What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels vs Broncos game thread

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
the other thing to take out of those stats Pou Pou is the strange rotations and minutes of our forwards, Carl Webb starts and plays 25 minutes?? Manese 18 mins?? WTF?

Did you see the massive roll-on we got at the end? The Broncos were out on their feet.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
It's complete and utter crap to say that they wanted it more than us. It's such an easy thing to say from the sidelines. It's also an easy excuse for a player or coach - they aren't very often going to come out and say "we are crap", or point out to the other teams our own deficiencies, are they?

The fact is that if Loko could catch and pass and Walker could tackle, it would have been us up 6 at half-time.

Then if Horo takes that pass, or has a better understanding with Reni and hits the huge f**king gap that was created earlier, he could have scored two. Instead, we have a length-of-the-field try go against us.

Then in the dying minutes our ageing 5/8 couldn't tackle a backrower and the new kid O'Hanlon wasn't coming across to help him quick enough. McGuire can't play 80 min in the halves at 100% and the kid didn't realise the in the top grade you always have to be super-enthusiastic at helping from the inside.

So, in essence, we are a few quality players short of having a team that can win these close ones. Our kids are a bit too green and our experienced players are lacking in certain areas - Walker's defence, Webb and McGuire's fitness.

It's nothing to get carried away with, because it's not that bad and nothing that can't be fixed with a few additions. But we have to realise that 2011 is a write-off. Reni showed class, and with him, Hayne and Sandow on board, we only need a little touch of class to the outside backs and we are right up there.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Pou Pou, i know what you're saying going by the stats, but in this instance i agree with Kornstar, and although i only watched it on the TV (not at the game), to me, you could see that (especially at critical moments) the Broncos wanted it more than us - as a team..... :(

That's because everything that could have disheartened us did, and everything that could have buoyed their confidence also did - because we had nothing inside their 20m zone they gained confidence from their defence. Also, despite dominating them in the forwards, their kicking game kept getting them out of trouble.

We tried so hard for nothing, and they just kept gaining confidence from it. When Burt took that field-goal attempt at the end I became completely demoralised when I realised there was no way we could win - we literally had nothing.

The players would have known it too (the Broncos certainly did), and there was a certain inevitability about Brisbane being the ones to break the deadlock. You can't beat the laws of physics.

True EEL

Bench
Did you see the massive roll-on we got at the end? The Broncos were out on their feet.

mate, to be honest, not really? and even so, what good is it at the end of the game if the game is already gone?? Our forwards were being dominated most of the game, with the Broncos making good ground up the middle

and really, at the end of the game, good roll-on or not, we were the team that crumbled and let in a soft, soft, soft try to lose the game, when it was down to FG time...!!? :(

True EEL

Bench
That's because everything that could have disheartened us did, and everything that could have buoyed their confidence also did - because we had nothing inside their 20m zone they gained confidence from their defence. Also, despite dominating them in the forwards, their kicking game kept getting them out of trouble.

We tried so hard for nothing, and they just kept gaining confidence from it. When Burt took that field-goal attempt at the end I became completely demoralised when I realised there was no way we could win - we literally had nothing.

The players would have known it too (the Broncos certainly did), and there was a certain inevitability about Brisbane being the ones to break the deadlock. You can't beat the laws of physics.

i agree, it was an inevtiable feeling that Brisbane would win, sadly I had it all week and during the entire game, even when we made our comeback....but i think that can be attributed to the squad just not working hard enough and our club just never having a reliable halves combination

good halves in Rugby league = success
bad havles in Rugby League = failure

NOTE: not basing that just on last night, but all season, last season, the season before that, the season before that and so on......mind you at least Reni did his best impression of an effective playmaker last night

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yet we sign keating for 2 more years. Last night we looked like hanging for them to make a mistake. People can say whatever they want. A loss is a loss. Last year we lost 5 hapless by 2 points. Yet we were fed we played graph. Our attitude is worse this year.

We need to sign genuine starters & worry about depth signings with what is left on thhe market. Tahu was told yep wasn't wanted by kearney so that was his call to not have him. Injurys are part of the game every team deals with them. Plus poore what not have change many results this year.
I agree on the MK signing, hopefully he's not on to much. Tahu didn't want to train with the team and SK said on ya bike. Not going to hold that against him.

