What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Expected crowds for the tournament

docbrown

Coach
The only RL ground in Australia or New Zealand that is capable of getting the 67k that Wembley got yesterday is ANZ Stadium. However, given the apathy of most Sydneysiders to attend tests (which has led the ARL to schedule test matches in other parts of Australia), it is highly unlikely ANZ Stadium will be hosting any matches in the 2017WC.

If the NRL treats and promotes international rugby league right over the next 4 years whose to say. If the bid cities are in competition I could see the NSW, VIC & NZ governments all fighting to promote the game.

4 qfs - perth, adelaide, wellington, brisbane
2 sfs - sydney, auckland
1 final - melbourne

undertaker

Coach
If the NRL treats and promotes international rugby league right over the next 4 years whose to say. If the bid cities are in competition I could see the NSW, VIC & NZ governments all fighting to promote the game.

2 sfs - sydney, auckland
1 final - melbourne

If the final is held in Melbourne, you mean the MCG? Etihad only seats 53-55k and if that were the case, you might as well hold the final at Suncorp which is in RL territory and you're guaranteed to get at least 50k.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd consider doing a semifinal double header like this weekend and let melbourne and Sydney battle over the right to host it. Final at Brisbane. Shame suncorp is that small but still the best choice to host the final.

Qf I'd have Auckland, Wellington, Perth and either melb or Sydney depending on final venue, presuming NZ are cohosts.

Misanthrope

Staff member
It's an odd opinion to have, but I really wish England was hosting the next World Cup too. There's an optimism among their fans that mean they'll show out in big numbers to watch them play.

Australians are too cynical and used to success. Sydneysiders, especially, are just too f**king lazy to get out and take part.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
It's an odd opinion to have, but I really wish England was hosting the next World Cup too. There's an optimism among their fans that mean they'll show out in big numbers to watch them play.

Australians are too cynical and used to success. Sydneysiders, especially, are just too f**king lazy to get out and take part.

Same here,wish they had the next one as well

Harrigan

Juniors
Or if we put actual crowd figures where the n/a's are we get 18,467 avg. But as a community we appear to be too stupid to do that.

Why would you do that?

It was a double header. 67,545 were sold for BOTH, not each. You're the dickhead for suggesting otherwise and obviously don't understand how this works.

Why botch the actual ticket sales just to try and make us look better than we actually are. I mean seriously. You're a deadset moron.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore

Sydneysiders need to become rugby league fans, not just eels, souths etc fans.

deluded pom?

Coach

We've set the bar. It's up to Australia and New Zealand to take it higher. Besides I don't want every WC in my backyard. It then loses it's appeal and no longer remains special. I've also started saving for 2017. ;-)

Springs

First Grade

2 sfs - sydney, auckland
1 final - melbourne

Melbourne? No way. Also Perth and Adelaide? No thanks, Perth for a group game sure but not finals.

I'd have the next final in NZ, just because it should be their turn to host the cup, and although they probably can't host the whole thing yet, they should be given the chance to host the final.

Quarters: Newcastle, Melbourne, Brisbane/Sydney, Wellington/Christchurch
Semis:
Sydney/Brisbane - Australian semi (assuming they make it)
Wellington/Christchurch - NZ semi (ditto)
Final - Eden Park

WireMan

Bench
Why would you do that?

It was a double header. 67,545 were sold for BOTH, not each. You're the dickhead for suggesting otherwise and obviously don't understand how this works.

Why botch the actual ticket sales just to try and make us look better than we actually are. I mean seriously. You're a deadset moron.

You divided the total by 27?

If you are going to count the double header as one event then it should be divided by 25.

So the average is 15,441.

Flapper

First Grade
Once more, crowds aren't based on tickets sold but tickets used. It's an argument people are seriously too thick to understand but if someone sat in Wembley for both games they should be counted for both games as they bloody well attended both games.

But since this argument always get bogged down by idiots wanting to slice people in 2 and not wanting to give the World Cup the crowd boost it's fully entitled to I'll just shut my yap on the subject.

