What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

English fans, what do you think of the NRL?

Pom fans, What do you think of the NRL?

• Total voters

fourplay

Juniors
novacastrian_panther said:
Since nobody in AUS cares about the ESL, wat do poms think about the NRL?

Wtf ? I'm Aus and always watch the ESL. Foxsports ratings for ESL proves a lot DO care.

I think this whole "dont care about the ESL" stems from Australia getting humiliated every year in the WCC.

Lowey3

Juniors
A very good competition made so by the rules. Far too many people lieing on the tackle, slowing the play the ball down. Allowing all players to get back the ten.

Just get off them and play the game ffs, if not then it's a penalty.

I'm happy with ESL, our top teams are very good and the game is geting more even each year. I find it insulting how we never get any credit at all by the Australians, the likes of Pryce and Roby would be stars in the NRL. Yet it wont sink in to the ockers because they're British n play for a ESL side.

Ask Lyon and Johns if ESL is so poor, they's disagree.

Azkatro

First Grade
I think the ESL's biggest problem is depth. I think there a few sides that would compete well in the NRL competition, such as St Helens, Bradford, Leeds and maybe Hull and Warrington. But beyond that you start to get real thin on quality sides, give the likes of Catalans, Castleford, Harlequins or the newly promoted Hull KR a few key injuries and the big boys very quickly start to put cricket scores on them.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Solid comp but too much focus on failing Sydney clubs. SL has the M62 corridor, NRL has the East coast corridor.

Perth Red said:
Solid comp but too much focus on failing Sydney clubs. SL has the M62 corridor, NRL has the East coast corridor.

Failing sydney clubs ? in the last ten years, Manly, Canterbury , wests tigers, penrith and the roosters have all won the comp. add in st geroge and parramatta who have both played in a grand final or two and i would hardly call them 'failing'.

CAS

Juniors
I like it, but then again, i love all RL no matter where it is played.

I hope to travel to NZ in the not too distant future, and will make sure i get over and see some NRL Games in the Flesh, hopefully at one of the Traditional Grounds too.

This supposed M62 Corridor though is just that, Supposed. RL is played all over the Country...FACT. I should Know, i have played in many so called, Non Traditional Areas, but yes, its stronghold is the North of England, nothing to be ashamed of.

Been to a local game today, and seen plenty of NRL Shirts, the Roosters one been quite Popular. :shock: :shock:

Misty Bee

First Grade
Failing - as opposed to 'failed' like Perth and their rush to secure their future (death) with super League?

Walt Flanigan

Referee
herbert henry1908 said:
Failing sydney clubs ? in the last ten years, Manly, Canterbury , wests tigers, penrith and the roosters have all won the comp. add in st geroge and parramatta who have both played in a grand final or two and i would hardly call them 'failing'.

and since the premiership first left Sydney in 1989 it's only been back 7 times opposed to 11 premierships to non-sydney teams. 12 if you include the fact a sydney team couldn't score a premiership in either ARL or Super League in 1997.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Glad to know, Flanagan, that you considered Adelaide, Hunter, Auckland, Perth etc 'rampant sucesses'.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
Glad to know, Flanagan, that you considered Adelaide, Hunter, Auckland, Perth etc 'rampant sucesses'.
I refuse to belive that you are anything but a badly designed troll-bot.

BTW Adelaide, Hunter, Auckland, Perth have something in common with the Sharks, Rabbitohs, Sea-Eagles, Eels and Dragons. Want to guess what it is? They've won sfa since 1988.

Misty Bee

First Grade
And I refuse to believe you IQ can be in double figures without a decimal point.

Yep - all failures. At least they are alive, under their own steam, and unlike your mob, didn't have to kill all their neighbours to survive.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Misty Bee said:
And I refuse to believe you IQ can be in double figures without a decimal point.
Can you show me where Walt Flanigan called Adelaide, Hunter, Auckland or Perth "rampant sucesses"? Because I'm pretty sure that to use quotation marks you actually need someone to say what what you are quoting.

