What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

f**k Off Extra Time

Do you like having extra time in the NRL?

• Total voters

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
I would prefer golden try.

I find it a bit odd that Warriors fans are bucking that a draw is a result. The warriors have already had a draw this year. It just took 90 minutes to happen.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
bobmar28 said:
I like golden point and refs should continue to avoid giving penalties in field goal range

Even when it totally effects the outcome of a game - the Roosters being miles offside didn't allow the Warriors to get a decent field goal attempt off and gave them a clear advantage, for example.

parra pete

Referee
Teams play for two points
Half a point each at end of normal time, extra one point for the golden point winner...or one each if it is still a draw at the end of golden point.
The half point could become very valuable in determining a semi final position.
Simple...

RainMan

Juniors
fourplay said:
the period of extra time when every single run, every tackle, every inch made can make or break the game, a field goal hanging in the air to clinch the game, the pressure and the intensity where EVERYONE is up and out of their seats.

5 dummy half runs up the centre of the field and pot shot a field goal from maybe 30mtrs or more is not that entertaining.

azzah72

Bench
I personally like Golden Point but i would scrap it for regular games and only keep it for "must win" games.

Like semi's, grand finals, 2nd/3rd game of origin and thats it.

If people play to a draw in regualr season, they deserve the point each.

goboggo

Juniors
They aren't going to scrap it, there's too much excitement.

They should do one of two things:

#1 - 5 each way no matter who scores. They're professionals, they can handle 10 extra minutes once or twice a season.

#2 - a bloke emailed the Sunday Roast last year and suggested that they have 5 minutes each way where all points count, but a try automatically trumps any other score and ends the game.

ie if teams get offside to stop the try you can take the penalty goal (and the ref won't need balls of steel to give the extra time penalty) but that doesn't automatically win you the game. If neither team gets a 'Golden Try' within the 10 minutes then the team that scores the most points through penalties or field goals is the winner.

Matty Johns read the email and said "Genius. Best idea we've heard", yet that was the last that was heard of it.

Oh, and NO finals game should ever be decided by some crappy drop-goal-a-thon. Some of the best semi-finals I've seen have been extra time, 10 minutes each way, with both teams scoring. Finals shouldn't have Golden anything - let teams battle it out for the full 90/100.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
goboggo said:
#2 - a bloke emailed the Sunday Roast last year and suggested that they have 5 minutes each way where all points count, but a try automatically trumps any other score and ends the game.

ie if teams get offside to stop the try you can take the penalty goal (and the ref won't need balls of steel to give the extra time penalty) but that doesn't automatically win you the game. If neither team gets a 'Golden Try' within the 10 minutes then the team that scores the most points through penalties or field goals is the winner.

I suggested that about 3 years ago.

However, if a team had kicked three penalties and a field goal to go up by 7, the try wouldn't end the game.

The try would have to put the team in front.

Holla

Juniors
fourplay said:
the blank period where everyone is walking home with a boring draw where no one is a winner..

How about the casual fan ? You think they would enjoy watching a dull draw

Fourplay, you must be joking, eh!

There is no such thing as a dull or boring draw. They are some of the most exciting & entertaining games in the comp.

As for no one is a winner, Both teams are winners. If they cannot be separated after 80 minutes of battle then they share the points. 1 each.

Get rid of Golden Point. All it is, is a race to see who can kick a field goal first.
That my friend is NOT exciting.

Danish

Referee
Iafeta said:
Absolutely. In soccer, there is one form of scoring. A goal. In league, there's drop goal, penalty goal, try, conversion. A drop goal is a basic form of scoring, you'd hate to see your whole season go by the wayside because of one in artificial extra time.

But the whole season going by the wayside because of one in normal time is ok??

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I dont like it, never been a fan of it, never will.

Keep it for finals games only.

What was wrong with the draw anyway? Teams still get 1 point, 1 point better than no points and losing cause of a wobbly field goal. A bloody field goal. I wouldnt mind it if they changed to golden try, and the team that loses still gets a 1 point.

Its predictable golden point, I mean you know theyre just gonna go for field goals and there's too much controversey anyway, I mean teams are always offside trying to prevent field goals, and referees cant control the 10m. You get that penalty close to the line, like a strip when the replays show it was a blatant knock on.

Keep it a draw, imagine if a team misses the finals by 2 points, and they lost 2 golden point games by a field goal.

And some players wouldnt mind a draw and dont want to play the extended time. Only if it was needed, like in semi finals.

I know its exciting, but isnt a draw exciting anyway.

And on Wayne Bennett in 2003, was he excited cause he won in golden point and liked it? I reckon it was cause he beat Melbourne, I remember they were struggling at the time and Melbourne were a good side. I still think he hates golden point.

