What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels V. Storm, Game Thread

Bazal

Post Whore
I, for one, am beginning to question Kearney's selections. Granted, he hasn't exactly got superstars to work with but deadset we've had 5 backlines in 5 weeks and probably almost that number of different benches. How can we get any rythm or consistency happening when the entire side has a different balance week to week?

We were horrific today. Mitchell was just about the only bright spot, we looked our best in the first half when he started to work well at acting half. When he went off, we instantly went flat.

Jordan Atkins-Horrific game. Slow, constantly caught out of position and just did little things wrong as well. Seeya

Jakob Loko-Clearly not ready, and honestly from what I've heard was never going to be ready. He showed he has talent with a good move at one stage (before running into touch) but the ease with which he was beaten at times was simply ridiculous.

Ben Smith-Needs time at Wenty, out of form very clearly.

Shane Shackleton-IS NOT A PROP!!!! His career best form was at the Roosters at lock and in the back row. He is a wide runner, not a hit up merchant. Wasted in the front row.

Daniel Mortimer/Jeff Robson-Something has to give, one of them has to go. They're both clones of each other, insipid and uninspiring. I don't care how well they can tackle, they can't make a play that would cut it in CRL second grade!

On top of that, our defence was an insult, some of the softest I've ever seen. And for the love of christ, WHERE THE f**k IS TOM HUMBLE?????? The club has gone from leaking like a seive to shutting information away in a f**king vault, and when it comes to a player who could make a difference like Humble it gets pretty damned frustrating

mrpwnd

Bench
I, for one, am beginning to question Kearney's selections. Granted, he hasn't exactly got superstars to work with but deadset we've had 5 backlines in 5 weeks and probably almost that number of different benches. How can we get any rythm or consistency happening when the entire side has a different balance week to week?

We were horrific today. Mitchell was just about the only bright spot, we looked our best in the first half when he started to work well at acting half. When he went off, we instantly went flat.

Jordan Atkins-Horrific game. Slow, constantly caught out of position and just did little things wrong as well. Seeya

Jakob Loko-Clearly not ready, and honestly from what I've heard was never going to be ready. He showed he has talent with a good move at one stage (before running into touch) but the ease with which he was beaten at times was simply ridiculous.

Shane Shackleton-IS NOT A PROP!!!! His career best form was at the Roosters at lock and in the back row. He is a wide runner, not a hit up merchant. Wasted in the front row.

Daniel Mortimer/Jeff Robson-Something has to give, one of them has to go. They're both clones of each other, insipid and uninspiring. I don't care how well they can tackle, they can't make a play that would cut it in CRL second grade!

On top of that, our defence was an insult, some of the softest I've ever seen. And for the love of christ, WHERE THE f**k IS TOM HUMBLE?????? The club has gone from leaking like a seive to shutting information away in a f**king vault, and when it comes to a player who could make a difference like Humble it gets pretty damned frustrating
Funny, I've heard that Loko and Atkins were one of Parras better players today.
Aside from that, I guess it's pretty much spot on, there's so much wrong with the team at the moment, hard to know exactly where to start.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Actually I think he'd be best in Hindy's role in the middle. He's a terrible defender out wide.

Y2Eel

First Grade

When did Loko get beaten in defence? And Atkins was out of position once i think in the second half..

Glenn

First Grade
As mentioned Humble has personal issues to work through, end of story.
When and if he returns, he isn't gointo to be some match winning messiah.

Must have watched a different game Bazal, personally thought Loko and Atkins were two of the better performers in a badly beaten side. (admittedly not a hard thing to achieve)

oldmancraigy

Coach
Melbourne never looked like us under Bellamy! We are apparently happy with missing the 8 under Kearney, Melbourne made the 8 in his first year, they looked competitive, we have 2 of 5 games so far.

If you are happy so far then good for you, I expected better with all the talk and promises I heard in the off-season, I am however getting what I expected!

MELBOURNE SPENT MILLIONS OF DOLLARS MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE TO GET THE BEST PLAYERS.

IF YOU GET THE BEST PLAYERS YOU TEND NOT TO LOOK DREADFUL.

Apologies for the caps - but seriously? Is it that hard to understand that when you CHEAT to get a better roster of players, then you tend to have good results on the paddock. Sure Bellamy has a good system (most likely the same system that Kearney is using since Kearney would've learned it from him?!?) - but Bellamy's system works all the better since there was CHEATING to bring in fantastic talents.

Give us all a call and wake us up when Kearney has $5million+ in talent to play with and misses the 8 eh?

Bazal

Post Whore
When did Loko get beaten in defence? And Atkins was out of position once i think in the second half..

Almost every time he attempted a tackle! Even when he smashed Nielsen (or whoever it was) into touch in the second half, he was easily beaten a few seconds before the ball was thrown wide. The kid is clearly a talent, but a very, very, very raw one

oldmancraigy

Coach
Brian Norrie, Todd Lowrie, Hinchliffe, Quinn, Turner, new players like Duffie, Neilson, Widdop etc.

Regardless off cheating, his structure works well with any player!!

