What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion Team Names

greenBV4

Bench
Is anybody else warming to the idea of the Titans partially shifting to Brisbane. We could wait around for ever for an actual expansion team to be done perfectly.

If done right, it would work long term (with short term pain).
Keep the badge and name but re-jig it to be more unique and Queensland'ish. Example: call them the South Queensland Crimson Titans and get rid of all the blue. Same badge but colours of Red and Yellow.

Keep 4 games per year on the Gold Coast which I think is plenty.
I don't think the people of Brisbane want to support the Titans though, unless they already would. Its not a big enough move to make much of a difference anyway, they would still be a gold coast club that plays some games in Brisbane. Plus all it would do is shoot any potential (Actual) Brisbane 2 bid in the foot.

With the highways and travel time improving they could focus more on the NSW north coast, that large RL area is all apart of the Titans catchment and with the right incentives (and a bit of success on the field) they could gain a lot more supporters from there then they currently do.

Given that C19 means we aren't going to 17 teams any time soon I think it should happen.

If a bid had the right backers and a good plan in place it wouldn't necessarily cost the NRL any more money when you balance the revenue it would bring in. Charge a bid fee to cover the set up costs and to ensure the owners are invested in the clubs success off the field.

T-Boon

Coach
I don't think the people of Brisbane want to support the Titans though, unless they already would. Its not a big enough move to make much of a difference anyway, they would still be a gold coast club that plays some games in Brisbane. Plus all it would do is shoot any potential (Actual) Brisbane 2 bid in the foot.

I agree, not branded the way they are anyway.
But even then, all you need is for people to be willing to attend Suncorp to watch them. Which I think they would, I think a slightly rebranded Titans could get 15k crowds to Suncorp in the first few years.

greenBV4

Bench
I agree, not branded the way they are anyway.
But even then, all you need is for people to be willing to attend Suncorp to watch them. Which I think they would, I think a slightly rebranded Titans could get 15k crowds to Suncorp in the first few years.
But if the Titans werent a basket case on the field they would probably average 15k anyway

I think they already take a game or 2 to Suncorp, maybe they could take more, but I don't think the NRL should give up on yet another GC club, the crap the club gets is usually an overreaction anyway as there other other clubs in just as bad or worse positions that aren't the only club in the city, if they can find some success there situation will improve

T-Boon

Coach
But if the Titans werent a basket case on the field they would probably average 15k anyway

The Gold Coast Titans are never going to be able to get the sponsorship and third party contributors to be anything but a basket case. Better off moving them to Brisbane for 8 games and 4 games on the GC so that they represent the whole area.

greenBV4

Bench
The Gold Coast Titans are never going to be able to get the sponsorship and third party contributors to be anything but a basket case. Better off moving them to Brisbane for 8 games and 4 games on the GC so that they represent the whole area.
Agree to disagree I guess
Gold Coast is the 6th largest city in Australia, and third largest in RL heartland - if they could just shake their image as "losers", support and sponsorship shouldnt be a problem.

Also as long as the sun's exist (which is as long as the AFLs money pit continues flowing) the NRL will not abandon the city

Perth Red

Post Whore
First 4 years their crowds were great, even in 5th year when it started to go pear shaped for them they still avg'd over 15k. This suggests there is a decent following in the region to be had, they just need to improve on and off the field to get them back. Agreed about the challneg of corporate support though and a big concern for a Brisbane2 coming in that will soak up even more sponsors away from them. Expanding with a Brisbane2 club could see their demise. Not being a national comp doesnt help either as it leaves club fighting for local companies to back them rather than having the appeal to blue chip national companies.

T-Boon

Coach
Moving an expansion team because "maybe they will be better over there" is a dumb enough idea the NRL might do it. Lets leave the oversaturated Sydney market and mess around with the expansion sides...

The titans are the only club that seems open to a relocation to Brisbane. All other options seem decades away at this point. No Sydney team has any chance of successfully relocating to Brisbane.
I would take the bird in the hand in order to get the second Brisbane team now which is when we need it.

TheFrog

Coach
Perfect = Animal names that are uniquely relevant to the area (eg: Eels, Rabbitohs, Sea Eagles)
Actually, a rabbitoh (I would have thought rabbito) is a human, not an animal. He's the guy who used to sell dead, skinned and gutted rabbits for cooking purposes door to door early last century, like a milko. Apparently some footballers had this calling. It's a great name because it is 100% unique.

Last edited:

TheFrog

Coach
The titans are the only club that seems open to a relocation to Brisbane. All other options seem decades away at this point. No Sydney team has any chance of successfully relocating to Brisbane.
I would take the bird in the hand in order to get the second Brisbane team now which is when we need it.
They should offer it to the Penn family, playing out of Suncorp, with the Roosters taking over the peninsula. They'd be nuts to turn it down. The Ipswich and Redcliffe consortiums wouldn't be impressed though.

Actually, a rabbitoh (I would have thought rabbito) is a human, not an animal. He's the guy who used to sell dead, skinned and gutted rabbits for cooking purposes door to door early last century, like a milko. Apparently some footballers had this calling. It's a great name because it is 100% unique.

It actually started as a slur from other teams' fans as Souths players sold rabbit meat in the streets, wearing their club jumpers/jerseys, to earn cash. They'd peddle their wares, calling RABBBITTTTTOOOOOOOOO to alert/encourage customers.

These players then would turn up to play games with rabbit blood and fur on their jerseys, so those opposition fans would call RABBBITTTTTOOOOOOOOO... as insult at them. The name stuck.

I guess if Souths were establishing themselves in this era, they'd be the LOL@SOUTHS.

greenBV4

Bench
They should offer it to the Penn family, playing out of Suncorp, with the Roosters taking over the peninsula. They'd be nuts to turn it down. The Ipswich and Redcliffe consortiums wouldn't be impressed though.
Merge with Wynnum Manly? the Wynnum Manly Warringa Sea Gull Eagles ?

Theoretically though they would probably be the best fit Sydney team for a Brisbane relocation wouldn't they? Already have QLD colours, add in some green for the seagulls and just call them the Manly Sea Eagles

It has been said elsewhere numerous times, but North Sydney only became the Bears when they were sponsored by Big Bear supermarket in Neutral Bay in the 1950s. The bear logo was actually sponsorship [ long before City Ford in the 70s for the Roosters]... and the logo stayed long after the sponsorship arrangement ended.

T-Boon

Coach
It has been said elsewhere numerous times, but North Sydney only became the Bears when they were sponsored by Big Bear supermarket in Neutral Bay in the 1950s. The bear logo was actually sponsorship [ long before City Ford in the 70s for the Roosters]... and the logo stayed long after the sponsorship arrangement ended.
Never knew that. What were North Sydney before they were the Bears?

blue bags

First Grade
great idea for EAGLES , but the NORTH SYDNEY BEARS can take over the peninsula , ROOSTERS stay where they are
Merge with Wynnum Manly? the Wynnum Manly Warringa Sea Gull Eagles ?

Theoretically though they would probably be the best fit Sydney team for a Brisbane relocation wouldn't they? Already have QLD colours, add in some green for the seagulls and just call them the Manly Sea Eagles

very much like that idea , BRISBANE MANLY EAGLES

we got satchels of honey at north sydney oval, on game day, as kids

TheFrog

Coach
great idea for EAGLES , but the NORTH SYDNEY BEARS can take over the peninsula , ROOSTERS stay where they are

very much like that idea , BRISBANE MANLY EAGLES

we got satchels of honey at north sydney oval, on game day, as kids
Nothing against the Bears, but I don't think they'll move one Sydney team only to start another.