What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expansion - Your prefered locations

Which teams would you like to see in the NRL? Pick 2 options

• Perth (Reds)

Votes: 132 64.1%
  • Adelaide (Rams)

Votes: 20 9.7%
  • Hobart (Twinkle Toes)

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • Second Victorian Team

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Wellington (Orcas)

Votes: 43 20.9%
  • Ipswitch/Logan

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • Sunshine Coast/North Brisbane

Votes: 43 20.9%
  • Rockhampton/Central Queensland

Votes: 9 4.4%
  • Port Morsby/PNG

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • Central Coast (Bears)

Votes: 66 32.0%
  • Coffs Harbour/New England/North NSW

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • Expansion? There are too many teams now

Votes: 9 4.4%

• Total voters

taste2taste

Juniors
If only Australia didn't have AFL then...................it be lovely.

If AFL didn't exist and League was our national sport, the NRL would be up there with Premier League, NBA and NFL as one of the worlds biggest comps.

Instead of loosing players all over the world, players would be coming from all over the world to play.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
If AFL didn't exist and League was our national sport, the NRL would be up there with Premier League, NBA and NFL as one of the worlds biggest comps.

Instead of loosing players all over the world, players would be coming from all over the world to play.

Which is why we need to begin air strikes over Melbourne now. Australia is the only country in the world that allows Nazis. DESTROY VICTORIA!!!!

Revelation 3:20

Juniors
Being from NZ would love to see another NZ team.
Local Derbys, more Kiwi players and so on. But are the NRL Keen on the Idea?

ME SO HORNBY!

Juniors
Being from NZ would love to see another NZ team.
Local Derbys, more Kiwi players and so on. But are the NRL Keen on the Idea?

Well the NRL did accept a bid from the Southern Orcas (Wellington based) last time round along with the Central Coast Bears and of course the Gold Coast Titans. So it must be on their radar somewhat.

joshreading

Staff member
The Central Coast has already adopted the Bears

I hear this said with complete confidence but I have yet to encounter such AT ALL. Whilst there are some CC people that are for the Bears, many are not at all. Actually most I meet think they should have their own team.

I do not think CC has adopted the Bears, the Bears have adopted the CC and want CC no matter what CC thinks.

Goddo

Bench
I've updated the first post with details of each areas chances/bids and a few news articles about the ones without formal bids.

Riverina will either have to get on board with Canberra, wait for A-W to be big enough, or wait for a Ballarat/Riverina team, which won't happen for a long time

Last edited:

aussies1st

Staff member
Definitely would be good to get one at WA. Wellington or Adelaide would be my next pick.

Goddo

Bench
From a previous thread in June 2008, where you could nominate 1 team http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=202467
interesting to compare.

6.73% - - - - - - - - - East Brisbane
20.19% - - - - - - - - Central Coast
0% - - - - - - - - - - - Melbourne
3.85% - - - - - - - - - Adelaide
0% - - - - - - - - - - - Northern Territory
56.73% - - - - - - - - Perth
9.62% - - - - - - - - - Wellington
2.88% - - - - - - - - - PNG
sample size 104

Another from 23 Feb 2008, again nominating only 1 team http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=192674

52.59% - - - - - - - - -Perth
17.78% - - - - - - - - -Central Coast
3.70% - - - - - - - - - Country NSW
0.74% - - - - - - - - - Ipswich
5.93% - - - - - - - - - Sunshine Coast
2.22% - - - - - - - - - Other QLD
9.63% - - - - - - - - - Wellington
0% - - - - - - - - - - -Other NZ
0.74% - - - - - - - - - Other
6.67% - - - - - - - - - No expansion
sample size 135

The survey question I asked differs in that you can nominate two teams.
Clearly, Perth is heavily supported for the next NRL franchise by League Unlimited and this support hasn't changed.
Central Coast backing also seems stronger when an expansion of two teams is concidered.
Support of a 4th Queensland side has increased significantly, but its hard to say where to put them.
Support for a Wellington team has also grown.

Last edited:

Goddo

Bench
Thought this might be relevant

http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@...in+Features~Queensland?OpenDocument#PARALINK3

STATE SUMMARY

At 30 June 2008, the estimated resident population of Queensland was 4.29 million, an increase of 97,900 people since June 2007. For the five years from June 2003 to June 2008, Queensland's average annual growth rate was 2.4% per year, making it the fastest-growing state or territory for that period. The 2007-08 growth rate was 2.3%, joining the Northern Territory as the second-fastest growing state or territory (following Western Australia). This was the slowest annual growth rate for Queensland in the five years to June 2008.

SLA POPULATION CHANGE, Queensland - 2007-08
0.1638!OpenElement&FieldElemFormat=gif

SOUTH-EAST QUEENSLAND

At June 2008, south-east Queensland, which comprises the SDs of Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, and West Moreton, accounted for two-thirds (66%) of Queensland's population. From June 2007 to June 2008, the population in south-east Queensland increased by 67,500, which was 69% of Queensland's total growth.

