What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion - Your prefered locations

Which teams would you like to see in the NRL? Pick 2 options

• Perth (Reds)

Votes: 132 64.1%
  • Adelaide (Rams)

Votes: 20 9.7%
  • Hobart (Twinkle Toes)

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Second Victorian Team

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Wellington (Orcas)

Votes: 43 20.9%
  • Ipswitch/Logan

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • Sunshine Coast/North Brisbane

Votes: 43 20.9%
  • Rockhampton/Central Queensland

Votes: 9 4.4%
  • Port Morsby/PNG

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • Central Coast (Bears)

Votes: 66 32.0%
  • Coffs Harbour/New England/North NSW

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Expansion? There are too many teams now

Votes: 9 4.4%

• Total voters

chrisc101

Juniors
Adelaide only has two winter football teams, the two AFL teams. They have no union team (nor will they get one anytime soon) and the soccer team plays in summer. It's the easiest capital city market in the country to break into.

You can't be serious?? Have you looked at Port Powers crowds? I'm sorry mate I think you are way off the mark. There is zero culture of League in Adelaide. Just because they don't have a team doesn't mean they sit around on the weekends thinking...'gee I wish Adelaide had a team in the NRL'. It would be the biggest money pit of the century.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
You can't be serious?? Have you looked at Port Powers crowds? I'm sorry mate I think you are way off the mark. There is zero culture of League in Adelaide. Just because they don't have a team doesn't mean they sit around on the weekends thinking...'gee I wish Adelaide had a team in the NRL'. It would be the biggest money pit of the century.

That's not what I said mate. I just pointed out that we have established a team in Melbourne which is up against 9/10 AFL teams, Perth has two AFL teams and a S14 team and Adelaide only has two AFL teams.

We've already established a team in the hardest to crack market in the country, Adelaide will easy in comparison.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
A lot of the arguments you put up against Tasmania in the AFL would be applicable for this potential team in the NRL...

Small population, no stadium and limited Corporate support....

I was just helping out with the colours and logo, not necessarily saying they should be in the NRL. ;-)

mongoose

Coach
NZers would never take to a relocated team...NEVER.
I would call them the Central Queensland Crocs there colours could be green and blue?

I dont see where a central QLD team could be based, there isn't much between brisbane and townsville. Mackay and Rocky are literally country towns. I would have another team in south east QLD, doesnt matter which district or shire, they will play out of Lang Park as the broncos do.

chrisc101

Juniors
That's not what I said mate. I just pointed out that we have established a team in Melbourne which is up against 9/10 AFL teams, Perth has two AFL teams and a S14 team and Adelaide only has two AFL teams.

We've already established a team in the hardest to crack market in the country, Adelaide will easy in comparison.

No agree with you regarding Melbourne, they have done well in a very hard market. But I would suggest the biggest drawback in Adelaide would to corporate support or the lack of it.

So then that draws the question to why? Why bother?

BuffaloRules

Coach
I dont see where a central QLD team could be based, there isn't much between brisbane and townsville. Mackay and Rocky are literally country towns. I would have another team in south east QLD, doesnt matter which district or shire, they will play out of Lang Park as the broncos do.

Yeah.. unfortunately I have to agree with this.

The next QLD team has to be somehow tacked onto the Brisbane metropolitan area and play at Suncorp...

They need a game every week.....

What would it be called though??

Is there any chance that Redcliffe could step up to the NRL??

Didnt they make a song and dance about keeping the name "Dolphins" just in case when the Gold Coast wanted it??

Is there any organised bid team trying to get entry for them into the NRL??

d3@t3h

Juniors
voted for second melbourne team for sh*ts 'n' gigles and derbys and putting in an attack on AFL Heartland. But manly for sh*ts'n'gigles

little_aza

Juniors

The next QLD team has to be somehow tacked onto the Brisbane metropolitan area and play at Suncorp...

absolutely correct. im surprised the voting doesnt reflect this at all. there is no question about it - there HAS to be a second brisbane team when the NRL is next expanded.

mongoose

Coach

Didnt they make a song and dance about keeping the name "Dolphins" just in case when the Gold Coast wanted it??

Central QLD comets have an organised bid to get into the NRL, thats the only one i know of. but honestly you can fill Telstra stadium with the whole population of rockhampton.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

Not that I know of. A couple of years ago when Gallop said he was looking at a team in Western Brisbane there were a few srticles in the paper. I think Springfield (a new large planned city) put up their hand to be the home of the new team, despite the fact there was no team bidding...

A couple of relevant quotes from Gallop.

http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/new...t-in-qld-gallop/2008/02/22/1203467360574.html
Gallop reiterated that the NRL had long term plans to expand in south-east Queensland - namely the Sunshine Coast and the Ipswich-Logan corridor west of Brisbane.

"We don't have a time frame but we are certainly conscious of making sure we have a presence in large population growth areas," he said.

