in the halves and because we are getting dominated in the ruck, when we try the same tactics to slow down the play the ball, it is so obvious to the refs that we get penalised. Good teams get the decisions, and we saw that yesterday.

What is the most frustrating aspect of our game, is that when we get field psotion , we dont have anyone in the halves that can play structured or put runners into gaps.
Someone should get on the front foot in defence and get in their faces, but we don't have anyone to do that, Morrison was the last one we had that did that consistently.

bring back Tim S, I don't want half backs who tackle, find someone who can actually play NRL at 7

boxhead

First Grade
If Brad Murray keeps up his form for Wenty (had a great game by all reports on the weekend against Manly), then I'm definitely all for preparing him for a debut. In the article in the Wenty thread it implies if Murray improves his defence Kearney may reward him with the call-up.

Considering Tim Smith won't play again at the Sharks barring injuries, I'd definitely go all-out to sign him as well. Unlike our other halves he has the talent and can direct a side around, and hopefully he will actually want to play for us.

Kornstar

Coach
Kornie, this season was always going to be very difficult, but I agree completely with the comments about competing..

I think that the coaches are burning at the moment with the stuff being seved up every couple of games, but as Jack Gibson said " if you don't have the cattle, you can't complete".

We are so leaderless in the halves and because we are getting dominated in the ruck, when we try the same tactics to slow down the play the ball, it is so obvious to the refs that we get penalised. Good teams get the decisions, and we saw that yesterday.

What is the most frustrating aspect of our game, is that when we get field psotion , we dont have anyone in the halves that can play structured or put runners into gaps.
Someone should get on the front foot in defence and get in their faces, but we don't have anyone to do that, Morrison was the last one we had that did that consistently.

bring back Tim S, I don't want half backs who tackle, find someone who can actually play NRL at 7

I don't disagree with the building year, I never thought we would make the 8, I do believe we have the cattle to sneak in but certainly not challenge for anything.

What sh*ts me is that we were promised that performances like yesterday were not going to happen. We have had 3 of those now. As someone who actually upgraded and bought a second membership this year, I think I can ask questions of the commitment in the team!

Why aren't we fit enough? Why aren't we fired up? Where is the passion?

My thoughts are that the leaks may have stopped but not all is rosy behind the scenes!

I agree on Tim Smith (or any half that is available), we need someone that can create something, anything!!!

natheel

Coach
ok now i know ppl r grasping at straws to try and find a halfback for us but Tim Smith had his chance with us and blew it! i dont think he is our answer we need a classy player who SK wants and i dont think Smith is the type of player SK would go after anyway.

Murray will come into the side when he is rewarded it and deserves it. and i hope he is the answer because by all reports he has alot of potential

Bazal

Post Whore
I'm desperate enough to throw Smith a lifeline...on minimum wage, with a reported 600k free and the worst halves in the game at the moment, we don't have a great deal to lose. At worst, he provides depth in the halves and a decent option for Wenty.

That goes for any half looking for a bit of redemption by the way, not just Smith. It would surprise me greatly if we could actually do any worse than what we have right now...at least a guy like this would have something to play for and something to prove, because it doesn't look like the current nuffies do!

mrpwnd

Bench
I don't disagree with the building year, I never thought we would make the 8, I do believe we have the cattle to sneak in but certainly not challenge for anything.

What sh*ts me is that we were promised that performances like yesterday were not going to happen. We have had 3 of those now. As someone who actually upgraded and bought a second membership this year, I think I can ask questions of the commitment in the team!

Why aren't we fit enough? Why aren't we fired up? Where is the passion?

My thoughts are that the leaks may have stopped but not all is rosy behind the scenes!

I agree on Tim Smith (or any half that is available), we need someone that can create something, anything!!!
IIRC Hindy basically said something along the lines of 'it'll take a few rounds for Parra to really establish something', probably not word for word but I think the context is the same. At least he was being a realist, every team gets their fair share of shockers and too many people here are still coming to grips with the Eels having a few shockers with an equally shocking playing roster.

New coach, new playing style, more new faces than usual, injuries etc etc.
Hard to be 'competitive' or even 'passionate' when everything is an uphill battle, I still question why Kearney even bothered coming to Parra knowing he'd be inheriting the worst squad in the NRL.

Kornstar

Coach
IIRC Hindy basically said something along the lines of 'it'll take a few rounds for Parra to really establish something', probably not word for word but I think the context is the same. At least he was being a realist, every team gets their fair share of shockers and too many people here are still coming to grips with the Eels having a few shockers with an equally shocking playing roster.

New coach, new playing style, more new faces than usual, injuries etc etc.
Hard to be 'competitive' or even 'passionate' when everything is an uphill battle, I still question why Kearney even bothered coming to Parra knowing he'd be inheriting the worst squad in the NRL.

He said till Round 6 if i remember, that is just excuses to me.......

The ocassional shocker we can all get past but 3 in 5 rounds???? We know they are better than yesterday but the question remains, why have we been the same under 4 different coaches?

For me, the playing style is much easier than before, the plays are simpler. We seemed to do it well against the Cowboys and then it was non existent against the Storm, noone looked that interested.

Where was the enthusiasm from the kick-off? Hindy said he knew early on that something wasn't right......that is scary to me.

I am happy to lose with the squad we have against teams like the Storm and Dragons, hell, i'll be driving to Jubilee knowing how big the scoreline will be but when i get there and they dish up a performance like yesterday, i will be pi$$ed!!

I feel for the guys who flew down yesterday, to see that, do you think any of them are really proud of their team????? Soft, that is what we got!!!!

Parraren

Bench
I remember in 2005 we got trounced by 50 up in Brisbane in about round 4 or 5 and then we got our sh!t together and eventually won the minor premiership.

Clutchng at straws I know...

Latest posts