What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion - Your prefered locations

Which teams would you like to see in the NRL? Pick 2 options

• Perth (Reds)

Votes: 132 64.1%
  • Adelaide (Rams)

Votes: 20 9.7%
  • Hobart (Twinkle Toes)

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Second Victorian Team

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Wellington (Orcas)

Votes: 43 20.9%
  • Ipswitch/Logan

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • Sunshine Coast/North Brisbane

Votes: 43 20.9%
  • Rockhampton/Central Queensland

Votes: 9 4.4%
  • Port Morsby/PNG

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • Central Coast (Bears)

Votes: 66 32.0%
  • Coffs Harbour/New England/North NSW

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Expansion? There are too many teams now

Votes: 9 4.4%

• Total voters

Goddo

Bench
Pretty simple. Where would you put two teams? Tasmanian Twinkle Toes is good as three T's and reflects the gene pool down there. Appologies to the League loving people of Ipswich at miss-spelling the city name.

REALISTIC 2013 EXPANSION OPTIONS

The NRL will POSSIBLY be accepting bids in 2011 for two NRL licences from 2013. Here are a couple of links on Gallops thoughts:
1 . . http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/news...467360574.html
2 . . http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/spo...-1111115622346
Thats as confirmed as I can find Gallop saying anything. For a quick overview of each bid so far from the net:

WA 1 Western Australian Reds
Stadium(s): 23000 Members Equity stadium, Perth (in 2013 after Super14s upgrade)

SA 1 Adelaide
Stadium(s): Hindmarsh Stadium, Adelaide

No formal bid and no real interest on the info net. Plans for a team in Adelaide or Perth won't add to games value according to this:
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...6-2722,00.html

VIC 2 Melbourne
Not bloody likely:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/spo...016545,00.html

NZ 2 Wellington (Southern) Orcas
Website: I know there is a formal bid but can only find the Wellington RL site http://www.sportingpulse.com/assoc_page.cgi?c=16-4979-0-0-0&sID=64817
Stadium(s): Westpac Stadium, Wellington

Heres an April 2009 article talking about the bid:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/2328401/Hopes-raised-for-NRL-inclusion

QLD 4 Ipswich/Logan
Stadium(s): Suncorp or a new Stadium?

From April 2009: David Gallop
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/sport/nrl/story/0,26746,25286758-5003409,00.html
From May 2009: Discussions of Ipswich/Logan stadium below
http://blogs.abc.net.au/queensland/2009/05/logan-or-ipswic.html
http://logan-west-leader.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/field-of-dreams1/

QLD 4 Sunshine Coast
Stadium(s): Redeveloped Stockland Park, Kawana or new stadium?

9 June 2009 Article basically saying SC not big enough to full time support a team yet but 2 games a year. Possible Leagues Club at Lake Kawana. Scott Penn and Manly are heavily involved here:
http://www.thedaily.com.au/story/2009/06/09/sunshine-coast-nrl-team-2013/

QLD 4 Central Queensland NRL Bid
Stadium(s): New stadium as 5200 Brown Park, Rockhampton inadequate

Maybe joint Central QLD / Sunshine Coast bid similar to the SQLD Crushers would work. Below is a link to Australian Bureau of Statistics information on Queensland from April 2009:
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@...Summary&prodno=3218.0&issue=2007-08&num=&view=

PNG 1 Papua New Guinea
Stadium(s): 15000 Hubert Murray Stadium, Port Moresby. Would need a rebuild
Maybe a joint bid with (NT 1) Darwin might work well. Bit from the Telecrap about our PM backing this bid:
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/png-govt-commits-20m-to-nrl-team/story-e6frexni-1111117989728

NSW 11 Central Coast/North Sydney Bears
Website: www.northsydneybears.com.au (www.centralcoastbears.com.au)
Stadium(s): 22000 Bluetongue Stadium, Gosford and North Sydney Oval

One of many media links on the Bears:
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/bears-get-logo-now-for-the-nrl/2009/03/21/1237526389790.html

COMPETITION STRUCTURE

With an expanded competition, we would have to look at the structure of the NRL competition. We can't really play more rounds than we have now as it would leave the players absolutely shattered at the end of the year. we effectively play 24 rounds over 26 weeks now.

An 18 team competition where it was split into 3 pools of 6 teams might work. Say you are Team 1, play teams 2-18 over 17 rounds. Then have an additional 5 weeks playing the teams drawn in your pool. That would be 22 rounds. Then play 1 team in each of the two other pools once, bringing total games to 24 rounds. Then do the home and away split.

