What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EVERYONE - When did you decide to support the Eels?

WestCoastEel

Juniors
Grew up in the northern suburbs area in the late 70's and 80's and went to most Manly home games (as my dad barracked for them). I didn't want to go for Manly and because their main rivals were Parra I started supporting them.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I was born in Sydney, but at the age of 5 we moved overseas due to a promotion my father received at work. Over the next 11 years we moved fro Holland/The Netherlands, to Chile, to Finland, to Spain and then in 2000 we came back to Australia.

Anyway, my father used to tell me stories of the great Ray Price and how he was so inspiring and tough. He'd then go on to talk about the Eels. I was hooked.

Upon returning to Sydney in 2000 I was pleased to see that my entire family - uncles, aunts and cousins - all followed the Eels. I thought it was so awesome that my entire family followed one team in one sport so I began to follow them, too.

2001 was my first 'official' season I took an interest in the club and the sport as a whole and I have never looked back. I've managed to play the sport and am an avid watcher of it. And I LOVE this club - I'm now the biggest Eels maniac in my family. By far.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I was roped into watching the eels by my next door neighbour who was a massive fan.

first game: V Easts in the 1977 semi final at the SCG where we won 15-5.

first favourite player: Mick Cronin

first jersey: in 1978 I got one with a number 3 on the back.

first autograph: the great Johnny Peard at his sports store in Bondi.

I went to most cumberland oval games between 78 and 81 but also remember going to Brooky, Lidcombe and Leichhardt, it was a magic time and even back then, players did promotional appearences at shopping centres and race courses and always attended those.

Chad

Juniors
My mother was working the "Mr Whippy" snack vans on the hill when it was Cumberland Oval. It was the best child minding service around at that time.

I have told my story in similiar threads previously.

Without going through all the details again, basically I am Stan Jurds love child.

Bigfella

Coach
I got sucked in during during the footy card collecting craze at primary school in 1980 and 1981.

I used to get up early and watch the replay of the Saturday match of the round Sunday mornings. My brother followed Manly but otherwise Ihad no team affinity. I was more interested in the cards than the actual game.

In 1981 the Eels players were some of the most highly sought after. I had developed a good collection after a hot run of those contests where you flicked them with the aim of trying to land them close to the wall.

Something about the Eels cards was magic. I gradually developed a collection, and started getting interested in seeing my most treasuered card characters play.

I was the only one in my school approaching the whole Eels team. I managed to convince myself that if I managed the entire collection they would win the premiership. By now I had them in a scrap book with a description of each player.

I only needed Eric Grothe by the end of the year. He and Bob O'Reilly were considered the hardest to procure. Only one kid at school had Grothe - but he had two. I was the only kid with O'Reilly.

I am ashamed to say that I ended up stealing another O'Reilly from my next door neoghbour, who didn't go to my school. Mainly I am ashamed because he was my best mate, and would certainly have given it to me.

Once I had it in hand, I rang my mate from school. He confirmed he would swap his spare Grothe for my O'Reilly. I couldn't wait for the weekend to pass, so got my mum to take me to his place. The last player was in the scrap book ... and history was made.

Not only was that the season that I became an eels tragic, but the untold story of the real reason the Eels went on to win their first premiership. Traditionalists wrongly credit Jack Gibson with far too much of the credit ...

junior009

Juniors
Had a jersey waiting for me when I was born, I didn't have a choice. Just the same as my two kids. That's just how it works.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
I came to Australia (from the US) in 1986 when I was nine.

I spent a lot of time with family made up of rabid Balmain supporters. I kind of thought that there were only two teams - Balmain and a team that changed their colours every week.

As the year progressed and I began to better understand the game, the Eels really caught my eye. Blokes like Price, Cronin, Kenny and Sterling were exciting to watch and they became my team. I followed them for a few months in the lead up to the grand final (not understanding most of what I was seeing) and celebrated their premiership.

And then things took a turn. Hahaha.

They were still a great team to support, even through the dark ages of the early 90s.

Hindmarsh is my favourite player of all time, while I also currently have a lot of time and affection for Inu and Mateo.

noosa-eel

Juniors
I have been supporting the EELS since 77, I grew up in Cabramatta and Iwent every weekend to watch all 3 grades (something I sorely miss now that I live in QLD) which I moved to in 85 so I was lucky enough to enjoy the 81 82 & 83 grand finals aaahh the good old days............:D

Delboy

First Grade
Formative years spent in Perth, became good frinds with a mad Parra fan. When career brought me to SYdney in 1979 , moved in Hills District and was taken to the old Cumberland Oval ( the Mecca he called it)

First game, Vs Saints at Cumberland Oval sitting on the hill behind the goals, onwards and upwards since then, proud enough to have a son played junior reps and won them.

2 grandsons playing in the Parra comp and managing one of the teams, looking forward to next year big time

Fave player ... Ray Price

muznik

Juniors
1972 Born in Blacktown to a Parra family.

