What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion, where and when??

Perth Red

Post Whore
WA Reds and CC Bears should be the next 2 at the start of the 2013 season.

Then, a second Brisbane team and a Adelaide team in 2017.

Then, Wellington and a Sunshine Coast team in 2021.

and finally Rockhampton and Pacific Islands (3 home games in each PNG, Tonga, Fiji and Samoa) in 2025.

And that should just about do it till 2035.

Then we might be able to look at un-merging the Dragons and the Tigers. And possibly look at a 2nd Melbourne team and a Hobart team. And maybe even a Darwin team and a second Perth team. And then a 3rd Brisbane team and a Cairns team.

I like your thinking but its taken us 100 years to expand into one new area!

Fui!!!

Juniors
I like your thinking but its taken us 100 years to expand into one new area!

:lol: That's true... but if the NRL really wanted to they could do it. TV Rights could earn them heaps.

The NRL finals were fairly successful in the USA. If they sold Origin and Finals separately they could make heaps from international markets. Especially Origin.

Hypothetical:
If there were 24 clubs in 2025 and the salary cap was $8 million. The lowest earning club (through membership etc) could earn $10 million on their own (hopefully by then). $1 million for junior development, $2 million for 2 marquee players (if the NRL introduces it), $1.5 million for staff, $500K for other expenses.

That would leave $5 million for the lowest payed club. The NRL could give each club $3 million dollars a year to make the salary cap achievable.

$3 million x 24 clubs = $72 million per year. The NRL could make HEAPS more than that per year from TV, Advertising, Internet etc. They would still have heaps of money for growing the grassroots. AND enough to put away for a rainy day.

Time for me to stop dreaming now :D

But seriously, every major successful business has a master plan. The NRL really need to make one with input from fans. A 20 year master plan to at least let us know their plans for the game.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Gallops plan is to wait until mid 2011 before thinking about anything!

He envisaged expansion would be examined again in mid-2011.

“We’ll be closer to the renegotiation (of television rights) and we’ll have a better picture of the overall landscape.”

why do they keep mentioning Adelaide for expansion next? It is at least a decade away from being ready.

In positive news for RL in WA teh WARL have just announced a new chairman. A well respected businessman and chair of some big charity events in the city. Has lots of good top end of town contacts which could prove very useful.

At the WARL AGM this week it was voted to expand the Board of Management. In view of the increased requirements, governance and the impending NRL team development, the current Board believed this should be increased. It will provide a better opportunity for the balance and expertise needed for the WARL moving forward.
Terry Creasey who was nominated to the Board was elected Chairman. His CV is expansive and brings with him a solid background in business, marketing and sports administration. He originally came from Sydney and has played with Parramatta (not quite at first grade) and represented NSW at schoolboy level.

Last edited:

mightybears

Bench
6232Sydney Roosters v Gold Coast Titans Grahame 13-Jun-2009
8412Sydney Roosters v Melbourne Grahame 11-May-2009
Campared to
8547Cronulla v North Queensland Hindmarsh 19-Apr-2009

So the central coast that is screaming for a team cant get more people to turn up than a city that most suggest has no interest at all in league.
Actually the crowd avg for the rams is just under that of grahame stadium.

you 'selected' games from the large number of gosford games to make a near useless point.

Bro Bear

Juniors
And they don't want the North Sydney bears either.

If it wasn't for the North Sydney Bears there will be no chance for a Central Coast team. We need the corporate culture of the North Shore. It is vital to our bid. If it wasn't for the Bears there would be no stadium at all in Gosford which is a big plus. Playing one game at NSO a year is a big plus also and I can't whinge about one home game being played away. Many old Bears fans will go to the NSO for this clash. They will go to the games at Gosford which will bost the local economy. Combining the North Shore and Central Coast is a huge catchment of supporters, juniors and sponsors. The Coast will never get its own team by itelf. The CCRL will not make a bid and no other Coast entity is making a bid. It is only the Bears and they are been attempting to move to Gosford since 1999.. Yes it would be great if a lone Central Coast entity made a bid but who is and will. I don't want to wait for the Sharks or some other NRL club to come up here FT after they are in ruins. I can live with the Bears and I can't wait for them to be the Central Coast team. Who else apart from the Bears is making a bid for the Central Coast. No-one it is the Bears doing all the work. They have good sponsors already and many Central Coast businesses are getting on board the bid. If the Bears don't make a move to be the Coast''s team which was their intentions back in 1999 then we will never have a NRL team. Remember at this stage Perth and CQLD are making bids. Also, it looks like a PNG bid and a second Brisbane team will happen.

