What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion - Your prefered locations

Which teams would you like to see in the NRL? Pick 2 options

• Perth (Reds)

Votes: 132 64.1%
  • Adelaide (Rams)

Votes: 20 9.7%
  • Hobart (Twinkle Toes)

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Second Victorian Team

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Wellington (Orcas)

Votes: 43 20.9%
  • Ipswitch/Logan

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • Sunshine Coast/North Brisbane

Votes: 43 20.9%
  • Rockhampton/Central Queensland

Votes: 9 4.4%
  • Port Morsby/PNG

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • Central Coast (Bears)

Votes: 66 32.0%
  • Coffs Harbour/New England/North NSW

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Expansion? There are too many teams now

Votes: 9 4.4%

• Total voters

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
An AFL team splitting their games between Hobart and Launceston would average crowds above 20k...

Where would they play though, their biggest stadium has 12K seats and a ground record of 20K.

They'd also need to be permanantly propped up by the AFL because they don't have the corporate support down there.

Adelaide is not an option. Perth is something to look at but before that I think we need to lock up the eastern states before AFL can get there. Another NZ team is just good for the game, both here and there. A team somewhere between Nth Qld and Brisbane/Gold coast will stamp QLD as League territory and also allow for (sort of) local derby's. As for the Central Coast, if a Sydney team wants (or needs) to relocate, the NRL should do everything it can to assist.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Its an argument that we have been having here for years.... I favour that the Central Coast be reserved for a relocation team rather then expansion....Also, when the relocation does happen, the team needs to keep its nick name...

The Central Coast is already reserved for an expansion team. The Bears nic will be kept. The Bears instigated the building of the stadium.

If teh NRL were dumb enough to (1) not put in teh CC Bears or (2) try and put another team there because it's struggling, then you will have teh makings of a legal case which will drag up exactly what happened in 1999 and how the Bears were defrauded (wrongful administration etc) which will cause great potential damage to the game.

The News Limited involvement in rugby league was done immorally and, in the Bears' case, illegally. Only - it has never gone to court because the Bears are still alive and looking for their proper reinstatment.

lturner

Juniors
At least one, if not both of the 2 new teams should be in strong RL territory, which in reality means either Queensland or the Central Coast.

I can't understand why so many people view the raison d'être of expasion as converting the heathens to the one true faith.

The good citizens of Perth, Adelaide et al, are no more likely to give up following their code and start watching RL en masse than anyone here is likely to give up RL and start following Aussie rules.....let me give you the tip.

adamkungl

Immortal
Perth is an absolute must. Imo the NRL should be helping and pushing here.

I was big on the Bears return, but the complete apathy towards clubs that sacraficed 2 home games from the people of the CC turned me off.

The second spot should by down to whoever wants it most. CC, Adelaide, PNG, or Wellington. I don't think Rockhampton has what it takes.

i think, just spitballing but, i really think there should be a riverina team, like wagga waga and surrounding areas! it would be hard to keep the club running but hell would it be popular!

BuffaloRules

Coach
The Central Coast is already reserved for an expansion team. The Bears nic will be kept. The Bears instigated the building of the stadium.

If teh NRL were dumb enough to (1) not put in teh CC Bears or (2) try and put another team there because it's struggling, then you will have teh makings of a legal case which will drag up exactly what happened in 1999 and how the Bears were defrauded (wrongful administration etc) which will cause great potential damage to the game.

The News Limited involvement in rugby league was done immorally and, in the Bears' case, illegally. Only - it has never gone to court because the Bears are still alive and looking for their proper reinstatment.

Reserved for an expansion team... have you got a link for that?

It would be easier getting a Sydney team relocated if they could keep their nick name...

BuffaloRules

Coach
Where would they play though, their biggest stadium has 12K seats and a ground record of 20K.

They'd also need to be permanantly propped up by the AFL because they don't have the corporate support down there.

You dont think that both the State and Federal governments would put money into a new stadium in say Hobart?

I'll put it this way - would Tasmania be a bigger success for the AFL then either Western Sydney or Gold Coast?

jargan83

Coach
The good citizens of Perth, Adelaide et al, are no more likely to give up following their code and start watching RL en masse than anyone here is likely to give up RL and start following Aussie rules.....let me give you the tip.

