What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

f**k Off Extra Time

Do you like having extra time in the NRL?

• Total voters

God-King Dean

Immortal
eels_fan_01 said:
Im not angry at all, im being sarcastic i know that.

Oh well, i like it and its staying for now so i can be happy and everyone else can b*tch, meh.

:lol: You're sulking like a little b*tch

eels_fan_01

Bench
God-King Dean said:
:lol: You're sulking like a little b*tch

If you call sulking pointing out the fact that the reasons why people dont like golden point is because of the same things that happen in the 80 minutes then yes im sulking. You've hurt my feelings now.

God-King Dean

Immortal
eels_fan_01 said:
If you call sulking pointing out the fact that the reasons why people dont like golden point is because of the same things that happen in the 80 minutes then yes im sulking...

Nope. That's not sulking at all.

1 more minute of rugby league, how terrible. Yes i argue scrap the golden point because its making the game a farce.

Oh well, i like it and its staying for now so i can be happy and everyone else can b*tch, meh.

That is being a sook :lol:

eels_fan_01

Bench
PARRA_FAN said:
I think he means regular games, and keep the golden point for finals games only.

I know he meant that, its just obviously the game isnt always just played for 80 minutes.

Danish

Referee
I'm confused...

If golden point is so unnecessary and unfair for teams during the regular season, then why is it ok in finals games??

You cant argue that losing a club game in golden point is not ok, but losing a far more important semi in golden is.

Those who don't like golden point should want to scrap it all together and just go back to replaying the match if there is no result after 80 mins. Otherwise its just hypocritical

God-King Dean

Immortal
Danish said:
I'm confused...

If golden point is so unnecessary and unfair for teams during the regular season, then why is it ok in finals games??

You cant argue that losing a club game in golden point is not ok, but losing a far more important semi in golden is.

Those who don't like golden point should want to scrap it all together and just go back to replaying the match if there is no result after 80 mins. Otherwise its just hypocritical

They had extra time in finals in the old days as well. 10 minutes each way with the team winning at the end of it wins is fair.

ride the tiger

Juniors
fourplay said:
I seriously dont understand some of you people...

how can you NOT like golden point ??? WTF

ok so i understand how your brain works... which do you find more exciting ?

the period of extra time when every single run, every tackle, every inch made can make or break the game, a field goal hanging in the air to clinch the game, the pressure and the intensity where EVERYONE is up and out of their seats.

or

the blank period where everyone is walking home with a boring draw where no one is a winner..

think of all the great games this year, they have all been golden point, the great origins people talk about that went to golden point, and most of the great past games. How about the casual fan ? You think they would enjoy watching a dull draw ? my sister who is not even a football or sports fan couldnt help but stay glued to the TV for the roosters/warriors golden point period.

100% SPOT ON.

as the tigers have been screwed a number of times (mainly by refs) you'd expect me to be anti ET, but i love the increased tension that comes from it.

I can appreciate the frustration & possible unfairness involved in losing a game b/c of a flukey FG or a dodgy refs call after battling 80 mins, so maybe some tinkering needs to be done like:

* 1st to score either 2 FG's or one try wins, no penalty goals allowed, or

* would a soccer styled shoot out work? you get the ball 20 meters out & have a set to score a try. Then you swap & its the 1st to x amount of tries, or you get 10 sets & who ever is leading at the end wins.

CrazyEel

Bench
Danish said:
I'm confused...

The reason for "extra time" in finals is quite obvious, only one team can progress to the next week which is NOT the case in regular season games.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Danish said:
I'm confused...

Think about,

If the preliminary final is drawn after 80 minutes, who plays in the Grand Final then?

We did have replays back in the 70s, but they scrapped it cause teams dont want to play another game, just because it was drawn.

There is a difference in regular games during the season and finals games.

CrazyEel

Bench
PARRA_FAN said:
We did have replays back in the 70s, but they scrapped it cause teams dont want to play another game, just because it was drawn.
Replays were only ever played when teams were still drawn after the "extra time". It has always been that way in finals

eels_fan_01

Bench
I think everyone realizes why they have extra time or golden point to determine who advances but it pretty much dispels the argument of "rugby league is over 80 minutes and always has been." It hasn't.

JoeD

First Grade
Hate GP. It unfairly rewards one team and unfairly punishes the other. If you haven't won after 80 minutes you don't deserve the 2 points, if you haven't lost after 80 then you deserve more than 0 points.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
CrazyEel said:
Replays were only ever played when teams were still drawn after the "extra time". It has always been that way in finals

but in 1978, there was a semi final between Manly and Parramatta, both teams drew the game after 80 minutes, and they decided to play the replay on Tuesday without extra time.

The same thing occured in the Grand Final, no extra time.

In 1977, they did have extra time, both St George and Parramatta played 20 minutes and after that it was replayed on a Tuesday.

After 1978, they reverted back to the normal extra time and a possible replay, and had been the rule up until 1998. (excluding SL, who introduced the golden point extra time after 20 minutes)

eels_fan_01

Bench
JoeD said:
Hate GP. It unfairly rewards one team and unfairly punishes the other. If you haven't won after 80 minutes you don't deserve the 2 points, if you haven't lost after 80 then you deserve more than 0 points.

So in a final, the team is unfairly punished aswell?

Latest posts