What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England name Train on squad

Its a big call but from hearing his interview, good on him. He seems to made his mind and feels other blokes are ahead of him at Origin.
Do you think they may change the SOO eligibility sometime in the future - It's not been a selection criteria for the Australian National side for sometime.

Currently if a player has played for a Tier 1 nation other than Australia they are ineligible for SOO selection.

Players that have played for Tier 1 Nations can play for Tier 2 Nations if they meet the eligibility rules and Players can play SOO and then play for a Tier 2 Nation

I know it will be said the above helps international football but how long can a country be a Tier 2 Nation in Rugby League?

Should all players be eligible to play SOO and for whatever state they are eligible to play for irrespective of if they have played for a Tier 1 nation other than Australia?

Perth Red

Post Whore
The whole tier 1 tier, 2 notion is outdated and serves no purpose. Time to ditch it and bring in new eligibility rules for origin and International representation. There is zero reason Radley shouldn't be able to play for England and NSW. SOO isn't a trial for a Kangaroos jersey, never has been.

Iamback

Coach
Do you think they may change the SOO eligibility sometime in the future - It's not been a selection criteria for the Australian National side for sometime.

Currently if a player has played for a Tier 1 nation other than Australia they are ineligible for SOO selection.

Players that have played for Tier 1 Nations can play for Tier 2 Nations if they meet the eligibility rules and Players can play SOO and then play for a Tier 2 Nation

I know it will be said the above helps international football but how long can a country be a Tier 2 Nation in Rugby League?

Should all players be eligible to play SOO and for whatever state they are eligible to play for irrespective of if they have played for a Tier 1 nation other than Australia?

It is a rule that hasn't been an issue in the past but Tonga should be tier 1 soon enough. Then it will push the change

Perth Red

Post Whore
Mal agrees with me!

Meninga suggested the tier system be scrapped, with players being able to play for the state they were born in, before having the option to represent their ancestral nation.
“I think the whole eligibility issue needs to be addressed. My belief is you take away all the tiers in place. If you’re born in NSW or Queensland, you’re eligible for Origin, and if you then want to represent your ancestral nation, be it England or New Zealand, you can go and play for them,”

jim_57

Staff member
Mal agrees with me!

Meninga suggested the tier system be scrapped, with players being able to play for the state they were born in, before having the option to represent their ancestral nation.
“I think the whole eligibility issue needs to be addressed. My belief is you take away all the tiers in place. If you’re born in NSW or Queensland, you’re eligible for Origin, and if you then want to represent your ancestral nation, be it England or New Zealand, you can go and play for them,”

Mal agrees with me!

Keep every rule as is just ditch the “Can’t play for another tier 1”. Like I’ve said before To’o, Luai & Crichton can now play for Samoa and be back in Origin next year but Radley is locked out for life, doesn’t make sense.

If you’re born in Queensland/NSW, moved there before turning 14 or your father played for them you’re eligible regardless.

The most interesting part of this saga to me is what Hooper said on 360 the other night. Apparently Victor rang Freddy and asked him to be in the game 2 squad and he was selected. So to make Freddy's blues all you really need to do is call him.

jim_57

Staff member
England should play a RLWC selection trial

ESL v NRL english players
1. B Hodgson
2. D Young
3. H Farnworth
4. O Gildart
7. J Hastings
8. L Thompson
9. J Hodgson
10. T Burgess
11. H Rushton
12. E Whitehead
13. V Radley
15. R Sutton
16. G Burgess

Not quite there. A few more coming next year from memory but still not enough.

Iamback

Coach
Mal agrees with me!

Again for the slow one.

It hasn't been an issue before. So why would it be changed? Origin often changes rules after it is needed.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Again for the slow one.

It hasn't been an issue before. So why would it be changed? Origin often changes rules after it is needed.
Again for the ignorant one, how do you know? How do you know players haven't chosen Origin over their choice of national eligibility? Id be very surprised if no NZ eligible Origin player hasn't had his choice taken away and would have preferred to have had the option to play origin and for the Kiwis. Its an outdated rule, as is the tiering notion. Ditch them both and do what Mal says.

Iamback

Coach
Again for the ignorant one, how do you know? How do you know players haven't chosen Origin over their choice of national eligibility? Id be very surprised if no NZ eligible Origin player hasn't had his choice taken away and would have preferred to have had the option to play origin and for the Kiwis. Its an outdated rule, as is the tiering notion. Ditch them both and do what Mal says.

