What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion 10 years away: Gallop

Tom Shines

First Grade
brooksy19 said:
Very dissapointing re: Central Coast..

Guess we'll have to put up with this A League sh*t a bit longer...and by that time, this place will be a soccer stronghold.

I just pray AFL dont put a team here.
Escpecially when you consider the fan base and how many they get for trials and the like.
I would still be content if Souths moved up there in a couple of years or so.

Tom Shines

First Grade
herbert henry1908 said:
He flat out Hates Rugby League! and has made several statements over the years to that affect. Not too mention he is one of the biggest tools god ever gave breath too.

people talk about him like he is the only decent sports administrator in this country. If he is so good why didnt he get a national club comp running in all his years in charge at the ARU?! how about getting any of the sports he ran on to free tv?

he has the sum total of 1 years experience running a club comp , he has simply never proven himself at this level.

We want people in charge that have the business acumen but also a passion and understanding of where our game and its fans are coming from.
Just a few points on O'Neill's resume:
* 2003 Rugby World Cup
* WC Qualifiers at Telstra
* Guus Hiddink
* Socceroos
* A-League

Front-Rower

First Grade
Quidgybo said:
Who said anything about a 20 team comp? That's decades away. The next step we're looking at expansion wise is a 17 or 18 team comp with potentially two of those teams being from NZ. That'd still only mean 16 Australian teams (incidentally the same number the AFL manage to support in the Australian market) which is back to exactly what we had in the supposed golden years of 1988-1994.

Leigh.

Well we have 16 at the moment and all you guys want W.A, S.A and a new NZ team thats 19 and a team on the CC makes 20. Might as well just bring the Jim Beam cup team in, beacuse thats about the standard of play that will be created in a 20 team competition.

Perth Red

Post Whore
OK calmed down a bit now!

Here is what I think he should have said:

Reporter: "So what of expansion of the number of NRL teams?"

GAllop: "Well the game continues to grow in strength and we have made some great strides forward in establishing a strong foundation for future expansion. Expansion won't happen overnight but we recognise that a truly National competition will bring financial rewards and other positives. We have started this process with the introduction of the Gold Coast this season and by working with the WARL to help re establish the game on the West Coast. The WA Reds will commence playing in the JB cup next season and they have a very thorough and well thought out 5 year strategy. The Central Coast and Wellington are also two possible areas for the future. We are continuing to ensure a financial strength in our heartland areas and will be using our recently improved sponsorship income to ensure that the heartlands of the game continues to flourish whilst developing potential growth areas with a view to those areas entering the NRL when they are ready and the game is strong enough to ensure the long term future of expansion areas."

Now wouldn't have that been a far better way to put it? No artificial time frames, no p'ing off of people like the WARL and fans in possible expansion areas? Not difficult is it?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Front-Rower said:
Well we have 16 at the moment and all you guys want W.A, S.A and a new NZ team thats 19 and a team on the CC makes 20. Might as well just bring the Jim Beam cup team in, beacuse thats about the standard of play that will be created in a 20 team competition.

And who said we want them all in by next year? I see nothing wrong with a 20 team comp by 2025! WA will be producing its own players within 10 years of admission if not before with the junior development programs it has, Wellington will be able to use all the Kiwis that the Aussie clubs are currently signing up, CC will be a relocation or not at all, SA is the long shot and probably won't happen. Hopefully Victoria will improve its junior development and so it isn't unrealistic to see some players coming from Victoria in years to come.

A national League will increase TV and other income there by allowing salary cap raises and stopping alot of players heading to the ESL so really if well planned and timed there will be no reduction in player quality at all!

d3@t3h

Juniors
The challenge that I see is this no matter the code or sport is that just, expanding the number of teams just wont cut it anymore, simply because it's just no longer feasible. The trick is to find away to expand without "expanding" if you will.

AFL is trying the Relocation/2nd home approach

ARC will probably use abstract names with no resembalence to location like they use in the stupid 14( ie lions, crusaders, highlanders) and then increase the number of grass root clubs associated with a club

A-League: probably 2nd div with P/R or some other gimmick involving state league clubs

NBL: ?

as for NRL: IDK

Coleman said:
Just a few points on O'Neill's resume:
* 2003 Rugby World Cup
* WC Qualifiers at Telstra
* Guus Hiddink
* Socceroos
* A-League

do you think Frank Lowy might be a little bit responsible for some of this?!

