What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ex-Tigers playing 2014 finals

Ron's_Mate

Bench
After seeing Lote Tuqiri have a good game on Friday night, I wondered how many other Tigers discards are playing in this years finals. I'm not trying to make any particular point here about whether certain players should have been released or not, but putting myself in the players' boots they must be pretty pleased with where they have ended up.

This is the list I've come up with.
Lote Tuqiri - Souths
Ben Murdoch-Masila - Panthers (off bench)
Robert Lui - Cowboys
Marika Koroibete - Storm
Junior Moors - Storm (listed to start off the bench)
Mitch Brown - Bulldogs

My comments - Koroibete I regard as the biggest loss. Shouldn't have been released in my opinion. Moors I had forgotten about, was only with the Tigers for about one year. Seems to be a perennial bench player, same as Murdoch-Masila. Tuqiri has been a revelation - I thought he was washed up. Brown wasn't rated by Sheens but is a solid first grader - certainly he's good enough for Des Hasler. Lui had to go but he is showing his skills with NQ.

Koro is the only one I'd take back, although if releasing him meant we signed Lodge then I am okay with the decision
Lui is playing well, but we've got some good young halves talent
BMM and Moors are reserve graders who are getting a run now because of injuries
Lote played about 5 games in his last 2 seasons with us, re=signing him would have been a massive risk
Brown is a solid first grader

macnaz

Staff member
Strange how state cup died in the arse once Kori left. Guess a guy scoring 3 and 4 tries a week wins football games , who would have thought that is how its done .

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
The fact that Lui can continue to play in the NRL is a disgrace. Carney pisses in his mouth Lui bashes his missus for the 2nd time where police were involved and who is still in NRL?

Korobete is playing well because he is playing in the fking storm. If blair went back over there he would be one of the best back rowers again. We have no structure and some players dont fit when we sre still figuring out the basics (like this thing called catching).

macnaz

Staff member
KORI SCORING 3 TRYS A WEEK FOR WT Wasnt playing well ?
To be honest he isnt doing much at the storm Because he is treated like a leaper , every single play goes down the right to siisywanka and all Kori gets is the hit ups and dregs.. so much for Belly ache the super coach.

Last edited:
Taqele Naiyaravoro is a name that will be spoken of regularly if his game for the Greater Sydney Rams in their 47-18 victory over the Sydney Stars at Pirtek Oval on Saturday is anything to go by.

Not that Naiyaravoro is unknown. He raised plenty of interest as a mid-season signing for the Waratahs from Wests Tigers' NSW Cup squad, after which he made five appearances for the Super Rugby champions.

Now in the NRC, he continues to impress.

After last week scoring three tries against the Perth Spirit, the 120-kilogram, 195-centimetre Fijian-born flyer starred again in the Rams' seven tries to three win over the Stars at Parramatta that was a credit to their defence and counter attack.

Naiyaravoro scored one try but lit up the field with line-breaking bursts in the game that left the Rams with two wins and two losses so far in the NRC.

"That was one of my main focuses from the past week," said Naiyaravoro who is on contract at the Waratahs for another year. "I was trying to keep on from that performance [last week].

"I'm very pleased ... I'm blessed just to be getting all this amount of minutes playing in this team.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...n-of-stars-20140913-10ghob.html#ixzz3DIC0akis

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The fact that Lui can continue to play in the NRL is a disgrace. Carney pisses in his mouth Lui bashes his missus for the 2nd time where police were involved and who is still in NRL?
To be fair, Todd did a little bit more than piss in his mouth.

But Lui should have been booted out of the comp.

Korobete is playing well because he is playing in the fking storm. If blair went back over there he would be one of the best back rowers again. We have no structure and some players dont fit when we sre still figuring out the basics (like this thing called catching).
Storm are starving him of decent ball/opportunities space.

Their plays have always been strongest on the other side of the field.

Waqa and Fonua are average players but Cronk and Slater are making them look like test stars.

Imagine what they could do linking up with Koroibete.

Tiger05

First Grade
KORI SCORING 3 TRYS A WEEK FOR WT Wasnt playing well ?
To be honest he isnt doing much at the storm Because he is treated like a leaper , every single play goes down the right to siisywanka and all Kori gets is the hit ups and dregs.. so much for Belly ache the super coach.

Agreed with all of this. Give Koro the ball in some space and he consistently delivers. I can't believe we let him go.

Your point also touches on how good coaches are. To me champion players can make a coach look a lot better than what he is and the reverse holds true as well.

macnaz

Staff member
Agreed with all of this. Give Koro the ball in some space and he consistently delivers. I can't believe we let him go.