Because Australian born players have chosen NZ. Not everyone wants to play Origin or for Australia. Players have a voice now days with social media they hadn't before. They would tell us

Again though.
We had player come from ESL to play origin - Then they closed the rule.

QLD named TBA - So could have a player serve a suspension then play Origin. Closed that rule

The latest changes to being 13 - Came from GI playing for QLD.

The majority of the rules are from the 80's...Long before they had islander players in the comp. RL soon makes the amendments when they become issues

Radley followed by Tonga soon being Tier 1 will see the rules changed. 99% of NZ guys will still be ineligible for Origin so you will see very little change

Perth Red

Post Whore
Because Australian born players have chosen NZ. Not everyone wants to play Origin or for Australia. Players have a voice now days with social media they hadn't before. They would tell us

Again though.
We had player come from ESL to play origin - Then they closed the rule.

QLD named TBA - So could have a player serve a suspension then play Origin. Closed that rule

The latest changes to being 13 - Came from GI playing for QLD.

The majority of the rules are from the 80's...Long before they had islander players in the comp. RL soon makes the amendments when they become issues

Radley followed by Tonga soon being Tier 1 will see the rules changed. 99% of NZ guys will still be ineligible for Origin so you will see very little change
I think Victor Radley just did lol. I'm sure he'd have loved to play for NSW AND England. dumb rule that is way past its use by date.

siv

First Grade
1. B Hodgson
2. D Young
3. H Farnworth
4. O Gildart
7. J Hastings
8. L Thompson
9. J Hodgson
10. T Burgess
11. H Rushton
12. E Whitehead
13. V Radley
15. R Sutton
16. G Burgess

Not quite there. A few more coming next year from memory but still not enough.
Well I guess they could add a few ring ins to fill the gap like McQueen

Perth Red

Post Whore
Soooo England squad. What's peoples thoughts? This is suggestion from @LoveRugbyLeague

1. Sam Tomkins (Dragons)
2. Tommy Makinson (St's)
3. Herbie Farnworth (Broncos)
4. Harry Newman (Rhinos)
5. Ryan Hall (Robins)
6. Jonny Lomax (St's)
7. George Williams (Wolves)
8. Luke Thompson (Bulldogs)
9. James Roby (St's)
10. Tom Burgess (Souths)
11. Elliott Whitehead (Raiders)
12. John Bateman (Wigan)
13. Victor Radley (Roosters)
14. Micky Mcllorum (St's)
15. Alex Walmsley (St's)
16. Morgan Knowles (St's)
17. Matty Lees (Leeds)

The Penguin #6.

Juniors
Soooo England squad. What's peoples thoughts? This is suggestion from @LoveRugbyLeague

1. Sam Tomkins (Dragons)
2. Tommy Makinson (St's)
4. Harry Newman (Rhinos)
5. Ryan Hall (Robins)
6. Jonny Lomax (St's)
9. James Roby (St's)
10. Tom Burgess (Souths)
12. John Bateman (Wigan)
15. Alex Walmsley (St's)
17. Matty Lees (Leeds)

A lot of the English based players I don`t know much about, but I do know that I hope they have a good back up for Sam Tomkins because he`s fragile and I can`t see him making it the whole way through a tournament that involves world class PI teams or the Kiwi`s.
And as far as the Burgess`s go, the only one that is of world class status was Sam, if they are picking Tom they are in trouble.
And btw how old is James Roby... f**king ancient.. he`ll get run off his feet and shown up.
Hate to say it the Pom`s are in trouble.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Cam smith was still the best hooker in the game at 34. He'll be spelled by Mcllorum.
Agree about tomkins. I'm no fan but the FB options look unusually slim for England.

Will Farnworth be fit to play by then? - They could also pick Jackson Hastings if he has also recovered from his injury in time.

taste2taste

Juniors

1. Sam Tomkins (Dragons)
2. Tommy Makinson (St's)
4. Harry Newman (Rhinos)
5. Ryan Hall (Robins)
6. Jonny Lomax (St's)
9. James Roby (St's)
10. Tom Burgess (Souths)
12. John Bateman (Wigan)
15. Alex Walmsley (St's)
17. Matty Lees (Leeds)

I'm not overly familiar with the ESL, but looks like a decent forward pack but will get out muscled by the top teams. They'll have a tough time in thier opening game against Samoa.

I read Leon Pryce has a son that is going to be a star ? Will he get a run ?
Surely Dominic Young from the Knights gets a start over Ryan Hall who couldn't even get a run in 1st grade for the Roosters.
No Widdop ? Is he still around and playing at a high level ?

Last edited: