What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

%$#@ off Benji

gordsy

Juniors
If we need a new coach, I’d say Brad Arthur is ready-made to turn our fortunes around.

Statistically he wins 300% more games than Benji and after a couple years made the eels competitive for some time.

All things being equal, he’d have us at 6 wins now, add the byes and we’d be in the top 8.

That’s instead of expecting to lose and hoping we can stay within 12-18 points.

Why we bet on a rookie coach to take us into yet another new era is baffling.

Im sure he means well and all that, but it’s a business decision. He will probably see the year out because we move at a glacial pace to effect any substantive change.

As the losses mount, I’m expecting him and Richo to become somewhat estranged. Richo can and will sack coaches no matter what. That’s how he rolls.

PS cheese is ready to leave the roosters.

I don’t want to miss Brad if we can help it.
Cheese is on big money at the Chooks and they want to piss him off. What's the chances he does better at a far less professional club ??? We would be pissing away huge money for someone who did well at the Storm only. We need to accept we will be shit for another three years and it will change after that.

Cheese is on big money at the Chooks and they want to piss him off. What's the chances he does better at a far less professional club ??? We would be pissing away huge money for someone who did well at the Storm only. We need to accept we will be shit for another three years and it will change after that.
Fair enough, I have my reservations too, but I’m casting a line to see what the folks at home think.

Don’t worry about the roosters, he wants out too I’m told.

He has the Iq of a kitchen sink plug.

Tiger05

First Grade
We need to accept we will be shit for another three years and it will change after that.

No we don't. This is the standard BS that comes up every year. I'll list some of the simplistic reasons that have been raised about why we are crap:-

1. Luke Brooks
2. Pascoe
3. Lee
4. The Board
5. Madge
6. Sheens

They've all come and gone and this is more recently.

There are no excuses not to be performing this year. We bought in heaps of players.

Next year we are bringing in Luai and Turuva.

I don't have the answer but the continual shithouse performances suck.

Nutz

Bench
No we don't. This is the standard BS that comes up every year. I'll list some of the simplistic reasons that have been raised about why we are crap:-

1. Luke Brooks
2. Pascoe
3. Lee
4. The Board
5. Madge
6. Sheens

There are no excuses not to be performing this year. We bought in heaps of players.

It's because we are a fractured club. If West Tigers were a completely stand alone club and let's say Concords's COE was on our land with a training paddock next to the main oval (home ground) that seats 25k and a huge Leagues club with pokies and all the other revenue like TAB etc just like the Broncis where I can sit on the balcony dining area and watch the players train. Then walk down to the oval and talk to players bla bla bla.
Not us, we are two clubs hanging onto the past and spread from arsehole to breakfast.
Too many people with their fingers in the pie and loyal only unto themselves.
One stand alone club, three grades run by one entity, WESTS TIGERS.

Tigerm

First Grade
It's because we are a fractured club. If West Tigers were a completely stand alone club and let's say Concords's COE was on our land with a training paddock next to the main oval (home ground) that seats 25k and a huge Leagues club with pokies and all the other revenue like TAB etc just like the Broncis where I can sit on the balcony dining area and watch the players train. Then walk down to the oval and talk to players bla bla bla.
Not us, we are two clubs hanging onto the past and spread from arsehole to breakfast.
It will never happen, as I don’t see either club giving up their identity and why should they?
I don’t see players using that as an excuse. If they are, then we need new players.

Tiger05

First Grade

I doubt it's this as well. I just think we are cursed at this point and there are no simplistic solutions. I completely agree it'd help if what you are suggesting happened but it's more than that.

It is though as simple as getting a good team on the paddock who are well coached.

The problem is that we continually get dud signings and have bad retention. So it's poor decisions being made consistently from different people in the organization over time and therefore everyone is to blame.

A good example is Benji coaching. It's a feel good story that isn't working. He is an inexperienced unproven NRL coach and we sacked Madge and Sheens to get him here. I also think we have to stick with him until his contract is over since he is probably just one issue and maybe he'll get it together.

Another example is our pack.