Here is something like the comp I would like to see in 5 years time. Pools determined by a draw

Pool 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Pool 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Pool 3
Canberra Raiders . . . . . . . . .Auckland Warriors . . . . . . . . . . Wests Tigers
Melbourne Storm . . . . . . . . . . .Wellington Orcas . . . . . . . . . . . Canterbury Bulldogs
Perth Reds . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Newcastle Knights . . . . . . . . . . Sydney Roosters
North Queensland Cowboys . . . Penrith Panthers . . . . . . . . . . . South Sydney Rabbitohs
Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles . . . Parramatta Eels . . . . . . . . . . . .Cronulla (Adelaide???) Sharks
Brisbane Broncos . . . . . . . . . . St George Illawarra Dragons . . . Gold Coast Titans

Canberra would play all teams, then teams in pool 1, then 1 team in pool 2 and another 1 team in pool 3. Once the Draw is done, then do the home/away split, and move rounds around to maximise crowds, eg make sure dragons roosters meet on ANZAC day, and heritage round teams line up in the same week.

Other changes I would make: Put State of Origin on the weekend, give all teams three bye weekends. Only extends competition by 1 week. Spread Origin matches out to 3-4 weeks between each match rather than 2.

Scrap City vs Country. Encourage non joint venture or regional teams to take 1 home game to regions, especially regional NSW centers instead. For example, South Sydney Rabbitohs for 1 game in Coffs Harbour, Canberra playing in the Riverina for 1 game.

Make the Minor Premiership worth more, say $1 million. Keep finals an 8 team competition.

TV REVENUE

What I would do: Split games into packages as has been discussed previously. 2 Friday night games in a Friday package, 3 Saturday Afternoon/Night games in two packages, one 2 match package and a 1 match package, Sunday Afternoon games, 1 Monday Night game. State of Origin and NRL Finals TV rights to be seperate from the NRL regular season.

Have the TV deal fully cover the salary cap for each team, allowing the teams to be profitable and generate income from Leagues clubs, merchandise, ticket sales and advertising, strengthening the game.

All revenue from Internationals in the future will be going to the RLIF.

GAME ADMINISTRATIVE STRUCTURE

Get rid of News Corp and stop paying them $10m for the Super League war. I have been told to get over it if I bring it up, well they can get over it too.

Make the clubs joint stakeholders in the NRL, electing an independent board to run the game.

All remaining funds generated saved to generate interest, then spent on stadium development/expansion teams/promoting the game.

Last edited:

Billythekid

First Grade
Ipswich /Logan to counter the AFLs Gold Coast experiment.

To soon for another club. Let the Titans build their fan base first. I don't think we need another club to counter the AFL.

Personally i think the ideal situation would be perth and a 2nd NZ team. At this point i am not getting my hopes up that either will happen.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Haven't seen an Expansion thread for a good month now.... Normally an off season staple....

Its gotta be Perth and a Second NZ team.... spread out the time zones a bit so we can get more live action into the East coast.... As has been mentioned, this will be of interest to the TV companies and make them pay more $$...

Forget anywhere else in NSW....

Put regional QLD on the backburner for 10 years...

PNG is 20 years minimum away unfortunately...

Revelation 3:20

Juniors
In far or near future the NRL will have to consider establishing new teams, Melbourne Storm, Gold Coast Titans and the rebirth of South Sydney have all worked well. To grow rugby league in Australasia, NRL hold a lot of the power.
Competing against Aussie Rules and Rugby, the NRL must take steps to
ensure the growth of rugby league is maintained. So when and where, the slow and steady aproach seems to work rather then chuck in a heap of teams eg Mariners, Adelaide, Western Reds, The Crushers all around the same time.
So like an army general planning his next move, the NRL must choose carefully were to set up a rugby league out post. With a handful of areas vying for a position in rugby league toughest competition, NRL must plot out what area needs it most and just as important a Club that can sustain itself in the future.
Like a food drop in to war stricken areas the NRL must consider where a team is to be placed. If you look at the ideal situation you would want a team in every main centre of Australia - Perth, Adelaide, Cental Coast, another Queesland team and another New Zealand team. But who is first inline.
For me it has to be the Central Coast Bears by 2012
Then Perth second, a fourth Queensland team third, and another NZ team by 2020.
The main point I’m, making is the need to expand the NRL.

So, who do you think should be next in the NRL?
Central Coast Bears? Central Queensland Crocs? Western Reds?
Food for thought…..

