What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Everyone Has Their Price...Bennett to Knights

kmav23

Juniors
Bennett has talked about loyalty etc to players before...not chasing the most money...and staying at the club for less

BS :crazy:

he will end up at the knights for $$$$$$$$$$$

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...and-knights-tipped-to-win-20110410-1d9f4.html

It was revealed on Friday that Bennett had cut the other club that was chasing him - Brisbane - out of the race. He said at the time that he was yet to make a decision on his future.
The Herald understands that Bennett did not want to reveal his decision until after the club he had chosen had completed its commitments in the weekend round because he did not want the publicity to distract the players from their jobs. Souths lost to Wests Tigers on Friday night, but Newcastle don't play until tonight - against Brisbane at Suncorp Stadium.
Bennett is expected to announce his future either tomorrow or Wednesday, and the strong mail last night was for the Knights.
Asked whether he had been bothered by the speculation about his future, which went into overdrive at the weekend, Bennett replied: ''Well, I don't write it and I don't read it, so how does it impact on me? It doesn't. It's my decision. I mean, you know, if you all stop trying to tell me what I should be doing and what I'm supposed to be doing, then I might make it a lot quicker.''
Since it became clear the Broncos, whom Bennett coached to six premierships before taking the Dragons to last year's title, were no longer a chance of getting him back, the battle for his future quickly settled down into a fascinating one between the Knights, owned by mining magnate Nathan Tinkler, and the Rabbitohs, whose co-owner is Oscar-winning actor Russell Crowe.
In terms of attraction, it is a case of the unlimited financial resources of the Knights, since the club's members voted to hand ownership to Tinkler last month, against the romance of the most famous club in the competition, the Rabbitohs. Bennett couldn't lose either way, and would get the chance to become the first coach to win premierships at three clubs no matter what.
The challenge of coaching either side is similar. Both teams have playing rosters that would give Bennett the potential to achieve, with some tinkering here and there.
Although the offer from Souths is rumoured to be $1 million a year, even a club backed by the wealthy Crowe can't compete with Tinkler when it comes to financial strength. Stories in yesterday's media had Newcastle's offer to Bennett being worth up to $2 million a year, including bonuses. But there are other factors that make the Knights attractive to someone like him.
Bennett has enjoyed living in Wollongong while he has coached the Dragons, and a move to Newcastle would put him in a similar position outside Sydney - only closer to Brisbane. And he would be able to use Tinkler's private jet to either visit his family or have them come down from Brisbane to visit.
The other factor is that Bennett is impressed by people like Tinkler, whom he sees as someone with the ability to get things done, and is prepared to put his money, faith and passion into the game, similar to people like Paul ''Porky'' Morgan, one of the four original owners of the Broncos, and ad man John Singleton.
The Herald revealed last Monday that Bennett had given Tinkler's involvement with the Knights a resounding stamp of approval. He said at the time: ''They're movers and shakers, they're businessmen, they don't come from a background like most of our people [in the game] come from. His [Tinkler's] reach is in the working class, but obviously he's out there now and he deals with some of the biggest dealers in the country and the world, making deals and selling coalmines … they know how to get a deal done.
''They know how to negotiate, they know how to build something … All those things are good.''
Officials from Newcastle and Souths were tight-lipped yesterday

aqua_duck

Coach
Sure the money is awesome but Tinkler has done a great job sweetening the deal. While Crowe can offer his posh apartment (which doesn't strike me as Bennett's type of crib anyway), Tinkler has offered him money, use of his private jet to see his family, and reportedly offered Ben Ikin a job. What gives Newcastle another advantage is that he can be the private man he wants to be. The last thing Bennet would want is people like Slothfield, Bourban Bec, and Weedler stalking him.
I reckon the knights are paying more than they have to personally but what's an extra mil or 2 for a man like Tinkler? It'd be like us paying an extra $50 bucks to get our car serviced at the good mechanic rather than the shonky lebanese on Canterbury rd

Silent Knight

First Grade
Bennett has talked about loyalty etc to players before...not chasing the most money...and staying at the club for less

You really do love bringing down the NRL don't you Kmav? I don't think I've ever seen you post a story that actually talks up our game.

Do you even support a club? If not, what are you doing here?

Firey_Dragon

Coach

Bennett is hardly a material man, the cash would sure sweeten the deal but he is a man driven by success on the field. Winning 3 premierships at 3 different clubs would be a stronger motivator I think. It was always just going to be a lifestyle choice, something souths doesn't have over newcastle for a man like Bennett.

Noname36

First Grade
Who says he's going to Newcastle for money? (That's even if he goes there)

Apart from the much talked about challenge of finally getting Souths a premiership, everything else points to Newcastle being a better option for him.

