What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion, where and when??

Slackboy72

Coach
Yeah look you guys can scream 'expansion', 'Perth' and 'Bears' all summer but it isn't going to change the fact that only two clubs are profitable at the moment and noone who matters is going to agree to taking a smaller slice of a ridiculously small pie when the return on equity for the code as a whole is still negative.

Bro Bear

Juniors
There maybe the majority of NRL teams in NSW. But who wants their Sydney based team to relocate. No one. NSW Country has only two sides - Newcastle and Canberra. If clubs are broke and it is more profitable to move then thet should be told too. e.g. Roosters to WA, Manly to QLD, Cronulla to Brisbane, Bulldogs to Adelaide. Now we have bugger all teams in NSW where the heartland is. Now lets hear those supporters screaming blue murder. Thats is why these areas should have a relationship with an existing club. The game needs new teams - there is no reason why the Central Coast should not be the new team. The NSW Cup competiton needs more promotion by that usless group NSWRL as does the QLD Cup which the QRL at least promoted. Bring in more teams into these comps should be the first stepping stone for expansion.

More news from Gallop - he knows about vision and direction :sarcasm:

Keep the faith: Gallop

Express Advocate 18 Dec 09 @ 07:04am by EMMA Herd

IT’S at least 18 months before the question of a Central Coast-based NRL team will be revisited but fans are urged to continue voting with their feet at next season’s Gosford fixtures and beyond.

Five big games have been locked in to Bluetongue Stadium. They include three Newcastle Knights away games.

NRL boss David Gallop told the Express Advocate on Wednesday crowds would be taken into account when the sport’s governing body re-examines the prospect of expansion in 18 months’ time.

Gallop hoped the five top-class matches at Gosford would be “some consolation” for Central Coast rugby league fans.

“Importantly we’ll continue to have a number of games played on the coast,” Gallop said.

“It continues to provide rugby league fans with an opportunity to vote with their feet and remind us of the game’s following in the area.”

He said the NRL had always been “sympathetic to the plight of the Central Coast but the business model doesn’t currently support expansion.”

But Gallop said when it did, the Central Coast would be one of the leading contenders, as well as a second Brisbane team, Perth and Adelaide.

“It’s not only about viability in the district but also about the strategic growth of the game,” he said.

Gallop confirmed he had been keeping in close contact with the Central Coast Bears and had offered them assistance, without giving them the certainty of inclusion at a specific time.

He envisaged expansion would be examined again in mid-2011.

“We’ll be closer to the renegotiation (of television rights) and we’ll have a better picture of the overall landscape.”

The first of the three Newcastle Knights away games in 2010 will be a round three clash with Manly on March 27.

South Sydney then hosts Newcastle at Gosford in round five, before the Knights tackle the Roosters in round 10.

The Sharks travel up the freeway to host the Bulldogs in round 17, before Manly play a home game against Wests Tigers in round 20.

The schedule was described as “brilliant” by Bluetongue Stadium managing director Monique Marks.

“Any of those Sydney NRL clubs have so many supporters up here and they know they have to look after this area,” Marks said.

There will also be an NRL trial match in February, with details to be released in the New Year.

So Sydney and Newcaste sides once use the Central Coast because their own supporters will not support them.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Clear that the Knights are trying to muscle in and get Gosford on board as part if its region, not a bad thing. NSW is saturated, when clubs are having to take games to other heartland cities to make money you know that there isn't enough $'s in Sydney to run 9 $20mill operations.

Thing I hate about NRL is the way it continually reacts to TV rather than positioning itself to tell Tv what it wants. Expansion should be about what's best for the NRL over the next 30 years, not if the Tv company will deem us worthy to throw a few million extra our way so we can expand.

In Perth we should have a 5 year plan for getting the city ready for its NRL launch season, not mid 2011 decide who might or might not get in for 2013.

ps I hope they get more than the sub 9,000 crowd they got on the CC last game, better hope there is no monster trucks on!

dimitri

First Grade
wasnt perth a dismal failure last time

i think we need another 3 teams in brisbane. bring back newtown

I dont believe Perth was a dismal failure at all.