The Brisbane SD experienced the largest growth of all SDs within Queensland, recording an increase of 43,400 people in the year to June 2008 and reaching a population of 1.95 million (or 45% of Queensland's population). The fastest-growing SD in south-east Queensland was Sunshine Coast, which increased by 2.9% (or 8,700 people) in the same period.

In the year to June 2008, the three most populous LGAs in Australia - Brisbane (C), Gold Coast (C) and Moreton Bay (R) - also recorded the largest increases in population. Brisbane (C) increased by 17,400 people, Gold Coast (C) by 13,200 people and Moreton Bay (R) by 11,800 people.

All 10 LGAs within south-east Queensland experienced population growth in the year to June 2008. Among these, Ipswich (C), Moreton Bay (R), and Lockyer Valley (R) grew by 3.0% or more, with Ipswich (C) recording the fastest growth, at 4.1%. Nearly two-thirds (61%) of the growth of Ipswich (C) occurred in the SLA of Ipswich (C) - East (up 6.7% or 3,700 people) due to the construction of new housing estates.

Brisbane City

Population growth within Brisbane (C) was widespread, with more than 85% of SLAs recording an increase in population. The SLA with the largest and fastest growth in the year to June 2008 was Wakerley, which increased by 930 people (19.1%). The SLAs with the second and third-largest growth were Calamvale (750 people) and Parkinson-Drewvale (740 people). All three SLAs are in the Southeast Outer Brisbane SSD.

Gold Coast City

Of the 38 Gold Coast (C) SLAs, nearly four-fifths recorded population growth in the year to June 2008. As in previous years, the SLA of Kingsholme-Upper Coomera experienced the largest growth, with an increase of 2,800 people (15.5%), followed by Ormeau-Yatala (1,300 people or 10.4%) and Pimpama-Coomera (1,100 people or 15.7%).

POPULATION GROWTH IN THE REMAINDER OF QUEENSLAND

In the year to June 2008, seven of the nine SDs outside south-east Queensland increased in population, with four growing by more than 2.4%. The fastest-growing SD in Queensland was Far North (3.1%).

Many coastal LGAs outside south-east Queensland experienced large population increases in the year to June 2008. Of these, Cairns (R) had the largest growth, with an increase of 6,000 people, followed by Townsville (C) (5,100) and Fraser Coast (R) (3,100). Mackay (R) and Bundaberg (R) also recorded population increases of greater than 2,000 people.

Cairns (R) also had the fastest population growth (3.9%) of the LGAs outside south-east Queensland (excluding those with populations less than 2,000 at 30 June 2007). The coastal LGAs of Torres (S), Fraser Coast (R) and Gladstone (R) all grew by 3.4%.

Goddo

Bench
This is the sort of thing Gallop and co will be looking at with Queensland. Its why he keeps spruking Ipswich.

Sunshine Coast and Central QLD are growing strongly, as is Brisbane in general.
Bit hard to pick one of these for a new team over another.

Good news for the Cowboys with very strong population growth in Cairns and Townsville. Similarily good news for the Titans.

_MayMoo 2

Juniors
I hear this said with complete confidence but I have yet to encounter such AT ALL. Whilst there are some CC people that are for the Bears, many are not at all. Actually most I meet think they should have their own team.

I do not think CC has adopted the Bears, the Bears have adopted the CC and want CC no matter what CC thinks.

Garbage,

There is significant support on the Central Coast for the Bears, sure there are some who want a team from scratch but there always will be.

Fairleigh, Flo and co have done great work up there getting this going again after the string of setbacks that have been well documented over the years.

Gallop said a few weeks back that there should be a team on the Central Coast and it makes sense for that team to be connnected to the North Shore of Sydney.

Why on earth would you start a brand new team up there that completely cuts out the thousands of ready willing and able punters ready to back the Bears. Established fan base, colours, hitory etc.
On top of the thousands of punters ready willing and able on the North Shore there are many in other areas including the Central Coast.

As for the other area, Should be Perth. Will it be ?- Who knows.

Teddyboy

First Grade

I know it will never happen or has happend but i can not help thinking that a Australia without AFL would be a better Australia.

Goddo

Bench
With an expanded competition, we would have to look at the structure of the NRL competition. We can't really play more rounds than we have now as it would leave the players absolutely shattered at the end of the year. we effectively play 24 rounds over 26 weeks now.

An 18 team comptetion where it was split into 3 pools of 6 teams might work. Say you are Team 1, play teams 2-18 over 17 rounds. Then have an additional 5 weeks playing the teams drawn in your pool. That would be 22 rounds. Then play 1 team in each of the two other pools once, bringing total games to 24 rounds. Then do the home and away split.

Here is something like the comp I would like to see in 5 years time

Pool 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Pool 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Pool 3
Canberra Raiders . . . . . . . . .Auckland Warriors . . . . . . . . . . Wests Tigers
Melbourne Storm . . . . . . . . . . .Wellington Orcas . . . . . . . . . . . Canterbury Bulldogs
Perth Reds . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Newcastle Knights . . . . . . . . . . Sydney Roosters
North Queensland Cowboys . . . Penrith Panthers . . . . . . . . . . . South Sydney Rabbitohs
Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles . . . Parramatta Eels . . . . . . . . . . . .Cronulla (Adelaide???) Sharks
Brisbane Broncos . . . . . . . . . . St George Illawarra Dragons . . . Gold Coast Titans

Canberra would play all teams, then teams in pool 1, then 1 team in pool 2 and another 1 team in pool 3. Once the Draw is done, then do the home/away split, and move rounds around to maximise crowds, eg make sure dragons roosters meet on ANZAC day, and heritage round teams line up in the same week.