Your point also touches on how good coaches are. To me champion players can make a coach look a lot better than what he is and the reverse holds true as well.
Yep it wasnt a bad mistake , a f**k up , nor was it a a big f**k up .... IT WAS A MAJOR f**k up to let him go..
Yes we have to win games but he could do that..... every side needs a Charactor or an Entertainer to excite the fans , we have got jack , NO WINS AND NOTHING TO EXCITE FANS , at least Benji still impressed us with some magic in the bad times . just seems all boring and bad these days :(
Seriously im sure in all the game when we got smashed we would still remember a highlight and perhaps re watch a part of the game just to see it ? Ill always remember going to watch the Nines in Auckland JUST to watch the likes of Kori cut lose ( EXcept The prop in a halfbacks body who thinks he is an NRL coach but is just a Judas totally f**ked it al up ) ..... But really what is special about our bunch of Plodders ?
PS.. Ritchards does some crazy kick offs .... ONE THING we always get plenty of practice at !

Last edited:

Tiger05

First Grade
^^^

Honestly it was a joke of a decision. I love Richards kick offs as well. I just which we weren't doing them as much. Koro would have helped with that.

BuffaloRules

Coach
I think that is 100 times you have whinged about Koro leaving.

If we could only turn back time.

Or is there some chance he is coming back?

I think I only whinged about Fafita leaving 64 times, and in hindsight that was excessive.

Tiger05

First Grade
I think that is 100 times you have whinged about Koro leaving.

If we could only turn back time.

Or is there some chance he is coming back?

I think I only whinged about Fafita leaving 64 times, and in hindsight that was excessive.

And ?

Ron's_Mate

Bench
After seeing Lote Tuqiri have a good game on Friday night, I wondered how many other Tigers discards are playing in this years finals. I'm not trying to make any particular point here about whether certain players should have been released or not, but putting myself in the players' boots they must be pretty pleased with where they have ended up.

This is the list I've come up with.
Lote Tuqiri - Souths
Ben Murdoch-Masila - Panthers (off bench)
Robert Lui - Cowboys
Marika Koroibete - Storm
Junior Moors - Storm (listed to start off the bench)
Mitch Brown - Bulldogs

My comments - Koroibete I regard as the biggest loss. Shouldn't have been released in my opinion. Moors I had forgotten about, was only with the Tigers for about one year. Seems to be a perennial bench player, same as Murdoch-Masila. Tuqiri has been a revelation - I thought he was washed up. Brown wasn't rated by Sheens but is a solid first grader - certainly he's good enough for Des Hasler. Lui had to go but he is showing his skills with NQ.

Congrats to Lote Tuqiri - won a grand final with Souths. Had a very good finals series. Not great in the GF, but solid.
Likewise congrats to Mitch Brown for making a GF - rated by many Tigers fans when he wasn't rated by supercoach Sheens. Had a good finals series although he didn't do much in the GF, mainly because the doggies were always trying to attack down the other side of the field.
I didn't see the State Cup GF so can't comment on Murdoch-Masila's performance, but I wasn't impressed with how he played for the Panthers during the FG finals. Looks overweight and never looked close to breaking the line or getting a ball away.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Congrats to Lote Tuqiri - won a grand final with Souths. Had a very good finals series. Not great in the GF, but solid.
Likewise congrats to Mitch Brown for making a GF - rated by many Tigers fans when he wasn't rated by supercoach Sheens. Had a good finals series although he didn't do much in the GF, mainly because the doggies were always trying to attack down the other side of the field.
I didn't see the State Cup GF so can't comment on Murdoch-Masila's performance, but I wasn't impressed with how he played for the Panthers during the FG finals. Looks overweight and never looked close to breaking the line or getting a ball away.

Ron's Mate, you say you didn't see any of the State Cup between the Panthers and Northern Pride. I saw some of the game and I'd like to ask those who did see all of the game if they think there were players in that Northern Pride side good enough to come to the NRL. They were big boppers so I was wondering if there were some second rowers we could pick up cheap (bearing in mind our salary cap concerns)?

Something to discuss in the off season....

Tigers Tale

Juniors
A few weeks ago it was raised in one of the threads who we should chase for our team and I mentioned Symonds and Auva'a.

I know Symonds has since resigned with Manly but does anyone know what is happening with Auva'a? His worth has probably gone up by 100k since making it to the top Rabbits side. What do others think? It has been said we need another centre, would he fit the bill?