What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion Team Names

mistertaylor

Juniors
Spitballing team names for potential/pipe dream expansion bids...

Central Queensland Devils
Central Queensland Crocodiles
Central Queensland Crushers
South Queensland Aces (Western Corridor)
Northern Crocs (Darwin)
South Queensland Brown Snakes (aka the Browns)
Moreton Bay Dolphins
Brothers United
Southern Saints (Adelaide)
North Island Keas (Wellington)

Last edited:

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
UTEP Miners.jpg
I been thinking on this one for the last few weeks. I was in the US a few years ago and went to watch a University Gridiron game. The local team, UTEP Miners had this as their logo. It doesn't just represent their football team but the whole sports faculty. Their stadium was also cut into the side of a mountain. It was pretty cool.

Obviously I'm not suggesting a new franchise uses this particular logo, but the idea of a miner is pretty unique. If they represented Sth QLD then maybe they could take up from the Crushers, use the Crushers colours but a miner as their badge/moniker instead of a coal train. It works also because there is a fair bit of mining in QLD and loads of FIFO workers

Just an idea.

flippikat

Bench
View attachment 36904
I been thinking on this one for the last few weeks. I was in the US a few years ago and went to watch a University Gridiron game. The local team, UTEP Miners had this as their logo. It doesn't just represent their football team but the whole sports faculty. Their stadium was also cut into the side of a mountain. It was pretty cool.

Obviously I'm not suggesting a new franchise uses this particular logo, but the idea of a miner is pretty unique. If they represented Sth QLD then maybe they could take up from the Crushers, use the Crushers colours but a miner as their badge/moniker instead of a coal train. It works also because there is a fair bit of mining in QLD and loads of FIFO workers

Just an idea.

I like it.. it ticks a lot of boxes.

* Blue and Orange (maybe with white of silver or black) are a unique set of colours in the NRL - especially if orange or silver gets most of the jersey space, thanks to the Tigers not using orange very much.

* The Crushers name is not an existing Brisbane club (no baggage there, won't alienate fans), and a nice nod to the old club - righting a wrong is a powerful narrative too.

* The miner logo/concept has a great feel about it. Crushing rocks.. yeah, doesn't get more physical than that!

If the Bombers bid rebranded to this, they'd be on the right track.

flippikat

Bench
View attachment 36904

Just an idea.

I just had a search for silver and orange jerseys and found this NFL Bengals design.

Add some blue into the mix, and it's the kinda "away" jersey that your Crushers concept could wear. Home maybe an orange dominated design (why not? Not like the Tigers use orange that much...)

KSj8KOs3R2ubo3jwXTmoJ9yjmbuCgZ2UGsXYVqzHQEWHyZhsVjKvGwVjC2BRH3wllJQZtrIdWBUqd3O7gY_pEv-qh_SrqE83jJLSRba-IK-Ht84FkFnOIAeKAHsD9IMOrdOJ20bgOYtnHJiHR0-483W_4AJkfwCiYKwyaCQaSFBrn-Tlvxg

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I have their fan jersey at home which is mainly grey with blue sleeves and orange/blue numbers. I'll take a snap of it when I'm home.

blue bags

First Grade
I just had a search for silver and orange jerseys and found this NFL Bengals design.

Add some blue into the mix, and it's the kinda "away" jersey that your Crushers concept could wear. Home maybe an orange dominated design (why not? Not like the Tigers use orange that much...)

KSj8KOs3R2ubo3jwXTmoJ9yjmbuCgZ2UGsXYVqzHQEWHyZhsVjKvGwVjC2BRH3wllJQZtrIdWBUqd3O7gY_pEv-qh_SrqE83jJLSRba-IK-Ht84FkFnOIAeKAHsD9IMOrdOJ20bgOYtnHJiHR0-483W_4AJkfwCiYKwyaCQaSFBrn-Tlvxg
EAST BRISBANE BENGALS Love it

flippikat

Bench
View attachment 36908
I took the blue out because a lot of teams use blue but not wedded to the overall colour scheme.

Nice, but I'd leave yellow for future Perth and/or Wellington clubs - besides, the Broncos, Titans & Cowboys (to a degree) all have yellow in their palette.

Any one of orange, green (there's plenty of shades that are different to Souths and the Raiders green), grey/silver, red & brown all could be major colours.

Heck, there's even scope for the shade of blue the Sharks used for their "fins" jersey in the early 2000s, now they've gone back to a lighter shade.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Had a bit more of a think on some names/logos that could be used and very few if any have them...

Krakens
Cyclones
Gorillas
Admirals
Warlocks
Beasts

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
utep_unifroms.0.jpg
These are the outfits for the UTEP Miners football team.

Going on @flippikat 's colour scheme idea, have the mainly orange kit with a silver/grey touch to it, or maybe Mainly orange jersey with silver & blue trim/accents, and maybe silver shorts with orange and blue accents. Alternate jersey could be mainly silver and still keep the sliver shorts.

EAST BRISBANE BENGALS Love it

ATTN prospective East Brisbane fans...

I’ve followed the Cincinnati Bengals ever since I saw Superbowl 16 as a kid in the early 80’s.

They lost that game, lost another Superbowl a few years later... and the last time they actually won a playoff game...

Bob Hawke was still prime minister
Alan Border was still the Australian cricket captain
Mal Meninga was Australia’s Rugby League Captain
The Toyota Land Cruiser first went on sale in Australia
Lisa Curry won a gold medal at the Auckland Commonwealth Games.
Josh Dugan was born

So......

Save yourselves.... anything but Bengals..

Name / logo

Murder Crow
Conspiracy Raven
Unkindness Raven
Quiver Cobras
Crash Rhinos
Bask crocodiles
Fever Stingrays
Business Flies
Scourge Mosquitoes

B words

Buzz
Battle
Brutes
Blitz
Blitzkrieg (tank logo)
Blowies
Blow Flies

blue bags

First Grade
Bengals is a cool name, but it'd be pretty silly to have the Tigers and the Bengals in the same competition.
why, both teams are tigers, have been for decades, more so,
there are 2 seagull teams in QLD CUP

there is 2 MAGPIES teams in NSW cup

what about the BRISBANE BANDICOOTS , or NUMBATS lol

T-Boon

Coach
View attachment 36904

Just an idea.

I like the idea. One of my favourite college teams is the Purdue Boilermakers. They aren't a very good team but it is a great university where a lot of the astronauts studied and I love the name Boilermakers.
Another good name would be the Mechanics. Very manly.