Put State of Origin on the Weekend, give all teams three bye weekends.
Scrap City vs Country. Encourage non joint venture teams to take 1 home game to regions, especially regional NSW centers instead.
Make the Minor Premiership worth more, say $1 million.
Keep finals an 8 team competition.

Last edited:

macavity

Referee
Encourage non joint venture teams to take 1 home game to regions, especially regional NSW centers instead.

don't you mean non-regional teams?

I dont see the sense in Newcastle, NQ, Canberra taking games to "regional centres" when they play there every week!

Goddo

Bench
don't you mean non-regional teams?

I dont see the sense in Newcastle, NQ, Canberra taking games to "regional centres" when they play there every week!

Actually I mean both... St George and Wests hands are pretty much tied by ground splitting. Thats why the Dragons DO NOT move games. They can't.

Regional teams shouldn't move but think

Canberra playing 1 game in the Riverina...
Souths playing 1 game in Coffs Harbour...
Penrith taking a game to Lithgow or somewhere...

EDIT: First Post updated with details of the bids, relevant news and other internet links and proposed competition structure.

Last edited:

BuffaloRules

Coach
With an expanded competition, we would have to look at the structure of the NRL competition. We can't really play more rounds than we have now as it would leave the players absolutely shattered at the end of the year. we effectively play 24 rounds over 26 weeks now.

An 18 team comptetion where it was split into 3 pools of 6 teams might work. Say you are Team 1, play teams 2-18 over 17 rounds. Then have an additional 5 weeks playing the teams drawn in your pool. That would be 22 rounds. Then play 1 team in each of the two other pools once, bringing total games to 24 rounds. Then do the home and away split.

Here is something like the comp I would like to see in 5 years time

Pool 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Pool 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Pool 3
Canberra Raiders . . . . . . . . .Auckland Warriors . . . . . . . . . . Wests Tigers
Melbourne Storm . . . . . . . . . . .Wellington Orcas . . . . . . . . . . . Canterbury Bulldogs
Perth Reds . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Newcastle Knights . . . . . . . . . . Sydney Roosters
North Queensland Cowboys . . . Penrith Panthers . . . . . . . . . . . South Sydney Rabbitohs
Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles . . . Parramatta Eels . . . . . . . . . . . .Cronulla (Adelaide???) Sharks
Brisbane Broncos . . . . . . . . . . St George Illawarra Dragons . . . Gold Coast Titans

Canberra would play all teams, then teams in pool 1, then 1 team in pool 2 and another 1 team in pool 3. Once the Draw is done, then do the home/away split, and move rounds around to maximise crowds, eg make sure dragons roosters meet on ANZAC day, and heritage round teams line up in the same week.

Put State of Origin on the Weekend, give all teams three bye weekends.
Scrap City vs Country. Encourage non joint venture teams to take 1 home game to regions, especially regional NSW centers instead.
Make the Minor Premiership worth more, say $1 million.
Keep finals an 8 team competition.

2 pools of 9 teams....

Play Home and Away in your group - 16 games
Play other 9 teams once - 9 games

Extend the season by 1 week - 27 week season to keep 2 byes...

I would split the conferences between Sydney teams and the others to ensure that you keep the tribalism alive and to get bigger crowds in Sydney....
Also you are having your home and away derbies in QLD & NZ..

Pool 1 ...............Pool 2

Brisbane ..........Wests
NQ ...................ST George
GC ....................Manly
Auckland .........Parra
Wellington .......Souths
Perth ...............Roosters
Melbourne .........Dogs
Canberra ...........Penrith
Newcastle.......... Sharks

We can wish for Origin to be played on a weekend but its never going to happen - ratings are better on a mid week night....

Rockin Ronny

Juniors

Try this:
imagine if you had a 3 month contract, did all the work then the boss says "you earned $60,000 but I'm paying the money to that bloke over there".

You'd go ballistic claiming "but I did all the work, how can he be paid and me be left out of pocket".

Same with teh Beasr and Gosford.

The Bears were told to leave North Sydney.
The Bears were promised a regional licence.
Bears' members (albeit misled) voted to relocate because NRL said "do it or die".
The Bears instigated the building of Gosford Stadium and put millions of dollars into it.
The Bears have created the opportunity for the Central Coast to have their own NRL team.
the Bears have fought for 10 yea- singelhandedly - to keep this ideal alive despite teh efforts of the NRL and CRL to kill the Bears off.

Yet, you are saying that there are Central Coast people who would say "right, you've done all the work, we've just sat back on our arses and done nothing - but now we don't you involved".

That sort of person would be the lowest form of dog in the world - and NOT a true rugby league supporter.