What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

English opinion on ARL commission

Perth Red

Post Whore
Despite little money the RFL is supporting the growth of the game in Europe in a number of ways. What does the NRL do in this region other than sign NZ juniors and give them a Kangaroo shirt?

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm not against the growth of international footy. But this thread is about the ARLC. I'm against the ARLC making international footy it's priority when 1st grade NRL footy is the most important kind of rugby league in this country. Australia. The country the ARLC is in charge of it.

International footy and it's growth is the job of the RLIF, not the ARLC.

On my Facebook NOONE mentioned the Australia v New Zealand test or City v country. For 10 days I didn't hear anyone speak about rugby league. Every other week there is constant footy banter because the footy people care most about is playing.

Focusing on that and maximising it is the ARLCs job.

next you'll be wanting the NRL premiers to be called World Champions ala NFL and SOO origin winners world series champions like Baseball!

Some things they could do:

Give NZTV money to the NZRL minus the cost of having Warriors in the league, promote the game in Wellington and Christchurch by scheduling regular NRL fixtures there and make a decision for an expansion club in one of those cities in 2020

Support a PNG team in Q'land cup and work proactively with the Govt to sort out the working visa issue for PNG players. Hold a PNG RL scouting camp for PNG's best jnrs every year etc, fund PNG rep teams to tour Australia

Be a strpnger advocate for the Int game through the RLIF and schedule regular tests and series home and away

Promote the Kanagroo brand better, I wonder how many Australians know who the Kangaroos captain is compared to say Cricket or RU capt's?

International RL has far more potential to take our game to a level than club footy ever will.

Last edited:

_Johnsy

Referee
ECT

I take it no-one can point out what the charter of the IRLF actually is, if so they are arguing against the ARLC making additional contributions to the international game. I have simply, and factually pointed out that there is an internationally appointed body (The IRLF) who is chartered with and responsible for the running of the game at an international level.

I have also pointed out a couple of other things. i.e., the option of giving additional nations a place on the board, and therefor having a more proactive role in the running the game internationally. Not just continuing to perpetuate the mindset of "The Aussies should be doing more for the international game".

If you cannot read or just want to continue to assume that I am against the ARLC making additional efforts to grow the international game, who am i to disagree. Carry on.

ECT

I take it no-one can point out what the charter of the IRLF actually is, if so they are arguing against the ARLC making additional contributions to the international game. I have simply, and factually pointed out that there is an internationally appointed body (The IRLF) who is chartered with and responsible for the running of the game at an international level.

I have also pointed out a couple of other things. i.e., the option of giving additional nations a place on the board, and therefor having a more proactive role in the running the game internationally. Not just continuing to perpetuate the mindset of "The Aussies should be doing more for the international game".

If you cannot read or just want to continue to assume that I am against the ARLC making additional efforts to grow the international game, who am i to disagree. Carry on.
Firstly, it's called the RLIF.
Secondly, the ARLC is the RLIF, in part. It is a constituent body, and clearly the most powerful of the members. Therefore it is responsible for the development of international rugby league. If it is not then it needs to stand down from the RLIF altogether.

magpie_man

Juniors
What would hold more interest for the sports fans of the USA and Russia. A Rugby League International between them 2 countries, or a game between Souths and Dragons ?
What would hold more interest for the sports fans of China and India. A Rugby League International between them countries or a game between 2 Australian states ?
What is the best way to develop Rugby League into a worldwide game. NRL clubs playing one another or Internationals between Countries ?

These are the same sports fans who rock around wearing Manchester united and Barcelona shirts yeah?
i think the importance of internationals is overstated; a strong club competition delivering high quality football, featuring the best rugby players in the world week-in week-out is much more beneficial to the game, the rest will grow from there.

_Johnsy

Referee
Rugby League.

One of the primary objectives of the ARLC is to ;
liaise with the Rugby League International Federation Limited and organisations controlling the game in other countries in the fostering and control of the game of Rugby League throughout the world.

So if you think that the ARLC is the RLIF in any way shape or form, you are delusional.

Do they have a common interest in the betterment of rugby league and financial interest ? Bloody oath.

So exactly where does this "issue" that the ARLC will be neglecting the international game come from ?

_Johnsy

Referee
Scott CARTER - Chairman (NZ)
Richard LEWIS - Deputy Chairman (GB)
David GALLOP - Member of the Executive (Aus)
John NUMAPO - Member of the Executive (PNG)
Nicholas LARRAT - Member of the Executive (FR)
Andrew HILL- Secreaty (Aus)

GALLOP or HILL do not have a position on the ARLC board.

structure.png

I am sure Gary Pemberton, Peter Gregg, Catherine Harris, Jeremy Sutcliffe, John Grant, Ian Elliot, Chris Sarra and Wayne Pearce will liaise with the RLIF to assist in growing the game internationally.

That is the RLIF board ellected before the ARLC was formed for a start. Secondly John Grant is attending the RLIF meeting so clearly he is very much involved with it otherwise he would have no right to even be there. Without its constituent members the RLIF ceases to exist. So if the ARLC is a constituent body it is very much responsible for international RL. If you think the ARLC has no responsibility to international football you are delusional. If the clubs have any say in what goes on they will f**k IRL over. You can guarantee that. They've been doing it for years. If the ARLC fails to act independently and in the interestes of the game as a whole it will be a complete failure.