Tizzun

Juniors
I reckon Kearney is struggling atm; his tactics, selection policy and use of the bench is disturbing. This is evident when he coach's NZ with his hooker rotation. I have waited until round 17 to judge the man but I do not believe he has what it takes to be a decent FG coach. In 12 months time, even with Sandow and the other signings, I believe we will be in a similar position on the table and hopefully looking for a new coach.

spartan2153

Juniors
I reckon Kearney is struggling atm; his tactics, selection policy and use of the bench is disturbing. This is evident when he coach's NZ with his hooker rotation. I have waited until round 17 to judge the man but I do not believe he has what it takes to be a decent FG coach. In 12 months time, even with Sandow and the other signings, I believe we will be in a similar position on the table and hopefully looking for a new coach.

Watch out. U just said the unthinkable. I dont rate him either but his true test will be next year. Until then we have to be silent

Eels Dude

Coach
I don't think anyone should be upset with any fan not being happy .... did you notice Hindy after the game? - he was f'n livid - haven't seen him react like that for ages

we did well against st george and manly .... but its incredibly disappointing when you can't lift and win games that are really must win games .... sure we don't have a great team, but it'd be really nice to enjoy seeing our team lift and win games like you see other teams do when their chips are down

I agree. He looked furious. He didn't even want to leave the field after the match just strutted up and down venting his frustration. That's a Hindy we've not seen in a while.

Eels Dude

Coach
It's complete and utter crap to say that they wanted it more than us. It's such an easy thing to say from the sidelines. It's also an easy excuse for a player or coach - they aren't very often going to come out and say "we are crap", or point out to the other teams our own deficiencies, are they?

The fact is that if Loko could catch and pass and Walker could tackle, it would have been us up 6 at half-time.

Then if Horo takes that pass, or has a better understanding with Reni and hits the huge f**king gap that was created earlier, he could have scored two. Instead, we have a length-of-the-field try go against us.

Then in the dying minutes our ageing 5/8 couldn't tackle a backrower and the new kid O'Hanlon wasn't coming across to help him quick enough. McGuire can't play 80 min in the halves at 100% and the kid didn't realise the in the top grade you always have to be super-enthusiastic at helping from the inside.

So, in essence, we are a few quality players short of having a team that can win these close ones. Our kids are a bit too green and our experienced players are lacking in certain areas - Walker's defence, Webb and McGuire's fitness.

It's nothing to get carried away with, because it's not that bad and nothing that can't be fixed with a few additions. But we have to realise that 2011 is a write-off. Reni showed class, and with him, Hayne and Sandow on board, we only need a little touch of class to the outside backs and we are right up there.

What about the Broncos side then? You could easily make up a similar bunch of excuses if they lost last night. Compare the experience of their side to ours and then come back and explain your point again.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
So in the last 6 weeks we lose several games by abut 6 or so points with a squad we all agree is not of the greatest quality or depth - and we doubt Kearney's coaching ability. The fact is we have improved from the start of the season and next year at least we will be adding a very good halfback to the side as will as good centre and 5/8. I can only see a lot of upside with the eels over then next 2-3 years.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
So in the last 6 weeks we lose several games by abut 6 or so points with a squad we all agree is not of the greatest quality or depth - and we doubt Kearney's coaching ability. The fact is we have improved from the start of the season and next year at least we will be adding a very good halfback to the side as will as good centre and 5/8. I can only see a lot of upside with the eels over then next 2-3 years.

Also Maitua too. He is like a new signing. He will be fantastic next year.

spartan2153

Juniors
A loss is a loss. Let's play well all year & still lose all games. It's about winning & the knives will be out next year

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What about the Broncos side then? You could easily make up a similar bunch of excuses if they lost last night. Compare the experience of their side to ours and then come back and explain your point again.

Mate you go on about experience as if it's the be-all and end-all of a player.

'Experience' usually means a player is old, and with that comes a loss in physical ability. We were (mostly) more experienced than the Broncos last night but we were also a lot slower, especially on the edges.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
A loss is a loss. Let's play well all year & still lose all games. It's about winning & the knives will be out next year

yep agree, a loss is a loss. Yep I am unhappy we are losing, but I can clearly see the eels are improving but just lack in a few area's. If next year we don't improve on this year considering we will have a set of decent halves, then I will judge Kearney.