What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

f**k Off Extra Time

Do you like having extra time in the NRL?

• Total voters

Iafeta

Referee
Danish said:
I'm confused...

If golden point is so unnecessary and unfair for teams during the regular season, then why is it ok in finals games??

You cant argue that losing a club game in golden point is not ok, but losing a far more important semi in golden is.

Those who don't like golden point should want to scrap it all together and just go back to replaying the match if there is no result after 80 mins. Otherwise its just hypocritical

It'd be impractical, given the way OH&S legislation and the like is these days, can you imagine the players being through an extra game at the end of the season these days? Of course not. It shouldn't be golden point then either, it should be extra time. No golden play, just a finite period of play.

That in a nutshell is the whole point of this, there is a need to split the winners in a finals match, but there's no need whatsoever in the regular season.

Iafeta

Referee
Sea_Eagles_Rock said:
I would prefer golden try.

I find it a bit odd that Warriors fans are bucking that a draw is a result. The warriors have already had a draw this year. It just took 90 minutes to happen.

It was a draw at 80 minutes. Both sets of fans would agree, that was the right result. The just result. It would have been a travesty, a complete and utter injustice for either team to lose that given the way they'd both fought back at incredible odds during that game.

Iafeta

Referee
Danish said:
But the whole season going by the wayside because of one in normal time is ok??

Of course it is. You are conditioned to play 80 minutes. The game does not automatically end if you pot a field goal in regular time, you have a chance to fight back, unless the game has come to it's 80 minute conclusion which what was intended anyway.

Mary

Juniors
Keep extra time, ditch golden point imo.

GP is exciting yes, but it rewards luck rather than skill and that's why lots of people would like to see it go. I think extra time but no GP strikes a better balance between rewarding skill and throwing in some element of luck to make it exciting.

Danish

Referee
PARRA_FAN said:
Think about,

If the preliminary final is drawn after 80 minutes, who plays in the Grand Final then?

We did have replays back in the 70s, but they scrapped it cause teams dont want to play another game, just because it was drawn.

There is a difference in regular games during the season and finals games.

Of course there is a difference between regular season games and finals....

Finals are WAAAY more important, as they are sudden death.

Surely if the anti-GP brigade think it is so unfair for a regular season game to be decided in extra time, then a much more important finals game cant be decided this way either?

that is where the hypocracy comes into it.

CrazyEel

Bench
Mary said:
Keep extra time, ditch golden point imo.

GP is exciting yes, but it rewards luck rather than skill and that's why lots of people would like to see it go. I think extra time but no GP strikes a better balance between rewarding skill and throwing in some element of luck to make it exciting.
Totally agree.

Iafeta

Referee
Danish said:
Of course there is a difference between regular season games and finals....

Finals are WAAAY more important, as they are sudden death.

Surely if the anti-GP brigade think it is so unfair for a regular season game to be decided in extra time, then a much more important finals game cant be decided this way either?

that is where the hypocracy comes into it.

Golden point of course is the wrong way to decide a final. No rational person would want a season to end on that, but likewise you DO need a separater as opposed to regular season... so you have 10 minutes each way, a finite period of time. The other team has a chance to strike back if need be.

RalthFilthy

Juniors
I reckon GP should only be used in SOO and finals matches.
One reason is that it would shake the table up a bit so not as many places would be decided by for and against.
Some games deserve to be drawn and I'd rather see teams get a point each in a hard fought draw than a lucky dip FG competition.

griff

Bench
There's no real need for golden point in the regular season. A draw and both teams go home happy and looking forward to next week. Nothing wrong with a draw.

In the finals, it should be 5-10 mins each way, and if still locked up, then go to golden point extra time.

Do you really want to see a grand final decided because one team managed to jag a field goal in the 81st minute? Of course not.

It's no coincidence soccer has got rid of golden goal. It's because its a crap idea. You get much better games if a team scores in extra time and the other team goes all out to try and get them back.

Get a rid of it.A draw worked well without a problem for over 90 odd years.I would hate to be a team that misses out on the eight by a point.

fourplay

Juniors
How is golden point based on luck ?

Kicking a field goal is about skill... and its a full team effort in setting up the field goal.

Golden point is better than 5 minutes each way because its more exciting, you score and its game over all in celebrating, and its a lot more tense, you know one slip up and its game over, instead of "ok we have another 5 minutes dont worry." Its also better for the players not having to play unesessary minutes.

lockyno1

Post Whore
Just scrap the GP, either make it golden try or get rid of it. I hate GP, tehre is no need for it in league. Imagine a GF decided by this stupid system!

parramaniac2516

Juniors
Not a fan of GP and i would be happier with it gone. There is no place for it in the regular season and for the finals it should be extra time.

Knightmare

Coach
I don't like golden point in its' current form. It's just a field-goal shootout. I would much rather 'Golden Try', it would make for more entertaining football than the opposition half-backs kicking like geniuss until one of them can finally get it through the posts. If I wanted to watch that I'd go watch AFL!

Hass

Juniors
I hate golden point with a passion.

I hate it. I hate it. I hate it!

It's completely artificial.

Yes, draws can be disappointing sometimes. But I also get pretty disappointed with a loss. Can we play an extra ten minutes when my team loses by two points so I get the chance to not feel disapointed?

So your team doesn't win after 80 minutes - tough titties, take one competition point and get over it.

A draw was good because it was something different. We're used to the feeling of winning or the feeling of losing, but a draw gave you another type of feeling altogether. It's more or less lost to the game now.

I enjoyed walking away from a match with friend from the opposite team after a draw. Sure I would have liked to win. But we were able to develop something of a grudging truce. "We tried our best, you tried your best, but they still couldn't separate us. Let's have a beer."

The Warriors Roosters clash was an amazing match before we tacked ten minutes onto the end of it. As the final score showed - it didn't need a winner.

Extra time is needed in finals footbll because one team has to progress. That is the nature of finals football. It's different to regular season football and to pretend it isn't is to be misleading. Golden Point is a cancer on the finals too. It should be replaced by ten minutes each way.

Sport isn't fair at the best of times, but we should try our hardest to make it fair. Golden point just descreases the chances of us getting a fair outcome.

God I hate golden point!

effnic

Bench
Love the golden point ads extra excitment, and wouldnt mind at all if they changed it to golden try.

kav

Juniors
Golden Point only really comes into effect when the scores are levelled in the final minutes of a game; when that happens with 10 to go it's virtually like Golden Point anyway with both teams looking for the field goal. I think most fans want to see a winner not a shared result - surely that is the point of any competition. It is the reason I hate cricket - 5 days often with no winner. If you think Golden Point should be scrapped, consider the exhilaration of players on the winning side - that is the joy of sport and the comradeship that goes with it. Let the drama unfold.

Kav

RalthFilthy

Juniors
kav said:
I think most fans want to see a winner not a shared result - surely that is the point of any competition.

No, it is 50/50 if you bothered to look at the poll.
You can still have a competition winner with some drawn results through the regular season.

GP is joke and should be scrapped. Regular season games do not need it.