Props:- Stef/Klemmer - a young gun and an old bull
Second row:- Bateman/Papalli - two quality international players
Lock:- Pole/Samuela Fainu/Matamua/Seyfarth - admittedly this is a little weak but still it should be serviceable.

Bench:- Twal and the players not playing lock. I reckon this is pretty darn good.

How have they been so shithouse ?

I'm starting to think the only option is switching the TV off until they start winning.

Crazyperpman

Juniors
When a team is winning 14-12 at half time the coaching staff have done their job, when the same team comes out and gets beat 44 nil in the second half, that's on the players.

The key to getting out of this is getting players that buy in, keeping Juniors and buying smart. Three things that seemed to stop about 15 years ago.

Its not rocket science and we now have people in the club that have done this before, so I would hold course (For once) and lets see what happens.

gordsy

Juniors

1. Luke Brooks
2. Pascoe
3. Lee
4. The Board
5. Madge
6. Sheens

I would love us to turn it around next year and make th 8 but i doubt Luai and Turuva do it on there own. We have shown more grit in defence for the most part but there's no short term fix. We have some talent but they need time. Sacking Benji just puts us back to square one.

Tiger05

First Grade
I would love us to turn it around next year and make th 8 but i doubt Luai and Turuva do it on there own. We have shown more grit in defence for the most part but there's no short term fix. We have some talent but they need time. Sacking Benji just puts us back to square one.

In wouldn't sack him. It's pointless. The whole club needs to make good decisions every freaken day.

I don't want to bring up a sore point but we stuffed up with Nofo's contract years ago as well. We can't re-sign players on elite dollars if they don't deserve it. We just got to play the game smarter and hopefully win the comp next year (I know I'm delusional but that should be our aim).

westerntiger

Juniors

we are a perpetual performance vacuum. Olam and Isaiah Papali'i are nowhere near the abilities they had at Storm and Parra respectively. Api is the only one who has had a go.

Benji has already admitted that players aren’t listening to him and then he spoke about getting new players.

I’m not super sure hat criticising them publicly was to their direct benefit, it was more about putting himself forward and keeping us on side with him.

The presumption in his statement is that if they followed his instructions, we would have performed better.

Very hard to argue against given that collapse.

But maybe Its a two way street I.e It’s part of his job description to get them to listen and act on his advice.

Whatever we have, whoever is at fault, Benji plus 2024 squad are looking quite dysfunctional.

So I’d be inclined to let John coach for a few weeks to see if he can stem the losses.

Id just do it internally without publicising it. Benji needed in recruitment.

If they play for John and it’s a lot more obvious, we will have an idea.

Which is not boot Benji into the next world, but we need some ideas. We can stick to the system now and get flogged, or try to mix it up a bit, preferably without any blaming etc.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade

The journos smelling blood?
It may be good copy, but I don’t see Benji being in trouble yet.
The roster isn’t great, but it’s not bad, if it’s the player’s attitude going to shit, then imo, that is more on the players, than anyone else.
It shouldn’t be too hard to get the basics right.

The journos smelling blood?
It may be good copy, but I don’t see Benji being in trouble yet.
The roster isn’t great, but it’s not bad, if it’s the player’s attitude going to shit, then imo, that is more on the players, than anyone else.
It shouldn’t be too hard to get the basics right.

I agree with the general thesis of the journalist, but disagree with many of his specific points and snarky shot at Benji.

I think the culpability for shiz games of this recent proportion is at least joint coach and player failure.

And my point is that I think we know the players and Benji aren’t quite working the way they should.

If we stick to same old and things don’t improve, it’s harder for Benji.

So redistribute some powers internally and see what happens.

As for going on holiday, people kind of take it as a reward and compare their own life experience.

If our business was going as badly as WT, and one of the bosses went on holiday, that would be queried amongst the staff. It would just be natural.

The journo excuses it, but then doesn’t.
It’s an old journalistic play. Shakespeare used the technique!

So far as I know, in language analysis, the last point is the one the writer usually wants to stick with.

Nothing he has said is especially new or novel of course.

Brad has been mentioned in WTs social space since he was ( I think prematurely) sacked.

It gets a bit boring to see us beat up every day, the media underestimates us members and fans.

Last edited: