What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion - Your prefered locations

Which teams would you like to see in the NRL? Pick 2 options

• Perth (Reds)

Votes: 132 64.1%
  • Adelaide (Rams)

Votes: 20 9.7%
  • Hobart (Twinkle Toes)

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Second Victorian Team

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Wellington (Orcas)

Votes: 43 20.9%
  • Ipswitch/Logan

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • Sunshine Coast/North Brisbane

Votes: 43 20.9%
  • Rockhampton/Central Queensland

Votes: 9 4.4%
  • Port Morsby/PNG

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • Central Coast (Bears)

Votes: 66 32.0%
  • Coffs Harbour/New England/North NSW

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Expansion? There are too many teams now

Votes: 9 4.4%

• Total voters

simostorm

Bench
IMO 16 teams is enough.. If Adelaide and perth were to have 2 teams.. id rather see two NSW clubs moved there.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
I know, and I suspect that they will end up on the Sunshine Coast in the next 10 years. I am just saying "Redcliffe Sea Eagles" has a nice ring to it. "Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles" sounds terrible, and I am sick of "Coast" names. One is enough.

Better using a place name, or two place names hyphened. Noosa Sea Eagles sounds okay too. Just my opinion.

Manly have the right colours for a QLD side too, and they can have Fatty as their ginger ninja mascot in a bird suit.

I actually like the name Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles tbh. It gels really well. The logo looks great too.

65695_1_O.jpg

You can't name them after Noosa or else you'll put off the Maroochy/Caloundra residents and vice versa.

I don't like teams using generic location names either (West Coast Eagles, East Coast Aces, Western Force, Southern Orcas, etc) but the Sunshine Coast is the name of the local council (ditto the Gold Coast and I'd assume the Central Coast) which I think makes it excusable.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Love to see Central Coast,Wellington,Perth,Coffs Harbour,Rockhampton,Sunshine Coast,Ipswich,PNG in a comp of 16 teams.

Perth Red

Post Whore
My votes:

WA Reds
+'ves :
Solid fanbase here already with virtually zero RL coverage
Very wealthy city with companies that would jump at getting sponsorship coverage into the Eastern states on a weekly basis
Will soon have a 23,000+ decent rectangular stadium with good corporate facilities
Gives greater flexability for live TV viewing into Eastern states
Has a reasonable jnr programme that is already producing NRL 1st teamers
Gives more legitimacy to the National in NRL!

Wellington
+'ves
More opportunity to unearth Kiwi talent and take it from RU
Provides rivallary and derbies for Warriors which will boost both clubs
Adds strength to the International game
Possibly adds greater $'s for on sale rights into NZ
Proven record of being able to attract decent crowds to RL games

We've had 100 years to shore up NSW and Q'land, lets actually GROW our game for a change!

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Love to see Central Coast,Wellington,Perth,Coffs Harbour,Rockhampton,Sunshine Coast,Ipswich,PNG in a comp of 16 teams.

Seeing as your a Pome, you get the benefit of the doubt. But Coffs Harbour offers nothing more then the weakest of teams in the NRL. I have never been to Ipswich or the Sunshine Coast and havent been to Rockhampton for about 8 years, but from what I hear, none of these places are ready yet. Development wise they are doing great though.

IllawarraGiant

Juniors
Adelaide only has two winter football teams, the two AFL teams. They have no union team (nor will they get one anytime soon) and the soccer team plays in summer. It's the easiest capital city market in the country to break into.

Your forgetting the SANFL though: it is still taken fairly seriously there; I'd favour second NZ ... though I cant believe reintroducing the Gong wasnt an option!:lol:

Goddo

Bench
I don't think the gong will get a team back. The NRL is keen to encourage mega teams or teams representing whole regions of Sydney as it is more stable. As far as southern Sydney goes, there were 3 teams, now 2, ideal case would be 1.

bobmar28

Bench
In far or near future the NRL will have to consider establishing new teams, Melbourne Storm, Gold Coast Titans and the rebirth of South Sydney have all worked well. To grow rugby league in Australasia, NRL hold a lot of the power.
Competing against Aussie Rules and Rugby, the NRL must take steps to
ensure the growth of rugby league is maintained. So when and where, the slow and steady aproach seems to work rather then chuck in a heap of teams eg Mariners, Adelaide, Western Reds, The Crushers all around the same time.
So like an army general planning his next move, the NRL must choose carefully were to set up a rugby league out post. With a handful of areas vying for a position in rugby league toughest competition, NRL must plot out what area needs it most and just as important a Club that can sustain itself in the future.
Like a food drop in to war stricken areas the NRL must consider where a team is to be placed. If you look at the ideal situation you would want a team in every main centre of Australia - Perth, Adelaide, Cental Coast, another Queesland team and another New Zealand team. But who is first inline.
For me it has to be the Central Coast Bears by 2012
Then Perth second, a fourth Queensland team third, and another NZ team by 2020.
The main point I’m, making is the need to expand the NRL.

So, who do you think should be next in the NRL?
Central Coast Bears? Central Queensland Crocs? Western Reds?
Food for thought…..

