What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Everyone needs to remain calm!!!!

GT0007

Juniors
Hear what you're saying and I totally agree. But marking your man and defending in a line is schoolboy stuff, if they haven't mastered it by now, they never will.

First Grade players know how to defend, the difference between the good defensive teams and the rest is fitness and commitment to each other. We had that in spades during the Bennett years and it's somewhat lacking with the current team.

They arent defending as a team, defence has as much structure as attack and everyone has to play their part as a unit. When you have players coming from other clubs they have been coached differently some old habits may creep in but in my view they let themselves down with the fundamentals like getting off your tryline, line speed in general and letting too many offloads happen while having 3 players in the tackle. I had the opinion Bronco's were leaving too early but I saw the press conference where Price was concerned that they were only take back 7 or 8mtrs which also makes sense, all I know is they got to us quick. Sometimes players just need to be reminded of their job or shown what they did wrong. Thats why we have a coach

Redvpassion

Juniors
Cowboys have the biggest pack, the best player in the world in thurston and some classy backs and they can't win game let alone score points. So I think we are fine fellas.

ggould

Juniors
Goal line defence is pathetic soft tries against Tigers twice and soft tries against Broncos on two occasions as well!! Sths will just play up the middle and run the Burgess boys when close to the try line!!! That worries me big time not only because of tries being scored but this is exactly how Dugan got injured in the charity shield trying to stop Burgess close to the line!! We are playing really good footy with the ball no doubt!! But in Defense its pretty soft which undoing all the good stuff!!! Witt needs to be the half and Quinlen on the bench. Kyle needs game time with the cutters we will need him later in the season!!!

GT0007

Juniors
Goal line defence is pathetic soft tries against Tigers twice and soft tries against Broncos on two occasions as well!! Sths will just play up the middle and run the Burgess boys when close to the try line!!! That worries me big time not only because of tries being scored but this is exactly how Dugan got injured in the charity shield trying to stop Burgess close to the line!! We are playing really good footy with the ball no doubt!! But in Defense its pretty soft which undoing all the good stuff!!! Witt needs to be the half and Quinlen on the bench. Kyle needs game time with the cutters we will need him later in the season!!!

I agree but I think we need to observe a process which is to rule Williams out if he's not up to it. Williams is playing well except for a cpl of brain explosions last week and 2 dropped balls the previous week. If he doesn't cut it this week then he has to go to the cutters til he finds some consistency. If Witt's performance against the Tigers is what he has to offer I'm happy with that as long as Quilan gets 15mins per half off the bench. I don't see the benefit of having any player on the bench that u only use for 15mins a match. Kyle I'm sure will go to the Cutters this week as his lose passes from DH are not good, also everyone has mentioned Merrins pass to no one but Kyle was not only not in position but looking the other way which has happened twice. Merrin quite reasonable expected the DH to be on the ball. I think Kyle is a very good footballer but needs more game time to find his mojo as potential isn't helping us.

I bloody am calm !!!! .....so shut the f**k up !!!!!!!!!
It's all under control and going exactly to plan!!!!!!!!!!
I'm confident and mellow!!!!

....f**ken mellow!!!!!!!!!

big pat

Coach
this idiot from the broncos, kept yelling out from about the 20 min mark, the broncos own wollongong stadium, i thought for a breif momment in the 2nd half, we might mount a comeback, but that was short lived, alas it was very hard to stay calm.

Dezziedc

Juniors
I agree but I think we need to observe a process which is to rule Williams out if he's not up to it. Williams is playing well except for a cpl of brain explosions last week and 2 dropped balls the previous week. If he doesn't cut it this week then he has to go to the cutters til he finds some consistency. If Witt's performance against the Tigers is what he has to offer I'm happy with that as long as Quilan gets 15mins per half off the bench. I don't see the benefit of having any player on the bench that u only use for 15mins a match. Kyle I'm sure will go to the Cutters this week as his lose passes from DH are not good, also everyone has mentioned Merrins pass to no one but Kyle was not only not in position but looking the other way which has happened twice. Merrin quite reasonable expected the DH to be on the ball. I think Kyle is a very good footballer but needs more game time to find his mojo as potential isn't helping us.