We look as s*it as last year even though we have better "structures" in place this year!!!

Unbelievable.

Are you thick?

I'll cheat and pay millions to bring Cam Smith and Cooper Cronk to the club.

Heck, we could almost do it without cheating?

How do you think our team would go if we have the best hooker on the planet (by a country mile) and one of the top halfbacks running around?

I'd suggest to you that 'nuffies' like Ben Smith might suddenly have a golden glow...

Bazal

Post Whore
As mentioned Humble has personal issues to work through, end of story.
When and if he returns, he isn't gointo to be some match winning messiah.

Must have watched a different game Bazal, personally thought Loko and Atkins were two of the better performers in a badly beaten side. (admittedly not a hard thing to achieve)

He's not a messiah but ffs, when we're this bad and a player of his considerable talent is MIA, questions will be asked and rightly so. As for Loko, it may not have been as easy to notice things like how easily he was beaten in such a badly beaten side, I dunno...but me and a few mates all agreed that he looked far from ready. And that Atkins had a shocker...he practically ran into touch with the line open, was out of position a few times (although thankfully the Storm f**ked up once or twice and Reddy saved him too), and even little things like taking a ball he could have taken in goal a step too early and conceding a drop out.

Granted, we were horrible all round and it might seem pedantic to point them out, but I honestly thought Atkins played the worst out of any of the wingers we've tried so far?

Noise

Coach
Actually I think he'd be best in Hindy's role in the middle. He's a terrible defender out wide.

I agree and i think that is why he is being played as a prop, so he can still defend in the middle. The only problem is that he doesn't offer too many explosive runs when carting the ball through the middle.

Did anyone else see the stat in the paper this week where it showed shack had made zero takle busts all year? Pretty disappointing statistic. Unfortunately hindy was also in the list of forwards with the least tackle busts

Happy enough to give them a chance twiz, We changed the coach I am going to give them 18 months, but I have to say, watching them live. I could some up what was missing to my eyes in one word. Heart.

I thought brining in the legends, and getting the Round logo back and going back to the 80's jersey was supposed to inspire the club to performances like those of the great years in the 80's. At the moment they are looking more 90's than 80's.

But hey, we will see.

Snoochies

First Grade
MELBOURNE SPENT MILLIONS OF DOLLARS MORE THAN ANYONE ELSE TO GET THE BEST PLAYERS.

IF YOU GET THE BEST PLAYERS YOU TEND NOT TO LOOK DREADFUL.

Apologies for the caps - but seriously? Is it that hard to understand that when you CHEAT to get a better roster of players, then you tend to have good results on the paddock. Sure Bellamy has a good system (most likely the same system that Kearney is using since Kearney would've learned it from him?!?) - but Bellamy's system works all the better since there was CHEATING to bring in fantastic talents.

Give us all a call and wake us up when Kearney has $5million+ in talent to play with and misses the 8 eh?

I respectfuly disagree. They didn't bring in fantastic players, they took these players in young before they were superstars and to the Storms credit, they turned them into superstars. They cheated to keep them at the club. It doesn't take away from the fact that today we were beaten by a team who were within the salary cap, we were beaten by a team who are not yet superstars but will very likely become ones.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Yeah I thought bringing back the round logo would improve our performances too.

Happy enough to give them a chance twiz, We changed the coach I am going to give them 18 months, but I have to say, watching them live. I could some up what was missing to my eyes in one word. Heart.

I thought brining in the legends, and getting the Round logo back and going back to the 80's jersey was supposed to inspire the club to performances like those of the great years in the 80's. At the moment they are looking more 90's than 80's.

But hey, we will see.

All a wasted effort without bringing back the piss-a-thons too.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I respectfuly disagree. They didn't bring in fantastic players, they took these players in young before they were superstars and to the Storms credit, they turned them into superstars. They cheated to keep them at the club. It doesn't take away from the fact that today we were beaten by a team who were within the salary cap, we were beaten by a team who are not yet superstars but will very likely become ones.

well thats still cheating and it has a longer affect than just in its day, it has kept their marquee players in marquee positions together after the event

I remember Cam Smith being seriously courted to take up the titans post when they entered the league. they threw buckets at him. Storm just threw a lot more. He wouldnt be at melbourne today had they not cheated then. I doubt a few othgers would be either. Cronk for one. The whole makeup of their side would be so different

Kornstar

Coach
Wait...What?
Exactly WHAT promises were offered in the off-season? That the Eels would be able to outclass superior sides? That they'd make the 8?

Please tell me, aside from the notion of 'toughest off-season ever', exactly WHAT was promised from Kearney? IIRC he wanted to try and make this rabble piece of sh*t of a side competitive for 2011 and i'm satisfied with that much, Parra have won 2 games against superior sides.

It's ironic how people criticize the bullsh*t that comes out of the DT and yet, are so quick to use it as the main source for the blame game.

Every player interviewed talked it up, i saw video, the DT didn't tell me sh*t!

Kearney wanted to make them competitive, on todays performance, there was nothing competitive, only repetitive, same old, same old!!

Kornstar

Coach

But hey, we will see.

:clap:

Latest posts