What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion of the Women's Competition

Jamberoo

Juniors
I don't mind a mascot being renamed, like the Canberra Raiders, becoming Canberra Valkyeries for NRLW, things like that, but a completely different team, that has no affiliation to the current canberra club seems like a silly way to go. I agree with jamberoo, there's way too much cost plus personnel, and you want to be able to keep the same pathway open regardless of gender for that team.
It's just common sense MugaB.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Charming.
We can all dream, but anyone who has been involved in sporting clubs would know that you speak from a place of ignorance. When are you releasing your book ‘101 ways to bankrupt rugby league’?
I have been involved with sports clubs.

One of them was the richest amatuer club in the Southern Hemishpere for a while...

The Great Dane

First Grade
It's just common sense MugaB.
'Let's create a new league and do everything exactly the same as the old league. Then we'll sit there and wonder why we have all the same problems as the old league and more.'

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results; the 'common sense' of morons!

The Great Dane

First Grade
I don't mind a mascot being renamed, like the Canberra Raiders, becoming Canberra Valkyeries for NRLW, things like that, but a completely different team, that has no affiliation to the current canberra club seems like a silly way to go. I agree with jamberoo, there's way too much cost plus personnel, and you want to be able to keep the same pathway open regardless of gender for that team.
So Canberra United doesn't exist? Look em up.

What about the WNBL and Super Netball, both leagues should have failed a long time ago using the logic that you and Jamberoo espouse.

BTW, it'd only cost too much if you tried to live outside your means (which is the problem with most professional women's sports BTW, always pushing for parity with the men without being willing to take the time and do the work to earn it), and you don't need the same pro-club on top of the pathway to maintain the pathway, that's just silliness, nor should it be the jobs of the pro-clubs to maintain the grassroots anyway.

Last edited:

Jamberoo

Juniors

What about the WNBL and Super Netball, both leagues should have failed a long time ago using the logic that you and Jamberoo espouse.

BTW, it'd only cost too much if you tried to live outside your means (which is the problem with most professional women's sports BTW, always pushing for parity with the men without being willing to take the time and do the work to earn it), and you don't need the same pro-club on top of the pathway to maintain the pathway, that's just silliness, nor should it be the jobs of the pro-clubs to maintain the grassroots anyway.
What is the aim of a pro women’s RL comp?

MugaB

Coach

So i have to look them up to know they exist? Canberra United? United With who? Queanbeyan? is the word "united" a mascot.
What do they play, womens rugby league.
Coz if not, i wouldnt know, now if the were called Canberra Raiders maybe i'd know since im a rugba leg fan

The_Wookie

Bench

To be fair, in the case of Supernetball, while pay is pretty reasonable, they have a low number of players on the roster, and only 8 teams to share the pie with. WNBL pay is improving, but again rosters are fairly small, and team numbers are limited, Similar can be said of the W-league,

Wages come into play when your fighting for the best talent with SuperW, AFLW, NRLW and A-league, as well as WNBL, Supernetball, and even WBBL and Tennis.

I think the strength of the AFLW/NRLW is not just being able to leverage existing support, but its the huge cost savings in not having to duplicate support staff, admin, facilities and equipment, while being able to pull in more female support. It enables them to absorbn more wage costs. Plus, being able to share and improve female teams in the same facility, is a proven winner with governments when it comes to facilities funding - at least in AFL majority states and Queensland.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Stars set to earn fulltime deals in expanded NRLW
https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/03/15/stars-set-to-earn-fulltime-deals-in-expanded-nrlw/

So now that the NRL has confirmed increased salaries and expansion to 10 team by 2024; plus an increase in State of Origin games; the question to ask is: which teams fill the four new slots?
My thoughts are:
2023 - Warriors reintroduced & inclusion of Canberra
2024- Melbourne & a Sydney team (Panthers, tigers or Rabbits)

Stars set to earn fulltime deals in expanded NRLW
https://www.nrl.com/news/2022/03/15/stars-set-to-earn-fulltime-deals-in-expanded-nrlw/

So now that the NRL has confirmed increased salaries and expansion to 10 team by 2024; plus an increase in State of Origin games; the question to ask is: which teams fill the four new slots?
My thoughts are:
2023 - Warriors reintroduced & inclusion of Canberra
2024- Melbourne & a Sydney team (Panthers, tigers or Rabbits)
2023 will be Warriors if they re-apply and either Canberra or Cowboys
2024 will be more difficult to chose the 2 teams with up to 9 possibly applying for admittance -many of whom would have applied for admittance for the 2023 NRLW season.

cinders7

Juniors
It seems almost a fait accompli that three of the next four will be NZ, Canberra, North Queensland.

