What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England v Australia @ DW Stadium, Wigan

England v Australia; Who will win (or draw)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aussies1st

Staff member
We are missing that x-factor forward like a Dave Taylor or TLL. Poor selection to not even have them in the squad. And we need to work on the combination, that was terrible again.

Are we talking about Michael Jennings here? Deadset he's a contender for the invisible man if the ball doesn't go his way.

Defending Hodges and now dissing Jennings?

Jennings will want the ball. For starters, he'll be keen to make the most of his speed and elusiveness when Australia are just about to get to half way. This is where he is the most dangerous. As a rookie, he will be craving the opportunity to do something and be involved in the game. I seriously doubt that he'll be content to stand around and let the play run without him.

Yep, you have a great rugby league mind.

Big Pete

Referee
Defending Hodges and now dissing Jennings?

Jennings will want the ball. For starters, he'll be keen to make the most of his speed and elusiveness when Australia are just about to get to half way. This is where he is the most dangerous. As a rookie, he will be craving the opportunity to do something and be involved in the game. I seriously doubt that he'll be content to stand around and let the play run without him.

Yep, you have a great rugby league mind.

Or like Brett Morris he could be just about ready to sh*t his pants.

One of the biggest complaint coming out of Penrith in regards to Jennings is his inability to go searching for the ball. Unless he has some space or Pritchard holding his hands, Jennings is about as effective as taking a blind person to a silent movie. (Who would do that anyways...)

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I agree with Big Pete completely except for having Gallen in the side.

I find it ironic that you HJ are having a go at Pete for his "great mind" when you are the one who thinks Burt is a better fullback then Hayne.

Jennings does go missing when the going gets tough, like the Panthers game against Parra late this year.

Hodges didnt do anything wrong in the game, we all want to see Hayne involved in the game but not a hospital pass which what any pass from Hodges to Hayne would have been in the game.

People are really over reacting over the draw. The forward pack was out muscled and its clear that there was pretty much no training in attack, thats it, it can easily change.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Oh dear Pete. You've got massive issues.

Morris the worst player on the field? F**k me dead mate :lol:

I have a problem with Hodges because he put in a poor performance on Sunday morning. He went missing in my book, his stats weren't great either. His stats compared to GI were woeful actually. Morris wasn't great but he did well for a debutant. Hodges should be doing far better given his experience at rep level.

j0nesy

Bench
The problem was our forwards not our backs. Not sure that mass changes are the answer, particuarly considering we don't really have a much of a squad to choose from. I'd definitely bring Hindmarsh in to the squad though, perhaps in place of Hoffman.

Noa

First Grade
The whole backline was out of sync so I dont know why anyone is looking for scapegoats there, well apart from Mr Inglis.

The forwards are where any and all changes should be made, and those Id have in the firing line:

Thaiday - Always leaves me with the nagging feeling he's just below rep standard, probaly got to leave him in though due to the balance of the squad we picked

Hoffman - If you dont have him running lines out wide he aint going to do much else for you

Hannant - see Thaiday but only one of him or White can go.

White - Mixes his form at NRL level so dont know why they thought he could lead Australias forward pack

Gidley - Slater doesnt need a rest, Cam may need 10minutes at most, so not really needed at this level. Put Lewis on the bench and when/if Cam needs a rest send Billy there, Hayne to FB, Lewis to center, GI to wing.

Id probably go with this

1. Billy Slater
2. Brett Morris
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges
5. Jarryd Hayne
6. Darren Lockyer (c)
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Ben Hannant
9. Cameron Smith
10. Petero Civoniceiva
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Anthony Watmough
13. Paul Gallen

14. Sam Thaiday
15. David Shillington
16. Sam Thaiday
17. Luke Lewis

Big Pete

Referee
Oh dear Pete. You've got massive issues.

Morris the worst player on the field? F**k me dead mate :lol:

I have a problem with Hodges because he put in a poor performance on Sunday morning. He went missing in my book, his stats weren't great either. His stats compared to GI were woeful actually. Morris wasn't great but he did well for a debutant. Hodges should be doing far better given his experience at rep level.

Massive issues? Explain.

Who was worse than Morris? Aside from a few quiet/limited performances nobody was actually poor aside from Morris who made three crucial errors. However I don't believe he should be dropped and should be given the entire series to prove himself (unless he pulls a Hodges circa 2002).

Speaking of Hodges, one quiet performance shouldn't see him dropped. The last thing Australia needs is an inexperienced centre to play on a 'foreign' side of the field. Not to mention, behind Inglis, Hodges is easily the most talented centre in the world.

Noa

First Grade
Speaking of Hodges, one quiet performance shouldn't see him dropped. The last thing Australia needs is an inexperienced centre to play on a 'foreign' side of the field. Not to mention, behind Inglis, Hodges is easily the most talented centre in the world.