Misty Bee said:
Yep - all failures. At least they are alive, under their own steam, and unlike your mob, didn't have to kill all their neighbours to survive.
Those teams are alive because the NSWRL are a bunch of Sydney-centric pricks who have done their best to kill off League outside of NSW.

dingalingbell

Juniors
I absolutly love it, is def better than Super League without a doubt. One of the main reasons though is that anyone can win it, (i think the way the salary cap works is great) wheras in SL no-one outside the top 5 really has a chance. I do, however, think that the top teams in SL would do well in the NRL, its just the gulf in class between the top and bottom of SL is enormous.

I think the level of talent produced is unbelievable, the strength in depth for the kangaroos is not funny. In the last 3 years the league's best players have all been teenagers (Williams, Marshall, Inglis) and that has to be good for the game.

Some things I do find wierd though are the fact that so many games are played @ Telstra, sometimes there can't be more than 10,000 people there, can't be much of an atmosphere for the players. Also find it wierd that Paramatta play their home games V Warriors in NZ. Doesn't that lose them their home advantage? I also think there are more blow out scorelines in the NRL than in SL, which is strange considering how close the league is.

The Preacher

First Grade
Lockyer4President! said:
Those teams are alive because the NSWRL are a bunch of Sydney-centric pricks who have done their best to kill off League outside of NSW.
:roll:

You poor, poor fool. If it wasn't for the NSWRL / ARL the Broncos wouldn't be in the comp. It was those so-called "Sydney-centric pricks" that saved you, not trying their best to kill you.
This f**king stupid "Us against them" mentality of some of the northern neighbours pisses me no end.
Just how old are you L4P, and what intimate knowledge of NSWRL workings of the past do you actually have ???
Very, very little by the look of that posted dribble.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
The Preacher said:
:roll:

You poor, poor fool. If it wasn't for the NSWRL / ARL the Broncos wouldn't be in the comp. It was those so-called "Sydney-centric pricks" that saved you, not trying their best to kill you.
This f**king stupid "Us against them" mentality of some of the northern neighbours pisses me no end.
Just how old are you L4P, and what intimate knowledge of NSWRL workings of the past do you actually have ???
Very, very little by the look of that posted dribble.
You have no idea what you are talking about. If you think that adding one Brisbane team 'saved' footy in QLD than you are insane.

The fact that I'm 22 and you're 47 doesn't make what you say any more valid. Unless you are one of those 'git off ma lawn' types who don't listen to anyone younger than themselves.

The Preacher

First Grade
Lockyer4President! said:
You have no idea what you are talking about. If you think that adding one Brisbane team 'saved' footy in QLD than you are insane.

The fact that I'm 22 and you're 47 doesn't make what you say any more valid. Unless you are one of those 'git off ma lawn' types who don't listen to anyone younger than themselves.

I happened to live your state for 8 yrs+ and I played footy, had a radio sports show and saw the workings of your own powers to be for myself. I saw the way it was Brisbane 1,2,3, and bugger the country, so don't try telling me what the NSWRL did that was so wrong when you haven't looked after your own "dirty laundry" beforehand.
You know nothing about the NSWRL, you are just another poor fool with an inferiority complex, always wanting to blame someons elses governing body for not giving you a fair go.
I listen to all sides of a discussion, but I can't listen to whinging and bleating from people that have no idea. I have no problem listening to those younger than myself, as long as they have facts to back up their point. You my friend DO NOT.

Misty Bee

First Grade
Locky, you brainless twat. It was the NSWRL that expanded the game out of Sydney, and then NSW, and then Australia.

Then the broncos got hold of it and it shrank again. It got killes in WA and SA, and they also killed half the QLD based clubs. This is basic stuff. Some simple protazoa know it! Says a lot about you that you don't. Fool.

Latest posts