What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion 10 years away: Gallop

dimitri

First Grade
i dont think we need a 2nd Vic team

Build the storm into a state super club and dont worry about expanding again in vic!

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
dimitri said:
i dont think we need a 2nd Vic team

Build the storm into a state super club and dont worry about expanding again in vic!
Yeah really. We already have enough places that want a team. Perth, Adelaide, Central Coast, Wellington and a 4th QLD team would all be ahead of another one in Victoria.

Azkatro

First Grade
Knightmare said:
Oh PLEASE. :roll: You aren't seriously trying to tell us that the Northern Eagles even came close to resembling a home team? They only existed because the Bears were screwed over and Manly needed a safe-house for a couple of years before returning to Brookvale for good. That was their plan all along.
You're completely missing my point though - there is only THREE ways I can see the Central Coast getting an NRL team:

1) A Sydney team relocates and keeps their name, eg Central Coast Sharks, Central Coast Panthers, Central Coast Rabbitohs etc. The locals again turn their nose up at the gesture because it's not "their" Bears team. Sydney teams know this, hence they won't take the $8m on offer to do this. Probability? TINY.

2) A Sydney team relocates and renames to the Central Coast Bears, changes their team colours to red and black and logo to the Bears logo. Probability? NIL.

3) A Sydney team is 100% culled, or two Sydney teams merge. This opens up the opportunity for the Bears to move up to the Central Coast and start an NRL team. Probability of a Sydney team happily killing itself or two Sydney teams merging together? TINY.

That's how I see the Central Coast situation.

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
Pazza said:
we got teams in Brisbane, sydney, canberra and melbourne! who gives a sh*t about perth and adelade

Typical moronic eastern states attitude - Im alright jack!! :sarcasm: :roll:

stimpy u idiot

Juniors
Gallop says that the CC isn't right for a "new team". This leaves the gate open to re-locate a Sydney team there. Which I think was probably always the best option for the CC. Of course, no Sydney team supporter wants their team to be the one, but I reckon some unlucky team will eventually either decide its in their club's best interest or suffer some sort of disaster and have it thrust upon them.

I personally don't think we should be looking at a hasty expansion into Adelaide and Perth. Financially it could ruin the comp.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Why should Sydney teams move? All this BS about a crowded market is rubbish, people were saying it was too crowded when there were 12 then we had 11, now we have 9 and it's still crowded.

If clubs pull their fingers out they can increase their revenue eg. Souths who everyone wanted moved. The Roosters have no juniors and fickle support yet they survive. Cronulla have no money yet they survive.
It's NOT about moving clubs it's about improving the management of them.

OVP

Coach
taxidriver said:
and the news owned Broncs chuckle away having the whole of Brisbane to themselves.

Agreed 100% mate. Isnt it about time one team cities like Brisbane, FFS !!, actually had some true competition. But hey, it'll ALWAYS be the older clubs who pay through their arse for a continued Brisbane/Melbourne/one team city success. US Sydney clubs have realised by now, we have NOTHING, not even a leg to stand on, in the complaints dept.

p.s. f**k u News.

Look at the Roosters trying to "poach" Wayne Bennett. A terrifying conversation with that Frog-mouthed loathesome son of Rupert The Turd (The Anti-Christ ... noone has more power than the EVIL Rupert), was enough for Wayne to be far too terrified to agree with the deal he ACTUALLY made with the Roosters. Wayne was ACTUALLY far more scared of the Murdoch's than Nick Politis. Doesnt that tell the League world something about how WE ARE REALLY RUN ? Fear. The only thing the Roosters offered him was a chance to be a truly great coach, to be compared with the great Jack Gibson. But Lachlan terrified him too much .... Put it down on your resume Wayne ... you proved you couldnt hack it.

bear56

Juniors
Dave Q said:
Gallop is entitled to his view, but its unlikely he'll be around for more than a few years.

He conceded a few days ago that the NRL doesnt have the national profile of the AFL and that this has somewhat detracted from the games marketability amongst some big blue-chip corporate customers.

Of course that ommission is balanced by the game's international stature which the AFL doesnt have.

Now I cant see any problem in re-acquainting ourselves with the Central Coast, maybe another New Zealand side etc so long as the salary cap is kept mostly intact to ensure a fair distribution of players.

