What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion, where and when??

Fui!!!

Juniors
why perth?? i havent heard cries from the ppl of perth wanting a rl team. would be like the gws AFL team getting plonked in ws by the AFL (i was being sarcastic in my previous post if people here are that think....)

:iwstupid:

Highway1

Juniors
why perth?? i havent heard cries from the ppl of perth wanting a rl team. would be like the gws AFL team getting plonked in ws by the AFL (i was being sarcastic in my previous post if people here are that think....)

:roll: piss off to bigfooty where delusion is name of the game, its obvious that you can't post anything that will be a good read.

Highway1

Juniors
Tool, who the hell in the Gold Coast wants an AFL team, didnt that friggin Premier get a voter backlash because she devoted millions to Cararra?

And I live in WS, its not that we dont want and AFL side, no one here watches AFL to even want one.

In the mean time, we have Perth, the CC, Central Qld and Wellington starting up their own bid, where as the AFL GC and GWS sides have been developed and entirely funded by the AFL itself.

I second that, As a resident living in Brisbane, I can confirm that the Carrara redevelopment proposal wasn't a vote winner, 6/9 seats on the Gold Coast were won by LNP.

Talk about bids, the CQnrl bid has more fans on facebook than the GCAFL team, and thats with CQ not being guaranteed admission into nrl!

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Expansion, where and when??

Perth WA.

ASAP

Without opening this thread and reading the ratings one, I immediately thought this. Perth is MUST.

I know so many people in Perth that love league. It would do gangbusters if set up correctly. A team there would see viewership skyrocket

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Perth, if done properly, after about 5 years could be as successful as the Gold Coast are now. And I think thats a reasonable goal. With the ultimate goal of being as strong as Brisbane.

Ali's Choice

Juniors
Perth, if done properly, after about 5 years could be as successful as the Gold Coast are now. And I think thats a reasonable goal. With the ultimate goal of being as strong as Brisbane.

I think you are being niave if you think Rugby League can be as popular in Perth as it is on the GC in just 5 years.

The Gold Coast and hinterland is Rugby League heartland. RL is played right across this region, at school and club level. I'd be interested to hear what the participation rates are for RL in Perth, but I'd hazard a guess at saying they'd be tiny in comparison to Queensland's SE corner. You can't simply transplant a team into a non-RL environment and look for quick success. Look what has happened in Melbourne, 3 premierships yet the grass roots of the game has barely grown in Melbourne at all during that time.

That is why I believe the NRL, if it wanted to expand (and I don't think it should just yet) should look at a South Brisbane/Logan or Wellington. In both these areas there is already a support base, and RL infrastructure which would only grow with an NRL team being based in that area.

bobmar28

Bench
10 or 11 years ago, rugby league's necxt big move was all about teh Central Coast. It was the growth area, rugby league heartland, even that idiot Gallop was saying "fish where the fish are".

The Bears were lied to about NSO and told to relocate, cotributing millions to teh stadium etc etc.

Since then, suddenly Gold Coast is the new expansion area, and now you question CC etc etc.

It's these sort of approaches that confirm that rugby league is run by dinosaurs and agenda - and it makes other codes laugh at us.

AFL have a massive challenge to establsih a new GWS team and a Gold Coast team - but they're prepared to put up the fight.

The CC Bears continues a fight after over a decade but Gallop, CRL, club CEO's are all fighting against pure logic and making every excuse against a CC Bears team.

It makes rugby league look so amateurish - the childish, greedy behaviour that soccer and AFL stopped doing years ago.

I say no to CC. Expansion means expansion, not another team in NSW which already has 10. The only way CC should get a team is through relocation of a Sydney team.

bobmar28

Bench
Difference between RL and AFL expansion:

People of WEST SYDNEY and GOLD COAST want an AFL team
. FACT.
People of PERTH and CENTRAL COAST don't want an NRL team there either. NRL forces teams on new locations and pretends they are rugby league areas when they are really yawnion/AFL Heartland. FACT.

You're dreaming.

I think you are being niave if you think Rugby League can be as popular in Perth as it is on the GC in just 5 years.

The Gold Coast and hinterland is Rugby League heartland. RL is played right across this region, at school and club level. I'd be interested to hear what the participation rates are for RL in Perth, but I'd hazard a guess at saying they'd be tiny in comparison to Queensland's SE corner. You can't simply transplant a team into a non-RL environment and look for quick success. Look what has happened in Melbourne, 3 premierships yet the grass roots of the game has barely grown in Melbourne at all during that time.

That is why I believe the NRL, if it wanted to expand (and I don't think it should just yet) should look at a South Brisbane/Logan or Wellington. In both these areas there is already a support base, and RL infrastructure which would only grow with an NRL team being based in that area.

Melbourne is a prime example of how not to create a team but it has been successful on and off the field, it makes its owners good money through pay tv subscriptions and has the third largest expenditure of any Australian rl club. the u/20 side this year mainly comprised of local juniors and made the grand final (not sure about the result) they will have a locally based nswrl team this year. Will be playing out of a new stadium this year which will do wonders to their crowds. All this while being shown on fta at awful hours of the morning. Not to bad in 10 odd years.

