What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

End of Season Tournament

Pistol

Coach
ok

I'm all for the 4 Nations. And PNG has my full support to be the 4th nation. If everyone is happy with this arrangement, we'll call it that and go from there.

I can understand the sentiment for a 5 v 5 starting lineup, but considering the depth of the pool at that time of the year, it may not be feasible.

I believe there was an occasion in the WC where a side didnt field the 3 players. I am not saying that the numbers should dip below the 3, but we need to look at all sides being able to field the full compliment, whatever that should be.

Pistol

Coach
the below is a point made in the World Cup thread

* Each team is to have 5 players - 3 starters and 2 reserves. This doesnt mean that the squad is that size, just the team taking the field.

I think the cap was 8 if there was one.

ok

I'm all for the 4 Nations. And PNG has my full support to be the 4th nation. If everyone is happy with this arrangement, we'll call it that and go from there.

I can understand the sentiment for a 5 v 5 starting lineup, but considering the depth of the pool at that time of the year, it may not be feasible.

I believe there was an occasion in the WC where a side didnt field the 3 players. I am not saying that the numbers should dip below the 3, but we need to look at all sides being able to field the full compliment, whatever that should be.

I agree, all though i will not be competiting this year for the 4 nations, i will be happy to play for a team that consistantly cant field a full squad!

here is how i rekon the season should be played out:

Australia vs England
PNG vs NZ

England vs PNG
NZ vs Australia

England vs NZ
PNG vs Australia

Australia vs NZ
PNG vs England

finals week one:
Highest ranked nation vs Third ranked nation - winner moves to grand final, loser eliminated
Second ranked nation vs Worst ranked nation - winner moves to grand final - loser gone

Finals Week two:
Loser A vs Loser B in 2nd division cup (gives grand finalists 10 extra days to prepare)

Grand final:
Winner A vs Winner B

I agree, all though i will not be competiting this year for the 4 nations, i will be happy to play for a team that consistantly cant field a full squad!

here is how i rekon the season should be played out:

Australia vs England
PNG vs NZ

England vs PNG
NZ vs Australia

England vs NZ
PNG vs Australia

Australia vs NZ
PNG vs England

finals week one:
Highest ranked nation vs Third ranked nation - winner moves to grand final, loser eliminated
Second ranked nation vs Worst ranked nation - winner moves to grand final - loser gone

Finals Week two:
Loser A vs Loser B in 2nd division cup (gives grand finalists 10 extra days to prepare)

Grand final:
Winner A vs Winner B

Your second and fourth rounds are the same. We only need one.
Three weeks for finals is a bit too much too. If a Grand Final is needed only first and second should go straight in. You've given no advantage to teams finishing 1st or 2nd.

Pistol

Coach
Your second and fourth rounds are the same. We only need one.
Three weeks for finals is a bit too much too. If a Grand Final is needed only first and second should go straight in. You've given no advantage to teams finishing 1st or 2nd.

agreed

the last thing needed is a tourny that draws out and fizzles to an uninteresting finish.

Keep it simple. Each team plays each other once. Top 2 play off for the title

agreed

the last thing needed is a tourny that draws out and fizzles to an uninteresting finish.

Keep it simple. Each team plays each other once. Top 2 play off for the title

The idea he came up of for the bottom two sides to play off for the Bronze Medal is a pretty good idea though.

That's four rounds per team.

Pistol

Coach
The idea he came up of for the bottom two sides to play off for the Bronze Medal is a pretty good idea though.

That's four rounds per team.

so the top 2 can play off for the 4 Nations Cup

the bottom two can play off for the 4 Nations Plate

Just like the old time World Sevens (well...six years ago was old).
You guys did similar for PvP if I can remember...

Cup, Shield and Plate. Works well. :D

bartman

Immortal
All sounds good.

8 player squads for each nation, with 3 starters plus 2 benchies selected per match across four matches.

Good luck with it, I know of at least one Eel that is interested, and will spread the word in case any others are available October/November/December.

Pistol

Coach
We need names for the trophies

4 Nations Plate/Cup/Shield sounds a bit bland

Suggestions please

Sounds like a good idea with the former greats.
However, I wouldn't do it with too many of them.
It might be seen as a strange thing to name the award after a great for a team coming third out of a four team competition, if I make sense.

Latest posts