First 11 yrs were in spent in Toongabbie, Seven Hills & Blacktown.
First gig... Ball Boy for Toongabbie, they reckoned i was too young (4) and small to play. Got a start with Blacktown RSL the next year !

Loved Price, The Crow, Guru etc but Sterlo was my Hero !

Have sinced lived in Nth NSW & Gold Coast but never entertained the idea of switching allegiance

yy_cheng

Coach
I was roped into watching the eels by my next door neighbour who was a massive fan.

first game: V Easts in the 1977 semi final at the SCG where we won 15-5.

first favourite player: Mick Cronin

first jersey: in 1978 I got one with a number 3 on the back.

first autograph: the great Johnny Peard at his sports store in Bondi.

I went to most cumberland oval games between 78 and 81 but also remember going to Brooky, Lidcombe and Leichhardt, it was a magic time and even back then, players did promotional appearences at shopping centres and race courses and always attended those.

You do have a striking resemblance to the Crow.......:D

yy_cheng

Coach
I got sucked in during during the footy card collecting craze at primary school in 1980 and 1981.

I used to get up early and watch the replay of the Saturday match of the round Sunday mornings. My brother followed Manly but otherwise Ihad no team affinity. I was more interested in the cards than the actual game.

In 1981 the Eels players were some of the most highly sought after. I had developed a good collection after a hot run of those contests where you flicked them with the aim of trying to land them close to the wall.

Something about the Eels cards was magic. I gradually developed a collection, and started getting interested in seeing my most treasuered card characters play.

I was the only one in my school approaching the whole Eels team. I managed to convince myself that if I managed the entire collection they would win the premiership. By now I had them in a scrap book with a description of each player.

I only needed Eric Grothe by the end of the year. He and Bob O'Reilly were considered the hardest to procure. Only one kid at school had Grothe - but he had two. I was the only kid with O'Reilly.

I am ashamed to say that I ended up stealing another O'Reilly from my next door neoghbour, who didn't go to my school. Mainly I am ashamed because he was my best mate, and would certainly have given it to me.

Once I had it in hand, I rang my mate from school. He confirmed he would swap his spare Grothe for my O'Reilly. I couldn't wait for the weekend to pass, so got my mum to take me to his place. The last player was in the scrap book ... and history was made.

Not only was that the season that I became an eels tragic, but the untold story of the real reason the Eels went on to win their first premiership. Traditionalists wrongly credit Jack Gibson with far too much of the credit ...

I thought you bought the cards for the pink strip of gum.

I too had lots and lots of cards. It was our NDS

rewn

Juniors
Since i was born 1972 , since i can remember 1980 .. the old man played reserve grade, grandmother lived in parramatta

parra pete

Referee
Me, started in 1959 (casually) but became fanatical in 1960 - with Ron Boden as c.c., 1962 the arrival of the mighty Ken Thornett pumped up the intensity...and the rest is history.
Wrote articles for 'Daily Telegraph' from 1962 under the nom de plume of 'Parra Pete' and continued to do so until late 60s (about 1969 from memory).

OH, and it slipped my mind...my god father scored the first Parramatta try..George Cook.

guruminga

Juniors
We lived in Parramatta when I was born in 1978. The site of our house is now the Westfield carpark.
I supported the Eels for as long as I can remember (no small thanks to my older brother 'Haynzy'). Even though I have lived in Darwin (50-50% split between popularity of NRL and AFL) and Adelaide (don't give a stuff about anything other than Crows and Port), I have stayed strong with the Eels. I saw my first ever live Eels game this season - Eels v Warriors at Parra stadium - it was a long time coming.

I would love to have seen more games in my time, but that has been largely out of my control. I do however hope to see more games in the future.

For the moment though I have to settle for either recording the channel nine games or staying up till after midnight to watch them. If that's what I have to do, then so be it.

Go Parra!

Raudonikis

Juniors
This thread has been done before.As my nic here suggests i grew up following the magpies,when they were punted i said to my 2 daughters,ok you choose who we follow now,cos i had dragged them to wests bad years,but they loved it,getting all dressed up.So then we started coming to parra and it was easy to grow to love the eels to.I also played for wenty in juniors so it was an easy transition.
I used to love the old days when wests played parra in the late 70s early 80s

jono

Juniors
Yes Tommy , has been done before , but it's always interesting to see the socio-economic spectrum of our blue and gold family.
Myself , I wandered into the 1975 Elim semi v Canterbury with my dad and brother as neutral observers , happened to sit down amongst the then Blue and Gold Army (YES it did exist then!) and was so taken by the team's spirit that year in playing so many games in two weeks and only losing the Amco Cup Final , that I stuck with them from that point on. And every year Parra fell short , it became more of a personal mission to see it through to the inevitable premiership. And you younger folk , don't give up- it WILL happen again SOON!!!!!!!

Latest posts