KnightsMan90

Juniors
What would hold more interest for the sports fans of the USA and Russia. A Rugby League International between them 2 countries, or a game between Souths and Dragons ?
What would hold more interest for the sports fans of China and India. A Rugby League International between them countries or a game between 2 Australian states ?
What is the best way to develop Rugby League into a worldwide game. NRL clubs playing one another or Internationals between Countries ?

Well, the same could be asked what would be more interesting for Americans, an international between the USA and Canada or a club game between 2 American clubs e.g New York and Washington.

Would Americans be more interested in more internationals or a club competition.

The best way to develop RL internationally would be for each country developing the game itself at the grassroots level and have a strong system of club competitions, with a professional nation comp at the top.

KnightsMan90

Juniors
I agree but I did specifically say that if the ARLC chooses to continue the NRL's existing policies.

If/when the ARLC does pull in a $1 Billion+ media rights deal, if they're still paying out the chicken feed to development in the pacific region, then obviously the ARLC would not deserve a seat on the RLIF board because they would clearly not have the interest of the international game at heart.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt to see if its merely just the cashflow that causes them to sit on their hands. But as on next year, those excuses will not sit with me at all.

Most teams making losses on a yearly basis, half this country's population having no or little access to the game, the other half needing a major boost in funding, many teams playing out of substandard stadiums, not to mention expansion and increased operating costs.

Glad to see your where your priorities lie.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Most teams making losses on a yearly basis, half this country's population having no or little access to the game, the other half needing a major boost in funding, many teams playing out of substandard stadiums, not to mention expansion and increased operating costs.

Glad to see your where your priorities lie.
This. Improving stadiums in Sydney and handing out Steedens to kids in Darwin should be way way way more of a priority than improving stadiums in PNG and handing out Steedens in Japan.

And instead of the English giving their 'opinion' on the ARLC maybe they should work on their own comp. Anyone who knows anything about the ESL will tell you it is in a very poor state at the moment.

I don't think we're far away from having only one professional rugby league comp on the planet. So consolidating has to be more of a priority than putting the game on FTA in Timbuktu.

Last edited:

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
This. Improving stadiums in Sydney and handing out Steedens to kids in Darwin should be way way way more of a priority than improving stadiums in PNG and handing out Steedens in Japan.

And instead of the English giving their 'opinion' on the ARLC maybe they should work on their own comp. Anyone who knows anything about the ESL will tell you it is in a very poor state at the moment.

I don't think we're far away from having only one professional rugby league comp on the planet. So consolidating has to be more of a priority than putting the game on FTA in Timbuktu.

Yeah that's why the SL is currently at record highs for TV ratings and club attendances :crazy:

That's also why the SL doesn't have the big 4 anymore, the big 4 is now the big 8.

Fair dinkum.

hutch

First Grade
Despite little money the RFL is supporting the growth of the game in Europe in a number of ways. What does the NRL do in this region other than sign NZ juniors and give them a Kangaroo shirt?

No nrl club has ever signed a junior from NZ who has gone onto play for australia. This is a myth!

hutch

First Grade
Noone cares about international footy.

Everyone I talk to in real life is far more interested in Souths v Dragons and Melbourne v Brisbane and Parra v Dogs than bloody England v PNG or some crap like that.

Maybe in Australia, but their are literally millions in png and England who have more interest in this game than every nrl game. Rugby league exists outside of Australia!

There is 1 team outside of 2 states in this country. .

Melbourne and Canberra = 2 teams.

Loudstrat

Coach
Club footy >>>>>>>>> international footy.

There is no such thing as true independence. As long as someone can be chosen to do a job and then fired from that job, there is no real independence.

And if anyone is going to have the power I'm glad it's the clubs.

The strength of the clubs is the most important thing. Maybe in future we won't see ridiculous scheduling like a one off test putting the whole comp on hold for a week.

It's good because no one club has too much power, they have to all pretty much agree to wield influence so that'll be a buffer against the worst decisions.

Better the clubs running the show than News.
The priority of the ARLC should be:
Juniors and junior clubs>>>>>>Rural clubs>>>>>>>>>NRL clubs>>>>>>>

Actually, their priority should be:
Find Sandow's form>>>>>>>>Give GI georgraphy lessons>>>>>>Teach Kearney how to coach>>>>>>>Move Hadley to Antarctica

_Johnsy

Referee
That is the RLIF board ellected before the ARLC was formed for a start. Secondly John Grant is attending the RLIF meeting so clearly he is very much involved with it otherwise he would have no right to even be there. Without its constituent members the RLIF ceases to exist. So if the ARLC is a constituent body it is very much responsible for international RL. If you think the ARLC has no responsibility to international football you are delusional. If the clubs have any say in what goes on they will f**k IRL over. You can guarantee that. They've been doing it for years. If the ARLC fails to act independently and in the interestes of the game as a whole it will be a complete failure.

Mate you seriously need to read what I have written again. I have not once said that the ARLC has nil responsibility to international rugby league. I have stated that the RLIF is the body chartered with running the game internationally, big big difference.

Latest posts