What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Everyone Has Their Price...Bennett to Knights

BunniesMan

Immortal
Firstly, have we not learnt our lesson about believing what the media says? For all we know this could make him change his mind again, and that's if it's true in the first place which isn't a guarantee given the medias track record.

Secondly, assuming it is true, I don't blame him for taking the money. It's reportedly a ridiculous amount few sane men could resist. He does have a son who will need a lifetime of care after Bennett dies and financing that is something he has to think about.

BUT I wish he didn't give us the BS about it being about the challenge and not the money. Relative to the other contenders, there is nothing challenging about going to the Knights. They've won twice in the last 14 years (only 1 other club has done that legally). They have the richest man in rugby league now.

If he was truly after a challenge he'd go to Souths...or Cowboys...or Warriors...or Raiders...or Panthers...or Eels.

He has every right to chase the money, like anyone else does, I just wish he didn't feed us the BS at that press conference.

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
not sure, have you?
So it's ok for everyone else but me to call things based on newspaper articles. But if I do it it's a crime.

There is no difference between what I did earlier and what every person is doing who now says he's going to the Knights.

Noname36

First Grade
Umm...I don't think anyone here has said he's going to Newcastle for sure (apart from the dumbass OP).

Merely pointing out Newcastle has a lot more to entice Bennett than just money.

After the way we played on Friday night, I think it's plain to see there is no bigger challenge in Rugby League than to get Souths to another premiership.

Clearly, the bulk of our roster is talented, however they are also lazy, undisciplined and just plain dumb to boot.

I have my doubts that even the great Man Bennett could turn this ship around at the moment but I'd love to see him try. If he really wants a challenge, then Souths are the team for him.

perverse

Referee
the bulk of your top 17 is talented, i don't know about the bulk of your roster in general. your depth hasn't shown much cause for optimism.

BunniesMan

Immortal
We have depth. But players who aren't regular first 17 have to be used in a smart way. You simply can't put in a 3rd string forward pack together. If a couple of them played with 2 of Asotasi/Stuart/Burgess/Taylor at any one time they would have been a lot of better.

George Burgess and James Roberts are two superstars in the making, I'm hoping they both debut sometime this year. IMO Roberts should be playing now instead of Wesser.

So we have plenty of talent in and out of our first 17. With a bunch of extremely talented teenagers waiting for their go.

But all the talent in the world doesn't do much if your coach doesn't use it properly. That's why getting Bennett would mean so much for the team.

the bulk of your top 17 is talented, i don't know about the bulk of your roster in general. your depth hasn't shown much cause for optimism.

I disagree.

Guys like Tyrrell, Morgan and McQueen have performed quite well when given the opportunity.

They have been a little inconsistent, but they have shown that they are at least capable of standing up to first grade which is basically what you are after from your back ups and development players.

If they have struggled at all, I think it is because, like Friday night, they have been expected to do too much while the "big guns" have been sitting on the bike.

silverfox

Juniors
bennett wont got to a club where there are standout superstars and fowards who are paid too much for only giving 40-50mins a game. He told st george not to resign ryles. Newcastle look more like st george did when he came. Not a basket case like souths are. He would need a 5 year deal to make a difference, he only wants 3

kmav23

Juniors
souths are not a challenge they have star players... they just need a decent coach and halves..

cronulla are a challenge

BunniesMan

Immortal
bennett wont got to a club where there are standout superstars and fowards who are paid too much for only giving 40-50mins a game. He told st george not to resign ryles. Newcastle look more like st george did when he came. Not a basket case like souths are. He would need a 5 year deal to make a difference, he only wants 3
BS. That's why they're throwing gazillions at Idris, Snowden etc. They want superstars as much as anyone else.

Cletus

First Grade
So what if it was all about the money? He needs to have enough put away so that when he's dead, his son can be looked after. I'd like to see any of us knock back a payday like this.

Yep it's a huge fear for parents with disabled kids, he can set his son up for life with this deal. People said that he'd go back to Brisbane to be with his family, well if you ask me he's taking the huge dollars in Newcastle for his kid.

Evenflow

Bench
So it's ok for everyone else but me to call things based on newspaper articles. But if I do it it's a crime.

There is no difference between what I did earlier and what every person is doing who now says he's going to the Knights.

Stop speaking sh*t. The difference is when an article suits your agenda with a direct quote or otherwise you take it as gospel, but when it goes against your agenda you can't dismiss it quick enough and put it down to paper talk crap.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Stop speaking sh*t. The difference is when an article suits your agenda with a direct quote or otherwise you take it as gospel, but when it goes against your agenda you can't dismiss it quick enough and put it down to paper talk crap.
You mean like the people who dismissed the Bennett-Souths articles but then jumped on the Broncos bandwagon, and as soon as that crashed they jumped on the Knights?

So many people are being hypocritical by calling me hypocritical.

Red Bear

Referee
souths are not a challenge they have star players... they just need a decent coach and halves..

cronulla are a challenge
They're also the most successful club in history, premierships wise, who havent won a competition in 40 years. There's a bit of a challenge right there which would entice certain personalities to the club.

Not sure which way Bennett will go, either side presents a pretty good challenge for someone as motivated as him, although Newcastle certainly appear to be favourites.

perverse

Referee
DKOR - we'll have to agree to disagree, then. all i know is, the Knights have a top squad of 33 strong, and i have confidence in every single one of them bar Shannon McDonnell to do exactly what they need to to win us a footy match if they are called upon, and i have extreme confidence in blokes like Ethan Cook (future star) in our NYC to step up in a pinch, too. i'd say 90% of the top squad have genuine first grade experience... with maybe 2 or 3 yet to debut. if you can say the same about your squad, then power to you, but i personally can't say the same about your squad. we'll have to agree to disagree about your depth i guess, i was probably thinking more relative to my own team and others around the comp. when you've got 2 blokes like Zeb Taia and Neville Costigan injured, and you can still name a back row of

11. Houston
12. Paterson
13. Hilder

you are doing pretty good on the depth. the only position we don't have stupid depth in is front row. that is Brian Smiths legacy to the Knights, depth.

Last edited:

Firey_Dragon

Coach

cronulla are a challenge

Souths are a much bigger challenge than the Knights. Their roster is terribly unbalanced, it'd take years to regain that balance. Get an injury and they're screwed. Newcastle may not have as much individual talent, but it is far more balanced and they have depth. Just like we were when Bennett took over. I would even say Cronulla are less of a challenge than Souths.... They have a better forward pack that would be on half the coin and most of them can be 80 minute players... They probably have better halves too. It's only the 3/4 line that is poor and the depth may be an issue.

Last edited:

Firey_Dragon

Coach
BS. That's why they're throwing gazillions at Idris, Snowden etc. They want superstars as much as anyone else.

Are you privy to their offers? Who is to say if Bennett signs on the dotted line that those offers will even still be on the table?

aqua_duck

Coach
Just to illustrate Perverse's point, we're coming 2nd in NSW cup, equal 2nd in NYC, equal 1st in SG Ball and 4th in Mathews