What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

End of Season Tournament

bartman

Immortal
I have concerns at the number of players required at the time of year of any end of season tournament. based on past years, numbers are (understandably) down once the real Grand Final is played.

I'd suggest that any structure for an end of season tournament looks for success from a modest level of participation and commitment, rather than risk potential anti-climax from what may be otherwise great ideas.

4 squads of minimum 5 players, playing 3 v 3 matches with two subs (mirroring a quad nations draw, or general round robin structure with final) equals a requirement for minimum 20 active F7s players at that time of year... Not sure how many fronted for last year's F7s World Cup, but I feel that number's a realistic and achievable target to aim for.

well i would have to say, all though i will not be competiting in this end of year tournament at this stage, that we should have a 'trial' match to decide the final two teams! New Zealand and Australia are full of numbers so they should be granted entry, and possibly two trial games with England vs PNG, France vs ROTW, it would create a good build up to the comp.

and is that PVP thing going to happen again?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
have quad nations.. drop the 'rest of the world' and replace with the reigning end of year premiers, the kumuls..

bartman

Immortal
Just thought I'd better say that I'll be a non-starter in the off-season F7s tourney this year - will have a few pressing real life things to attend to at that time, like finding/changing jobs and moving house/finding a new housemate.

But will promote whatever the final structure of the tourney is to the Eels squad members, in case they are interested in a run.

Good luck with that Bart!

It seems people are pushing towards an AUS/NZ/ENG/PNG quad nations, no objections to it?

bartman

Immortal
Cheers for that N-T, it's going to be a busy couple of months - as I'm sure you know!

Four teams make sense, and I don't think there has been much of an F7s history with/pull for France, so with PNG it all sounds good, so long as there's enough players with hands up for all the rounds.

I do think that an agreement/decision probably needs to be reached soon though, before too many players from teams out of the F7s race clock off for the year...

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm all for PNG to be the 4th nation.

I think 5 v 5 isn't too big an ask.

3 games each, the top 2 teams play the final (time can be allotted to a semi or 2 if there's a tie between second third and fourth).

Round 1
Aus v PNG
NZ v GB

Round 2
PNG v NZ
GB v AUS

Round 3
NZ v AUS
PNG v GB

Final
1st v 2nd

Australia and New Zealand will have no problems getting numbers. There's plenty of support for the PNG side in here alone, so I feel they'll be right numbers wise as well.

GB will be the only side in any sort of doubt, if there is any doubt to be had.

Limit test sides to 8 players each

i agree 100 % madunit lol

but i think we should drop the 10 day period and have like a 7 day period, then i would be able to play in most of the games lol, 10 a game would hinder my avaibality

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unfortunately mate, as is the case with everything in life (generally speaking) rules aren't made to suit the minority.

We need to provide all line ups the maximum amount of time possible to get their full compliment of articles in.

10 days is a good time length and I don't think that should ever be changed

I love it. I could see 20 articles per week I would think.
If GB have problems (real ones) I'm sure something could be worked out.

Madunit...I can only think of one thing to say to you regarding your amazing avatar...
FATHER!

Pistol

Coach
I love it. I could see 20 articles per week I would think.
If GB have problems (real ones) I'm sure something could be worked out.

Madunit...I can only think of one thing to say to you regarding your amazing avatar...
FATHER!

i love the enthusiasm, but for that time of year, 5 articles per might be pushing it.

bartman

Immortal
think small, find a place for everyone who is available/up for it, and have fun :thumn

bartman

Immortal
Stay tuned Fanaticeel, details of the end of season toruney should appear here shortly. :thumn

Latest posts