What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Erin Molan’s latest comments

blue bags

First Grade
Pacific Islander footy stars slam Erin Molan for ‘hooka looka mooka hooka fooka’ outburst and urge her to apologise for comments AND ‘ruining the Footy Show’
  • NRL players from the Manly Sea Eagles are on the attack against Erin Molan
  • The 36-year-old put on an accent and said 'hooka looka mooka hooka fooka'
  • Martin Taupau said her comments make a mockery of Pasifika players in the NRL
  • While Prop Addin Fonua-Blake called for an apology for 'ruining the Footy Show'
By LOUISE AYLING and ZOE ZACZEK FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

PUBLISHED: 14:50 AEST, 6 June 2020 | UPDATED: 17:37 AEST, 6 June 202
Pacific Islander players have slammed Erin Molan after her bizarre outburst on radio last weekend.

Molan, 36, put on on accent as she said 'hooka looka mooka hooka fooka' during a discussion about how to pronounce players' names before a game on Saturday's 'Continuous Call' football show on 2GB.

The remarks have been widely condemned as disrespectful but the attacks are getting more personal against Molan as players prepare for tonight's match.

+8
29289228-8394055-image-a-9_1591422776939.jpg

The NRL's Pacific Islander players are on the attack against commentator Erin Molan after her bizarre outburst on radio last weekend

Two players from the Manly Sea Eagles have weighed in on the comments, denouncing Molan on social media.

In one comment, Prop Addin Fonua-Blake called Molan a 'gronk'.

'Erin Molan, if you're not going to apologise for making jokes about islander names at least apologise for ruining the Footy Show. Gronk,' he wrote in an Instagram story.

While fellow player Martin Tapau described the incident as 'disgraceful'.

29289234-8394055-image-a-2_1591422745143.jpg

'Erin Molan, if you're not going to apologise for the comments at least apologise for ruining the Footy Show. Gronk,' he wrote in an Instagram story

Erin Molan mocks the names of Pacific Islanders live on radio
'Understandable for our non-Pasifika community attempting to properly announce our names, but to disrespect and make a mockery of former/current Pasifika players in the NRL like how you carried on is DISGRACEFUL!,' Taupau wrote.

'My grandfather would be tossing (and turning) in his grave in anger!'

'Im sorry that our Pasifika family (and you) always have to deal with this kind of 'joke'

Cronulla Sharks Forward Braden Hamlin-Euele also attacked on Molan in an Instagram story.

'An inside joke? Show some respect!,' Hamlin-Uele said.

'If that's a joke between colleagues than F that workplace. Get out of the job @ErinMolan.

29287256-8394055-image-a-11_1591416579950.jpg

NRL star Martin Taupau has described Erin Molan's radio outburst as 'disgraceful' and says it's a mockery of Pasifika players in the NRL

The comments have been described as 'disgraceful' by Footy Star Martin Taupau (pictured) the prop for the Manly Sea Eagles

29289236-8394055-Cronulla_Sharks_Forward_Braden_Hamlin_Euele_also_attacked_on_Mol-a-12_1591422981585.jpg
Cronulla Sharks Forward Braden Hamlin-Euele also attacked on Molan in an Instagram story

'Disgusting to even think that would be ok, to put on an accent and say that. Wake up to yourself.'

Molan has repeatedly claimed the statement was an 'in-joke' between the commentators - despite fellow hosts Darryl Brohman and Mark Levy remaining silent after her comments.

'What? I'm not sure what she said there,' a confused Brohman said about Molan's comments, before Levy quickly moved on to an unrelated topic.

However, Jemaima Tiatia-Seath, the co-head of the University of Auckland's Māori Studies and Pacific Studies department, said Molan's 'hooka looka mooka fooka' jibe should not be excused as a joke.

She said commentators not being able to pronounce the names of Polynesians - who now represent about 45 per cent of players in the National Rugby League competition - was unacceptable.

'It is the role of any commentator to owe respect to a name,' Dr Tiatia-Seath told Daily Mail Australia.

29245954-8390445-image-a-10_1591321055877.jpg

Jemaima Tiatia-Seath (pictured), from the school of Māori Studies and Pacific Studies at the University of Auckland, said Molan's mispronunciation could not be excused as a joke. 'To some ''it was only just a joke, don't take yourself too seriously'' but to us it's a sign of disrespect,' she told Daily Mail Australia
When contacted about the audio on Thursday, Molan said she had 'no idea' why no-one laughed, and suggested they were distracted by the busy studio.

Both Nine Entertainment, owner of 2GB, and Molan herself said she was referencing a story Brohman told on an April 5 broadcast, about a debate between father and son commentators, Ray and Chris Warren.

The pair were debating how to pronounce the name of reserve Manly forward of Tongan decent, Haumole Olakau'atu.

'His name had about 30 letters in it and I had trouble pronouncing it so I asked Chris 'how do you pronounce this bloke's name?' Brohman said.

'He said 'well dad and I have been discussing this today... and dad thought his name was Chuka-lala-lulu.

'And I said, 'well, dad, I think it's Chuka-lala-lulu-lulu, and he says, Chris, that's incorrect - it's Chukaka-lulalulalo'.

The story continued along those with the names getting increasingly complicated until Brohman suggested 'let's just call him Sevi'.

Brohman relayed the story in a voice that mocked the speech of both Ray and Chris Warren, which Molan said she imitated on Saturday.