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Ideally (more $$ in the media deals) it'd be Perth and Adelaide. Realistically it'll be Perth and the Central Coast, which is still a good combo. An expansion team and heartland team, both would bring a lot to the comp.

QLD can wait until the Gold Coast have fully settled in, so give it until 2017+ before we get a 4th team.

We shouldn't react to what the fumbleballers are doing, RL historically never has so there's no need to start now. (We added the Reds, they added the Dockers; we added the Rams, they added the Power; we added the Titans, they're adding the Gazzas, etc).

babyg

Juniors
Ideally (more $$ in the media deals) it'd be Perth and Adelaide. Realistically it'll be Perth and the Central Coast, which is still a good combo. An expansion team and heartland team, both would bring a lot to the comp.

QLD can wait until the Gold Coast have fully settled in, so give it until 2017+ before we get a 4th team.

We shouldn't react to what the fumbleballers are doing, RL historically never has so there's no need to start now. (We added the Reds, they added the Dockers; we added the Rams, they added the Power; we added the Titans, they're adding the Gazzas, etc).

I'm with you Lockyer, Perth first then Adelaide and CC.
Would rather a team relocate to the Sunshine Coast then making a new team.
Next would be NZ2 and then PNG/Darwin.

chrisc101

Juniors
Has anyone here been to Adelaide?? I cannot believe people keep suggesting it as a location for a League team. Hmm I feel for Perth too but look at how the Force is travelling.

The great advantage the NRL has over the AFL is that we can still expand in RL friendly territory whereas all of their future expansion is in enemy territory. We only have one team which needs to be supported and need to consider very carfully if it should be 2.

Population is just as important as a capital city competition.

Goddo

Bench
The results of this one are interesting as it allows us to compare the results to previous threads on this topic. Seems public opinion has swung away from the Central Coast, but people still want Perth. This would be good for the game as has been pointed out, more timezones allow more live games that don't clash.

Careful scheduling would make this a good option. Just don't call em WA... I think the massive region names are lame, like NQLD and NZ... city names are cooler but thats my opinion.

Also so far there is a higher vote for team NZ 2. This is what I picked as I learned only yesterday that they contribute 10% of the NRL's television revenue!

A second team there would really strengthen the game there, especially as the super 15s won't expand in NZ for a while, as the new format of 5 teams in each country is introduced in the near future.

EDIT: there are also a lot of young tallent in NZ to poach from Rugby.

BuffaloRules

Coach
The great advantage the NRL has over the AFL is that we can still expand in RL friendly territory whereas all of their future expansion is in enemy territory.

Not strictly true.

The AFL could put another team into Perth , and lets not forget Tasmania...

They dont have to expand to Tasmania though, as the AFL already has that area sewn up.

Its similar to the Central Coast in respect of NRL... will expansion there bring us any more TV dollars? Hardly...

Its an argument that we have been having here for years.... I favour that the Central Coast be reserved for a relocation team rather then expansion....Also, when the relocation does happen, the team needs to keep its nick name...

I know that the likes of Dr Death/Ronny wont like that but too bad....

Swamp

Juniors
Not strictly true.

They dont have to expand to Tasmania though, as the AFL already has that area sewn up.

Its similar to the Central Coast in respect of NRL... will expansion there bring us any more TV dollars? Hardly...

Its an argument that we have been having here for years.... I favour that the Central Coast be reserved for a relocation team rather then expansion....Also, when the relocation does happen, the team needs to keep its nick name...

Do you really think Perth could support a third team & be successful? While the Dockers have a large fan base I think they have only made the finals once or twice in their entire history. There is definately no room for a third AFL team. Its time for the WA sun to shine on the NRL!

Swamp

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Has anyone here been to Adelaide?? I cannot believe people keep suggesting it as a location for a League team. Hmm I feel for Perth too but look at how the Force is travelling.

The great advantage the NRL has over the AFL is that we can still expand in RL friendly territory whereas all of their future expansion is in enemy territory. We only have one team which needs to be supported and need to consider very carfully if it should be 2.

Population is just as important as a capital city competition.

Adelaide only has two winter football teams, the two AFL teams. They have no union team (nor will they get one anytime soon) and the soccer team plays in summer. It's the easiest capital city market in the country to break into.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Not strictly true.

Tasmania can't support an AFL team and a third Perth AFL team would struggle big time imo.

jargan83

Coach
Do you really think Perth could support a third team & be successful?

Nope.

Correct that Freo have only made the finals twice in their 14ish year history and have often been the producers of mediocity and dissappointment. A 3rd AFL side here in Perth will never happen regardless of what anyone at AFL headquarters says