NEWS Ltd only withdrew funding because they were desperate for a Melbourne team.

The Reds had juniors, decent crowds etc, until SL came along and all the fans got the sh!ts and stopped coming.

"
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Unfortunately what eventuated almost sent the Crushers to extinction - falling crowds, poor on-field performances and a debilitating financial crisis hung over the club. The Crushers were undoubtedly victims of circumstance notwithstanding their lack-lustre premiership results - the Super League war had sent player payments rocketing skyward while the game's fans began to turn their back on RL. The Crushers average home crowd dropped to 13,000 leaving a gaping hole in the club's projected earnings."[/FONT]​

Bro Bear

Juniors
People on the Coast want their own team not the Roosters, Newcastle, Cronulla or Manly. Crowds are down because we are sick of being used by the NRL and some of its teams. We want the Bears and our own team..

ashton

Juniors
People on the Coast want their own team not the Roosters, Newcastle, Cronulla or Manly. Crowds are down because we are sick of being used by the NRL and some of its teams. We want the Bears and our own team..
And they don't want the North Sydney bears either.

Dragon_Taylor6

Juniors
Central coast got some decent crowds this year.

29-Mar-2009 Souths v Newcastle -- 15227

24-Jul-2009 Manly v Newcastle -- 15857

Pj,Rj,Hj

Juniors
When people say sent so and so team to Perth, Adelaide etc. I wonder who I could accept in Perth.
If a team was to relocate to Perth, I could warm to Manly or Easts, maybe Cronulla. Else I'd want a totally new Perth team. I have no love for Souths. All the other clubs in Sydney I can't see going anywhere, though I'd accept St George or Parra.
That being said, many Perth people have their NRL team and would related entirely different to me in regards to a relocation. I may be well off but I think the most 'supported' teams in Perth are St George, Souths, Melbourne and Brisbane.

Hypothetically if Manly moved to Perth, they would probably find themselves in a battle with the West Coast Eagles over the mascot. Naming was the reason West Coast is called as such rather than Perth to avoid trouble with the older Perth Demons WAFL club.

smithie

Juniors
I love the idea of a second team playing out of Suncorp Stadium.

My question is, what should the team be named as far as location is concerned?

West Brisbane ?????
North Brisbane ?????
South Brisbane ?????
Ipswich Jets/?????
Logan Brothers/?????
Brisbane City ?????
South Queensland Crushers
or simply the Brisbane ?????

I like the idea of the Brisbane ?????. There are many teams sharing the one city around the world. e.g. New York Giants/Jets, L.A. Lakers/Clippers, Manchester United/City, etc..

I don't think the people of Ipswich or Logan would want their team to play out of Brisbane.

Blind Freddy

Juniors
on avg 4.3% of the central coast turn up for games.

Being ultra generous here on avg home crowd estimates for the Broncos but 1.5 to 2.0% of Brisbane would turn up to Broncos games, and thats arguably the most passionate league heartland in the country. So whats your point?

If you wanted to open a new business you'd put one in a location where the most people would buy or use your product or service right? or consolidate the areas that would be a guarenteed success without continuous equity having to be put in?

Last edited:
saying it is good, second best behind townsville and 1.5% above sydney but is sustainable or do we go after a market where if we get a 4.3% particapation rate we get 70k turn up (in the case of perth) unrealistic yes but we only need a paticapation rate of 1.5% to have great crowds 24k compared to a 8% on the coast.

Blind Freddy

Juniors
saying it is good, second best behind townsville and 1.5% above sydney but is sustainable or do we go after a market where if we get a 4.3% particapation rate we get 70k turn up (in the case of perth) unrealistic yes but we only need a paticapation rate of 1.5% to have great crowds 24k compared to a 8% on the coast.

Well, if it were that easy then to win over 1.5-2.0% of a population to majorly support and to attend then lets sink hundred of millions of $$$ into Rugby League and set up major comps in China and India. Bugger our pissant national 20 million population, we are small fries compared to their earning potential.