Also I think we should be looking to place a team in Western NSW.
I agree, we should be looking at the Central Coast where Soccer & R.U. are making inroads into what was once a strong Rugby League area.Another area I would be pushing urgently for would be Wagga Wagga,not only a staunch R.L. area but could also be a magnet for talented country footballers who might not be attracted to major urban cities.In both places there would be more chance of attracting financial support than either Perth or Adelaide.

mightybears

Bench
our time will come [as it will for wellington, perth and brisbane -non scab version 2.0 ]
money and demography talks, it always has.

greenhat

Juniors
Mate Wagga Wagga is great, double the fun and all that
but have you been there?
its not what you'd call a big city

in fact they play a far bit of aussie rules down there and they had withdraw their team from the ACTAFL this year because they didn't think they were long term viable in such a high-level (basically amateur) comp

i think at best wagga could hope for the raiders to play a regular trial game there

Quidgybo

Bench
LeagueXIII said:
Isn't expansion usually tied in with TV rights? Look when the game was independant it grew in 1982, 1988 and 1995. Is it News Ltd saying no growth because we don't want to pay anymore otherwise we won't be able to take as much from the game?
No they (and everyone else with a bit of business sense) are saying the game has changed since those days. The game is now fully professional and it runs on real money. Chook raffles no longer pay the bills and an extra slab of beer thrown in the back of the ute is no longer enough to keep good players. If it costs $15m annually to run each club and the game currently only brings in $180m (!) each year then with 16 clubs we're still living four clubs beyond our means. Which is why we still see only one club operating comfortably at a profit and maybe a few others inching closer. Now I'm not saying I know what the exact figures are, I'm just illustrating the point. The economics of the game are now light years from what they once were and any future expansions must be and will be made with extreme consideration for what the game can afford. That includes being very wary of the impact any such expansion will have on the future profitability and stability of existing teams due to their share of the pie being cut thinner. It's doesn't do the game's expansion any good if we add Perth, but then Melbourne or Auckland fall over because they're pushed too far into the red by a decreased grant.

Leigh.

Quidgybo

Bench
greenhat said:
i think at best wagga could hope for the raiders to play a regular trial game there
Or a shared Riverina side in a national second division. Between Wagga and Albury/Wodonga there's more than enough of a population and commercial base to support a side on a scale a magnitude smaller than an NRL side. We *can* give places like this a team to support in a national competition and act as a focus for building the game in these smaller markets, but these teams don't have to be operating at the $10-$20m turnover of an NRL franchise. If a region like NQ with a population of about 400,000 can support an NRL franchise then I think its more than feasible to structure a national second tier competition that would allow smaller markets in the 100,000-200,000 range to support franchises turning over $1m-$2m annually.

Leigh.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Most clubs don't make a profit. Even in AFL where they have a large crowds and virtual monopoly on the market most Melbourne clubs don't make a profit.
The difference between league and AFL is if it gets too hard in league we give up they keep slugging away. If Melbourne can sustain 9 AFL clubs why can't a growing city like Sydney maintain 9 or 10? It's just BS.
Before we move clubs or kick them out why not attempt to maximise revenue streams and get some decent management then clowns hanging on for a big pay day. Look at Souths as a perfect example. Good management and suddenly heaps of cash. League underestimates it's size and potential as Roy Masters said on the ABC it's small time thinking.

Ziggy the God

First Grade
Quidgybo said:
No they (and everyone else with a bit of business sense) are saying the game has changed since those days. The game is now fully professional and it runs on real money. Chook raffles no longer pay the bills and an extra slab of beer thrown in the back of the ute is no longer enough to keep good players. If it costs $15m annually to run each club and the game currently only brings in $180m (!) each year then with 16 clubs we're still living four clubs beyond our means. Which is why we still see only one club operating comfortably at a profit and maybe a few others inching closer. Now I'm not saying I know what the exact figures are, I'm just illustrating the point. The economics of the game are now light years from what they once were and any future expansions must be and will be made with extreme consideration for what the game can afford. That includes being very wary of the impact any such expansion will have on the future profitability and stability of existing teams due to their share of the pie being cut thinner. It's doesn't do the game's expansion any good if we add Perth, but then Melbourne or Auckland fall over because they're pushed too far into the red by a decreased grant.

Leigh.

Yes Leigh, the game brings in this amount, whilst the AFL brings in how much?
You are slowly getting to the point of why many are p1ssed about League being sold short. Hopefully you will shortly come to the same conclusion.

You are getting closer, you only need to join the dots.

Quidgybo

Bench
Ziggy the God said:
Yes Leigh, the game brings in this amount, whilst the AFL brings in how much?
You are slowly getting to the point of why many are p1ssed about League being sold short.
You're taking it as fact that it has been sold short. We know the AFL has been massively oversold and we know the AFL offer a national market that we don't. So exactly how much more do you seriously think we could have got? Enough to be only two clubs short of even - meaning we still couldn't fund further expansion? Enough to cover all sixteen clubs but no more - meaning we still couldn't fund further expansion? Enough to cover an extra two clubs? None of what you'e said changes the point I made that future expansion will be governed by exactly what the game can afford without jeopardising the viability and stability of existing franchises.

Leigh.

Quidgybo

Bench
LeagueXIII said:
Most clubs don't make a profit. Even in AFL where they have a large crowds and virtual monopoly on the market most Melbourne clubs don't make a profit.
Exactly.

The difference between league and AFL is if it gets too hard in league we give up they keep slugging away. If Melbourne can sustain 9 AFL clubs...
But it can't - as you've just written above. The AFL know this which is exactly why they're pushing another one of them towards the door for relocation

Leigh.