Last edited:
Central queenland and Png are stupid ideas, if we goto either in the next 30 years we have nfi ( and by the way I lived in png for 4 years so i know whats its like)

you 'selected' games from the large number of gosford games to make a near useless point.

no i selected games from this year to make my point, how many people will turn up when they have 12 games to go to.

The lowest attendance of any game this season was at an area that says they are ready to have a team

Jankuloski

Juniors
Considering you are alive and well, you just contradicted your own point on PNG. What is it with this fear over PNG?

They don't need travelling supporters to fill up the stadium, you can train a camera crew from Papuans (which is what every possible network does when shooting in PNG), and you would need to secure a minimal number of outside players as well as the visiting team. We've seen this done when they play aus or PMXIII in Moresby.

They have other issues - they don't have a stadium or the infrastructure, but if they are serious about it they can fix that, probably not by 2013, but 2018.

Just don't go with "they can't have a team 'cause I've been there and I know what it's like" - it's not Vietnam!

Parraletic

Juniors
Send the Sharks to Wellington NZ, move Manly to Brisbane & bring in the Central Coast Bears & WA Reds. That's my NRL dream.

Considering you are alive and well, you just contradicted your own point on PNG. What is it with this fear over PNG?

They don't need travelling supporters to fill up the stadium, you can train a camera crew from Papuans (which is what every possible network does when shooting in PNG), and you would need to secure a minimal number of outside players as well as the visiting team. We've seen this done when they play aus or PMXIII in Moresby.

They have other issues - they don't have a stadium or the infrastructure, but if they are serious about it they can fix that, probably not by 2013, but 2018.

Just don't go with "they can't have a team 'cause I've been there and I know what it's like" - it's not Vietnam!

I may have been over zealous with my 30 year statement and dont believe a long term plan to get png into the nrl is at all wrong. Let them start small and spend 10-15 years in the q cup.

But we need to expand within australia and nz first and get our house in order.

Still believe CQ is not a viable option

Ali's Choice

Juniors
IMO, there are only two genuine expansion options.

1. A second Brisbane team: based in South Brisbane/Logan. They could play at Suncorp, Skilled or even the Gabba.

2. Wellington: Based at the Caketin. Rugby League has a strong base in the Hutt Valley. Moreover this is a region where many Rugby players are forced to move elsewhere in the country to get a S14 contract. A Rugby League team could enjoy the talents of some of these players, especially as most of these would have played League at some stage as youngsters.

Personally, I think the NRL should consolidate the current teams before even thinking of adding new teams.

CHRIS SANDOW

Juniors
How is the central coast going to survive if newcastle is struggling with a bigger population????????

The most logical expansion team would be another team in Brisbane.
Sydney has over 4 million people with nine teams and brisbane has under 2 million with just one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
go figure!!

How is the central coast going to survive if newcastle is struggling with a bigger population????????

The most logical expansion team would be another team in Brisbane.
Sydney has over 4 million people with nine teams and brisbane has under 2 million with just one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
go figure!!

But that is one of the main reasons the broncos are so successful off the field

Jankuloski

Juniors
Rivalries sometimes do good(Hull FC v KR), but there is also a chance they just split the existing broncos fans. Good marketing anlysis would reveal weather new ppl would get interested with the concept.

Anecdotally - that doesn't mean that you just "hate the Broncos". One person on this forum even said that they go to Broncos game to support the other team. Businesses don't care if you buy their product because you like them or because you hate them.

Bro Bear

Juniors
From some Brisbane locals I know -Brisbane Broncos are dead set against another Brisbane team in the NRL and will block any attempt for another Brisbane team to enter the NRL.

As for the Central Coast their population is growing all the time. Majority of the locals are league fans and will support a team of their own. Many North Shore supporters will support the team and other fans that have been lost to the game e.g Wests and Balmain supporters who have no interest in Wests Tigers.

The true Manly football fans will enhance a derby that gets the blood flowing. I cannot forget the 41-8 floging we gave to Manly and at the moment I just want another Bears vs Manly derby in the NRL. A Bears vs Newcastle will also be a huge game (if the Knights get through the Wicks drugs drama - any more Knights players involve then it could have major problems for the club)

I am not doubting the fact there are some very passionate supporters on the CC, I am doubting whether there is enough of you. If it was still the NSWRL I could not find fault with a CC team but while we only reach just over 50% of australia I do not see the strategic value of a CC side.

Latest posts