"When we are in a position to expand, those two areas (Sunshine Coast, Ipswich-Logan) would have their hands up."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/its-war-league-attacks-afl/story-e6frexnr-1111115622346
"Our growth plans are well underway,'' he said. "The Gold Coast Titans have been an overnight success. Calling what we achieved with the Gold Coast 'lucky' (as claimed by AFL commission chairman Mike Fitzpatrick) is frankly arrogant and underestimates our efforts up there.

"While the other codes chase areas we are already in, we have the Central Coast, an area west of Brisbane, the Sunshine Coast and New Zealand in our sights as possible future NRL franchises. There's Perth too. It's an area we could explore.

"We are constantly monitoring how we are placed strategically in comparison with other codes and further expansion will happen at some point.

"The pace of population growth in these areas will create pressure on all the codes to take their claims for inclusion seriously. But there is a real danger in a code looking to put dots on the map without considering the impact of your existing teams.''

Gallop refused to set a date for expansion but did say Sydney clubs could consider amalgamation. "It is difficult to imagine going to all four places in one hit, but the competition between these areas for a place will make it a tough choiceto leave anyone out,'' he said.

"Rather than set a number or a date, it's about making sure the competition is as healthy as possible with sensible growth. Mergers are a possibility with the pressure on Sydney clubs, but certainly it's not something we will be forcing our clubs into.''

I've bolded the part I think is most interesting. The NRL planners seem to think that the next four teams will be West Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, Central Coast and a second New Zealand team, with Perth as an outsider and Adelaide not even mentioned.

jargan83

Coach
I don't doubt it mate. But the support you are talking about is weak at best. Perth is a city where AFL and daylight run first and second and RL is fighting it out for third with RU and soccer. These other 2 codes are already present in the city and are battling away, hardly beacons of success.

Compare this with Brisbane, a city larger than Perth where RL is the dominant code by a fair margin. One game per fortnight is not enough for the area.

If your objective is to put clubs in places so that when you look at a map, they are spread out nicely over the countryside, then Perth is a great option.

But if your objective is to put in clubs that will be successful in drawing members and crowds in a place where lots of people currently follow the game, then Brisbane is a must.

Perth is more then an option just to put on the map and say "we have a team there" even thought the National Rugby League is National only in name. If Rugby Union can get a foothold in Perth surely Rugby League can as well. 16,000 people turned up to the South Sydney vs Melbourne game here in June with more tickets sold (the weather must have put them off)

The game of Rugby League needs to grow beyond traditional "heartland" areas. Granted AFL will probaly always be number 1 here in Perth, just as it will always be number 1 in Melbourne.

I wouldn't mind seeing some average crowd figures for some of the current NRL sides

BuffaloRules

Coach
I've bolded the part I think is most interesting. The NRL planners seem to think that the next four teams will be West Brisbane, Sunshine Coast, Central Coast and a second New Zealand team, with Perth as an outsider and Adelaide not even mentioned.

I do recall that article...

Amazing that its more than 18 months old, and I think it was the last time Gallop mentioned anything about Expansion ..

You would have to think that unless he is keeping something up his sleeve, it appears unlikely that expansion wont happen on the back of the next TV deal which will commence in 2012...

If that is the case then there wont be any expansion until 2017 :crazy:

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I do recall that article...

Amazing that its more than 18 months old, and I think it was the last time Gallop mentioned anything about Expansion ..

You would have to think that unless he is keeping something up his sleeve, it appears unlikely that expansion wont happen on the back of the next TV deal which will commence in 2012...

If that is the case then there wont be any expansion until 2017 :crazy:

It's a bit worrying isn't it. Then again, they were talking down expansion just a few months before they admitted the Gold Coast so who knows what might happen.

Gallop seems to be the kind of guy who likes the keep his cards close to his chest, if he comes out and says which cities will be joining the NRL and what timeframe he might just be worried that it'll backfire like it did for the AFL wrt the Gazzas and Celtics.

BuffaloRules

Coach
It's a bit worrying isn't it. Then again, they were talking down expansion just a few months before they admitted the Gold Coast so who knows what might happen.

Gallop seems to be the kind of guy who likes the keep his cards close to his chest, if he comes out and says which cities will be joining the NRL and what timeframe he might just be worried that it'll backfire like it did for the AFL wrt the Gazzas and Celtics.

I'm pretty sure that the decision to expand to 16 teams was announced well before the new TV deal was negotiated in 2005....

There was a bidding process between GC, CC and Wellington before the GC got the official nod...

Goddo

Bench
i think, just spitballing but, i really think there should be a riverina team, like wagga waga and surrounding areas! it would be hard to keep the club running but hell would it be popular!

In the age of large or multi region teams (Dragons, Tigers, North Queensland, New Zealand et cetera) maybe this is an option to expand Canberra's prospects.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I'm pretty sure that the decision to expand to 16 teams was announced well before the new TV deal was negotiated in 2005....

There was a bidding process between GC, CC and Wellington before the GC got the official nod...

They had the bidding comp but the NRL said none of the applicants (the GC Dolphins, the CC Bears or Southern Orcas) were good enough so they cancelled it.

The GC went back to the NRL and asked them what they should be working on to improve their bid and things went from there.