- Away from Sydney
- Away from the Sydney media
- Lifestyle similar to the Gong
- He likes the club
- He's said he has a lot of respect for Tinkler
- He thinks the Knights are a quality side, and the best the Dragons have played this year.
- Rugby League mad town
- Some of the best junior talent in the country
- Close to home (or a jet ride away)
- Playing group who have a go (unlike Souths)
- Playing group that actually know how to show respect for their coach (unlike Souths)

perverse

Referee
he also picked our captain as one of his coaches picks for the all-stars game.

just an extra bullet point for ya, Noname. not that you need help by the looks. lol. i agree, the "challenge" at Souths is the only thing they have going for them over us. we tick many more boxes. still won't believe it 'til the man himself says it, though.

Shorty

Staff member
I just don't see why he would go there if he was after a challenge.
This isn't a knock on Newcastle, I would say it's the opposite, actually.
Their current coach appears to be doing well there and their young players are really starting to shine through....I think they'll be a force in the next 2 years irregardless of Bennett.

What they need is maybe a better fitness coach, they always seem to be getting stung by bad injuries to a lot of their roster.

perverse

Referee
Their current coach appears to be doing well there and their young players are really starting to shine through....I think they'll be a force in the next 2 years irregardless of Bennett.

What they need is maybe a better fitness coach, they always seem to be getting stung by bad injuries to a lot of their roster.
we've played the full 80 in horrid conditions in our first 2 matches this year (you of all people should know how hot it was up there for our match), we are one of the absolutely fittest, most well prepared team in the comp. we also took the Dragons for the full 80. all of our injuries are impact injuries. you can't train to prevent a broken arm or thumb. the stupid, ridiculous notion that we're poorly conditioned gets rolled out at about this time every year in the Knights forum, and it is a compeltely fallacy. i re-iterate, you cannot train to prevent the injuries we receive, in the vast majority they are impact injuries and unavoidable. just unlucky year after year.

we are absolutely one of the fittest teams in the comp right at the moment, and it has shown on the field in all our games. against Manly we were well and truly bashed and battered and even then, with 12 1/2 men we still competed hard for the full 80.

Shorty

Staff member
I didn't necessarily mean cardiovascular fitness, Perverse, but as I said it always appears that Newcastle is a club hit by a number of serious injuries every year.
Perhaps it's just luck?

cleary89

Coach
Bennett is hardly a material man, the cash would sure sweeten the deal but he is a man driven by success on the field. Winning 3 premierships at 3 different clubs would be a stronger motivator I think. It was always just going to be a lifestyle choice, something souths doesn't have over newcastle for a man like Bennett.

I don't reckon.... Imo loves the money. Fair enough though. But obviously money isn't everything. Wants to pick his roster, his coaching staff etc. Even if Rusty offered 3m he wouldnt go work with that overrated roster and idiotic coaching staff.

gUt

Coach
So what if it was all about the money? He needs to have enough put away so that when he's dead, his son can be looked after. I'd like to see any of us knock back a payday like this.

perverse

Referee
I didn't necessarily mean cardiovascular fitness, Perverse, but as I said it always appears that Newcastle is a club hit by a number of serious injuries every year.
Perhaps it's just luck?
if you have training methods that turn bones and ligaments into titanium then i would deeply appreciate it if you filled my club in.

year after year we are certainly left searching for answers in the Knights forum, but there really arn't any. sometimes you just have a good run with injuries, sometimes you don't. on the bright side, we're hoping that all our big injuries have come early in the year for us this year, and we can ride a big surge of players coming back and a very busy home game schedule into a possible finals berth.

Shorty

Staff member
if you have training methods that turn bones and ligaments into titanium then i would deeply appreciate it if you filled my club in.

year after year we are certainly left searching for answers in the Knights forum, but there really arn't any. sometimes you just have a good run with injuries, sometimes you don't. on the bright side, we're hoping that all our big injuries have come early in the year for us this year, and we can ride a big surge of players coming back and a very busy home game schedule into a possible finals berth.
Whoa I hit something here?
I think that the Knights play a very speedy brand of football that attracts this kind of injury, if you look at similar teams they get stung with injuries too, like the Tigers..although they've been better in recent years.

Mind you this style changes if Bennett comes, so who knows...but I think they'll make the finals this year, anyhow.

Noname36

First Grade
I do see Shorty's point. It's pretty well known that the fitter you are, the less likely you are to pick up an injury.

However I don't think that would have helped in this situation. The players are all very fit, and all of the injuries have been from freak impact (i.e. Costigan's arm getting smashed by Petro).

