What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion Team Names

If folks insistent of a “double barrel” name for a Brisbane team is best, Ie starting with B, I did a quick search on team names around the world and thought these were the best... not all appropriate of course but some could work..

Of all, I like the idea of the Brisbane Brewers.. great link into XXXX and the Castlemaine brewery next door to the stadium..

My list...

Beasts
Billygoats
Barracudas
Brahmas
Brahmans
Barons
Black Snakes
Brown Snakes (King Browns?)
Big Red Machine
Buffalos
Boomerangs
Brewers
Battlecats
Blackhawks
Bandits
Blue Marlins
Black Marlins
Bandicoots
Boxers
Bull Sharks

And while not sports names, would there be anything more Queensland than..

The Brisbane Banana-Benders, or..
The Brisbane Bjelke-Petersens

Loose Cannon

Bench
If folks insistent of a “double barrel” name for a Brisbane team is best, Ie starting with B, I did a quick search on team names around the world and thought these were the best... not all appropriate of course but some could work..

Of all, I like the idea of the Brisbane Brewers.. great link into XXXX and the Castlemaine brewery next door to the stadium..

My list...

Beasts
Billygoats
Barracudas
Brahmas
Brahmans
Barons
Black Snakes
Big Red Machine
Buffalos
Boomerangs
Brewers
Battlecats
Blackhawks
Bandits
Blue Marlins
Black Marlins
Bandicoots
Boxers
Bull Sharks

Brisbane Bastards.

70FF52BF-32C9-46C7-BD64-AFD0867B8426.jpeg

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach

My list...

Beasts
Billygoats
Barracudas
Brahmas
Brahmans
Barons
Black Snakes
Big Red Machine
Buffalos
Boomerangs
Brewers
Battlecats
Blackhawks
Bandits
Blue Marlins
Black Marlins
Bandicoots
Boxers
Bull Sharks

Well if going off that list, and if the western corridor and bombers were to combine efforts, the best two names there are Brisbane Barons, and Brisbane Bandits, both have a jet fighter quality about them without flat out calling them the "jets" of ipswich or "bombers" which isn't a great name considering the terrorist type affiliation the name has plus AFLs Essendon, which you can have as a mascot, just not good really

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Any qld expansion club is basing their identity primarily off an anti-Broncos position.

The most obvious “f*ck you, Broncos” and a mascot that rides a horse. Its why Cowboys is so perfect for the 2nd qld team

(And trying to avoid this has always been one of the great failures of the GC clubs)
I suppose you could look at it like the Outlaws try to steal the Broncos and the Cowboys are the good guys....

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
Well if going off that list, and if the western corridor and bombers were to combine efforts, the best two names there are Brisbane Barons, and Brisbane Bandits, both have a jet fighter quality about them without flat out calling them the "jets" of ipswich or "bombers" which isn't a great name considering the terrorist type affiliation the name has plus AFLs Essendon, which you can have as a mascot, just not good really
Unfortunately there is already a Brisbane Bandits in the ABL so it could only be Barons

The Great Dane

First Grade
View attachment 36691 View attachment 36692 View attachment 36693 View attachment 36694 View attachment 36695

A simple name change, and a direct link to western corridor to me is the best combined bid that i could see
Name an Australian football team after a German ace pilot... I mean sure the Red Baron is probably the most famous ace pilot in the world, but still it's pretty random.

It'd be especially weird to name them for Manfred Von Richthofen (aka the Red Baron) when Charles Kingsford Smith (the guy on the Bombers logo and famous pilot from Brisbane) flew on the other side during the war. I don't know if they actually ever fought each other during the war, they may have, but either way it'd be very weird to name the team for the Red Baron and have a famous Australian pilot that flew for the RAF on the logo, in fact you'd probably upset quite a few people if you did that.

Sure you could just call them the Barons and take Charles Kingsford Smith off the logo, but even then the team would have to play in red or, again, it'd be pretty random.

If you really wanted to keep the ace pilot/aviation theme, then it'd be a lot easier to call them something like the Aces or Mavericks, that way you can keep Charles Kingsford Smith (which personally I think is the coolest thing about the Bombers brand) and the aviation theme without the team being called the Bombers or randomly being named for the Red Baron.

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
I had to look at that twice to check I wasn’t going mad... surely ES had their Rooster logo top right well before 95...

Then saw Sydney Roosters.. dates mix up.

The original looks great.
Yeah, I just saw that. The Eastern Suburbs and Sydney City logos are the wrong way around. Sydney City came about in 1995 and then 2000 with the Sydney Roosters.

I think they also ditched the original rooster logo because it was too close to the French RU.

For Perth, its a single syllable city - which then needs a multi-syllable name (single syllable doesn't sound good, hence Western Reds > Perth Reds. Ideally 2 syllables, but more ok enough..

So with multiple syllables starting with P we have..

2 syllables...

Pirates
Pit Bulls
Pumas
Parrots
Pythons
Phantoms (even though phonetically starts "F)
Peacocks
Penguins

3+ syllables
Pelicans
Pioneers
Predators
Piranhas
Prime-Timers

Going to Variants of Western/West Coast etc... single or multi syllable will all sound ok..

Whales
Wombats
Wallabies
Wolves
Water Rats
Warlords
Wave Riders
War Horses
Wasps
Wanderers
Wild Things
Warlocks
Wizards
Werewolves
WIldebeests

I like West Coast Wave Riders personally.. big surfing community over there...

But ultimately I'd go with Western Reds as before. I love everything about the name, logo and colours. Works perfectly for me.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
If you really wanted to keep the ace pilot/aviation theme, then it'd be a lot easier to call them something like the Aces or Mavericks, that way you can keep Charles Kingsford Smith (which personally I think is the coolest thing about the Bombers brand) and the aviation theme without the team being called the Bombers or randomly being named for the Red Baron.

Agreed, the name is dogshit, the logo is actually great (not just the Kingsford Smith, but also the 1940 Americana/Captain America 1 vibe)

Yeh, edit the name but keep that badge and Id probably be on board (That BB alliteration is overrated, drop it)

MrE_Assassin

Juniors
What about Mammoths as a team nickname? Just a random thought but could be good. Big, strong, hairy animals... sounds a lot like some NRL players... lol They could use a brown and white colour scheme, maybe with a bit of arctic blue trim. Could be cool and fairly unique.Mammoth.png

blue bags

First Grade
For Perth, its a single syllable city - which then needs a multi-syllable name (single syllable doesn't sound good, hence Western Reds > Perth Reds. Ideally 2 syllables, but more ok enough..

So with multiple syllables starting with P we have..

2 syllables...

Pirates
Pit Bulls
Pumas
Parrots
Pythons
Phantoms (even though phonetically starts "F)
Peacocks
Penguins

3+ syllables
Pelicans
Pioneers
Predators
Piranhas
Prime-Timers

Going to Variants of Western/West Coast etc... single or multi syllable will all sound ok..

Whales
Wombats
Wallabies
Wolves
Water Rats
Warlords
Wave Riders
War Horses
Wasps
Wanderers
Wild Things
Warlocks
Wizards
Werewolves
WIldebeests

I like West Coast Wave Riders personally.. big surfing community over there...

But ultimately I'd go with Western Reds as before. I love everything about the name, logo and colours. Works perfectly for me.
perth desert dingos ,,lol

wolves . wasps, wizards are ok

Penguins, pumas. pirates, vikings are cool names

Latest posts