What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ex-Canterbury Bulls forward scores Dragons deal

TruSaint

Referee
Former Canterbury Bulls and current New Zealand Maori frontrower Rulon Nutira has scored a one-year deal with the St George-Illawarra Dragons' NRL squad.

New Brighton rugby union club hooker Fraser Alcock, who played in the NRL 20s competition with the Cronulla Sharks, will also join the Dragons for pre-season training next month.

The deals have been brokered by Christchurch-based players' agent Frank Endacott, who said it showed ''it is still possible for Canterbury players to have a pathway to the NRL''.

''NRL clubs usually look to their New South Wales Cup sides [to bolster their first grade squads], so it's great to have a couple of Kiwis, and Canterbury Kiwis especially, getting a chance.''

Nutira, 24, played this year in the New South Wales ''bush'' - the New South Wales Group Nine competition for the Gundagai Tigers - and was selected in the Group Nine Team of the Year after winning the best prop award as the Tigers bowed out in the major semifinal to the eventual premiers, Albury.

Alcock, 23, has spent the past few years playing rugby union alongside his brother, Mitchell, for New Brighton, which won the 2013 Christchurch Metro division one title. The Dragons want him to play prop.

Endacott said he always felt Nutira had the potential to play in the NRL.

''He's a similar size and plays a similar style to James Tamou, the Australian test prop who plays for the [North Queensland] Cowboys.

"He's six-foot five, Aussie clubs like players with size, but he's also got a big motor for a big man, he can offload and he's got good ball skills.''

A former Kiwis and Warriors coach, Endacott said Nutira could potentially have ''another eight or nine years'' in the NRL if he grasped his second chance at a pro career.

Nutira, a Hornby Panthers product, played in the Australian 20s competition for the Parramatta Eels and the Melbourne Storm.

He was initially offered a first-grade contract by Melbourne, but the deal fell through and he returned to Christchurch.

Endacott watched him play for Hornby and the Canterbury Bulls last year and thought ''he was the best prop in the New Zealand domestic competition''.

''He came to me and said he'd like to have another crack at the NRL.''

So the pair hatched a plan and decided the best move would be for Nutira to return to a NSW regional competition where he could attract interest from NRL scouts.

Endacott said ''four or five clubs'' had approached him about Nutira, with St George proving the best option.

Nutira will join the Dragons after playing with ex-Bulls front row colleague Jaye Pukepuke for New Zealand Maori against a Queensland Indigenous team on the Gold Coast later this month.

''For me, it's only the start. It's only an opportunity. I've got to prove myself, keep working hard and get ultra-fit. Making my NRL debut; that's my goal.

"The club have given me a chance and I want to take it with both hands, and shake the hell out of it.''

Nutira said he had matured a lot since he first went to Australia in his teens.

''I think I needed to do bit of growing up and learn a little abut life and find some balance.

''Coming home [to Christchurch] for a couple of years sorted me, plus a kick up the arse from my missus [Kata].''

Nutira had a sensational 2013 season for Hornby and the Bulls, winning the man of the match in the Panthers' grand final victory over Halswell.

He won selection in the New Zealand Maori team but ''blew out my PCL [posterior cruciate ligament] in the first test against the [Queensland] Aboriginals last year''.

His final season in New Zealand and his campaign with Gundagai had taught him ''how I can play to help my team-mates and help win games''.

Nutira has been working at a meatworks in Gundagai, a town of 2700 people, 390km south-west of Sydney. He played for the Tigers alongside former Canterbury Bulls team-mate Matt Sauni and ex-Riccarton Knights prop Vince Brown.

He has been to St George's training base in Wollongong to meet Dragons first grade coach Paul McGregor and new recruitment manager Peter Mulholland and is looking forward to moving to the beachside city ''and working hard''.

Endacott said Alcock, who also has a one-year contract with the Dragons, will leave for Wollongong after completing his final university commerce exam.

Alcock had phoned Endacott expressing interest in another tilt at the NRL, ''a day before St George called, looking for an extra prop''.

The two Cantabrians will be in good Kiwi company at St George - Kiwis Benji Marshall, Jason Nightingale and Gerard Beale are in the first grade squad and the Dragons have signed ex-Warriors prop Russell Packer on a $1 million contract after he completes a jail sentence for assault.

Meanwhile, Canterbury Bulls fullback Ken Tofilau, 18, has signed for the Newcastle Knights 20s squad and Jordan Pinnock, a West Coaster who plays for Halswell, will link with the Dragons' age-group squad.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/10577660/Ex-Canterbury-Bulls-forward-scores-Dragons-deal

willzy91

Juniors
We all knew there wasn't going to be any talent left to snap up in the NRL, so this is what we have had to succumb to in terms of forwards. Before we go bagging these players and the club, why don't we give these guys a chance. Right now they are total unknowns to us and for all we know they could have that size and mongrel we are looking for! So good on mulholland and mary for being adventurous and the recruitment of forwards, something a little different from the dribble we get from NSW cup each season.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
We all knew there wasn't going to be any talent left to snap up in the NRL, so this is what we have had to succumb to in terms of forwards. Before we go bagging these players and the club, why don't we give these guys a chance. Right now they are total unknowns to us and for all we know they could have that size and mongrel we are looking for! So good on mulholland and mary for being adventurous and the recruitment of forwards, something a little different from the dribble we get from NSW cup each season.