Last edited:

Pj,Rj,Hj

Juniors
Interesting way of thinking about it. The Western Force pulled there lowest average this year at 17858 (no doubt will go to 20 000 when they move to the makeshift Members Equity Stadium for 2010) and that was 1.1% of Perth population. With Perth growing around 45 000 people a year, I see no reason why a league Club couldn't pull 1% of the pop and get 17500/18000 in 2013. They would be bigger than the Perth Glory who no longer seem to pull of 10 000 very much these days, they averaged .57% of the Pop last season at 9496.

As for a second Brisbane team, I see no reason why Brisbane can't mimic Perth with the success of 2 AFL teams. The Broncos average a little lower than West Coast and a little higher than Freo. Perths teams had average to bad years while the Broncos continue to see a healthy rise in average evey year since returning to Lang Park, current both over 2% of the pop to the Bronoc's 1.8% there is clearly room for more Brisbane support. It would be good for the Brisbane public and governement to have a game at Lang park each week end. The rivalry factor tend not to divide but galvanise support in the local teams in strong code areas. West Coast really didn't suffer from having Freo created. It made people choose an alegance rather than be indifferent. It would certainly help with membership drives, certainly did for West Coast an there is no reason why the Broncos can't aim for a fully ticketed season. I'm not too familiar with Brisbanes geography or traditional League areas, but where ever a second club is based, I believe you'd see crowds of 20000 against the Broncos 40000 (hopefully by 2013) and over the next decade they would even up to a 30/40 to 70/60 split. Maybe they don't need to be based anywhere specifically, they could just base themselves centrally and soak up the people who don't like the Broncos regargless of geography, certainly make sense in justifying them playing from Lang Park which is the only place they'd play.

Last edited:
thats the thing we already have almost 1% in both perth and adelaide.
Now if we could get 1% of those countries to watch our game that would be great, get a cut of the gambling rights in india and we will be laughing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
3 out of 4 of the footy codes are expanding prior to their next Tv negotions. one out of the four is waiting to let the TV deal dictate any expansion. Either Gallop and the News/ARL board are geniuses where the other 3 codes are dunces or we are being run by frickwits with no idea and the other 3 codes proactive plan will reap them dividends. Time will tell I guess?

I love the idea of a second team playing out of Suncorp Stadium.

My question is, what should the team be named as far as location is concerned?

West Brisbane ?????
North Brisbane ?????
South Brisbane ?????
Ipswich Jets/?????
Logan Brothers/?????
Brisbane City ?????
South Queensland Crushers
or simply the Brisbane ?????

I like the idea of the Brisbane ?????. There are many teams sharing the one city around the world. e.g. New York Giants/Jets, L.A. Lakers/Clippers, Manchester United/City, etc..

I don't think the people of Ipswich or Logan would want their team to play out of Brisbane.

In Sydney, theres a street out near Fairfield that hasn't got a team. Smith street? That'd be each and every street if you put a team there.

Come on Sydney, how many more can you cram in? Impress us!

You could put the pokies by phone boxes, and sell liqueur from an alleyway. Overheads would be down as the local council could pay for electricity (street lights). Casual passers by can be conned to provide service for pocket change.

Oh and for those beating drums about expansion, I do believe its not on the cards because of one important point - we have no extra money.

So get real people. This issue has been done to death, but the fairfield option is a cheapy.....and thats better value than cronulla at the moment!

Fui!!!

Juniors
WA Reds and CC Bears should be the next 2 at the start of the 2013 season.

Then, a second Brisbane team and a Adelaide team in 2017.

Then, Wellington and a Sunshine Coast team in 2021.

and finally Rockhampton and Pacific Islands (3 home games in each PNG, Tonga, Fiji and Samoa) in 2025.

And that should just about do it till 2035.

Then we might be able to look at un-merging the Dragons and the Tigers. And possibly look at a 2nd Melbourne team and a Hobart team. And maybe even a Darwin team and a second Perth team. And then a 3rd Brisbane team and a Cairns team.

Latest posts