Glad someone else noticed it. I was thinking "Kyle, turn around!!! Mez is about to pass the ball to you!!!" And sure enough, there it goes while Kyle is looking around. Surely they know now that Mez is going to try and offload every chance he gets. Hell even the Broncos knew that!!!

Yes, loosing to the Brisbane Drongos was hard to cop alright, but I'm not ready to slit my wrists just yet.

The NRL web site says the Drongos missed 38 tackles to our 19 in that match.

I honestly think our attack is coming good. If we can tighten up our defence, we could be a real surprise package this year.

I also think we can beat Souffs on the weekend.

possm

Coach
Yes, loosing to the Brisbane Drongos was hard to cop alright, but I'm not ready to slit my wrists just yet.

The NRL web site says the Drongos missed 38 tackles to our 19 in that match.

I honestly think our attack is coming good. If we can tighten up our defence, we could be a real surprise package this year.

I also think we can beat Souffs on the weekend.

So who in our coaching staff is 'accountable' for the teams defence?

Godz Illa

Coach
There are good signs there. You're going to get some silly play in attack when you play the way we're trying to.

Defensively speaking, it's a team of new faces and a fair bit of inexperience. Difficult to expect them to be a tight defensive unit so soon.

gonz

Juniors
There are good signs there. You're going to get some silly play in attack when you play the way we're trying to.

Defensively speaking, it's a team of new faces and a fair bit of inexperience. Difficult to expect them to be a tight defensive unit so soon.

Not difficult to show attitude on your line

Cagey Mac

Bench
Not difficult to show attitude on your line

I'd put it down to bad reads more than attitude but perhaps lack of confidence in new team mates is also a strong factor. This would explain the high rate of dummy purchasing by some of our experienced guys.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
At the end of the day the Bronco's scored 6 tries to the Dragons 4. 2 of those tries were in the fist 10 mins. Bad start to the games which is common in the last couple of years.

But at least they lost playing some good attractive footy not that drab boring crap like last couple of years. They are finaly entertaining to watch. Credit goes to Mary McGregor and Widdop.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Funny how people are calling for Witt to play half ahead of Williams. When he was selected in round 1 some people wanted to kill Price for this selection.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Funny how people are calling for Witt to play half ahead of Williams. When he was selected in round 1 some people wanted to kill Price for this selection.

Some did but I doubt that they're the same one's calling for Witt's inclusion.
My beef with initial selection was the lack of Props on the bench
Frizell surprised me there and so did Price for that matter.
Thompson's role was also of concern but he seems to have got that right.
It's pretty hard to be wrong all the time :lol:

Dezziedc

Juniors
So who in our coaching staff is 'accountable' for the teams defence?

Thats what I asked you the other day possm. In one post you said Price was responsible for it and in another you said Young.

I find it hard to understand what Young could possibly be drilling the forwards with if he didn't include defense. Fitness? Ball skills? Not likely. I'd say he would have to have some input (if not complete control) into the defensive structures of the team - at least the forwards.

Irrespective, as Price said in the press conference, the team needs to work as a collective unit. At the moment defensively they aren't. They are still trying to iron out their defensive combinations and they are not working for each other 100% of the time. As others have said on this forum, that is definitely fixable.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Thats what I asked you the other day possm. In one post you said Price was responsible for it and in another you said Young.

I find it hard to understand what Young could possibly be drilling the forwards with if he didn't include defense. Fitness? Ball skills? Not likely. I'd say he would have to have some input (if not complete control) into the defensive structures of the team - at least the forwards.

Irrespective, as Price said in the press conference, the team needs to work as a collective unit. At the moment defensively they aren't. They are still trying to iron out their defensive combinations and they are not working for each other 100% of the time. As others have said on this forum, that is definitely fixable.

Lack of confidence and familiarity with defensive partners IMO
Lots of falling over too from misreads

Latest posts