We don't all follow Fumbleball. Granted I am from Sydney, but there is plenty of support over here, be it through people from NSW/QLD who have moved here or West Aussies who actually like the game

I'll put it this way - would Tasmania be a bigger success for the AFL then either Western Sydney or Gold Coast?

In my opinion yes it would

BuffaloRules

Coach

A team in Perth is not just about the locals, ( although surely we should have some long term ambitions of expanding to new areas??)..

Dont understimate the fact that they could play games at say 7.30 local time on a Sat Night, or 4pm on a Sunday arvo which would mean live games into the East Coast at times where normally live games are not shown...

This has got to be worth something to Foxtel...

Revelation 3:20

Juniors
The results of this one are interesting as it allows us to compare the results to previous threads on this topic. Seems public opinion has swung away from the Central Coast, but people still want Perth. This would be good for the game as has been pointed out, more timezones allow more live games that don't clash.

Careful scheduling would make this a good option. Just don't call em WA... I think the massive region names are lame, like NQLD and NZ... city names are cooler but thats my opinion.

Also so far there is a higher vote for team NZ 2. This is what I picked as I learned only yesterday that they contribute 10% of the NRL's television revenue!

A second team there would really strengthen the game there, especially as the super 15s won't expand in NZ for a while, as the new format of 5 teams in each country is introduced in the near future.

EDIT: there are also a lot of young tallent in NZ to poach from Rugby.

Agree, shouldnt call them Western. WHEN NZ gets another team the Warriors will have to change their name back to Auckland I think. I think the Central Coast Bears sounds good though.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Why is it that the Central Coast is reserved for a relocated Sydney side? If i were on the CC and the Sharks moved to the CC, I wouldnt consider them the Central Coast Sharks. They would still be Cronulla playing at Bluetounge.

Expansion areas with no strong link to any NRL club should be reserved for a relocation. The Central Coast has already adopted the Bears, Perth has adopted the Reds. Adelaide, NZ2, QLD4 can be for relocation.

otori

Juniors
Agree, shouldnt call them Western. WHEN NZ gets another team the Warriors will have to change their name back to Auckland I think. I think the Central Coast Bears sounds good though.

Technically, the Warriors aren't the NZ Warriors but the Vodaphone Warriors. The other NZ team would have to be north island though.

I voted for Perth/Morseby but would be very happy with a 3rd QLD team. Does anyone else want to see some Australian animal mascots? Central Queensland Dingoes :p

BuffaloRules

Coach
Why is it that the Central Coast is reserved for a relocated Sydney side? If i were on the CC and the Sharks moved to the CC, I wouldnt consider them the Central Coast Sharks. They would still be Cronulla playing at Bluetounge.

Dont forget that they are still going to play 8 games in Sydney a year as well....

If say the Sharks were to relocate, you might have some chance of keeping some of their Sydney fans ( who else are they going to support??)

The Swans and Lions seem to have some following still in Melbourne from their previous identities....

lturner

Juniors
We don't all follow Fumbleball. Granted I am from Sydney, but there is plenty of support over here, be it through people from NSW/QLD who have moved here or West Aussies who actually like the game

I don't doubt it mate. But the support you are talking about is weak at best. Perth is a city where AFL and daylight run first and second and RL is fighting it out for third with RU and soccer. These other 2 codes are already present in the city and are battling away, hardly beacons of success.

Compare this with Brisbane, a city larger than Perth where RL is the dominant code by a fair margin. One game per fortnight is not enough for the area.

If your objective is to put clubs in places so that when you look at a map, they are spread out nicely over the countryside, then Perth is a great option.

But if your objective is to put in clubs that will be successful in drawing members and crowds in a place where lots of people currently follow the game, then Brisbane is a must.

Revelation 3:20

Juniors
NZers would never take to a relocated team...NEVER.
I would call them the Central Queensland Crocs there colours could be green and blue?

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
You dont think that both the State and Federal governments would put money into a new stadium in say Hobart?

They would have to upgrade two stadiums though.

The second question is unfair because I think that the new fumbleball teams will be complete failures. ;-)

They'll be huge financial black holes for the AFL for many decades to come (they're still propping up the Swans and Lions after 30 years, I wouldn't be surprised if the Gazzas and Celtics are still getting handouts after I'm dead and buried).