There was plenty of talent in the NRL waiting to be snapped up. We were just too busy waiting around to do anything about it. And now we have to resort to signing this bloke. Now I know I've never seen him play. But seriously...Has it come to this already?

Datramp

Juniors
Bear in mind that while there was plenty of talent in the NRL, this guy would have come cheap. Never seen him play but everyone thought mike cooper was a poor gamble at the end of last season....

Mr Red

First Grade
Haven't seen them play so I won't comment on that but I do find it ironinc that due to they are an unknown quantity they only give them 1 year deals and it's up to them to prove themselves and get a longer contract, however they jump right in a give McGregor a 3 year deal....
Surely the same logic would apply for him as well...

TruSaint

Referee
Haven't seen them play so I won't comment on that but I do find it ironinc that due to they are an unknown quantity they only give them 1 year deals and it's up to them to prove themselves and get a longer contract, however they jump right in a give McGregor a 3 year deal....
Surely the same logic would apply for him as well...

Excellent point.
I, like you, will wait to see what this guy can do, but doesnt change the fact above.

FlameThrower

Bench
This is the best out of a bad situation,
1. Money is tight
2. No quality players available that we can afford
3. Unproven coach may deter half decent players signing on
4. Last 3 years have been below average

Considering all of the above, I think this is not that bad, they know we have an issue with no backup hooker and also lack size upfront in the forwards, let's see what comes of this.

TruSaint

Referee
1. Money is tight

Considering all of the above, I think this is not that bad, they know we have an issue with no backup hooker and also lack size upfront in the forwards, let's see what comes of this.

Fair call Flame, and all 4 points above are valid.
I suppose, the only question is how does a club end up in such a predicament after 3 poor years? Totally understand a player not wanting to come over to us unless he is paid big bucks.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
Don't know about this. We just seem obsessed with stacking our player ranks with a herd of nuffies. Yes they come cheap, but 3-4 of them would surely add up to buying 1 decent established first grader.

Wouldn't it be better to buy a more experienced forward while also having youngsters like Fonda-Blake waiting in the wings?

DRAGONSNZ

Bench
Don't know about this. We just seem obsessed with stacking our player ranks with a herd of nuffies. Yes they come cheap, but 3-4 of them would surely add up to buying 1 decent established first grader.

Wouldn't it be better to buy a more experienced forward while also having youngsters like Fonda-Blake waiting in the wings?

No one thought Mike Cooper would end up being any good but he ended up being our best forward so ill wait until I see them play until I call them nuffies...

I thought the club needed MONGREL not experience and it doesn't matter how old or experienced you are to have MONGREL in fact I would say the younger or less experienced have more MONGREL as they are fresh and rearing to go or a looking for a second chance, so they rip in i.e PACKER and these guys.. who said we need experience when have Creagh, Merrin and Thompson.

Plus who's out there to get? Willie wanted too much so we turned him down, Learoyd lars just straight turned us down for Melbourne (lol says it all really, BETTER COACHING), they are trying to get Russell Packer who is BIG and has MONGREL and people on here are still not Happy. Im sorry to cut it to you guys but Matt Scott, James Tamou, George Burgess, Ben Matulino , JWH and Paul Gallen aren't going anywhere, so get over trying to get a top line prop, its not going to happen, Most people would love to have our Wingers too but we Keep them like they keep there Props. Its like the dogs trying to take BMOZ, that's what they are thinking when we talk about taking their props, HELL NO!!!

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
No one thought Mike Cooper would end up being any good but he ended up being our best forward so ill wait until I see them play until I call them nuffies...

I thought the club needed MONGREL not experience and it doesn't matter how old or experienced you are to have MONGREL in fact I would say the younger or less experienced have more MONGREL as they are fresh and rearing to go or a looking for a second chance, so they rip in i.e PACKER and these guys.. who said we need experience when have Creagh, Merrin and Thompson.

Plus who's out there to get? Willie wanted too much so we turned him down, Learoyd lars just straight turned us down for Melbourne (lol says it all really, BETTER COACHING), they are trying to get Russell Packer who is BIG and has MONGREL and people on here are still not Happy. Im sorry to cut it to you guys but Matt Scott, James Tamou, George Burgess, Ben Matulino , JWH and Paul Gallen aren't going anywhere, so get over trying to get a top line prop, its not going to happen, Most people would love to have our Wingers too but we Keep them like they keep there Props. Its like the dogs trying to take BMOZ, that's what they are thinking when we talk about taking their props, HELL NO!!!

Cooper was an established first grader from what I recall. Point I'm trying to make is, that we should be looking at props who would be starters in other teams. Packer is a good start.

Hopefully these young kiwis go well and, importantly, we actually give them a chance to prove themselves. We have bought so many players with 'potential' these last few years, yet they barely get a decent shot in proving themselves?

BlackDuckSaint

Juniors
1. Money is tight

Just for information, the hooker in the article played Rugby Union as a hooker which is a different position. They Pack in the same corresponding position in the scrum as the Rugby League hooker (which is why they are called the same thing) but they play as a hit up running, midfield Front Row forward. They are also the ones that throw in the Line Outs.

But yes, I am glad that have started to respond to our lack of size up front.

Dragonnic

Juniors
God we are a negative bunch! Remember all the negativity around signing Mike Cooper and he was one of our best. Give them a go guys and i trust the face that Mulholland is now here.

watatank

Coach
Cooper used to play for Warrington, who is one of the top teams in the Super League so it's not really the same type of signing.

These signings are similar to Rory O'Brien but we still made him play for the Cutters first before signing him.