NSW already has too many.

Teddyboy

First Grade
Seeing as your a Pome, you get the benefit of the doubt. But Coffs Harbour offers nothing more then the weakest of teams in the NRL. I have never been to Ipswich or the Sunshine Coast and havent been to Rockhampton for about 8 years, but from what I hear, none of these places are ready yet. Development wise they are doing great though.

Fair enough.

rabbitohs

Juniors
Adelaide - decent population - approx. 1.2 million, far more open to league than Melbourne (doesn't have the stigma of Vic/NSW rivalry). A population who like going to live sports events. A perfectly sized ground in a decent location at Hindmarsh. New territory for new fans if done properly. Instant rivalry with Mebourne Storm (SA hate Vics more than anyone :)). AFL is struggling atm due to the perceived softness and the stupid expansion to GC and WS with their concessions. Perfect time to find a niche.

Having said that I think Perth are streets ahead though. I would defintely go for Perth and Adelaide as expansion teams. Anywhere else is consolodation and not expansion.

we need to do something fast. the finacial state of the game is in a critical condition!

we have far too many sydney based teams, not enoough QLD teams and no other states are involved othher than victoria/ACT. sure, we spread the game to nz in 95 but that has done nothing for the game.

My expansion plan:
Queensland: Brisbane Broncos, North Queensland Cowboys, Gold Coast Titans and SOuth east or Centrel QLD side
ACT: Canberra Raiders
Victoria: Melbourne Storm
NSW: Sydney Roosters, Wests Tigers, Many Waringah Sea Eagles, Parramatter Eels, St. Geogre Illawara Dragons and Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs.
other states: The reds, a SA team, A team in the NT and eventually if enough support is generated , another in NZ or Tassie

adamkungl

Immortal
we need to do something fast. the finacial state of the game is in a critical condition!

we have far too many sydney based teams, not enoough QLD teams and no other states are involved othher than victoria/ACT. sure, we spread the game to nz in 95 but that has done nothing for the game.

My expansion plan:
Queensland: Brisbane Broncos, North Queensland Cowboys, Gold Coast Titans and SOuth east or Centrel QLD side
ACT: Canberra Raiders
Victoria: Melbourne Storm
NSW: Sydney Roosters, Wests Tigers, Many Waringah Sea Eagles, Parramatter Eels, St. Geogre Illawara Dragons and Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs.
other states: The reds, a SA team, A team in the NT and eventually if enough support is generated , another in NZ or Tassie

Tassie will never have an NRL side.
NT might, but only if its a combined PNG side. Maybe.

caylo

Bench
To soon for another club. Let the Titans build their fan base first. I don't think we need another club to counter the AFL.

Personally i think the ideal situation would be perth and a 2nd NZ team. At this point i am not getting my hopes up that either will happen.

I think it is important to have a Perth team, a Hobart team and porbably a 2nd Victorian team but I think it is to early for all of these (maybe with the exepction of Perth). We need to consolidate the areas we have and I think a team in the central coast is essential as they would provide a great rivarly with Newcastle (alot of central coast people dont like Newcastle teams but they are league happy up there). Also a NRL could bring more jobs up there and would prob get 16K+ to each home ground.

QLD deserve another team (logan, Ipswich or a central QLD team maybe) because they are doing well and we could consolidate RL up there.

I would look to bring in a Red team and probably a second melbourne team (but required Melbourne to be self sustainable first). The Red team would be my next option because they have done all the right things in getting a team (if it was to early for a qld team). Hobart is a long shot but it would be nice to have a team down there aswell as other parts of Australia like SA or NT. A second NZ team is a good idea but i dont see that happening to soon, a PNG team would be amazing but alot of security issues that need to be adressed 1st.

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
No offense but that is a ridiculous comment. NZ add a lot of money to our tv deal and they are now producing tons of junior players. They have added plenty.

+1

In order this is where i would expand:

1. Perth team - Have a stadium being built, have shown through crowds that support is there, and could add extra live games due to time difference.
2. QLD team - a given. Not enough teams in a stranglehold area like QLD.
3. NZ team - also a given. Would mean more juniors (some hopefully being stolen from union), and eventually a better international side. A rivalry between the Auckland Warriors and Wellington would also raise the profile of the sport through local derby matches.
4. Central Coast team - has to have a team but comes fourth on my list because of the fact their are so many teams in NSW already.
5. Adelaide team - should eventually get a team but is still a fair way off IMO.

Papua New Guinea team just wont work in my opinion. 3rd world country with issues with security and huge travel expenses. If it wasnt a success early it would die.

Tasmania are never going to get a team because AFL doesnt seem to think its important (and Tasmania IS an AFL state) so why should we care.

2nd Victorian team?? PUH-LEASE. Thats about as stupid as the AFL putting another team in Sydney and another team in Queens..... oh wait...

taste2taste

Juniors
I'd like to see the NRL take the same approach as the AFL .Expand in to new area's with a long term goal.

Perth and Wellington are my votes.