What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion 10 years away: Gallop

Mr Saab

Referee
LeagueLegend said:
Out of curiousity, where would they build a stadium on the CC to have it played? I would have thought the AFL would have Newcastle in sights.

You shoud be tested by ASDA.
Newcastle is league territory.
It would be like the NRL putting a club in Collingwood.

Quidgybo

Bench
BrisVegas said:
Does the NRL wait for an increase in the sale of the next media rights to fund expansion of the competition, or does the inclusion of two new teams in to two new markets drive the increased sales price in the first place?
And if you expand and then don't get as much funding from the next television deal as you hoped for then we're all screwed. Not just the new guys will go without but every club will have to cut its budget and potentially go back into the red for the next five or six years. With everyone already counting down to the last dollar, that's the sort of thing that sees clubs start falling over. Expansion has to be done sustainable, not two steps forward, two steps back. The last expansion was an exception, not the rule. The NRL knew they were in for a massive increase because the value of the rights had been so massively depressed in the aftermath of the SL war. At this point, almost five years out from the next deal, we can't be certain of *any* substantial increase, let alone a massive one.

EDIT: And I should point out if you're going to use new teams to drive an increase in television rights then we really can forget the Central Coast. Another team in NSW isn't going to open up any massive new market that the media moguls are not already getting for what they pay now.

Leigh.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Out: Gallop
In: John O'Neill (Please oh please oh please)

brooksy19 said:
Very dissapointing re: Central Coast..

Guess we'll have to put up with this A League sh*t a bit longer...and by that time, this place will be a soccer stronghold.

I just pray AFL dont put a team here.
AFL teams can only survive in big (~million people) cities simply because they rely on memberships so much. That's why there's no chance of them expanding into the GC, especially now that the Titans are there.

t-ba

Post Whore
LeagueLegend said:
That's what everyone said of Sydney when the Swans came.

The Difference being that Sydney is 8 times the size of Newcastle with a BIG Vic/SA expat base.

They're interested in the Gold Coast because it could double its population in the next 20 years and will be nearly the Size of Adelaide. It also has the benefit of a big expat base and a wealthy leagues club backing them.

Dave Q

Coach
Gallop is entitled to his view, but its unlikely he'll be around for more than a few years.

He conceded a few days ago that the NRL doesnt have the national profile of the AFL and that this has somewhat detracted from the games marketability amongst some big blue-chip corporate customers.

Of course that ommission is balanced by the game's international stature which the AFL doesnt have.

Now I cant see any problem in re-acquainting ourselves with the Central Coast, maybe another New Zealand side etc so long as the salary cap is kept mostly intact to ensure a fair distribution of players.

Also I think we should be looking to place a team in Western NSW.

mark123

Juniors
Pal, I have never met a Lawyer who was EVER an idiot.

Retract that statement, because it is YOU who looks an idiot.

I saw a Business Lawyer the other day, on personal grounds....on top of a VERY attractive annual salary, the fellow gets paid over one thousand dollars an hour when working with clients. Its not yours or mines business so I am not sure of the exact amount.

Do powerful, rich men, pay idiots a grand an hour....to work like an idiot, and be an idiot? No. Consider this: they would pay you nothing.

Pull yourself back into reality man!

t-ba

Post Whore
mark123 said:

Hi David.

Chachi

Bench
Gallop is a very smart man, but my preference would be to see a second team in NZ some time in the future.

As far as the central coast goes - I couldn't give a rats because John Singleton is an arrogant prick. In any case, I can't see the AFL moving into that area in the near future anyway.

A W.A. team could have been viable if not for the Western Force starting up, so I think we've missed the boat a bit there unless that side miraculously dies in the arse with the rest of the union comp.

Anyway I agree with Gallop and think our priority is to get a strong junior foothold in Victoria, New Zealand and the Gold Coast before weakening the competition by expanding.

Dave Q

Coach
He can forget Victoria, the whole storm thing is on life-support.

I think country people in NSW deserve and will lend support to a regular NRL team.

brendothejet

First Grade
The storm have done nothing but grow since day one. Anyone who says we should abandon them or that they are pointless has rocks in their head.

Through the storm league has a meaningful presence in Melbourne which has given birth to huge crowds for state and test matches as well as the rise in melbournes home crowds and the building of a new RL stadium.

We need a second side in NZ to increase the juniors and talent pull of Kiwis which results in international growth. also by having a local derby interest in the game increases hugely with a game almost every week in the country.

WA in terms of juniors, geographical and $$$ value is a must. It gives the game a great scope and is a TV dream allowing live matches all night thanks to time differences!

Make it happen NRL!

The_Savage_1

Juniors
mark123 said:

I saw a Business Lawyer the other day, on personal grounds....on top of a VERY attractive annual salary, the fellow gets paid over one thousand dollars an hour when working with clients. Its not yours or mines business so I am not sure of the exact amount.

Do powerful, rich men, pay idiots a grand an hour....to work like an idiot, and be an idiot? No. Consider this: they would pay you nothing.

:lol: 1k an hour, you're funny

aarondoyle

Juniors
brendothejet said:
The storm have done nothing but grow since day one. Anyone who says we should abandon them or that they are pointless has rocks in their head.

Through the storm league has a meaningful presence in Melbourne which has given birth to huge crowds for state and test matches as well as the rise in melbournes home crowds and the building of a new RL stadium.

I agree. I can't even the amount of exposure Rugby League got with the State of Origin in Melb last year. Suddenly TV shows were acting as if we were a national competition... not just a little curiosity that the northerners indulged in. We had players on Berts Family Feud, The Today Show, national news broadcasts, newspapers across the country were advertising the results...

Sadly for some reaosn in the last 10 years what happens in Melbourne is all that matters. If it affects Melb its important. If not the media don't care. We'll never 'beat' the AFL in Melbourne. The Swans crowds are no where near as big as the total League crowds across Sydney on a weekend... but their sheer presence and sucess has meant that AFL news and shows are broadcast into NSW (something unheard of 20 years ago... even 10 years ago) and the media see that as a sign that the AFL is 'accepted' in NSW. It's easier for themedia to show one lots of shows, one lot of sport news stories to the whole country than to regionalise it. We need to have justification for why they should bother with us rather than simply take the easy route and discuss nothing but AFL.

The media is run out of and by Melbourne. We must be successful there. It's a fact we have to live with.

/rant

Phillips

Referee
mark123 said:

correction.

i look like a sexy beast :cool:

Kurt Angle

First Grade
mark123 said:

Mate, only QC's during high court sittings get $1,000 an hour.

miccle

Bench
Kurt Angle said:
Mate, only QC's during high court sittings get $1,000 an hour.

You'd be surprised.

It's not about them "getting" money if they are a partner in a firm or something of the like.

It is about how much they charge. If they have the runs on the board and feel that they deserve that sort of coin, people do pay it.

Lockyer4President! said:
Out: Gallop
In: John O'Neill (Please oh please oh please)

why would we want someone that doesnt actually like Rugby League?!

what we need is someone who has a passion for the game that has a business background ( like oneill when he joined the ARU)

Latest posts