I'd love to see Melbourne get that fourth spot and watch what they could do with a license, even though it'd be going up against however many existing AFL teams down there.

Vee

First Grade
Still waiting for Souths and Sharks, I remember the outrage when they missed out originally.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Still waiting for Souths and Sharks, I remember the outrage when they missed out originally.
With the possible exception of one more from North of the harbour, no more teams from Sydney should ever be added to the NRLW.

Everybody with enough braincells to function agrees there're too many Sydney teams in the NRL, so why when creating a new competition would we burden it with the same issues when we don't have to.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Nice touch by Cronulla having their Tasha Gale squad take their bid in.

I get a bit sick of the whinge about Souths should have been in the first 4, why. They haven't done anything to deserve it. Redfern Allblacks were a great team in the NSW comp that didn't get much support from Souths until they decided to take them over and ruin it. They have been crap ever since. They had a Tarsha Gale team, that they dumped, thats a great one to support women's RL. The only teams that really deserved to be there on what they had done are Illawarra (St George) and Newcastle. Their original bid was so bad it could not be taken seriously.

Since the NRLW started in terms of Sydney teams not in the original 4, Parramatta and the Tigers have done so much more than clubs like Souths for Women's RL. Parra are in now and I would think Tigers will be soon.

But I think the next batch will be from outside of Sydney

siv

First Grade
Smarter to inutual inclyde clubs who have players and infrastructure in place

- Cronulla
- Souths

Who both should gave been in the original 6

Then
- Wests Tigers

No other NRL is running a team in Tier 2 at the moment

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Smarter to inutual inclyde clubs who have players and infrastructure in place

- Cronulla
- Souths

See there in lies the problem, yes they have teams in the HNWP premiership and have some intrastructure but its completely different. Yes they have a team, but because you have a team in the HNWP it means bugger all the contracts are not tied and can't be at the moment. Not only that but while Cronulla have a handful, Souths have very few players probably 1, that are of NRLW standard.

And no Souths and Cronulla did not deserve to be in the competition over everyone else. Apart from not understanding what was required to run an NRLW club, the Illawarra RL and Newcastle RL are the only areas that could claim to really deserve anything they were leaps and bounds with Women's RL ahead of everyone else.

But I guess thats the real good thing about the NRLW is that now all the districts are investing in the women's game. Although not sure about Manly

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its strange we cant afford a national reserve grade yet we think running a national womens comp is a good idea??

MugaB

Coach
Its strange we cant afford a national reserve grade yet we think running a national womens comp is a good idea??
Who wants a "National" reserve grade, reserve grade is what the current clubs have beneath them, its where the juniors are cultivated before stepping up to 1st grade, if ever... a National reserve grade serves no purpose, unless the players are promoted to 1st grade into that club... the only area that i see it done differently is Melbourne storm, sourcing from sunshine coast currently, all other reserve grade teams have a 1st grade team to aspire to... why would you have a Tasmanian reserve grade side run by the NRL? Coz thats basically what youve stated really

Perth Red

Post Whore
Who wants a "National" reserve grade, reserve grade is what the current clubs have beneath them, its where the juniors are cultivated before stepping up to 1st grade, if ever... a National reserve grade serves no purpose, unless the players are promoted to 1st grade into that club... the only area that i see it done differently is Melbourne storm, sourcing from sunshine coast currently, all other reserve grade teams have a 1st grade team to aspire to... why would you have a Tasmanian reserve grade side run by the NRL? Coz thats basically what youve stated really
I meant national as in NRL clubs reserve grade, not a pseudo one in QRL and NSWRL cup competitions. The reasoning put forward was it was too expensive to run one nationally and cheaper to be state based with some clubs just having affiliations. Yet we are going to run a comp that generates virtually no revenue nationally?

MugaB

Coach
I meant national as in NRL clubs reserve grade, not a pseudo one in QRL and NSWRL cup competitions. The reasoning put forward was it was too expensive to run one nationally and cheaper to be state based with some clubs just having affiliations. Yet we are going to run a comp that generates virtually no revenue nationally?
Are you saying my daughter cannot play 1st grade, because you want Melbourne storm to have their own reserve grade side?
PR you are sinking to a new level of low

Latest posts