He appeared to be exaggerating a serious discussion between the Warrens for comedic value and not recounting it word for word.
On Saturday, Levy said Warren would 'run through all the pronunciations' of players before Saturday night's match.
Molan then interjected by twice saying 'Dad!' in a strange voice, before launching into the nonsensical phrase.

Nine told Daily Mail Australia any perceived racial insensitivity was a misunderstanding as Molan was just referencing a story regular listeners would be familiar with.

Forty-five per cent of NRL players have Pacific Island heritage, swelling from 30 per cent in 2011.

League players come from 116 different countries, and have family ties to 145 through their parents and grandparents.
Molan said she had 'no idea' why no-one laughed, and suggested they were distracted by the busy studio
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...n-Molan-hooka-mooka-looka-hooka-outburst.html

Spot On

Coach
Amazing how many people on the 'I hate Erin Molan' bandwagon had no idea what this story was about or what her involvement really was. Some fools wanted her sacked FFS.

Defamation proceedings look like proceeding against The Daily Mail.

As for the fools from Manly and other clubs who also jumped on the bandwagon without bothering to get the full story... well, Adin has shown that people in glass houses should never throw stones after this weekend.

Purposely using the word he used in an attempt to directly humiliate and insult someone is simply not acceptable. Bit of a 'gronk' act tbh.

Maybe those who jumped on the Molan bandwagon will do the same now re Fanua Blake???

Oh, how the world works sometimes.

Spot On

Coach
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/fo...stic-during-second-spray-20200707-p559pn.html

Well, well, well.

From calling people 'gronks' to 're#ards' to 'spastics'.

Hmmm. Wonder if those who have come before us would have been impressed with that type of behaviour and 'labelling' or would they have been turning over in their grave???

If it is true he went on in the tunnel and calked the ref a spastic, then he needs a long, long suspension.

THE CHAMP

First Grade
A couple of thoughts here....

What Erin said wasn't funny but it certainly wasn't racist either. We take the piss out of all sorts of names from all cultures. Wayne King, Mike Hunt anyone?

Secondly, on the name pronunciation thing, we need to get over this. Yes, pronounce names as best you can giving due respect to the person but you can't expect everyone to learn the subtle vowel and consonant pronunciation from every language in the world. I'm regularly in South America and they pronounce my name the way it would be read if it were a Spanish or Portuguese name/word and I certainly don't take offense to it and demand that they learn to pronounce my name correctly. It is what it is.

When’s the next shipment due?

Spot On

Coach
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-...r-criticism-of-presenter-20200718-p55dbv.html

Poor Marty will have a hissy fit again. I missed his condemnation of his front row partner's abuse of the referee and insults to those suffering with mental and physical disabilities, so feel free to post them here.

No doubt, those who have gone before Marty would be incredibly disappointed by Fonua-Blake to 'disrespect and make a mockery' of people with mental and physical challenges.

Last edited:

lucablight

First Grade
Gus was talking about how the Panthers will easily beat the Cowboys today on the footy show and Erin Molan basically told him off and said he was meant to promote the game so that the audience would be left wondering about what the result would be. That really irked me. That’s basically saying he should lie about what he really thinks to try and create hype for channel 9.

Spot On

Coach
Told him off? I didn't see this. How offended was Gus? Did he tear strips off her? Will it make front page news? Will it effect those who have come before us, have them turning over in graves?

blue bags

First Grade
Western Force
Starting XV: 1.Harrison LLOYD, 2.Heath TESSMANN, 3.Tom SHEMINANT, 4.Johan BARDOUL, 5.Fergus LEE WARNER, 6.Henry STOWERS, 7.Chris ALCOCK, 8.Tevin FERRIS, 9.Issak FINES, 10.AJ ALATIMU, 11.Clay UYEN, 12.Henry TAEFU, 13.Marcel BRACHE (C), 14.Masivesi DAKUWAQA, 15.Jack MCGREGOR

Replacements: 16.Feleti KAITU’U, 17.Markus VANZATI, 18.Kieran LONGBOTTOM, 19.Leon POWER, 20.Brynard STANDER, 21.Rory O’SULLIVAN, 22.Andrew DEEGAN, 23.Rod DAVIES

Kagifa Samoa
1.Misioka TIMOTEO, 2.Frank MALU, 3.Ausetalia VAIOMANU, 4.Michael MCKEE, 5.Callum ADAMS, 6.Dylan LAM, 7.Caleb FAALILI, 8.Otenili MOALA, 9.Leon f**kOf**kA (C), 10.Latiume FOSITA, 11.David FELIUAI, 12. Pakisonasi AFU, 13.Tino MAFOE, 14.Ah Mu TUIMALEALIIFANO, 15.Kalione HALA

Replacements: 16.Gafatasi SU’A, 17.Mark ROYAL, 18.Samuel AIONO, 19.Sione TUIPULOTU, 20.Laga FASAVALU, 21.JP SAUNI, 22.Maui HAUSIA, 23.Tim SIPPEL

as you can see some islander names can be very difficult to pronounce

Nealo 12

Bench
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-...r-criticism-of-presenter-20200718-p55dbv.html

Poor Marty will have a hissy fit again. I missed his condemnation of his front row partner's abuse of the referee and insults to those suffering with mental and physical disabilities, so feel free to post them here.

No doubt, those who have gone before Marty would be incredibly disappointed by Fonua-Blake to 'disrespect and make a mockery' of people with mental and physical challenges.
I agree these guys need to do what they get payed to do.
They are not smart enough to comment on much else .

Latest posts