Ive got no doubt he has done well , but the NRL is a completley different beast.Most of his experience comes in running a national body NOT a competition.

Now if you were talking about him running international rugby league you may have a point, but he has no idea about NRL and its fans.

anyway as i mentioned earlier , its a bit pointless as John Oneil HATES rugby league and if there is anything im certain about its the fact he wont be at the head of the NRL.

Front-Rower said:

no one is saying lets have a 20 team comp next year!

20 teams would be 10 to 15 years away. By that time it will have been almost 30 years since the last time we had a 20 team comp and 25 since we had a 14 team comp. I wouldnt consider 14 to 20 in 25 years rapid expansion.

Iluvfinchy

Juniors
herbert henry1908 said:
care to give us your reasoning ?

I would have thought perth and/or wellington are much more natural fits.

i herd that adelaide is the fastest growing city in australia i culd be rong tho

Iluvfinchy said:
i herd that adelaide is the fastest growing city in australia i culd be rong tho

its actually the opposite , im pretty sure its population is due to decline over the next 25 years.

Brisbane and perth would be the fastest growing i think.

Iluvfinchy

Juniors
KalgoorlieRed said:
Where is Adelaide? :roll: :lol: Oh they got 6000 to an NRL game last year, yeah such great support.....

ok but a ram is so much cooler than a red serzly its just a colour

Tom Shines

First Grade
I would say within ten years there should be a Perth team, a Central Coast team (perhaps a relocated team), and Wellington.

Copa

Bench
LeagueLegend said:
Girvie, this is one of them. The other is a Q&A about several other game related things.

Gallop predicts no new clubs for decade
Paul Malone

THE Gold Coast looks like being the last new club admitted to the NRL for at least 10 years, NRL chief executive David Gallop has warned in the countdown to the launch of the Titans.

Gallop said he would be wary of an increase in teams from 16 to 18 within the next decade and is doubtful if Perth or Adelaide can be developed enough as league cities to reenter a national competition.

"I wouldn't say no to 10 years, but anything inside 10 years I'd be wary of," Gallop said in today's first of the year's MainGame in today's Courier-Mail.

"You have to put teams in where there is a chance for the grassroots to take hold. Even Melbourne is a lesson in that.

"The Central Coast (of NSW) has a lot going for it. Unfortunately, there's already too much competition in Sydney and that counts against Gosford.

"Adding teams could mean less money for grassroots rugby league. I'd like to keep putting the salary cap up so we can continue to attract the best athletes and keep putting the club grant up."

The NRL clubs have put in a $4 million salary cap this year, up from $3.6 million last year, and the league is planning to increase the salary cap and club grants out of the new television and sponsorship deals signed over the past 18 months.

Gallop said the NRL would leave $8 million on the table for any existing team wanting to move to what the NRL considered a desirable new base.

"We'd look at other areas as well (other than Gosford)," he said. "Whether Adelaide or Perth are ready ... it would take a while to get them there.

"The Gold Coast Titans give us a foothold in a very important population base which has
been targeted by our competitors.

"The cash the AFL has to spend is very impressive, but grassroots infrastructure is built up on a generational support of volunteers. We need to maintain the incentives for people to get involved and support their local game and for Gold Coast kids to want to play for the Titans."
Might not be extra teams..... there might be a relocation.

girvie

Staff member
What is the status of Wellington's bid to be included in the NRL? I haven't heard anything from them for a long time. It was only Gold Coast and Central Coast who made submissions to the NRL before they expanded most recently.

Dave Q

Coach
And people said the motorcar wouldnt catch on.

The NRL has enough cash and contacts to make a side work almost anywhere.

The people of Dubbo or Orange would attend matches in their several thousands.

They have numerous clubs from Parkes to Lightning Ridge, good hard working country people to make it work and would receive plenty of corporate support.

What do they want, koori kids in Walgett tuning into AFL?

This is war, the NRL needs to embrace its heartland.

I'd rather see a Dubbo side than Melbourne.

t-ba

Post Whore
It's not a matter of a team, it's a matter of funding. Which the country is in desperate need of.

The AFL isn't putting a side in Country Australia anytime soon, but they sure as hell are investing some cash in getting posts up and subsiding auskick.