So could be as successful as GC in 5 years more than likely, it has a juniour base and intersest in the game, it also has 3 times the population base of th GC ( 5 times bigger than the CC or wellington) 3 of the 4 professional teams(football) in perth make a profit, they had 15k turn up for a game last year (the GC would of only beat that previously twice against the broncos 22k and manly 16k.) But i guess it depends on what you define successful as.
Is it succesful because in brings us a potential 1.5m new supporters?
Is it succesful because it allows us to charge more for sponsorship?

But from 2013 we should be in every expansion area possible
eg Team in perth and SEQ
6 games played in Adelaide, CC, Wellington and Christchurch
And be on fta nationally in primetime

Slackboy72

Coach
Melbourne is a prime example of how not to create a team but it has been successful on and off the field, it makes its owners good money through pay tv subscriptions and has the third largest expenditure of any Australian rl club. the u/20 side this year mainly comprised of local juniors and made the grand final (not sure about the result) they will have a locally based nswrl team this year. Will be playing out of a new stadium this year which will do wonders to their crowds. All this while being shown on fta at awful hours of the morning. Not to bad in 10 odd years.

So could be as successful as GC in 5 years more than likely, it has a juniour base and intersest in the game, it also has 3 times the population base of th GC ( 5 times bigger than the CC or wellington) 3 of the 4 professional teams(football) in perth make a profit, they had 15k turn up for a game last year (the GC would of only beat that previously twice against the broncos 22k and manly 16k.) But i guess it depends on what you define successful as.
Is it succesful because in brings us a potential 1.5m new supporters?
Is it succesful because it allows us to charge more for sponsorship?

But from 2013 we should be in every expansion area possible
eg Team in perth and SEQ
6 games played in Adelaide, CC, Wellington and Christchurch
And be on fta nationally in primetime

Is it really that successful when it loses $6m a year?

You need to look at the big picture
Ok so the storm loses 6m a year.
The storm are owned by News Ltd which provides pay tv to melboure.
Do yo realise that they only need somewhere between 5000-10000 subscriptions from melbourne to make a profit
For arguement sake say pay tv costs you 100/m or 1200pa
6m/1200 = 5000
so is it a success i would say so

Last edited:

Jankuloski

Juniors
They lose 6 mil because they can. Imagine you could spend 6000 dollars over your pay, and you would know that your mother would give you that money if you need it - would you spend 6000 dollars over your pay? Any responsible business would.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
You need to look at the big picture
Ok so the storm loses 6m a year.
The storm are owned by News Ltd which provides pay tv to melboure.
Do yo realise that they only need somewhere between 5000-10000 subscriptions from melbourne to make a profit
For arguement sake say pay tv costs you 100/m or 1200pa
6m/1200 = 5000
so is it a success i would say so

If the Storm cannot be self-sufficient after more than a decade with a few premierships in a soprt-mad state, then I call this a rank failure.

The NRL has proven they are anti-expansion because they don;t want to pay any further monies. Their pure interest is flogging PayTV and the Storm have reached their ceiling for subscriptions now.

Mate - you're a great News Limited advocate. How long you been working there?

Goddo

Bench
Is it really that successful when it loses $6m a year?

Yes if they generate $20m each year for the NRL (I don't know what they are worth to the game but it would be something like this). Why do you think AFL is coming to Sydney? Building a club with a large supporter base is not it. its milking as much advertising dollars as they can.

But it would be nice if it was a strong club, so the NRL would make its $20m from advertising in a new state, and the club were run at a profit. I think a Perth side would be more like this than the Storm.

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
Ronny - what do you reckon jersey sponsors would prefer ( and more importantly pay more for);

- Coverage in Melbourne
- Coverage in Central Coast ( which they get anyway..)

If the Storm cannot be self-sufficient after more than a decade with a few premierships in a soprt-mad state, then I call this a rank failure.
You only say this because you cant or refuse to see the bigger picture.
If you were given a blank cheque to run a football team would you spend as little as you could, or what ever it take to be successful.
The storm have been done no favours by the league or channel 9 in promoting the game in victoria.
Guess you think the almost 1m people that watched the grand final in melbourne were just on the wrong channel.
By flooging pay tv subsciptions they actually make money if they didnt they wouldnt still be around and News Ltd wouldnt want them to survive.
Sure i work on the phones at foxtel, give us a call and i will hook you up and rupert said to say hi!

Ali's Choice

Juniors
You only say this because you cant or refuse to see the bigger picture.
If you were given a blank cheque to run a football team would you spend as little as you could, or what ever it take to be successful.
The storm have been done no favours by the league or channel 9 in promoting the game in victoria.
Guess you think the almost 1m people that watched the grand final in melbourne were just on the wrong channel.
By flooging pay tv subsciptions they actually make money if they didnt they wouldnt still be around and News Ltd wouldnt want them to survive.
Sure i work on the phones at foxtel, give us a call and i will hook you up and rupert said to say hi!

So using your rationale. no NRL club needs to be financially sufficient so long as the money attracted by TV rights covers their losses?