I just hope to celebrate 100 years of Rugby League we just keep draws.

eels_fan_01

Bench
PARRA_FAN said:
I dont like it, never been a fan of it, never will.

Keep it for finals games only.

What was wrong with the draw anyway? Teams still get 1 point, 1 point better than no points and losing cause of a wobbly field goal. A bloody field goal. I wouldnt mind it if they changed to golden try, and the team that loses still gets a 1 point.

Its predictable golden point, I mean you know theyre just gonna go for field goals and there's too much controversey anyway, I mean teams are always offside trying to prevent field goals, and referees cant control the 10m. You get that penalty close to the line, like a strip when the replays show it was a blatant knock on.

Keep it a draw, imagine if a team misses the finals by 2 points, and they lost 2 golden point games by a field goal.

And some players wouldnt mind a draw and dont want to play the extended time. Only if it was needed, like in semi finals.

I know its exciting, but isnt a draw exciting anyway.

And on Wayne Bennett in 2003, was he excited cause he won in golden point and liked it? I reckon it was cause he beat Melbourne, I remember they were struggling at the time and Melbourne were a good side. I still think he hates golden point.

I just hope to celebrate 100 years of Rugby League we just keep draws.

Well if you wanna celebrate 100 years then bring back the 5 metre rule and unlimited tackles too, i mean everyone says oh theres always been draws in the game well now theres not in 100 years it will a tradition to have golden point, id say get used to it.

As i said i remember when it was a draw, all fans used to walk out of there like they lost. It sucks.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
fans will be a little disappointed with a draw, but you also see some fans excited about a good game cause their team held on to draw a game, and got 1 point.

fans will be even more disappointed if they lost in golden point, and got nothing out of it.

As I said it'll better if teams got a point each in golden point.

eels_fan_01

Bench
PARRA_FAN said:
fans will be a little disappointed with a draw, but you also see some fans excited about a good game cause their team held on to draw a game, and got 1 point.

fans will be even more disappointed if they lost in golden point, and got nothing out of it.

As I said it'll better if teams got a point each in golden point.

I'd rather see the excitement the Sharks fans got out of the golden point then seeing 20 people in 13 thousand happy because their team got a point.

Sure i was disappointed, i was at the game but if we would have won the place would have gone crazy. The NRL is great with this, theres winners and losers and no in-between which i like.

God-King Dean

Immortal
At first I loved the idea... but after the first year I thought it was sh*thouse.

After the time you're giving, if you haven't won, stiff sh*t, you get 2 point. Kicking a fieldgoal in extratime just cheapens the game.

eels_fan_01

Bench
God-King Dean said:
At first I loved the idea... but after the first year I thought it was sh*thouse.

After the time you're giving, if you haven't won, stiff sh*t, you get 2 point. Kicking a fieldgoal in extratime just cheapens the game.

Apose to kicking a field goal in the final seconds of a match, that doesnt cheapen it? Most peoples arguements seem to be things that happen regularly in 80 minutes which seems stupid.

eels_fan_01

Bench
God-King Dean said:

Oh i see so kicking a field goal 30 seconds before full time is ok but kicking a field goal 30 seconds into golden point cheapens it? 1 more minute of rugby league, how terrible. Yes i argue scrap the golden point because its making the game a farce.

God-King Dean

Immortal
eels_fan_01 said:
Oh i see so kicking a field goal 30 seconds before full time is ok but kicking a field goal 30 seconds into golden point cheapens it? 1 more minute of rugby league, how terrible. Yes i argue scrap the golden point because its making the game a farce.

Why you getting angry ? No need to be a sarcastic pr*ck.

80 minutes is the time you're given... fair game. But at the end of the game for the NRL to say, alright we'll give you 10 minutes to see who kicks a field goal first & they'll get all the rewards. This just so the fans will get their jollies off.

It sucks, & I'll bet my bottom dollar most players would agree.

eels_fan_01

Bench
God-King Dean said:
Why you getting angry ? No need to be a sarcastic pr*ck.

80 minutes is the time you're given... fair game. But at the end of the game for the NRL to say, alright we'll give you 10 minutes to see who kicks a field goal first & they'll get all the rewards. This just so the fans will get their jollies off.

It sucks, & I'll bet my bottom dollar most players would agree.

Im not angry at all, im being sarcastic i know that.

Im just pointing out the fact that everyone who doesnt like golden point tries to point out the reasons it shouldnt be there such us the teams play boring football, they are always trying to kick field goals, that happens in the 80 minutes but no one complains.

Oh well, i like it and its staying for now so i can be happy and everyone else can b*tch, meh.