Wasnt he one of our best in the test earlier in the year.

feeding frenzy

Juniors
In saying, a Thurston/Cronk halves pairing would be interesting to see. I've always seen Thurston as a five eigth and I believe Cronk would be a suitable foil given his clinical style of play. However, dropping Lockyer at this point would do more harm than good and I'd only roll with that combination for the game against France.

To put my money where my mouth is...

1. Billy Slater
2. Brett Morris
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges
5. Jarryd Hayne
6. Darren Lockyer (c)
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Ben Hannant
9. Cameron Smith
10. Petero Civoniceiva
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Anthony Watmough
13. Paul Gallen

14. Brett White
15. David Shillington
16. Sam Thaiday
17. Ryan Hoffman

*Keep the backline how it is, Morris can't play any worse and there's no need to apply pressure to any of the young rookies to perform.

*Changed the starting pack for balance and application. As a result the bench is made up of impact players with Thaiday and Hoffman coming into the backrow while White and Shillington can give Civoniceiva and Hannant a breather.

Exactly how i would have it maybe bring choc of the bench and start with thaiday , choc would be bettter used as an impact player like in origin.

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
I'd love Hodges to play. He's going to get knocked the f**k out. That pikey merkin has it coming.

Hodges is a pretend hard man and he'll go missing again when the English forwards stand up.

I hate that twig. Hope he trips and dies.

Beez

Juniors
In saying, a Thurston/Cronk halves pairing would be interesting to see. I've always seen Thurston as a five eigth and I believe Cronk would be a suitable foil given his clinical style of play. However, dropping Lockyer at this point would do more harm than good and I'd only roll with that combination for the game against France.

To put my money where my mouth is...

1. Billy Slater
2. Brett Morris
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges
5. Jarryd Hayne
6. Darren Lockyer (c)
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Ben Hannant
9. Cameron Smith
10. Petero Civoniceiva
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Anthony Watmough
13. Paul Gallen

14. Brett White
15. David Shillington
16. Sam Thaiday
17. Ryan Hoffman

*Keep the backline how it is, Morris can't play any worse and there's no need to apply pressure to any of the young rookies to perform.

*Changed the starting pack for balance and application. As a result the bench is made up of impact players with Thaiday and Hoffman coming into the backrow while White and Shillington can give Civoniceiva and Hannant a breather.

I like this team. The backs can stay as they are (maybe swap Hayne & Morris). The back row has a lot more grunt and is better balanced, with Hoffman & Thaiday being the explosive back rowers coming of the bench which suits their game IMO. Hoffman can fill in at centre if there's an injury to the backs, Slater can fill in at hooker if there's an injury to Smith, & Hayne most definately can fill in at fullback if Slater gets shifted or injured.

I think the whole team will perform better as they had no trial game prior to NZ.

user_nat

Coach
I'd love Hodges to play. He's going to get knocked the f**k out. That pikey merkin has it coming.

Hodges is a pretend hard man and he'll go missing again when the English forwards stand up.

This post is somewhat amusing.. I mean really, you want a football player to die cause you don't like them? :crazy:

hutch

First Grade

wtf is wrong with you?

DeeJ

Bench
Why do so many people think Slater can fill in at hooker? He can barely pass the ball accurately so why would you put him in the position where he has to do it over and over.

hutch

First Grade
The whole backline was out of sync so I dont know why anyone is looking for scapegoats there, well apart from Mr Inglis.

The forwards are where any and all changes should be made, and those Id have in the firing line:

Thaiday - Always leaves me with the nagging feeling he's just below rep standard, probaly got to leave him in though due to the balance of the squad we picked

Hoffman - If you dont have him running lines out wide he aint going to do much else for you

Hannant - see Thaiday but only one of him or White can go.

White - Mixes his form at NRL level so dont know why they thought he could lead Australias forward pack

Gidley - Slater doesnt need a rest, Cam may need 10minutes at most, so not really needed at this level. Put Lewis on the bench and when/if Cam needs a rest send Billy there, Hayne to FB, Lewis to center, GI to wing.

Id probably go with this

1. Billy Slater
2. Brett Morris
3. Greg Inglis
4. Justin Hodges
5. Jarryd Hayne
6. Darren Lockyer (c)
7. Johnathan Thurston
8. Ben Hannant
9. Cameron Smith
10. Petero Civoniceiva
11. Nathan Hindmarsh
12. Anthony Watmough
13. Paul Gallen

14. Sam Thaiday
15. David Shillington
16. Sam Thaiday
17. Luke Lewis

id go with this as wel, except for the two thaidays. thaiday, white, waterhouse going for the 2 remaining bench spots.

Bman26

Juniors
Why do so many people think Slater can fill in at hooker? He can barely pass the ball accurately so why would you put him in the position where he has to do it over and over.

Because he did it and did it well on a weekly basis for the storm in 2008 when he won the golden boot.