Billythekid

First Grade
Personally i think there will be way too much pressure on the club he goes to and i don't think they will win a premiership with him.

Again as has been said many times before what makes you think he wants a challenge?

If he truly wanted a challenge he would have went to one of the many struggling clubs not the dragons.

perverse

Referee
Whoa I hit something here?
I think that the Knights play a very speedy brand of football that attracts this kind of injury, if you look at similar teams they get stung with injuries too, like the Tigers..although they've been better in recent years.

Mind you this style changes if Bennett comes, so who knows...but I think they'll make the finals this year, anyhow.
our play style might have something to do with it. i could buy into that theory. we like to spread the ball and get a lot of lateral movement happening in the opposition defence.

as Noname said though, ultimately injuries like Costigans and De Gois' can't really be prevented, they're just going to happen when they're going to happen. i don't know much about what happened to Beaus ankle, maybe that could have been prevented, but i doubt it. detail has been very scant on his injury.

Who says he's going to Newcastle for money? (That's even if he goes there)

Apart from the much talked about challenge of finally getting Souths a premiership, everything else points to Newcastle being a better option for him.

- Away from Sydney
- Away from the Sydney media
- Lifestyle similar to the Gong
- He likes the club
- He's said he has a lot of respect for Tinkler
- He thinks the Knights are a quality side, and the best the Dragons have played this year.
- Rugby League mad town
- Some of the best junior talent in the country
- Close to home (or a jet ride away)
- Playing group who have a go (unlike Souths)
- Playing group that actually know how to show respect for their coach (unlike Souths)

+ Room to move under the cap we can afford 3-4 top line players, Souffs can afford to get Jaiman Lowe back lol.

Shorty

Staff member
Personally i think there will be way too much pressure on the club he goes to and i don't think they will win a premiership with him.

Again as has been said many times before what makes you think he wants a challenge?

If he truly wanted a challenge he would have went to one of the many struggling clubs not the dragons.
I suppose I've heard it said somewhere before, but he would have to have a reason in there somewhere if he's leaving St George?

our play style might have something to do with it. i could buy into that theory. we like to spread the ball and get a lot of lateral movement happening in the opposition defence.

as Noname said though, ultimately injuries like Costigans and De Gois' can't really be prevented, they're just going to happen when they're going to happen. i don't know much about what happened to Beaus ankle, maybe that could have been prevented, but i doubt it. detail has been very scant on his injury.
I really was being serious with luck, I can still remember one of the Knight's having an awful ankle injury, I think it was Cameron Ciraldo?

kmav23

Juniors
My problem is not accepting for more money ... its him telling players at broncos to stay for less money for loyalty etc... !!!!!

Bennett in hot water

December 16, 2007

BRISBANE legend Steve Renouf believes Broncos coach Wayne Bennett's standing at the club has been eroded after he accepted six-figure handouts from coal king Ken Talbot.

The former Test centre called on Bennett to explain to the Brisbane squad the payments from Talbot, who is fighting corruption charges.

Bennett last week confirmed to The Sunday Telegraph that he had been receiving payments from Talbot since 2004 but had only told Broncos chief executive officer Bruno Cullen early this year. He declined to add further comment.

Renouf's stance came as The Sunday Telegraph discovered a posse of Broncos greats sacrificed more than $3 million collectively in career earnings out of loyalty to Bennett.

One of the contingent, former Brisbane skipper Gorden Tallis, gave up $2.1 million after rejecting a seven-year offer from a rival club worth $750,000 a season.

Renouf believes Broncos players coming off contract in the future would be reluctant to make financial sacrifices in the knowledge Bennett was receiving lucrative handouts from one of Queensland's wealthiest miners.

"They can't use the loyalty line any more, especially Wayne," Renouf said.

"I don't know if there's anyone at the Broncos due to sign a new deal, but they have some bargaining power now.

"At the end of the day, Wayne has done nothing illegal and if he's got a bloke generous enough to help him out, good luck to him.

"But I think this will make negotiations from the Broncos' point of view a bit tougher.

"Wayne was always a big part of our negotiations to stay for less, so I guess some players have a right to be upset."

Tallis refused to comment publicly but confirmed he received a massive $750,000-a-season offer from a Super League club in 1997. He accepted $450,000 a season to stay at Brisbane after a heart-to-heart with Bennett, costing the back-rower $300,000 annually over seven seasons.

In 2002, Petero Civoniceva was 24 hours away from signing a three-year deal with the Cowboys. The base deal was $300,000, excluding bonuses should he break into rep football.

Civoniceva has claimed he stayed at Red Hill for $150,000 after a call from Bennett, who spoke of the merits of being a one-club man.