WireMan

Bench
1. England v Australia - Cardiff - 45,052
N/A. Wales v Italy - Cardiff - n/a
2. PNG v France - Hull - 7,481
3. New Zealand v Samoa - Warrington - 14,965 - Sold Out
4. Fiji v Ireland - Rochdale - 8,872 - Sold Out
5. Tonga v Scotland - Workington - 7,630
6. USA v Cook Islands - Bristol - 7,247

7. New Zealand v France - Avignon - 17,518 - Sold Out
8. England v Ireland - Huddersfield - 24,375 - Sold Out
9. Australia v Fiji - St Helens - 14,137
10. Wales v USA - Wrexham - 8,019
11. Scotland v Italy - Workington - 9,280
12. PNG v Samoa - Hull - 6,871
13. Tonga v Cook Islands - Leigh - 10,544

14. Scotland v USA - Salford - 6,041
15. New Zealand v PNG - Leeds - 18,180
16. England v Fiji - Hull - 25,114 - Sold Out
17. Australia v Ireland - Limerick - 5,021
18. Wales v Cook Islands - Neath - 3,270
19. Tonga v Italy - Halifax - 10,266
20. France v Samoa - Perpignan - 11,576

21. New Zealand v Scotland - Leeds - 16,207
22. Australia v USA - Wrexham - 5,762
23. England v France - Wigan - 22,276
24. Fiji v Samoa - Warrington - 12,766
25. New Zealand v England - London - 67,545
N/A. Australia v Fiji - London - n/a

Total: 386,015
Average: 15,441.

theres been 2 double headers so divide it by 26

There will be 26 'events' at the end of the world cup. So if we add approx 70k to the total we will be looking at a very healthy world cup crowds wise.

All in all it has been a massive success and credit has to go to the organisers.

Yes there were a few blow out scores, but you get that in every world cup and there's not much you can do if 3 teams are so much better than the rest.
They have to play them sometime.

RHCP

Bench
I don't see why Melbourne couldn't host the final. Unless we plan to hold it at ANZ, we're only going to get 50k or so in Brisbane or a bit less at Allianz, so no fans would miss out.

We need to push the boundaries, but smartly, and I think Melbourne fits the bill for that perfectly.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Melbourne? No way. Also Perth and Adelaide? No thanks, Perth for a group game sure but not finals.

I'd have the next final in NZ, just because it should be their turn to host the cup, and although they probably can't host the whole thing yet, they should be given the chance to host the final.

Quarters: Newcastle, Melbourne, Brisbane/Sydney, Wellington/Christchurch
Semis:
Sydney/Brisbane - Australian semi (assuming they make it)
Wellington/Christchurch - NZ semi (ditto)
Final - Eden Park

Suggest you look at the crowds in Sydney in 2008, I can guarantee Perth would blow them out the water for non Australia/England games.

paulmac

Juniors
England should be based in Perth playing their group games at 8pm Saturdays so they can be beamed back to the UK via the BBC at midday.

docbrown

Coach
If the final is held in Melbourne, you mean the MCG? Etihad only seats 53-55k and if that were the case, you might as well hold the final at Suncorp which is in RL territory and you're guaranteed to get at least 50k.

Yes I mean the MCG. Rugby league if its supported by the government is capable of selling out the entire MCG for a World Cup final or semi final in advance.

Melbourne should have 1 pool game at AAMI & 1 final at MCG.

Now's the time to take our next World Cup not only national (including WA,NT,SA,VIC,TAS) but also international not just NZ but also PNG & Fiji.

Springs

First Grade
Suggest you look at the crowds in Sydney in 2008, I can guarantee Perth would blow them out the water for non Australia/England games.

Seriously? Sydney had 6 games last world cup. Do you really think Perth would 'blow them out of the water' if they had 6 games including the likes of France v Samoa?

I would give Perth an Australian group game, I don't see why we should be taking many more games to non-heartland areas. Have maybe a quarter final in Melbourne, no more. NSW/QLD/NZ for the rest of the finals games.

Latest posts