What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EVERYONE - When did you decide to support the Eels?

Parra R 4 Me

Juniors
simple watching a game with my Dad, St George v Parra on a black and white telly, a guy ran with the ball, I started to yell go, go, go, my Dad said No, not for that team that's Parra and I've been Parra ever since, much to my Dad's discuss. I have for 41 years and will till the day I died.

Raudonikis

Juniors
simple watching a game with my Dad, St George v Parra on a black and white telly, a guy ran with the ball, I started to yell go, go, go, my Dad said No, not for that team that's Parra and I've been Parra ever since, much to my Dad's discuss. I have for 41 years and will till the day I died.

Thats funny,did dad keep following saints?

ElectricEel

Juniors
When I was in Primary school, My friends and I HAD to have a favourite team in every sport. I chose Essendon ( I actually cant stand AFL) Detroit Lions ( I now follow Gren Bay Packers) and in league I chose Wests, cause I was living in Mt Druitt (Willmot).

Then, for some unknown reason, in 1977, I was at my friends place in South Penrith, and decided to follow the Eels. Loved them ever since. Oh, and my best mate was a Manly supporter.

I have also spent over a grand inking my left arm in blue and gold.

Hope that helps you.

lingard

Coach
1966. Sitting on my dad's shoulders at Cumberland Oval. Parramatta vs St George. (Ironic. )Ken Thornett, Ron Lynch, Dick Thornett, etc. playing against Reg Gasnier, Ian Walsh, Billy Smith, etc. The game ended up a draw. My first ever live game.
My father followed Parramatta and my two younger brothers followed them. The three of them are deceased now, so I'm kind of carrying on the family tradition. Ive followed Parramatta through thick and very thin.

lewiscook

Juniors
1966. Sitting on my dad's shoulders at Cumberland Oval. Parramatta vs St George. (Ironic. )Ken Thornett, Ron Lynch, Dick Thornett, etc. playing against Reg Gasnier, Ian Walsh, Billy Smith, etc. The game ended up a draw. My first ever live game.
My father followed Parramatta and my two younger brothers followed them. The three of them are deceased now, so I'm kind of carrying on the family tradition. Ive followed Parramatta through thick and very thin.

Gees what an era, wish i was around than.
And a great story mate, sounds like your father and brothers were a great inspiration on you.
Parra for life.

Parra Guru

Coach
Born in Westmead, Grew up in Northmead. First memory was meeting Peter Wynn at the bottlo on Kleins Rd.

As I said, I wasn't born with a choice

mondoro

Juniors
I decided to support the mighty eels in 1974 in memory of my late grandfather who was a staunch eels supporter. He died in 1973 & never got to see the eels win a premiership. He would have loved to be at the SCG on 27/9/81 to see Parra beat Newtown.

Pricey73

Juniors
I moved from Perth to Sydney in 1980 with my parents and we moved to Kings Langley and simple enough we asked the neighbour what was the local team to support he responded with the eels I then played Harold Mathews & SG Ball and since pulling on the jersey will follow the eels till the day I die.

My kids just love Jarryd Hayne and Eric Grothe well and so does the wife!

Last edited:

WestCoastEel

Juniors
When I was in Primary school, My friends and I HAD to have a favourite team in every sport. I chose Essendon ( I actually cant stand AFL) Detroit Lions ( I now follow Gren Bay Packers) and in league I chose Wests, cause I was living in Mt Druitt (Willmot).

Then, for some unknown reason, in 1977, I was at my friends place in South Penrith, and decided to follow the Eels. Loved them ever since. Oh, and my best mate was a Manly supporter.

I have also spent over a grand inking my left arm in blue and gold.

Hope that helps you.

I'm interested in seeing your ink, got any photos?

Parra R 4 Me

Juniors
Thats funny,did dad keep following saints?

No he doesn't he converted to the bloody Drongo's, with the Dragons second. He did ring me yesterday and said should he send over the tissue's, I replied No, thanks I have the Big Men's tissues here for you because you will need them for when the Dragqueens and Drongo's lose.

butch82

Juniors
had no choice in goin for the eels , dad had a eels footy jersey on me at 3 months old.he started goin for them in 76 i think cause they had to play 3-4 games in a week to make the finals.n i wouldnt have it any other way..27 years old n still supporting the greatest team in the world.

Suitman

Post Whore
My dad grew up in Bronte, and played reserve grade for the Roosters.
When he married, they moved to Harris Park, and Dad started going to Cumberland Oval.
I too, started going when I was about 5 or 6, and also used to sit on Dads shoulders on the northern side of the old grandstand.
I became hooked pretty quickly, but my earliest happy memory was at the Sydney Sports Ground when Parra won the pre-season Wills Cup. I think it was '75.
I was a complete tragic after that, and have been obsessed ever since.

Even though I have seen 4 grand final victories and an Amco Cup win (I think it was the KB Cup by then) I am still desperate to see another. There is truly no greater feeling.

Suity

Marrapatta

Juniors
1984 - Seiffert Oval

My mate's uncle was John Monie. I wasn't into Rugby League so much, but had heard of the Eels and their triumphs around that time. My mate invited me out to the match with his parents. Little was I to know that we were to go into the change rooms after the match.

I specifically remember most of them drinking beer. :) And I met the likes of Sterlo, Kenny, Price, Grothe, Ella to mention a few. I was totally hooked after that experience.

I also remember the 1984 grand final... I was so disappointed at the time. But what an awesomely hard fought match.

Last edited:

lingard

Coach
First game in 1963 at cumberland.
The old man is a great fan.
we used to go to the football EVERY weekend, no matter where they played.
It was easier back then because they only played in Sydney.

Used to sit in the Grandstand as a kid and scream "lolly legs" when the opposition goal kicker came in to have a shot - AND it worked.
Loved rocking the grandstand with my feet - Parra STOMP STOMP STOMP Parra ...
Hell that old stand used to rock.
Loved lining up outside and the old man saying hello to the other regulars there as they had been going to the footy for years.
Loved watching the players arriving and walking past the crowd on the hill.

We lived Eastlakes so I had to go through the South Jnrs system.
All the players were always stoked when the Souths legends visited the team but I was always hanging out to meet the Parra Players.
GREAT MEMORIES ..........

LOLLY LEGS! I'd forgotten that one. Of course it worked! Everytime. :lol::lol:

lingard

Coach
This thread has been done before.As my nic here suggests i grew up following the magpies,when they were punted i said to my 2 daughters,ok you choose who we follow now,cos i had dragged them to wests bad years,but they loved it,getting all dressed up.So then we started coming to parra and it was easy to grow to love the eels to.I also played for wenty in juniors so it was an easy transition.
I used to love the old days when wests played parra in the late 70s early 80s

I remember one game at Lidcombe Oval when Mick Cronin mowed down Terry Lamb, who had burst through a gap and looked certain to score. Wests won (as they often did). Parramatta and Wests - the original and best local derby! Of course, Manly and Norths were great, too.