What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

England v Samoa 2024 series

Matua

Bench
You can't compare the two. The players missing out for samoa are the Panthers boys who are way overdue for a rest after playing 5 grandfinals in a row. Some of those players also played Origin after a long season. Tonga basically only has one origin player (Olakau'atu) I'm glad they're resting now and I hope they're free next year to play the Kiwis and Tonga in the Pacific Championships
Come on bro, that's pretty weak. JFH is first in line for the Kiwis and he's in the same boat.

If they're injured then fine, but the picking and choosing for internationals is one of the suckiest things in league. (Except for when Ponga does it because he really wants to play for the Kiwis ;) ).

Critchon, Leniu weren't part of the finals this year but they were the last 4 years. I will never downplay there commitment to samoa because they could've easily said no to samoa and chase the money by wearing the kangaroos jersey instead. Luai didn't play for samoa last year so he's a bit more fresher then those guys.
To be fair, Crichton did play the first week of finals… my bad on that. Can’t believe I short changed him after the year he had.

But surely you don’t really think Luai is fresher because of the time off he had a year ago while sorting his shoulder?

The man has played 27 games since then incl Origin, while Critta not only played fewer games , he’s had the last 3 weeks off. No way is Luai fresher than any of those guys who’ve stayed home.

taste2taste

Juniors
Well like I said, I know there’s various reasons and most will be valid so it is what it is. And I also know the organisers didn’t help by being slow with confirming dates.

But I don’t buy the workload thing. I’m not downplaying how long the season is, but Luai should be the first one staying home if it was a problem across the board.

Crichton didn’t play finals and Leniu only played 17 NRL games this season, mostly off the bench. Yea he played Origin too but they were also off the bench.

Compared to Nanai who started most of his 23 club games and Origin, and Blore who started all bar 1 of his 24 games including the GF.

I get Crichton’s wedding was another factor, but other players have cut honeymoons or holidays short when called up for rep duty.

Like I said, it is what it is. And hopefully the boys all make themselves available next year when playing closer to home. But when they’re all clearly as proud of their culture as they are, genuine injuries aside, I’m still disappointed more of them didn’t front up like Luai has.
IMO it's just a sad state the international game is currently in.

Players opt out of playing for thier country so they are fit for the start of the NRL season.

I hope the day will come where players will delay surgery to play for thier country even if it means they will miss the first 2 rounds of the NRL season ( which btw is about 10 rounds too long)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Didn't this change a few years ago ? All players get the same, doesn't matter if you're playing for Kangaroos, England or Samoa, PNG ?
I think thats only for the NRl linked countries playing in NRl run comps. (ie when in th epacific championships) The other nations get paid depending on expected revenue or whats in their EBA.

Latest posts