What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion, where and when??

babyg

Juniors
Perth has the most potential to grow the game. Has to be first in. CC is more goodwill and will bring back a lot of lost supporters. I think it's the best combination.

Qld really doesn't need another team and isn't screaming out for one. If the league goes an extra FTA game on Saturday nights then yes Qld could do with some more content.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Spoken like a true New Limited lackey.

Here's the facts:
The Bears spent $ 4 million on the Gosford stadium then out $10 million+ onto the JV after it was formed. They were never broke. Just defrauded.

CC Bears brings North Shore and CC back to rugby league with a tribal connection. There is nothing more arrogant than nuffies like you and Gallop saying "stuff em, they'll just watch riugby league anyway".

Further, if you did a "criteria" now on rugby league, you would find that most clubs are struggling to survive, at best.

The game needs to rely on its heartland to prosper - and this is why the CC Bears (backed by north shore and CC) is a must.

Further, if you did a "criteria" now on rugby league, you would find that most clubs are struggling to survive, at best.

Agree with you, thats why they dont need another club in NSW

The game needs to rely on its heartland to prosper - and this is why the CC Bears (backed by north shore and CC) is a must.

We have 15 sides in heartland areas how many more would you like?
Why did you have the loweset game attendance of the year of 6k if the area is screaming out for a team?
Yes you got shafted by the Eagles and the League

Why didnt you get re-instated when souths did?

A good idea lets develop a criteria for expansion clubs, so we know where we are headed and develop one for existing clubs so that we are heading in the same direction (yes i know the club I support is prob the first that will be dumped.)

Spoken like a true New Limited lackey.

No i support rugby league. It was mismanaged by both sides and what happened should never of happened.
Until recently I believed the concept of a team on the CC was a great idea, it still is. My personal opinion is that the area is best kept for the relocation of a nsw team that either folds(bears get there team) or a team that has to relocate due to a criteria that has been established.

So how many clubs in the nsw heartland are prospering at the moment?

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Typical smartarse comments from a superleague club fan.

Why reward a club with relocation to Gosford when they can't survive on their home turf? If Cronulla are unviable again (how many times now?), then it's good bye.

As for the Bears and Souths, learn some history, you idiot.

lturner

Juniors
The best idea for any expansion is to strengthen the semi-professional tier.

Introducing more teams into the NRL dilutes the quality of the competition.

Introduce a national semi-professional 2nd division with the aim to make it full-time professional in time.

Then the NRL remains a competition for the best players and clubs, without being devalued and diluted by continued expansion.

Dragonwest

Juniors
The best idea for any expansion is to strengthen the semi-professional tier.

Introducing more teams into the NRL dilutes the quality of the competition.

Introduce a national semi-professional 2nd division with the aim to make it full-time professional in time.

Then the NRL remains a competition for the best players and clubs, without being devalued and diluted by continued expansion.

Not if expansion grows the tv cash supply and prevents the player drain to Europe. I'm sure a quality team or 2 could be named from x-nrl players paying in the Superleague.

lturner

Juniors
Not if expansion grows the tv cash supply and prevents the player drain to Europe. I'm sure a quality team or 2 could be named from x-nrl players paying in the Superleague.

There will always be another area calling out for a team. Have a look at the way teams have come and go every decade from the comp. There is no ideal set of teams which is just around the corner.

What do you do, keep adding a couple every 5 years until theres 20 or 30 teams? And nothing underneath?

We should look at what other sports do. Soccer in Europe has divisions. In the US all the professional leagues sit above the college leagues which are massive.

_MayMoo 2

Juniors
There will always be another area calling out for a team. Have a look at the way teams have come and go every decade from the comp. There is no ideal set of teams which is just around the corner.

What do you do, keep adding a couple every 5 years until theres 20 or 30 teams? And nothing underneath?

We should look at what other sports do. Soccer in Europe has divisions. In the US all the professional leagues sit above the college leagues which are massive.

Please tell me the other area (other than the CC), that:

:Adjoins the traditional territory of a foundation club

:Has a state of the art ready to use stadium

:Is a league heartland

:Has a catchment of almost 1m people including thousands of fans crying our for their own team and or waiting for the reinstatement of a traditional club they have followed all their lives, and can pass onto their kids etc.

:Has a strong NRL bid, getting stronger by the day, that includes allready siged up multi-million dollar sposorships.

If this isn't one of your so-called ideal teams, then your definition of ideal differs greatly from mine.

Perth Red

Post Whore
From our bid we have the fan base, we have the start of good local player production, we have a pop of 1.8million and we have a new market for Eastern States sponsors and media to be seen in.

Where we still have work to do is in getting MES upgraded, getting a sponsorship deal signed up for when we do get the nod and finally the toughest which is convincing the NRL to convince the TV companies that having Perth is worth $'s to them.

I think if we can tick the financial sustainability box then we are in without a doubt when the time comes. Fingers crossed I win the $30mill at the weekend!

Please tell me the other area (other than the CC), that:

:Adjoins the traditional territory of a foundation club

:Has a state of the art ready to use stadium

:Is a league heartland

:Has a catchment of almost 1m people including thousands of fans crying our for their own team and or waiting for the reinstatement of a traditional club they have followed all their lives, and can pass onto their kids etc.

:Has a strong NRL bid, getting stronger by the day, that includes allready siged up multi-million dollar sposorships.

If this isn't one of your so-called ideal teams, then your definition of ideal differs greatly from mine.

Where do the 1 million people come from? CC has about 300k where are the rest?

Why do we need to only expand into a heartland area?

_MayMoo 2

Juniors
Where do the 1 million people come from? CC has about 300k where are the rest?

Why do we need to only expand into a heartland area?

I was responding to lTurners post, I never said we need to only expand into a heartland.

Re the 1mil, this a a combined catchment of the Central Coast Region and the adjoining North Shore of Sydney.

Dragonwest

Juniors

Divisions will not work, Australian's refuse to follow competitions that are not considered the top grade. It's the very reason behind the A leagues low following.

We don't need 20 or 30 teams, We are not far off a good balance of teams. Add in Perth & CC in 2013. Perth bringings in national exposure and new juniour catchment to grow. CC bring back North Sydney corporate backing and covers a large junior catchment.

Then over the next 5 year put the heat on existing Sydney clubs to grow their membership or face relocation to Queensland to correct the club to state ratio.

_MayMoo 2

Juniors
thanks

Isnt manly in between the CC and the north shore?

No,

Manly Warringah (Northern Beaches) is a peninsula to the right, or eastern side of the North Shore, The North Shore extends friom Milsons Point up to approx the Hawksbury, where it meets the Central Coast region.

There is a pretty good map that is on the CC Bears website, I cant upload as I have less that 20 posts.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
No,

Manly Warringah (Northern Beaches) is a peninsula to the right, or eastern side of the North Shore, The North Shore extends friom Milsons Point up to approx the Hawksbury, where it meets the Central Coast region.

There is a pretty good map that is on the CC Bears website, I cant upload as I have less that 20 posts.

You could've just posted the link.

http://www.centralcoastbears.com.au/community.html

Perth Red

Post Whore
No wonder Manly can't attract crowds if that is the extent of their catchment area.

How many people from the "North Shore" will travle to Gosford to see the CC Bears I wonder? those few thousand Bears fans left in sydney might give the other clubs a bit of an attendance boost when they are playing the Bears i guess?

No,

There is a pretty good map that is on the CC Bears website, I cant upload as I have less that 20 posts

Thanks for the info.

Latest posts